PDA

View Full Version : What was happened to graphic quality after patch 5.0?

kacperflak
10-10-2015, 00:47
1. I playing since ver. 1.0 always all ultra + 4K
2. After patch 5.0 graphic is massivelly improved to me. I do not see any differences in quality of textures and geometry but reflections/shadows/contrast/exposure compensation/saturation/tonal range became near photorealistic now.
3. I did not change absolutelly anything (settings/drivers/drivers setting/display etc)
4. I can't see anything about improved graphic in changelog for patch 5.0
5. Does anybody could explain what was happened ?

Umer Ahmad
10-10-2015, 02:50
Did u try "-insane" ? It works.

konnos
10-10-2015, 09:54
You cleaned your glasses on that day after a loong time. About time!

P.S. I don't know!

Neil Bateman
10-10-2015, 10:42
Did u try "-insane" ? It works.

If this is a real launch option does it simply optimize for best quality by ramping all graphics upto high/ultra which you can do yourself or does it make changes some other way.

Only asking as i am unsure on which way round to set things like AA, MSAA, FXAA to get the best quality vs performace settings.

Depending on what i am doing i would prefer best quality for running races with fewer cars in clear weather but want to know what to change when running 30+ cars in a thunderstorm, i dont want to stick to lower quality settings which i need for the last example when i can ramp settings up for the first example.

Does this make any sense?

TrevorAustin
10-10-2015, 10:53
If this is a real launch option does it simply optimize for best quality by ramping all graphics upto high/ultra which you can do yourself or does it make changes some other way.

Only asking as i am unsure on which way round to set things like AA, MSAA, FXAA to get the best quality vs performace settings.

Depending on what i am doing i would prefer best quality for running races with fewer cars in clear weather but want to know what to change when running 30+ cars in a thunderstorm, i dont want to stick to lower quality settings which i need for the last example when i can ramp settings up for the first example.

Does this make any sense?

It is real and I believe the only change is reflection of other cars in yours.

Neil Bateman
10-10-2015, 10:58
It is real and I believe the only change is reflection of other cars in yours.

Thanks trevor, but assuming that it means insane (graphics) it would surely not change only one setting?

TrevorAustin
10-10-2015, 10:59
Thanks trevor, but assuming that it means insane (graphics) it would surely not change only one setting?

Well agreed but I think it does:)

Ian Bell
10-10-2015, 11:03
I have to say I love to hear this but I do think it's placebo or some other change that has happened coincidentally. pCARS has always looked awesome :)

Shaun1984
10-10-2015, 11:17
What is the point of it changing other car reflections on your car? It's a racing sim and you drive in Cockpit view anyway :rolleyes:

Invincible
10-10-2015, 11:28
What is the point of it changing other car reflections on your car? It's a racing sim and you drive in Cockpit view anyway :rolleyes:

No it gives the Ai cars the same ultra level reflections as the players car.

poirqc
10-10-2015, 11:32
It did make sense!

I recently upgraded my GPU and after some messing around, i think it's best to move things to ultra and tone down the AA and FXAA(SMAA) to get good FPS. Yeah, some AA is needed but shadow steps, viewdeep, etc is more important super smooth edges.

The only thing(well, it's not the only thing) i didn't put to ultra is the car model. It's good enough at high and it's one thing you can't see when racing. It's probably something that will hammer performance as more car are drawn.

You could probably put more AA since you have a 970.

Here's what i run.

Edit - on a side note, what help with texture/shadow flickering. I'm seeing that on Trees/fences/signs.

TrevorAustin
10-10-2015, 12:22
It did make sense!

I recently upgraded my GPU and after some messing around, i think it's best to move things to ultra and tone down the AA and FXAA(SMAA) to get good FPS. Yeah, some AA is needed but shadow steps, viewdeep, etc is more important super smooth edges.

The only thing(well, it's not the only thing) i didn't put to ultra is the car model. It's good enough at high and it's one thing you can't see when racing. It's probably something that will hammer performance as more car are drawn.

Here's what i run.

Edit - on a side note, what help with texture/shadow flickering. I'm seeing that on Trees/fences/signs.

DS2x or m

poirqc
10-10-2015, 13:20
I tried what you suggested and i may have not explained what i meant.

On Watkin glen short, when you take the first curve after the start, there's lots of tires with a banner that is on top of them. The tires comes out of the banner and start to flicker when you get close to them. But not that close, you can see it when taking the turn normaly.

I wondered if i only had to changed something in graphic options or it's how pCars renders those tire.

I'll try to post a screenshot of it.

This isn't the best screen shot but i'm see it accross the whole banner.

SeeNoWeevil
10-10-2015, 13:45
What PC setup can run all Ultra at 4k!? I have a high end i7 + 980Ti and still get drops below 60 in the wet at 1080p with most options on Ultra.

TrevorAustin
10-10-2015, 15:20
What PC setup can run all Ultra at 4k!? I have a high end i7 + 980Ti and still get drops below 60 in the wet at 1080p with most options on Ultra.

Mine can, reasonably comfortably.

SeeNoWeevil
10-10-2015, 21:15
Mine can, reasonably comfortably.

Everything on max and you don't get drops below 60 on a 30 car wet start? And that's with a single 980Ti? Hmm.

EDIT: I was running one of the 2x scaling AAs which is essentially the same as 4k. AA off and 2160p gives me the same framerate. I still get drops to around 50fps in large, night, wet grid starts.

jpilgrim82
14-10-2015, 18:27
How taxing is the -insane command line on fps?

Would a 4790k and gtx 970 struggle badly with it?

delahosh
14-10-2015, 19:57
Same Observation on PS4!
After Update 5.0 and first Start pCars, no Changes in Graphics. Then calibrated my T500 and restarted pCars and I got an Eyecatcher of Contrast-Improvement,
seems to me like "Deep Colour".. And it`s no Imagination!

(my last english Lesson is 20 Years ago ;-)

Invincible
14-10-2015, 19:59
How taxing is the -insane command line on fps?

Would a 4790k and gtx 970 struggle badly with it?

yes, it will. The Ai cars will have the same level of reflections as your car. Setting it to ultra alone without -insane chops my fps down by 15.

Neil Bateman
17-10-2015, 07:42
It did make sense!

Here's what i run.

Sorry for not replying poirqc, will take a look at this.

I only bought this up because i am very dissapointed with the performance i am getting compared to others with similar specs to mine.

For example if i use geforce experience optimize feature my frames can drop below 40 with 25 cars in clear weather, this leads me to believe that a mix of the wrong settings together really hampers performance but its knowing which change has the worst affect.

AA, FXAA and SMAA settings are a nightmare to work out which of each setting works well with the other as this tends to have a dramatic affect if these settings are wrong, in reality i dont really understand what these settings do it may be case of if you set AA to this whatever you do dont set SMAA to that.

I will run some tests with my current settings and yours and see the difference in fps as well as GPU and CPU usage.

poirqc
17-10-2015, 10:57
...AA, FXAA and SMAA settings are a nightmare to work out...

I'm probably wrong, i'm diging this far away in my memory.

AA is a multisampling that affect only edges, FXAA and SMAA work with surfaces between those edges.

In a car game, where edges are fairly static(dash, hood, etc), more AA makes sense. At the same time, scene AA(FXAA or SMAA) already have a tool on his side, multisampling(up to 16x), that already enhace the whole image a great deal. A good way to tuning this is probably to set AA to your liking with no scene AA(FXAA or SMAA) at first. Then put the least scene AA needed after.

Keep in mind that as you crank whatever AA, you're pushing more pixels. I think you're right about some combo needing more calculation while not being really better visually.

Cheers!

Neil Bateman
17-10-2015, 14:16
I'm probably wrong, i'm diging this far away in my memory.

AA is a multisampling that affect only edges, FXAA and SMAA work with surfaces between those edges.

In a car game, where edges are fairly static(dash, hood, etc), more AA makes sense. At the same time, scene AA(FXAA or SMAA) already have a tool on his side, multisampling(up to 16x), that already enhace the whole image a great deal. A good way to tuning this is probably to set AA to your liking with no scene AA(FXAA or SMAA) at first. Then put the least scene AA needed after.

Keep in mind that as you crank whatever AA, you're pushing more pixels. I think you're right about some combo needing more calculation while not being really better visually.

Cheers!

Thanks, i notice you can only have either FXAA or SMAA on but not both, if you have AA at 16x and you want to set one of those two things as well which is the best one to adjust.