PDA

View Full Version : [Answered] Fuel question

JusUK
13-10-2015, 10:07
Ok so been playing Project Cars for a while now and I've just run out of fuel for the first time during a race.

GT4 in a BMW M3 round Donington GP circuit, 28 laps and the fuel ran out on lap 25. Cost me the championship by 1 point.

My question is, if I'm not allowed to refuel during the main race, how do I make my fuel last the race distance?

Thanks

Mr.Smoke
13-10-2015, 10:14
You need to adjust how much fuel is in the car prior to the race.

JusUK
13-10-2015, 10:19
OK i'll have a look, I'm still getting used to the game so haven't started exploring settings properly yet.

I assumed I couldn't do anything with fuel loads but obviously not.

Glad it's a simple fix :)

Cholton82
13-10-2015, 10:54
Best thing to do is when in practice or qually take note of the average fuel used per lap and then multiply that number by the number of laps in the race , then I add about 10% extra but sometimes I require a little fuel management .

Also hello from a fellow racer in Derby

JusUK
13-10-2015, 10:58
Thanks Cholton, I'll make sure I pay a bit more attention when practicing and qualifying now!

And hello from a sunny but cold Derby this morning :)

HiSpeeder
13-10-2015, 11:06
With one of the more recent patches they included an estimator indicating roughly how many laps you can do with the amount of fuel you put in. You see it right underneath where you select how much fuel to go in. Before you had to calculate that manually (not that tough though, just take note during practice how much fuel you're burning - annoying though if you want to do a quick race and don't know the fuel consumption). The estimator is usually a bit too conservative, i.e. I can usually go a bit longer than suggested. When you're driving and the red fuel indicator comes on fuel got critical: you have roughly 1 lap of fuel left.

In theory with heavier fuel loads you would consume more fuel per lap as the car is heavier, but I haven't really noticed this so far. I don't really drive the Formula cars, there the effect would probably be most notable as those cars are in itself very lightweight so the fuel weight has a big effect on total weight of the car. So, to be on the safe side it'd be smart to add a little extra fuel more than necessary.

For endurance races knowing fuel consumption gets quite important, as some cars consume more than others, and they do not always have equal fuel tank sizes. For example the various LMP1 cars, probably because they are from different years and therefore had different regulations (although I'm not sure they have a standard max fuel tank size in the LMP regulations).

Yorkie065
13-10-2015, 12:13
I tend to do 5 lap runs in a practice session before the race itself to work out fuel. Keep an eye on the motec display of your car if you have it and note down how much you are using per lap (roughly) and also the average. Then use the average figure (if it is close enough to your 'usage per lap' and you feel it is reliable) and times it by the number of laps you're doing in the race. I then usually add another 2-5 litres worth of fuel ontop depending on the tracks length as a safety for when battling hard and rev'ing higher etc, just to make sure I make it to the end. The more laps you do, the more accurate you can be with the fuel load. Like HiSpeeder said, although there is a fuel estimation in the cars setup, you need to turn quite a lot of consistent laps to bring it down to anywhere near close to what you're actually doing as it starts at a very conservative value. This might have changed in the recent patch, but I tend to find that doing 5 good laps as close to race pace as you can get shows how much fuel you'll be consuming on a lap by lap basis to do a quick calculation to give you the total number of litres of fuel you need.

JusUK
13-10-2015, 15:47
Thanks everyone
Jus