PDA

View Full Version : Changing steering ratios

MrBlacky
10-10-2015, 14:47
Hi, I just had a quick look in the already reported bug list but I couldn't find this one.

Sometimes your steering ratio changes while you are on track. Suddenly you have to rotate the wheel much more to get around the corner.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
10-10-2015, 15:50
I had this a few times during development after a physics hiccup/game stutter (and it could sometimes be reverted back after alt-tabbing), but I haven't had it happen for years now. =/

3800racingfool
10-10-2015, 16:09
I've had that happen occasionally. Most noticeably with the Audi R8 LMS. If you have the wheel/hands enabled you can see that they no longer sync to what you're doing with the wheel (ie: I turn my wheel 90º but the in-game wheel only turns ~45º) and the steering ratio likewise feels much slower than it was. I haven't tested it enough to be 100% sure, but it seems like it only happens when you manually set a different-from-default steering ratio in the car setup.

Liquid7394
10-10-2015, 16:30
Happened to me once.

karolski
10-10-2015, 17:15
I ALWAYS encounter the bug that changing steering ratio has no effect until you restart the session.
Also i encounter your described bug once a week.

sloppysmusic
21-01-2016, 04:44
Prefix:
I think what SMS/WMD have produced with Project Cars is amazing, innovative and frankly jaw-dropping so often, and have been enjoying it immensely even with a number of issues, large and small. I dont think there's a forum in the world I havent scoured for an answer to every one of them. Although a newcomer to these forums I reckon Im fairly expert in reading and understanding most of the major gripes and genuine complaints people have had about the game. One things sure though, anyone trouncing this game as unplayable would probably stare at our amazing sun without shades on (it burns!) or walk in a thunderstorm without an umbrella (its wet!). I could go on here, but if you like driving cool cars, fast and pushing them to the edge against 'challenging' (chose that word carefully) AI on accurate world tracks in realistic (and realistically annoying) weather conditions you should find something to love here. It's not everything for everybody but it hits that sweet spot for so many in so many ways. IMO!

Version PS4 v7(+8). Logitech G29 Wheel/Pedals. Pcars Dash Telemetry.

My MAJOR problem (bug/glitch?)....

AT LEAST ONE TUNE SETTING IS NEVER APPLIED TO CAR UNTIL AFTER GAME REBOOT
(This small but important find may have had devastating effects on all my cars tuning/handling in the past.)

I can state as an absolute proven/tested fact that when I change the steering ratio in the car setup it is NOT applied until after I exit the session, then the game and restart the game and session. It is then working fine. The PS4 itself does not need to be rebooted just Pcars (I have tested this also). It is a very obvious setting to change and test the results. I have ONLY tested/confirmed this one setting so cant confirm any others suffer from this bug/glitch (cannot be deliberate software behavior). However, once I nailed this problem down I remembered all the awful under-steering I had when I tried different cars out when starting the game, never being satisfied with each and moving on to others. Multiple posts on internet forums complain about under-steer in Pcars or awful handling even after tuning. If any of these people had tried to lower their steering ratio and noticed no difference they may have messed around with other tuning settings (I certainly did). Once getting the car to steer well, exiting the game and starting again with the same car the correct altered steering ratio suddenly kicks in and COMBINED with the users other steering tweaks makes the car undriveable in a straight line, spinning out at the slightest wheel or pedal input (Lord help controller users). This would also explain the huge amount of OVERSTEER twitch handling problems people have reported.
Although it is only happening to ME on MY PS4 with MY wheel, I have tested this extensively and after completing every tier of the career (except LMP2 doing that today) this is proven without any doubt at all. On a PC I would re-install the software but surely the PS4 does not have conflicting driver/config file issues? Should I re-install again? (already done once)
To be absolutely sure of this issue, I have changed the steering ratio from normal to absolute lowest in multiple cars, which should produce open-wheel like behavior. NO change shows at all during driving until after the reboot when the car responds very quickly and precisely to every wheel movement (the way I need it so I never select downshift instead of up with the paddle shifters anymore!)
I mentioned this last point on another forum and it was suggested my wheel calibration was at fault. This is definitely not the issue and would only serve to further mask the problem (like desperately tightening springs, changing brake balance etc did before). Wheel calibration is actually handled by the API I understand, direct X in Windows and whatever its called in the PS4. When the system is turned on the wheel spins/calibrates NOT when the game is started. The calibration IN game is to check all is working fine and to allow the user to make changes that suit his/her style. Like making 360 degrees emulate 720 in the actual game world car wheel. This WOULD work with the problem above but only temporarily. During the current game session the car would steer differently (but only tighter as you cannot emulate the other way ie 720 degrees your wheel = 360 degrees car and why would you…?). However as soon as you loaded the game up again bingo your new steering ratio works and now your wheel calibration is messed up (causing massive oversteering once more). If you needed to change your wheel calibration when you changed the steering ratio then you would need to do this EVERY time you changed car too, as each one has different steering ratios. No-one would tolerate this in 2016, its not like the nineties when you would need to edit a text file to config your hardware BEFORE you loaded a game…
If this issue is happening on MY PS4, then Murphy's law states it is almost certain to be occurring on at least ONE other person's too, and quite possibly EVERY PS4/Pcars (G29) install?
Changing a setting in the tuning menu should take place immediately when you drive in that session or else it should NOT be there, but in another place such as My Garage, and if rebooting the game is a requirement for the change to be applied it should state a reboot is required after making that change, like Windows programs often used to ask you to do. I cannot believe Pcars writes to/controls wheel hardware directly as this would be against a whole number of software licences...and bypasses the PS4 API so closely guarded by Sony (sympathy to all those G27 owners..)
Would LOVE to be shown as an idiot here..would be the quickest fix of all!

MINOR issue(s) (game design) - only here as not worth whines on their own:

DRONING REPETITIVE ENGINE SAMPLES WHILST IN THE PITS (someone else complained about this..doesnt bother me at all but while we there....)
This is explained in qualifying by the fact that all the AI cars will proceed out to the track in an obviously predetermined fashion, with equal short gaps in between. As this is unrealistic and robotic it accounts for the robotic sounding samples...VROOM….WHEEEE...VROOM...WHEEEE...VROOM...WHEEE...etc
A way more serious issue with this method of 'AI pit extraction' is in qualifying itself, especially when combined with fast (more delicate) cars and higher difficulty AI. As AI cars apparently do NOT have to warm up their tires during qualifying they bomb around the track like lunatics whilst I am carefully trying to warm my tires up. On most tight tracks getting around the track for the first lap without receiving any damage from the AI is just, well impossible Im afraid for my limited dodgem car skills (with full damage on). Ive quit many qualifying sessions under a cloud (literally)and gone straight to the race in last place with zero AI difficulty to get around this on multiple occasions.
At the moment I use Pcars dash to show the track and cars on it. I press DRIVE the moment it appears with less than 10ms delay (note there are usually 2 cars ahead of me at this point), then proceed to exit the pits and park on the side of the road whilst I wait for all the cars to pass in exact pinpoint time-spaced precision, literally like a spaced-out train. I then follow behind at a safe distance so I can warm my tires up and qualify at full speed without being taken out by the AI behind (Ive sped up now of course) or encountering slow AI in front.
This approach whilst effective is totally silly and takes all belief away that I may be racing real opponents (although its perfect for lining up that coffee/beer/snack etc).
IF its not easy to force the AI to use cold tires (slowing them down artificially for a lap is a work around but a bodge) then at least could the devs use a random algorithm for their pit exits? That way a gap would appear BEFORE the last of 25 odd cars has passed (good luck at Azure circuit…) and you may for once actually be able to get out on the track FIRST now and then! This would be easy to implement/change surely? For those of us who tune their cars before we drive them a restart would not be required anymore too so we dont run out of time.

Tires wearing down whilst parked?:

As a by product of the above workaround I have discovered possible unrealistic tire modeling? On two occasions I have parked on the side of the track straight after the pits at the start of a session then gone on to another task, come back to the game much later and noticed my tires are down to 10% after an hour or so. Is tire wear directly related to actual rubber/track/distance interaction or a simple time formula? In both cases my mileage was less than 400 yards, and the engine was turned off on the second occasion too. Will test this more as its only in “pcars dash” Android app telemetry that the wear has shown, but am presuming its only reporting the game data it is receiving.
Footnote: just left car in garage during setup in 30 min qualifier did NOT select drive, left game for 3 hours tires on 2% when I got back. In pcars dash...cant check cars telemetry as session over but Ive noticed the tire telemetry still degrades even after session is over (in dash app).

Once again AWESOME sim/game, loving it to death - now back to Zolder after rebooting the game to get correct steering ratio applied. Happens when SAME car (all of them) is used at any DIFFERENT track/config. Once set it remains set for good. A workaround I just thought about would be to change steering in garage BEFORE using car, save to all circuits THEN restart game. Wont work now as it would wipe all my sweet, adorable tunes ;D

FInroDz
21-01-2016, 07:36
http://youtu.be/qbzck7cZid0

sloppysmusic
21-01-2016, 07:49
Thanks thats a great video which I will watch again tomorrow.. Problem is. It IS a bug. So glad I wasn't going insane... But it makes precise setups too hard as restarting session after every minor changes takes too long. In my case restarting the whole game. I will check again tomorrow that it needs that. Press restart session alone would be awesome that's what I use for the fuel calculator bug.. Which is why my stats show 500 or so races started only 200 won ��.. Well thanks again i learned from that video.. Just doesn't say more than just agree with the issue.. Please fix devs please!

IJOJOI
21-01-2016, 07:51
It is there since 2012 and never got fixed

sloppysmusic
21-01-2016, 08:09
It is the most troublesome bug in the game for me. It has made completing all career modes a real burden, and will prevent me doing any invitations except for fave cars and definitely without a doubt make sure I never replay the game from scratch one day. I will replay some of it though on harder levels as now the setups are saved. Stops it being a fave of all time.. Which is sad.. It wil be like that awesome ex you had to let go because of their drug problem!

FInroDz
21-01-2016, 08:48
Thanks thats a great video which I will watch again tomorrow.. Problem is. It IS a bug. So glad I wasn't going insane... But it makes precise setups too hard as restarting session after every minor changes takes too long. In my case restarting the whole game. I will check again tomorrow that it needs that. Press restart session alone would be awesome that's what I use for the fuel calculator bug.. Which is why my stats show 500 or so races started only 200 won ��.. Well thanks again i learned from that video.. Just doesn't say more than just agree with the issue.. Please fix devs please!

You are right, but there are still lots of people who don't know this issue.
The video is just a workaround. It has never been fixed, and so, we have to continue watching that video and hope for a solution :chargrined:

bmanic
21-01-2016, 09:03
Like people have said.. this issue has been reported many times and was never fixed. These are the kinds of bugs that make my blood boil. Surely it should be a pretty easy fix to do but for some very odd reason SMS is completely ignoring it.

Liquid7394
21-01-2016, 09:17
I don't know why this isn't fixed. Everyone has this bug so it isn't difficult to replicate.

sloppysmusic
21-01-2016, 14:06
I just thought of a much faster workaround.. Rather than reboot game after loading every new car/track session I will just go to my garage and edit EVERYONE single car I haven't driven already, set the steering ratio at its lowest, then save to ALL tracks THEY restart game. This should fix all the invitationals for me as they basically have all the cars I haven't used yet. All my fave cars I picked during career will still need resets every time if I use them again on 55/60 or so tracks they haven't been driven on yet though... But this idea fills me with joy.. Its a temporary fix but like the junkie says at the methadone clinic.. It will do for now..
BTW I would pay money to get this fixed. Literally. I will start at $100. Anyone else care to add to the pot? Or get me the dev kit and a dev ps4 and i will fix it myself. Can anyone confirm it's only on ps4 or is it on pc as well? It should be in the manual, at the end in a "known bugs and issues/troubleshooting" section. As its an online manual it would be easy to remove when fixed.. In fact ALL known bugs/issues should be there. Would clear up all doubt, hundreds of unnecessary forum posts and gain the respect of so many current and future customers. I have money to give you SMS! Please take it..
I am so relieved I took the time to write that post yesterday.. Thanks all for setting my mind at rest in that im not alone.

BigDad
21-01-2016, 14:55
You want to give them more cash ??? PFFT.
They should pay us as quality control and testers before it gets released .
When is the official release date for the Finished game?

sloppysmusic
21-01-2016, 17:54
You want to give them more cash ??? PFFT.
They should pay us as quality control and testers before it gets released .
When is the official release date for the Finished game?

Well, they are the new game pushers...they gave us a taste of what they can offer...I took a double dose, got hooked now I would do anything including PAY double just to get another fix, or in this case a better one with less stressful side effects :D
Im sure its called PROJECT cars for a reason...when its all done and dusted it will be renamed COMPLETE Cars for the GOTY edition...and will go down in history as best racing game ever...

sloppysmusic
21-01-2016, 17:59
Just edited EVERY single setup in garage for all cars that didnt have them..they now have min steering values set...a hatchet job for sure but I can get all cars around all corners now..
NB - discovered minor glitch in BMW garage while doing above task..

:- When selecting the LAST car at bottom of BMW list (cant remember which I have all DLC though) after exiting garage and going back you CANNOT select ANY BMW at all. The scroll bar is there but no highlighted car or way to go up or down in list..so no way to edit/select your BMW..UNTIL you exit the garage, select another makes car..choose it...then go BACK in BMW. ONLY happens on this one car at bottom of list for me. Do I get the record for finding the most obscure bug in Pcars now?!? :D

Ezuna
21-01-2016, 18:23
Is it fixed now or still an issue?

Thanks

TMoney
21-01-2016, 18:33
Can you be more specific? I can think of more than 1 steering related bugs.

Ezuna
21-01-2016, 19:41
Can you be more specific? I can think of more than 1 steering related bugs.

Ah sorry I'm thinking of this one :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbzck7cZid0&feature=cards&src_vid=eHoRr7EStA4&annotation_id=d731c393-40c6-4035-b68b-c6022c5061dd

Schnizz58
21-01-2016, 23:06
Still there I believe. Not sure what's taking so long. It's trivial to reproduce and annoying as hell.

Ixoye56
30-01-2016, 11:10
Still there with patch 8.0 :(

inthebagbud
30-01-2016, 11:25
Can't see this ever being fixed if it has been known about for so long, if it was around in 2012 and 3 years later still here it's here to stay I think.

sloppysmusic
30-01-2016, 12:50
I ended up literally editing every single car in my garage and setting all ratios to minimum settings then rebooting ps4. This was no quick or easy task but when I am determined to fix a glaring, game breaking bug nothing will stop me. Now I can steer every car in the game around every corner without throwing the wheel around rally style. The massive increase in steering accuracy has now had the added improvement I turn all LSD settings to zero and am loving the precise control. In all vehicle types. Sooooo.. I withdraw my offer to pay extra for this to be fixed. I would however still accept a dev ps4 and the relevant software manuals plus game code in order to find and fix this issue myself in my own time. I'm sure it's not a simple issue, but nothing in life worth fixing ever is....

inthebagbud
30-01-2016, 13:07
I ended up literally editing every single car in my garage and setting all ratios to minimum settings then rebooting ps4. This was no quick or easy task but when I am determined to fix a glaring, game breaking bug nothing will stop me. Now I can steer every car in the game around every corner without throwing the wheel around rally style. The massive increase in steering accuracy has now had the added improvement I turn all LSD settings to zero and am loving the precise control. In all vehicle types. Sooooo.. I withdraw my offer to pay extra for this to be fixed. I would however still accept a dev ps4 and the relevant software manuals plus game code in order to find and fix this issue myself in my own time. I'm sure it's not a simple issue, but nothing in life worth fixing ever is....

wow that's a bit of a nuclear option - are you wheel or controller

Having them on the lowest setting does that not make some cars too sharp

Also what do you mean by LSD

sloppysmusic
30-01-2016, 13:26
wow that's a bit of a nuclear option - are you wheel or controller

Having them on the lowest setting does that not make some cars too sharp

Also what do you mean by LSD

I'm on G29 wheel. None of the cars are too sharp.. Im loving it.. Game came alive again..if there's oversteer I can now fix in tuning.. The way it is supposed to work.. LSD being limited slip differential. When the car reads your brake and acceleration inputs and decides whether to send them to the car.. Or NOT send them. Like when you give it too much gas in a corner and spin out.. Or brake too hard and wobble around. Better IMHO to have complete control.. Side effects include the ability to drift LMP1 cars now.. Awesome fun ��

sloppysmusic
30-01-2016, 13:31
Steering ratio is the most important tune option there is. If you cant point your car in the direction you want to, none of the other settings mean jack.

30-01-2016, 13:58
I'm on G29 wheel. None of the cars are too sharp.. Im loving it.. Game came alive again..if there's oversteer I can now fix in tuning.. The way it is supposed to work.. LSD being limited slip differential. When the car reads your brake and acceleration inputs and decides whether to send them to the car.. Or NOT send them. Like when you give it too much gas in a corner and spin out.. Or brake too hard and wobble around. Better IMHO to have complete control.. Side effects include the ability to drift LMP1 cars now.. Awesome fun ��Hehe, and here's me using 21:1 steering ratio on the Mustang Fastback 2+2. :D

To each their own, glad you've managed to improve your experience. =)
Steering ratio is the most important tune option there is. If you cant point your car in the direction you want to, none of the other settings mean jack.Personally I disagree with this massively, I'm well capable of driving a car around a track whether it has 9:1 or 19:1 steering ratio. I most commonly settle to around 12-13:1 with racing cars and 15:1 with road cars (or whatever their real ratio is if I can find that info), and rarely have to turn more than 90 degrees, which to me isn't in any way too much. I generally don't like having the steering ratio below 10:1, it reminds me too much of the old days when I used wheels limited to 180-270 degrees...

But that's just personally, like I said: To each their own. =)

sloppysmusic
30-01-2016, 14:22
Hehe, and here's me using 21:1 steering ratio on the Mustang Fastback 2+2. :D

To each their own, glad you've managed to improve your experience. =)Personally I disagree with this massively, I'm well capable of driving a car around a track whether it has 9:1 or 19:1 steering ratio. I most commonly settle to around 12-13:1 with racing cars and 15:1 with road cars (or whatever their real ratio is if I can find that info), and rarely have to turn more than 90 degrees, which to me isn't in any way too much. I generally don't like having the steering ratio below 10:1, it reminds me too much of the old days when I used wheels limited to 180-270 degrees...

But that's just personally, like I said: To each their own. =)

LOL i dont LIKE having absolute minimum ratio.. It just makes the game playable as opposed to NOT playable without multiple restarts. Min ratio gives me up to 180 degrees now which is great as i can keep my hands on the paddle shifters while I turn so no more blown engines ����
I agree it's more realistic turning the wheel several times in an old car without power steering in first gear to get around hairpins. I used to own an Austin Maxi you know..... But this just doesn cut it at Mazda in a race car. Dont forget this is just a workaround for me as you can't set ratios in game yet.. Those last seven words should really be in caps but I don't like to shout in public!

30-01-2016, 15:02
Huh, I've never found Laguna to need a faster ratio than 12.5:1 on any GT car, with that my steering input is at most 180 degrees in the sharpest corners (Corkscrew and the final corner), which is what I've seen on onboard videos from GTE and proto cars. I could consider going a bit faster for open-wheelers, though they usually are set up with that anyway, and turn in better naturally as well. The default 10.5:1 or so in the Formula C for example required at most 90 degrees out of me on Laguna Seca, which (comparing to some IndyCar/CART onboards) sounds about right.

sloppysmusic
30-01-2016, 22:03
Huh, I've never found Laguna to need a faster ratio than 12.5:1 on any GT car, with that my steering input is at most 180 degrees in the sharpest corners (Corkscrew and the final corner), which is what I've seen on onboard videos from GTE and proto cars. I could consider going a bit faster for open-wheelers, though they usually are set up with that anyway, and turn in better naturally as well. The default 10.5:1 or so in the Formula C for example required at most 90 degrees out of me on Laguna Seca, which (comparing to some IndyCar/CART onboards) sounds about right.

Ok we going off point here. i would LOVE to discuss steering ratios, especially getting them as accurate to RW as possible, as well as in-game handling. However, this is a thread dedicated to the bug that STOPS steering ratios being applied until after game or complete session (restart in session is not enough) has been restarted. Therefore tinkering and fine tuning them is impractical unless you only use a very few cars. For people like me trying to 'complete' every single race + invitation in the game it is wildly impractical.

I do acknowledge your skillful diversion from this point, and the very subtle and polite attempt to label me as 'not yer typical driver', thereby defusing this particular issue.
This I find mildly amusing and entertaining (true!) as the following apply here:

I am using a stock PS4 running latest system software and v8 Pcars.
I am using the 'official' PS4 racing wheel, the G29.
I like my games/sims to work 'out of the box'.
I like 'completing' every game, on hardest settings. Realism etc. This also means if there is a bug there I will find it eventually.
I am a potential Pcars 2 customer
...I believe the above points make me a very typical PS4 user/gamer/etc.

I enjoy spending many, many hours tinkering with sims to make them better, faster, improving my personal skills etc, and not spending hours/days making them actually playable in the first place.
The game is now completely playable to me as all cars work well with min steering rations, albeit they are super responsive.

Case in point - just started German Supercar Invite - 3 cars, 2 x RUF and the other Gumpert(which I chose). none of these had I driven or tested before on any track in the game. Loaded each up into practice, with
3 laps of fuel, all aids off including LSD and lazily drove 2 laps with each. All drove easily with min ratios set, although not very fast as not tuned, making 1:47/1:50 times on 2nd laps with all of them. Wheel rotation was smooth
and like a real car, in that the tightest turn (hairpin in national track i used) needed just a 180 degree crossover to navigate at slow speed. Very accurate steering in all cases, only driver at fault for slow times.

I come from a background of IT, programming, support and consulting. I am the Terminator (tm) of bugs. I never, ever stop until said bug is squashed. I cannot be reasoned with by or do not feel pity towards
software developers who's attitude is 'its good enough as it is' rather than 'we acknowledge this issue and WILL fix it'.

This very good game deserves to be GREAT. Then roll on Pcars 2..

PS..I DO love the game..and would be happy and able to be involved in its improvement, and with the development of expansions and/or sequels. Give me a job and I will do it, no excuses. or I will tell you honestly I cant do it myself. NEVER that it is not doable.

blinkngone
01-02-2016, 00:27
Thank you very much sloppymusic! I tried a lower steering ratio (6;1) on the Bentley Speed 8. It made the car come alive for me, only run 1 track so far (Silverstone National). I had tried 4.5:1 but I couldn't get my Force Feedback (G 25) to stop oscillating, with the 6:1 it's fine. [I] had often wondered why the steering would quit after the apex of a 60 mph turn, I could turn my wheel quickly 2 turns to lock and back without changing it's course, unable to tighten the turn. There are many 180 slow speed corners in PCars that were frustrating to me and I will try to test them but as you mentioned this is going to be very time consuming, at least now there is some light. Thanks.

sloppysmusic
01-02-2016, 01:12
Hey blinkngone you are welcome! The game is SO playable now for me Im loving it again. One other setting I changed today may be of help too. I noticed in control settings my G29 wheel had deadzone 1 and sensitivity set as 50 by default. Had it been set to 100 by default maybe the cars would have been drivable by default? Doesn't fix the bug described in this thread but may bypass/compromise pretty well.
I changed DZ to 0 and sensitivity to 100% and everything is more responsive now. For the first time some cars are actually TOO easy to steer, and might need adjusting the SR DOWN. This of course will have to wait until the bug is fixed, if ever. In the meantime if you DO set all your rations real low and restart game, you can easily adjust the sensitivity of the wheel from 50% to 100% or down again to less like 25% if they are too tight. If you already knew this Im sorry! Otherwise keep enjoying this super game.

blinkngone
01-02-2016, 01:42
Hey again. I managed to cut my time .156(46.880 to 46.724), big deal for me because I had given up on this car/track combo. The car is much faster than this, I am just making too many mistakes, car is driving differently. I have a good feel with adjustments I have made to FY, FZ and MZ.

sloppysmusic
01-02-2016, 02:05
Hey again. I managed to cut my time .156(46.880 to 46.724), big deal for me because I had given up on this car/track combo. The car is much faster than this, I am just making too many mistakes, car is driving differently. I have a good feel with adjustments I have made to FY, FZ and MZ.

Hey, sweet. Please share your setup at the following site so I and others can try it out, if you havent already!
:D

http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/bycar

Eckenbrueller
15-03-2016, 14:50
Hi, I just had a quick look in the already reported bug list but I couldn't find this one.

Sometimes your steering ratio changes while you are on track. Suddenly you have to rotate the wheel much more to get around the corner.

Thanks

I've had that happen occasionally. Most noticeably with the Audi R8 LMS. If you have the wheel/hands enabled you can see that they no longer sync to what you're doing with the wheel (ie: I turn my wheel 90º but the in-game wheel only turns ~45º) and the steering ratio likewise feels much slower than it was. I haven't tested it enough to be 100% sure, but it seems like it only happens when you manually set a different-from-default steering ratio in the car setup.

Hi,

after having this problem only a few times in the past in now happens to me every time i play the game. Online Racing is impossible now for me, because suddenly crashing into other players because the ingame-steering opens up in the middle of a corner aint good.

I found three solutions:
-calibrating the wheel in the game
-restarting the game
-reconnect the wheel

It will then work again for a while, but the problem will come back. The steering ratio will change only once, it does not get any worse or better after that change. I did not change the steering ratio in the setup menu on any car.

Any Ideas? I would like to keep enjoying this game. :D

Roger Prynne
15-03-2016, 16:01
^^^ What wheel?

Eckenbrueller
15-03-2016, 16:41
Sorry, i am using a Logitech G27.

IJOJOI
15-03-2016, 18:07
Sorry, i am using a Logitech G27.

THAT is definitely G27 exclusive, since I switched wheels it doesn't happen anymore.
I think it's due to the G27 driver being that old.

The workaroud for me was:
1.) Starting Pcars
2.) Closing the Gamelauncher

15-03-2016, 18:52
Also having this issue where the steering ratio changes to 900 degree mode while driving. Felt the steering snap while cornering and it's no longer sync with my movements. One of the recent patch caused this because I've never had it happen before in 500+ hours of gameplay. Anyway I fix it by alt tabbing.

15-03-2016, 18:53
Any specific reason you're not calibrating to 900 degrees by default? Or did I misunderstand you?

15-03-2016, 19:05
Any specific reason you're not calibrating to 900 degrees by default? Or did I misunderstand you?

It's calibrated to 900 in the profiler. What I meant was the car. Not all cars use full 900 degrees in game. Eg. The car has 540 degrees of steering angle, halfway while driving it can go to full 900 degrees & suddenly you have to turn more than you had before.

Eckenbrueller
15-03-2016, 19:10
THAT is definitely G27 exclusive, since I switched wheels it doesn't happen anymore.
I think it's due to the G27 driver being that old.

The workaroud for me was:
1.) Starting Pcars
2.) Closing the Gamelauncher

Thank you for your Help.

What du you mean by "closing game launcher"? I play PCars via steam, and if i close steam, it also closes the game. :confused:

This Problem only happens in Project Cars, i dont have any difficulties in other games.

15-03-2016, 19:24
It's calibrated to 900 in the profiler. What I meant was the car. Not all cars use full 900 degrees in game. Eg. The car has 540 degrees of steering angle, halfway while driving it can go to full 900 degrees & suddenly you have to turn more than you had before.Ah, OK gotcha. That happened to me twice during development when I was still using my G25, haven't seen it ever since switching to a T500.

Roger Prynne
15-03-2016, 20:25
Same as Jussi, happen twice during development with G25, but no probs since then.
I think the G27 is very prone to it, and I imagine it's got to be something to do with the drivers or CP.

Doesn't the G27 use the same drivers/software as the G25 though?

IJOJOI
15-03-2016, 21:24
Thank you for your Help.

What du you mean by "closing game launcher"? I play PCars via steam, and if i close steam, it also closes the game. :confused:

This Problem only happens in Project Cars, i dont have any difficulties in other games.
I mean Logitech's driver, The "Gaming Suit" or however it's called.
Its a small item in the taskbar.

Same as Jussi, happen twice during development with G25, but no probs since then.
I think the G27 is very prone to it, and I imagine it's got to be something to do with the drivers or CP.

Doesn't the G27 use the same drivers/software as the G25 though?

Yes it is G27 specific.
It's definitely on the driver side.

3800racingfool
15-03-2016, 21:29
I mean Logitech's driver, The "Gaming Suit" or however it's called.
Its a small item in the taskbar.

IME, closing that app causes pcars to freak out and not allow me to alt-tab back into it.

16-03-2016, 02:41
Ah, OK gotcha. That happened to me twice during development when I was still using my G25, haven't seen it ever since switching to a T500.

Thing is I played 500+ hours without encountering that issue before, and now I face it at least once a day so something broke it. I'm using the same equipment as before.

FR-Alan
16-03-2016, 08:30
For me it as been always existing. (i use a default wheel). To try to fix that, i calibrate again and again on the start of the game. Even with that, it happens mostly on the first online session. The wheel is too sensitive. Then i quit the session, rejoin and it seem to work at least for the session i rejoin.

Castrol r
16-03-2016, 09:22
My mad catz has been doing this since the last patch on xbo1
Had to calibrate it 3 times last night to get to work properly
One thing after another with this game

21-03-2016, 03:39
Manage to get a video of the problem. Video shows 2 laps as I wanted to show the comparison.

On the last lap T5(Variante Villeneuve)(2.05) is where it happened & I missed the apex, from there onwards you can see the steering become sluggish as I had to input twice the amount of steering lock compared to before.

At the tight chicane(Variante Alta) you can clearly see the comparison of the steering between the current(2.51) & previous lap(1.08)

This now happens at least once a day cost me > 1 sec per lap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBzgg5pUosM

29-03-2016, 17:34
New video of the issue to hopefully help in solving the issue. All I was doing was Time Trial, restarting after every lap/mistake. Quitting session to mess with car setup. Happen after 1 hour 52 minutes of gameplay.

Notice at 6 seconds the steering has a sudden snap. The workaround I currently use is to alt tab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7X53GRJ8Zg

Doge
30-03-2016, 18:31
This is not something exclusive of any wheel. It´s happened often to me joining an online session for a car+track I hace a setup for, only to go out on track and be welcomed by a car with a much slower ratio. Then you go out, you´re invited again, join again, and most times it´s back to normal. Given that your changes in the setup screen don´t do anything for the current session so it´s the best you can do.

Wheel turning strongly alone when you join or exit a room, wheel that goes off the center... that day 1 stuff still happens too. I don´t think there´s hope for some of these issues. I guess constantly re-starting your wheel is something I´ll have to get used to.

Brazman
02-04-2016, 11:04

Thanks

Not sure if this has already been suggested or not. I had this issue out of the blue about a week ago. I couldn't do a single race without it happening. I ended up unchecking Allow Game to Adjust Setting in Logitech profiler and it hasn't happened since. Worth a shot if you haven't tried it already.