PDA

View Full Version : I totally forgot just how much I love this

BCFCBristolRed
11-10-2015, 16:44
So, I took a little sabbatical from Project Cars (apart from doing community events) to give Forza 6 a good go. I have to say, really enjoyed and still am enjoying Forza. It's a decent racer, highly polished yadda yadda, we've heard it all already.

I put Project Cars on last night for a race weekend, just because I had remembered I'd downloaded the new DLC and not really given it a go yet. Had a wee practice on the free roam Mojave test track and, after finding my car control again (Forza really did change the way I race), I was really burning round corners and having a great time.

I set up a late evening race weekend at Imola in the BMW M3 GT with weather changing from dense fog to clear, 20 laps with 30 minute quali. Holy cerrraaaapppp!!! I genuinely forgot just how much I love this bloody game. The speed, the grip, the weather (oh my god the weather!!), the sound of the cars!!!! I was in racing heaven.

I'm sure I'll still enjoy Forza for the Lamborghini and Ferrari GT cars but Project Cars is a million (YES A MILLION!!) miles ahead of it.

I'm sorry for leaving you for an extended period Project Cars. Rekindling the flame feels great though.

Massive thanks to all of the SMS team and WMD members for what is, genuinely, the best racer out there for me!!

P.S. I've not made this thread for a Forza VS P:Cars war. Just wanted to express my sheer gratitude. What a time to be an Xbox One racer!!! :)

Sergi01978
11-10-2015, 17:03
Nice post and It's good to hear a balanced point of view.

You're probably enjoying the game a bit more than City's season so far?

BCFCBristolRed
11-10-2015, 17:10
Nice post and It's good to hear a balanced point of view.

You're probably enjoying the game a bit more than City's season so far?

Hahaha. Yeah, you could say that!

Dan77 DESTROYER
11-10-2015, 17:49
Good to see a thread like this pop up :)

I haven't been able to put this game down from launch and yes the previous bugs and current bugs really do p155 me off but the physics and the bits of the game that do work well make this so good to play.

Hopefully more will return for the real deal and we can all get racing :D

o2R Dsquared 07
11-10-2015, 18:33
I've moved over to Forza 6. I don't know why. Probably just to play with my friends who are all on Forza 6. Project Cars is a million times better than Forza 6.

PTG Baby Cow
11-10-2015, 18:43
Agree completely with op. Stopped to play fm6 already bored of it. Glad to be back with pcars.

BCFCBristolRed
11-10-2015, 18:47
I do usually play most racing games that come out for the Xbox, from F1 games to Dirt and so on. Not one of these has gripped me like Project Cars has, maybe Forza back in the 360 days but certainly Cars is going to take some beating. Maybe PCars 2 will do that job!? Haha

I'll still play Forza as there are a few things I want to unlock, namely achievements but for out and out racing, it's Project Cars all the way.

Rockefelluh
11-10-2015, 20:22
I often read some people don't mind static weather. But I always say you cannot say that until you've played a dynamic weather racer. It just totally takes on a new character. There feels like a million tracks and you are constantly adjusting to changing conditions.

ashasha
12-10-2015, 12:58
I often read some people don't mind static weather. But I always say you cannot say that until you've played a dynamic weather racer. It just totally takes on a new character. There feels like a million tracks and you are constantly adjusting to changing conditions.
I honestly don't like racing in the rain, but as I've gotten better it's nice to know that it's an option to pursue later on. I just don't play often enough to be consistent until many, many laps to get my legs back under me so to speak. It's just one more variable to screw up my already mediocre driving at this point. :)

Rockefelluh
12-10-2015, 13:50
I honestly don't like racing in the rain, but as I've gotten better it's nice to know that it's an option to pursue later on. I just don't play often enough to be consistent until many, many laps to get my legs back under me so to speak. It's just one more variable to screw up my already mediocre driving at this point. :)

Even without rain and night. Fog rolling in, clouds opening up the sun in your eyes on a turn makes it a different experience.

John Hargreaves
12-10-2015, 20:14
Yeah, I do like having quite subtle weather changes, like four slots, overcast>heavy>med>light cloud, early morning 10x weather. You barely notice it yet you're conscious of it at the same time, feels great.

AdM1
12-10-2015, 20:17
I love the dynamic time and weather. My favourite would be 4am start in fog, maybe some rain too. Then as the sun comes up for it to go light fog and then hazy or clear. Not a normal race condition but just loved doing that setting.

beetes_juice
13-10-2015, 19:09
I love the dynamic time and weather. My favourite would be 4am start in fog, maybe some rain too. Then as the sun comes up for it to go light fog and then hazy or clear. Not a normal race condition but just loved doing that setting.

AdM1, just put FM6 down and pop in PC. You know you wanna.:cool:

Haiden
13-10-2015, 21:01

Exactly! And they aren't limited to a few tracks. And the dynamic cycle makes pitting a relevant factor, creating a more realistic racing experience. You won't get that in Forza.

At this point, he just can't. Doing so would shatter the walls of his reality. :)

FIA
13-10-2015, 22:47
yes game is good, only wish would be for a mode to create your own championship
pick tracks, weather, car and race type, this is the missing mode for me
don't like the create one race mode......

AdM1
13-10-2015, 23:09

Haha I will again, lets see what 5.0 brings first ;).

The Gent
17-10-2015, 17:07
I brought Project cars after the disappointment of Forza 6. Forza maybe pretty but there's just no game there it is truly is the emperors new clothes.Project cars took me a little time to get to but now I really like this game.

2pfspiff
18-10-2015, 02:26
I tried to play Forza 6 today. Was working with a couple of wheel set ups that I got off of the Forza Forum site. Still couldn't drive the game. Car still felt like it was on ice. I picked up the controller to play with that and it still was not a fun experience. 1st 2 cars at the start of the race were gone. At least the AI was all over like Pcars so that felt the same. I do want to like the game, but it just isn't even remotely close to what Pcars offers as far as realism and immersion.

Ixoye56
18-10-2015, 09:17
Agree completely with op. Stopped to play fm6 already bored of it. Glad to be back with pcars.

I agree with you, I feel the same, PCars is the game for me, I have a new fresh installation ready for Patch 5.0, I feeling like a child waiting for Santa ;)

d4ninho
18-10-2015, 12:40
its clear pcars is a better game than forza yet it has taken too long to get it in a state where its playable properly online.

this means most have gone to the safety of forza and will not return, forza does not work with wheels properly and never will as its a controller game where as pcars is a wheel game, if only we could get wheel users to race this once again imagine the series we could put together.......ah the dream is a good one but one sms killed with the dealy in fixing lobby chat, pitstops and making us race using p2p connections,lol

roll on pcars 2 i guess.

BCFCBristolRed
30-10-2015, 13:10
Just thought I'd update a little since my OP....

I just went and bought the budget Thrustmaster 458 wheel. This is the first wheel I've used since I used to play GTR, rFactor etc with a Logitech G25 in my PC days. I have to say, for 69, I'm really impressed. Altough there is no FFB, the bungee system is actually really not bad. The pedals are ok too though, obviously nothing compared to G25 pedals.

Anyway, just thought I'd say that now I am finally playing pCars with a wheel, I'm loving it, EVEN more!!! :) :) :)

mattaebersold
30-10-2015, 17:46
This is a great thread. I've had similar thoughts about Forza vs. Project cars, and have even written up reviews on both on my personal website

http://worthycars.com/features/forza-6-review
http://worthycars.com/features/project-cars

In my opinion the both have their place. I would boil it down to time. If you're on the couch with a controller, and only have 20 minutes to play, it's Forza that wins, because of it's shorter races, more casual play style, etc. Sometimes I just want to chill out, race some cool cars, and have a good time.

If you're at a point where you want to race for an extended period of time, a good race weekend in project cars with a wheel is where you want to be. It takes effort to setup a wheel, do practice, qualifying, and racing. It's definitely a larger time commitment, but it's more fun than Forza to play at that level.

BCFCBristolRed
30-10-2015, 17:55
This is a great thread. I've had similar thoughts about Forza vs. Project cars, and have even written up reviews on both on my personal website

In my opinion the both have their place. I would boil it down to time. If you're on the couch with a controller, and only have 20 minutes to play, it's Forza that wins, because of it's shorter races, more casual play style, etc. Sometimes I just want to chill out, race some cool cars, and have a good time.

If you're at a point where you want to race for an extended period of time, a good race weekend in project cars with a wheel is where you want to be. It takes effort to setup a wheel, do practice, qualifying, and racing. It's definitely a larger time commitment, but it's more fun than Forza to play at that level.

You are absolutely spot on. Exactly how I feel about the two.

BulletEyeDK
30-10-2015, 18:58
After the recent patches we are really getting value for our money....

Currently im hosting a 13 player GT3 series, yesterday we completed race 2/8 in that series, a 18 lap race on Spa with 15 min qualification (12 players in that race)... all without any problems.
We were pretty anxious about running on Spa as we did try that track out back in June, but with no luck at all even on getting all on track...

Keep on the great work supporting the game SMS, this really is a gem of a game ;)

gtFOOTw
30-10-2015, 23:33
Excellent thread, OP somes up my feelings very well. I love building and tuning road cars into grippy racers in Forza. But the physics and driving experience in Pcars can't be beat.
Decisions, decisions...

Dresden
31-10-2015, 06:41
If you're on the couch with a controller, and only have 20 minutes to play, it's Forza that wins

I do agree with you but at the same time I do not agree (if that makes sense!).

I really love the set up of Pcars career because I can do a practice session and then save the progress, or qualifying, and then save the next part for later. The game can still feel like a bite sized meal if you want to. Obviously we need a custom championship as the single race meeting does not give us this option.

Forza certainly has the sit down and play a quick session feel, but there is little in the way of progress. Driver level and money mean little the higher you go so it all falls flat.

Reinart86
01-11-2015, 08:24
Yes for pure racing, this title has everything else on console beaten by a mile. If only the multiplayer wasn't such a lifeless desert, i would be playing this game non stop. But as it stands now i still need Forza to get my online fix. I tried some multiplayer last night on PC and it's still the same old 10 or so lobby's with 2 of them full gt3 lobby's and the rest is like 2 or 3 players per lobby. That get's boring pretty quick.

Dan77 DESTROYER
01-11-2015, 20:17
The ramming and bad driving is out in force tonight, just geared myself up for an evening of racing hopefully but within two lobby's of racing I'm done, can't be bothered to try anymore it's just a ramfest or guys just simply don't know where the brakes are,
I'm not Nigel mansel by any means but I can get round a race track cleanly and fairly, call of duty it is tonight so I don't loose my rag with this.

beetes_juice
03-11-2015, 20:25

I'm assuming you wrote the two articles. Exactly how I feel about the two. Loved these lines from your article on PC:

If you want to street-race in your Supra, go elsewhere. If you want to just look at your custom metallic-pearl paint job all day, go elsewhere. I like that the game has that attitude, because all it wants to do is get on the track and race.

and

You don't feel like there are assists trying to keep you on track. I would compare this experience to Dark Souls - initially the handling of the cars feels cold and downright sinister in some cases. But if you take the time to learn it, and respect the cars, then you are rewarded. It's a genuine feeling of accomplishment and skill when you really drive a difficult car well.

ApeXShaver
04-11-2015, 06:13
Hey everybody it's really cool to see a thread with positive comments, I'm so sick of the negativity. I understand this game has had a lot of problems but it's also a valiant effort and a great game, in my opinion the best racing game ever on a console and I would say ever but I've not done PC games yet. Forza is an okay game for what it is and I used to like it for what it is but I've always wanted something better and more realistic and Project CARS really fits that bill.

When you get in a car and get your force feedback setup properly the feeling of immersion and realism in Project CARS is unbeatable in my opinion. Forza may technically have better graphics as far as the numbers go like pixels or whatever, but the look of realism and the feeling that you're actually within the environment is nothing close to what Project CARS delivers. Plus you can do actual races with actual practice and actual qualifying, that alone is a big deal. One of my main frustrations with Forza was that if you were doing the career you started 14th out of 16 and had to do three laps on a track like Long Beach! How can you put together a race strategy and be a good clean racer when that's the goal? The only thing you can do is turn it into a wreck-fest and bang your way up into the front to get your top three. Well that's not the kind of racer I am, I like clean races that mimic real life races. When you have the ability to practice and qualify together with other people in the lobby that gives everybody an opportunity to learn the track and car combination so that whenever it's time to race everybody is prepared, which makes for a much better race. Of course as long as everybody has the same mindset of trying to do a good race. I understand there's always some that are going to mess up the race but at least it gives everybody a chance to have a good clean race.

Another area that is awesome and has been mentioned before is the changing weather and time effects which are amazing. We have had races together starting in the evening going in to night with changing weather and conditions such as stormy and we could hardly race because we were so blown away at how realistic the weather effects were along with the awesome lighting effects. Every lap the weather was changing and the sun was reflecting color off of the clouds and we were almost running off the track because we were so amazed at how realistic it was.

I could go on and on but I won't...just so you know I do run the Thrustmaster TX and I just got the new leather rim which is awesome. If you're not playing this game with a wheel make sure you don't discount it until you do, and take the time to find out from somebody how to properly set up the force feedback and it will definitely be an experience that is difficult to match.

Do I get frustrated at times with some of the bugs? Yes but the positives far outweigh the negatives, and as long as SMS continues to work on this game and improve it then I will continue to support thier work. Thanks SMS for allowing us wanna-be race car drivers to feel like real race car drivers!

BCFCBristolRed
27-11-2015, 18:31
Rather than starting a new thread, I figured I'd just post in one I made a while ago.....

MASSIVE, MASSIVE thank you for the classic Hockenheim track. I absolutely love the bloody place. So many memories of F1 races gone by..... Alongside Magny Cours, it is my favourite track from F1 of yesteryear. I have yet to try any of the new Lotus cars, or indeed the classic Silverstone track but will get round to them after I have finished ragging the Formula A and Aston GTE around Classic Hockenheim.

So genuinely, thank you so much for this track expansion. :) :) :)

WoodyLizard
27-11-2015, 20:53
How good is helmet view, enough said!

Haiden
28-11-2015, 01:51
How good is helmet view, enough said!

I love helmet view. It's my main view. I do wish it was tinted, though.