PDA

View Full Version : Thrustmaster 300 desintegrating - advice please

Sl3ipner
09-10-2015, 21:11
Well "desintegrating" may be a bit harsh but it caught your attention :)

Thing is, recently bought the wheel, and have used it less than a week on a Wheelstand Pro (which is a real nice nice combo). Last 2 days the wheel has loosened from the base during play twice.

I have fastened as required, "tighten the ring as much as you can" and then "tighten the small attatchment screw (do not use excessive force)".
The second time I used reasonable "excessive force", but it loosened anyway.

Im thinking of giving the darn thing a bit of glue, thereby risking burning a bridge I might want to pass later.

So.. Any advice guys, before I fetch the glue..?

PS: bought Project Cars back when it went gold, but have only now started playing. Am impressed..

morpwr
09-10-2015, 21:21
This may sound stupid but is the screw all the way in? I did the same thing as i didnt want to break it. The screw will go all the way in and it wont loosen up anymore.

Sl3ipner
09-10-2015, 21:31
This may sound stupid but is the screw all the way in? I did the same thing as i didnt want to break it. The screw will go all the way in and it wont loosen up anymore.

Hehehe not stupid Sir, I think tomorrow I will do exactly that! :)

I now realize I will have to redefine the term "excessive force".....

Thx a bunch!

Mr.Smoke
09-10-2015, 22:11
Blue loctite will stop them from backing out!!

rams1de
09-10-2015, 22:38
Blue loctite will stop them from backing out!!

It needs to be a reversible solution in case the OP wants to upgrade to one of Thrustmaster's Eco system options. :victorious:

Mr.Smoke
09-10-2015, 22:48
Blue loctite is reversible. The red stuff is the permanent stuff which isnt reversible.

Paulzx
10-10-2015, 08:51
Are you using the plastic clamp that comes with the wheel?

If so, don't bother, it slips on the base plate too easily. I had all this trouble until I got from wheel stand pro, the correct smaller base plate
designed for this wheel, which also has drill holes which you then screw through the bottom of the plate into the wheel, job done.

Same deal with the pedals, you need the correct retaining bars to clamp the pedals in place by screwing into the base of the pedals

Sl3ipner
10-10-2015, 09:38
Are you using the plastic clamp that comes with the wheel?

If so, don't bother, it slips on the base plate too easily. I had all this trouble until I got from wheel stand pro, the correct smaller base plate
designed for this wheel, which also has drill holes which you then screw through the bottom of the plate into the wheel, job done.

Same deal with the pedals, you need the correct retaining bars to clamp the pedals in place by screwing into the base of the pedals

Greetings Paulzx :)

Im afraid you have misunderstood my problem, it is the Thrustmaster wheel that goes apart (wheel loosens from base). The connection to the Wheelstand is solid and good :)

As morpw suggested above the philips screw can indeed be driven all the way in. Im confident the wheel is now fixed :)

knock on wood...

On a side note: I have within the last 24 hours had 2 stupid beginners questions on this forum, both promptly answered and solved. Good Karma here, thx all. :)

wyldanimal
11-10-2015, 00:18
Greetings Paulzx :)

Im afraid you have misunderstood my problem, it is the Thrustmaster wheel that goes apart (wheel loosens from base). The connection to the Wheelstand is solid and good :)

As morpw suggested above the philips screw can indeed be driven all the way in. Im confident the wheel is now fixed :)

knock on wood...

On a side note: I have within the last 24 hours had 2 stupid beginners questions on this forum, both promptly answered and solved. Good Karma here, thx all. :)

Make sure you back off the big nut, so that Philip screw is over the flat, and not on the thread.
then drive it home into the flat.

morpwr
11-10-2015, 03:49
Blue loctite is reversible. The red stuff is the permanent stuff which isnt reversible.

Actually red isn't permanent you just need heat to remove it.

Mr.Smoke
11-10-2015, 07:21

I know. Its labelled as permanent though.

Tomcul
11-10-2015, 10:54
Just get a wood screw or self tapper that's slightly longer than the one that's in it.

wyldanimal
16-10-2015, 19:50

I know. Its labelled as permanent though.

Guys, This is the BIG Plastic NUT that hold the Wheel to the Base..

DO NOT use any type of Thread Locker.. not on this BIG Plastic Nut...

Had to Laugh - RED can be removed with Heat.. By the time red is removed by Heat, the Heat will have melted all the Plastic...

If Anything, some Hard hand Soap rubbed on the threads to make it work easier, and then Drive that Locking screw all the way into the Flat.