PDA

View Full Version : Pitstops still broken and ruining races

leebeedie
13-10-2015, 10:09
Can someone please explain how that after 5 months since the release date there are still issues with Pitstops? I appreciate the continued support of the game through patch releases and DLC releases but surely Dev time should be used fixing this issue. Case in point last night myself and a friend had a multilayer race and on every pit stop we did the pit menu didn't appear and tyres not changed bar our 4th/3rd stop....

I pitted 4 times and not once did the menu appear and tyres were randomly changed on the 4th pit stop

My friend pitted 3 times and not once did the menu appear and his tyres were randomly changed on the 3rd stop

Surely this should be fixed by now!! :mad:

Mr.Smoke
13-10-2015, 10:12
Other then the bug of having only soft tires equipped no matter what is selected, pit stops work flawlessly for me.

BulletEyeDK
13-10-2015, 10:15
Did you call the pitstop ?
I recall this problem when not informing the pitcrew you're coming in...

Since one of the last patches i've not encountered any problems with pitstops other than the soft tyre bug

falm
13-10-2015, 10:16
Other then the bug of having only soft tires equipped no matter what is selected, pit stops work flawlessly for me.

Same here. But a least a "default strategy" has to be available and selected, otherwise nothing get's changed.
Had this effect in my last race at Brno this weekend.

pippinfort
13-10-2015, 10:41
Racing Friend! (In a "Inbetweeners" way ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3igggNc8yU )

Okay, stupid question, how do you call a pitstop? No menu appeared when I (we) entered the pits.

What bugs me about it is that it was working the night before without issue, two races, 11 laps with multiple pit stops.

It doesn't bug me enough to stop racing, it's just really frustrating. If there's anything we can do to provide more details to help reproduce the issue, please let us know.

Raven403
13-10-2015, 10:51
Is the OP on PC and after 5.0?

Nelson Pacheco
13-10-2015, 10:59
i never pitstop
it take too much time
hahaha
dont understand what to choose or not choose
bah!

leebeedie
13-10-2015, 11:00
Hi, thanks for the responses, yes on PC and 5.0. I'm not sure how to call for a pit stop as I haven't needed to in the past as the pit stop config box normally appears by default when entering the pits. If calling for a pit stop resolves this issue I'll give it a go.

Raven403
13-10-2015, 11:24
Hi, thanks for the responses, yes on PC and 5.0. I'm not sure how to call for a pit stop as I haven't needed to in the past as the pit stop config box normally appears by default when entering the pits. If calling for a pit stop resolves this issue I'll give it a go.

You shouldn't have to request a pit stop in multiplayer. You should be able to pit and the window appears. I'll do some testing on PC later on, but yeah I don't see why you would have to request a stop for it to work. I've never had to do that. Unless "Force Default Setup" was on? Because I believe that will limit your options as far as pitting goes

Neil Bateman
13-10-2015, 11:50
Just map a button for Pit Request, if you pit without letting your pit crew know the pit stop takes longer as they dont have anything ready when you come in, obviously there is a bug somewhere but if you request a pit stop as far as i have experienced everything works ok as long as when the box pops up you do what you are supposed to do, save it and close the box.

I have never pitted in multiplayer using a pit window nor in single player TBO because you cant rely on the AI pitting as well which tends to ruin the race, as raven said needs some testing.

pippinfort
13-10-2015, 11:52
You shouldn't have to request a pit stop in multiplayer. You should be able to pit and the window appears. I'll do some testing on PC later on, but yeah I don't see why you would have to request a stop for it to work. I've never had to do that. Unless "Force Default Setup" was on? Because I believe that will limit your options as far as pitting goes

Y'know ... i'm pretty sure "Force Default Setup" was on for the Race that I created.

Does "Force default setup" prevent the "Pit window" from appearing?

Raven403
13-10-2015, 12:03
Y'know ... i'm pretty sure "Force Default Setup" was on for the Race that I created.

Someone who has more experience can elaborate, I haven't used it yet, BUT I believe it does limit your pit options, because everyone will get the same things in the pits no matter what, hence the forced default. Correct me if i'm wrong.

So that could've been the problem

Yorkie065
13-10-2015, 12:06
Someone who has more experience can elaborate, I haven't used it yet, BUT I believe it does limit your pit options, because everyone will get the same things in the pits no matter what, hence the forced default. Correct me if i'm wrong.

So that could've been the problem

It does make sense though as you'd think it would force the 'automatic by tyre' option?

How long were the races you were in? Did you actually see the tyre wear meters reset in the stops that you did and there were no apparent tyre changes?

leebeedie
13-10-2015, 12:08
Ok, I think we're getting somewhere. It seems that "default Setup" was on for the race but does anyone know the logic of when/why pitting with "default setup" the tyres were changed on the 3rd stop and 4th stop respectively but not on the ones before? I'm happy to use the pit request button as this would be a "real" simulation opposed to just flying into the pit lane. I suspect the bug lies with having "default setup" enabled and just pulling into the pits unless someone knows otherwise. I will test later this evening and let you know.....

Raven403
13-10-2015, 12:13
Ok, I think we're getting somewhere. It seems that "default Setup" was on for the race but does anyone know the logic of when/why pitting with "default setup" the tyres were changed on the 3rd stop and 4th stop respectively but not on the ones before? I'm happy to use the pit request button as this would be a "real" simulation opposed to just flying into the pit lane. I suspect the bug lies with having "default setup" enabled and just pulling into the pits unless someone knows otherwise. I will test later this evening and let you know.....

How much were they worn on the Stop it didnt change them? It sounds like a bug to me. But the only thing I can guess is the Game didnt read the tires as worn enough to change? Not Sure, its something that should get looked at. But Yeah it does in fact seem like "Force Default Setup" is going to limit your Pit Stop options to keep everyone on the same setup. My other question, What kind of cars were you running? Mixed field or all the same?

pippinfort
13-10-2015, 12:14
It does make sense though as you'd think it would force the 'automatic by tyre' option?

How long were the races you were in? Did you actually see the tyre wear meters reset in the stops that you did and there were no apparent tyre changes?

Usually 11 laps with tyre wear on x3.

This is to force at least one pit stop for the race and introduce a bit of "when to change" strategy.

I think for the first stop (around lap 5?) the wear meter was on or around 30% remaining on Front left. Others tyres were 70% remaining.

I realise "the pit crew won't know what to do if you don't tell them you're coming in".

I think a neat solution would be that if "Force Default Setup" is "On" - then the "Pit Window" should appear, with the appropriate items disabled. This would enable the user to at least force a tyre change.

Yorkie065
13-10-2015, 12:16
My suspicions are with the default setup. A couple of people I know tested the stops after the 5.0 patch and did about at least 50-60 pitstops between them with no issues. Changed tyres on every single stop to the tyre that they requested.

pippinfort
13-10-2015, 12:19
How much were they worn on the Stop it didnt change them? It sounds like a bug to me. But the only thing I can guess is the Game didnt read the tires as worn enough to change? Not Sure, its something that should get looked at. But Yeah it does in fact seem like "Force Default Setup" is going to limit your Pit Stop options to keep everyone on the same setup. My other question, What kind of cars were you running? Mixed field or all the same?

For this race, it was "Mixed field" - any car.

Two human racers, 16+ AI.

Raven403
13-10-2015, 12:26
For this race, it was "Mixed field" - any car.

Two human racers, 16+ AI.

Ok so my guess is, to keep the field even with Mixed cars, the Game automatically penalized players to even the field. Thats ofcourse assuming it was intentional and not a bug, but it sounds like its just a matter of tweaking the Force Default setup. I think your earlier suggestion should be given some attention. Force Default should still bring up a pit window, but with some unchangeable items blacked out, and I dont see why you wouldnt be able to get Tires when you want to.

What class of cars btw?

pippinfort
13-10-2015, 12:40
Ok so my guess is, to keep the field even with Mixed cars, the Game automatically penalized players to even the field. Thats ofcourse assuming it was intentional and not a bug, but it sounds like its just a matter of tweaking the Force Default setup. I think your earlier suggestion should be given some attention. Force Default should still bring up a pit window, but with some unchangeable items blacked out, and I dont see why you wouldnt be able to get Tires when you want to.

What class of cars btw?

I was in the new Aston, Lee was in the McLaren 12C GT3.

Mixed field was a mistake by the way, it was meant to be the same class! Can't blame anyone else for that - user error (Peroni overload).

AndrexUK
13-10-2015, 12:55
I can Confirm Yorkie's post about pit testing.
Myself and 2 others ran a MP session purely for testing pit bugs.
all 3 of us performed a minimum of 20 stops (1 each lap) and the tyre choices were perfect (whatever I requested, ie wet / inter / hard / med / soft) were put on during the stop).
Fueling was also perfect. > it did not randomly re-fuel when not asked to do so, and did refuel when selected.
A pit stop did not need to be requested prior to entering the pits (It seems to serve no function to request a pit - I would love for the ability to adjust the pit strategy before entering the pit lane! Please SMS? :) ).

My slight concern, is the number of 'technical issues' experienced during this test session.
Ranging from 'We've lost a wheel nut', to 'we have an electrical problem (or similar).
20 pits stops each, and I had 3 'faults', and the other 2 had 4 faults each. > That's pretty much 1 in 5.
These faults introduced a delay ranging from 3 seconds, to over 20 seconds during a fault.

These 'faults' are not new to Patch 5.0 in any way, but the regularity certainly seems to be considerably higher than before (we had not tested previously).
I'm all for these faults to be in the game (even though they can influence a race outside of your control - very frustrating) The extra realism is not a bad thing. But 1 in 5??? No thanks.
1 in 15/20, sure.
It should be a case where the fault is an "Aaaaah, remember the race last season where my pit crew had to change my battery?" event, not a "Yup, my crew dropped a wheel nut again...!".

On a similar note to requesting the feature of pit strategy control during normal driving. I would like the option to be able to chose each of the 4 tyre compound before joining the track (as you can during pit strategy). But we are limited to Front / rear selection, rather than FL/FR/RL/RR :(

pippinfort
13-10-2015, 13:00
all 3 of us performed a minimum of 20 stops (1 each lap) and the tyre choices were perfect (whatever I requested, ie wet / inter / hard / med / soft) were put on during the stop).
Fueling was also perfect. > it did not randomly re-fuel when not asked to do so, and did refuel when selected.
My slight concern, is the number of 'technical issues' experienced during this test session.
Ranging from 'We've lost a wheel nut', to 'we have an electrical problem (or similar).
20 pits stops each, and I had 3 'faults', and the other 2 had 4 faults each. > That's pretty much 1 in 5.
These faults introduced a delay ranging from 3 seconds, to over 20 seconds during a fault.

These 'faults' are not new to Patch 5.0 in any way, but the regularity certainly seems to be considerably higher than before (we had not tested previously).
I'm all for these faults to be in the game (even though they can influence a race outside of your control - very frustrating) The extra realism is not a bad thing. But 1 in 5??? No thanks.
1 in 15/20, sure.
It should be a case where the fault is an "Aaaaah, remember the race last season where my pit crew had to change my battery?" event, not a "Yup, my crew dropped a wheel nut again...!".

Thanks for these details, it's really impressive how much effort people in this community put in.

Did you do any testing with "Force Default" on/off?

Sounds like another "neat" feature to add to race setup ... "Pit crew random errors" on / off / %age ...

Raven403
13-10-2015, 13:02

1 in 15/20, sure.

Ill see your 1 in 5 and raise you 1 in 3. It happens so often, that if I pit in a league race (we usually run tire wear at 2x or 3x to force multiple stops) and i get no failures, i basically expect it to happen on the Next stop, and it usually does. They dont seem Random at all, and its getting a bit tiresome to be honest. I get either a 'Lost wheel nut' or 'Engine Battery failure' or 'Gearbox is Kaput' or 2 out of 3 at the same time. This past week I pit 3 times, first two stops were problem free, but the last stop (supposed to be my fast tires only stop) i had a "gearbox is kaput' and lost my delta and came out in 3rd. Frustrating yes, and I get these things happen in real life, but it just happens too often IMO. it happens to 90% of the field as well. Sure maybe one car in 10 has bad pitlane luck, but all 10? I dont think so.

Its off topic from Op but if someone could shed light on whether gearbox damage or engine damage plays a role in these failures??

AndrexUK
13-10-2015, 13:12
Our testing was done with mechanical failures = off. (I would like to have thought this should switch off pit faults too...nope)
But setup was open.

I always felt it was a rather high rate if pit faults, but as I said, I had never really tested it. And we were not testing FOR it on this occasion either. but we certainly had 11 pits stops with faults (I think at least 1 stop had a double fault). But we were in the realm of 11 out of 60 had a fault.

I always ran a harder compound tyre to avoid going anywhere near the pits during our league racing. But with a potential for using x2 (or more?) tyre wear next season, even this may not be possible.

Raven403
13-10-2015, 13:21
Think it's just a matter of dialing them down further. I know they were addressed on an earlier patch, maybe 2.0.

pippinfort
13-10-2015, 14:42
Bringing it back on track ... can someone at SMS / WMD clarify:

1. Under what circumstances does the "Pit Window" dialogue box appear

e.g. When "Force Default" is set to "Off"

2. When the "Pit Window" dialogue box does not appear, what conditions will force a tyre change?

e.g. When "Tyre degradation reaches < 30%"

3. What governs the "Pit Crew" mistakes?

Many thanks ...

Umer Ahmad
13-10-2015, 16:30
Ill see your 1 in 5 and raise you 1 in 3. It happens so often, that if I pit in a league race (we usually run tire wear at 2x or 3x to force multiple stops) and i get no failures, i basically expect it to happen on the Next stop, and it usually does. They dont seem Random at all, and its getting a bit tiresome to be honest. I get either a 'Lost wheel nut' or 'Engine Battery failure' or 'Gearbox is Kaput' or 2 out of 3 at the same time. This past week I pit 3 times, first two stops were problem free, but the last stop (supposed to be my fast tires only stop) i had a "gearbox is kaput' and lost my delta and came out in 3rd. Frustrating yes, and I get these things happen in real life, but it just happens too often IMO. it happens to 90% of the field as well. Sure maybe one car in 10 has bad pitlane luck, but all 10? I dont think so.

Its off topic from Op but if someone could shed light on whether gearbox damage or engine damage plays a role in these failures??

I've carried back this request (to reduce the random errors rate) to the team

Raven403
13-10-2015, 16:33

Cool thanks Umer. Much appreciated

Bealdor
13-10-2015, 16:43
Either you guys are totally unlucky or I must be extremely lucky because I never got a single pit crew error in my 50hrs career racing. Or it's an online only issue...

On the other hand, seeing both extremes is actually proof that the system really is random. ;)

Raven403
13-10-2015, 16:44
Either you guys are totally unlucky or I must be extremely lucky because I never got a single pit crew error in my 50hrs career racing. Or it's an online only issue...

On the other hand, seeing both extremes is actually proof that the system really is random. ;)

Could be it was reduced for Career and not MP. I'll have to look back at patch notes.

Schnizz58
13-10-2015, 16:48

In my regular playing in career mode, I rarely run into pitstop problems. In fact, I can't remember the last time it happened. However I was doing some testing of pitstops similar to what Andrex was describing above (in QRW) and had a pitstop issue about half the time. The issues ranged from gearbox problems, to lost wheel nuts, to a burnt clutch to electrical problems. So I wonder if pitting on every lap like we were doing could be a contributing factor? Or perhaps there's a difference between career and QRW?

Raven403
13-10-2015, 16:57
Well now I can't seem to find it anywhere in the Patch Notes but I could swear it was in one of the patches that they reduced the frequency of this happening with "Lost wheel nut" failures. But I think it was either just for career, or something about it gets jumbled in MP, or as Bealdor said its truly random, but if its truly truly random the frequency needs to be dialed back a bit. In my opinion ofcourse.

N0body Of The Goat
13-10-2015, 17:03

You do not get any pitstop options when you use the "forced default setup" option online.

If the session/race changes between dry and wet weather, if you pit, the crew will change to the suitable compound (eg. you are on slicks, it then rains, they will fit rain tyres). However, I've had instances where it has just started raining as I approach the pitlane, I pit, but the crew do not give me rain tyres. I then pitted a lap later (so it has been raining for ~2mins) and then they will give me rain tyres.

Major tyre wear does not seem to prompt my crew to give me fresh tyres, at least when x4 tyre wear is active online. In a dry race at Spa in the Formula A, I pitted on lap 6 with >80% wear, but no new tyres were given.

Asturbo
13-10-2015, 17:19
On an Online race yesterday (Imola, Formula C, PC, patch 5), we found several problems with the forced setups option. With this option enabled, the pit window doesn’t appear during the pit so you don’t have any control of the tires or the fuel load.

But some players started the race with 10 liters and others with 40 liters of fuel. We found that you have to delete any previous saved setup to start with the same fuel load.

When the rain begins, some players in the pit changed to wet tires but others change to slicks again (no window to change the tyres). 3 times in a row tried to stop on rain conditions but, the mechanics allways mounted dry tires. Thas probably caused by a previous saved strategy was slick instead of auto.

I think that if there is any saved setups, the fixed setup option doesn’t work properly.

Nevertheless I think that “forced default setups”, doesn’t mean “forced same strategy” , so the pit windows must be available. It’s not a car setup.

Amik
14-10-2015, 01:33
Never seen this. Of all the games i have played, i can only think of 1 instance where i got kinda stuck in the pit. I still think the pitstop and every other aspect of the game Works really well. Remember that this is a highly complex game, which inevetably comes With a few smaller bugs. I'm sure the developers are doing as much as they can within reasonable limits to make improvements to the game.

pippinfort
14-10-2015, 07:48

Many thanks Umer.

If you're speaking with team, would you also be kind enough to get their input on the questions raised in #26?

Bringing it back on track ... can someone at SMS / WMD clarify:

1. Under what circumstances does the "Pit Window" dialogue box appear

e.g. When "Force Default" is set to "Off"

2. When the "Pit Window" dialogue box does not appear, what conditions will force a tyre change?

e.g. When "Tyre degradation reaches < 30%"

3. What governs the "Pit Crew" mistakes?

Kind regards ...