PDA

View Full Version : McLaren P1 KERS question.

NemethR
10-10-2015, 12:05
I was driving the P1 today, and the KERS is applied automatically like in the LMP cars, but... How does it recharge itself, I seem to be unable to build up the KERS bar.

VanquishedVantage
10-10-2015, 12:12
Have you tried coasting?

Elmo
10-10-2015, 12:25
Compared to the Hybrid LMP1s it doesn't regenerate electrical energy during braking. It only recharges while you are not using the full power from the combustion engine by taking power away from it (or if you plug it into a socket outlet).

So technical it isn't even a KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery System).

Casey Ringley
10-10-2015, 12:38
That's right. It's more of an ERS-H system. Power comes off the turbo when it is not working 100% to reach target boost pressure. Much like the system on current F1 cars.

havocc
10-10-2015, 13:05
More a push to pass than a kers, once the charge is over there's no way to recharge

Casey Ringley
10-10-2015, 14:13
There is. It recharges when you are at cruising speed like on a highway. There is enough exhaust gas to use the turbo as a generator, but you aren't asking enough that it starts to discharge power to the wheels. Doesn't make for appreciable 'charging' when you are turning hot laps, but power does flow through the system in any case. The combustion engine alone is good for about 730hp, and even when the charge meter is empty, you can see more than that going to the wheels.

NemethR
10-10-2015, 15:16
That's right. It's more of an ERS-H system. Power comes off the turbo when it is not working 100% to reach target boost pressure. Much like the system on current F1 cars.

There is. It recharges when you are at cruising speed like on a highway. There is enough exhaust gas to use the turbo as a generator, but you aren't asking enough that it starts to discharge power to the wheels. Doesn't make for appreciable 'charging' when you are turning hot laps, but power does flow through the system in any case. The combustion engine alone is good for about 730hp, and even when the charge meter is empty, you can see more than that going to the wheels.

Thank you Casey for the answer, I will try it out, as I often end up with an Empty bar in Time Trial after a few laps, so I will try out how that cruising works.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
10-10-2015, 16:27
It works SLOWLY, but it does work. If you actually want to get back to maximum levels of power you're much better off restarting the session.