PDA

View Full Version : Why force manual gears

drb1965
14-10-2015, 08:02
I know I will be slated by manual gear users, but why do people in multiplayer have manual gears as required.

I can use manual gears but I find it more enjoyable playing with autogears especially in close racing. It is very frustrating to go into a lobby only to find that manual gears have been set.

Franco Ferrari
14-10-2015, 09:42
"Why they do this" you ask?
Maybe for... you know... realism... and also for fair play?
Just saying... :)

Seriously... it's their lobbies, they'll do what they want with them.
Why complain?
Find a lobby with automatic gears and live happily ever after. :)

nono782
14-10-2015, 10:24
And we meet the same problem again :
It's a hassle to find a lobby with the settings you want because you have to enter each of them.
The filters are too poor and we lack infos on the lobbies page.
Are we gonna have a new MP GUI ?

Pirategenius
14-10-2015, 10:26
How would you like it if SMS made this a full sim? No auto box or any assists. Helmet cam only no braking line etc. People want realisim in MP. It's not to hard to find a lobby with what you want. So stop whinging and play with what ever settings are in the lobby.

nono782
14-10-2015, 11:08
How would you like it if SMS made this a full sim? No auto box or any assists. Helmet cam only no braking line etc. People want realisim in MP. It's not to hard to find a lobby with what you want. So stop whinging and play with what ever settings are in the lobby.

I can't agree with this.
People don't always want realism in MP, just take a look at the settings and you will find everything.
A host can set a lot of parameters, and they can't suit all users.
So it would be normal for the users to be able to filter whatever they like.

erickgoldner
14-10-2015, 12:30
Usually, if your taste doesnt fit the Lobbys you find on the
MP Lobbys, you should Just create your own then.

It is one of the few things that differs pcars from other games.

nono782
14-10-2015, 13:05
True, but imagine :
Let's guess 5 players have the same wishes in matter of settings.
They look for lobbies to join and can't find one easily.
After a while they think "it's boring to search" and I will create my own lobby.
What we have : 5 new lobbies with few players (or 0), while these people could have joined together in one lobby if we had good filters.

crowtrobot
14-10-2015, 13:06
Find a lobby with automatic gears and live happily ever after. :)
That'd be a fair point if the UI or Filters made this an easy endeavor.

As it stands, you can only filter by certain options, and waiting for the Lobby parameters to load (if they even load at all), waiting for the JIP button to activate (if it activates at all), or backing out of the lobby (only to be booted back to the Main Menu) is a time consuming process. Those options should be visible from the server browser, as well as whether the race is in Practice or Qualy with the time remaining. ATM, finding a server is a very clunky and barebones user experience.

satco1066
15-10-2015, 14:33
That'd be a fair point if the UI or Filters made this an easy endeavor.

As it stands, you can only filter by certain options, and waiting for the Lobby parameters to load (if they even load at all), waiting for the JIP button to activate (if it activates at all), or backing out of the lobby (only to be booted back to the Main Menu) is a time consuming process. Those options should be visible from the server browser, as well as whether the race is in Practice or Qualy with the time remaining. ATM, finding a server is a very clunky and barebones user experience.

You are right, but you're WMD member.
Why didn't you (plural) push that one year ago?
When PCars came out, MP features were so tiny, for me lower than beta.

Stephan Wondrak did a very good Job in the last 5 months.

But in this case, WMD didn't last year.

Just my personal opinion.

Mahjik
15-10-2015, 14:51
But in this case, WMD didn't last year.

I wouldn't say that is accurate. ;)

Nelson Pacheco
15-10-2015, 14:56
create your own lobby
and announce it over here mate ;)

My fav lobbys are with Aids or ON and Gear automatic (note: i can use gamepad with manual gears, but... well, like you said in close race it could lead to some fail)

nono782
15-10-2015, 14:59
We did satco1066 but I'd say the MP part was clearly not a priority for SMS.
You are right when you say it has been nicely worked on in the last months.
But there are still a few things to do :)

copes24
15-10-2015, 15:10
That's a bit like asking 'why force manual steering?'. It requires skill and concentration to shift at the right time for the duration of a race. I agree there should be more lobby filtering options though.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
15-10-2015, 15:53
That's a bit like asking 'why force manual steering?'. It requires skill and concentration to shift at the right time for the duration of a race.
Does it though? After you get used to manual it's pretty automatic, no pun intended. :) I could see it as a "gating" device, just preventing people who haven't learned how to shift from joining, e.g. people who have never driven IRL and just bought their first racing game. And I don't have a problem with that, seems like a fine idea. But I think automatic shifting makes most people slower except in rare situations where you need to be pressing other buttons while you're shifting. (Like KERS/DRS when on a gamepad.)

apexatspeed
16-10-2015, 02:43
They do it to weed out the scrubs, rammers, and trolls. That is my guess.

Sasquatch
16-10-2015, 03:00
They do it to weed out the scrubs, rammers, and trolls. That is my guess.

That's pretty much it.

drb1965
16-10-2015, 09:14
The reason for the thread was merely to vent my frustration. As a disabled driver I have never used manual gears, but I am able to keep up with most people even with automatic gears, by forcing manual gears is this not discriminating against the disabled driver ?

nono782
16-10-2015, 09:38
The devs have allowed these options, you can't blame the hosts for using them.
But if you could filter this setting and see the lobbies where you can use automatic gears, it wouldn't be a problem any longer.

Tomcul
16-10-2015, 09:47
The reason for the thread was merely to vent my frustration. As a disabled driver I have never used manual gears, but I am able to keep up with most people even with automatic gears, by forcing manual gears is this not discriminating against the disabled driver ?

So by that judgement forcing auto is discriminating against manual users.
Also using manual gears only require you to pull a paddle or press a button on the pad.

drb1965
16-10-2015, 10:34
So by that judgement forcing auto is discriminating against manual users.
Also using manual gears only require you to pull a paddle or press a button on the pad.

Forcing auto is not an option therefore your argument if not valid. By not forcing manual gears does not stop someone from using manual gears if they wish, but it also gives the option of auto geared players to compete as well.

Pulling a paddle or pressing a button on a pad may seem simple to you, but to a disabled person even this can be difficult.

Tomcul
16-10-2015, 11:07
But you must be able to use a controller if you're already playing the game..

drb1965
16-10-2015, 11:51
But you must be able to use a controller if you're already playing the game..

Playing on Pc with a G25

Tomcul
16-10-2015, 12:19
And you can't use the paddles?
What's your handicap?

drb1965
16-10-2015, 12:26
And you can't use the paddles?
What's your handicap?

Lost fingers on both hands, I am not saying I can't use manual gears, but it is better for me with auto due to my handicap, as long as the race is short I have no problem with manual gears, but anything longer than 4 or 5 laps is difficult. (but I am getting better).

Tomcul
16-10-2015, 12:34
Fair enough you should have said that in your first post tho..
I still don't agree with the discrimination statement people are free to choose how they like it.
I personally would force cockpit view manual gears and clutch and no assists or people playing with control pads so am I discriminating against everyone who can't play like that, or am I playing my game the way I want to.

AB_Attack
16-10-2015, 12:51
Fair enough you should have said that in your first post tho..
Not really, the questioning of this existing option stands solid on its own. It wouldn't affect gameplay either way for anybody to simply let people use manual or auto as they please. The "force manual" option is not needed.

Tomcul
16-10-2015, 13:07
In your opinion it's not needed.. That may not be the opinion of all..

Bealdor
16-10-2015, 13:09
Unfortunately that's a case of "you can't satisfy everyone". If SMS removes the option a lot of players will protest that they want it back. It's a lose-lose situation IMO.

apexatspeed
16-10-2015, 19:23
You originated your point asking why people force manual gears. The obvious answer is to keep scrubs and trolls out of their lobbies. Now you are changing your stance to you don't think it should be an option to force manual gears? In your first post you say you can drive the car in manual. I also am struggling to figure out how you can grip/drive with a steering wheel, but can't shift gears.

satco1066
16-10-2015, 21:48
it's great that, though you're disabled, you like to drive and get in competition.
But it's not fair to blame people that are not disabled for their kind of driving their game.
Most cars today all over in Europe, especially Sports cars, do have manual gear.
To drive with manual gear is like to have a little bit more realism.

To keep out automatic gear drivers is in that case also to keep out people with lower level.
I'm not disabled, but i will never become the chance to drive a Formula any car in real life.
And i would never take a thought to take Bernie Ecclestone to court as he will not give me a license. That's life.
My current times in PCars are currently 7 to 20 secs behind the best, i that case i seem to be disabled too. Why. I'm 50+ and will never be as fast as young, responsive people

So be fair. You lost your fingers.
But would you agree, to cancle the sound settings for a man that cannot hear. We, the not disabled hear the sound of engines and have a real big advantage.
Or would you agree, that a man that cannot speak, forces Microsoft or Apple to cancle Cortana or Siri project. I don't think so.

In my opinion you should not whine about your problem, you better should find somebody in this great community who helps you over it.
Maybe some guy, that could mod your wheel, to help you, to do also manual gearing.
Or somebody, that could write a software to gear up and down by speech recognition.
So please don*t try to take others to your level, rise and try to get competitive the best way you're able.

Stocky
20-10-2015, 14:00
I agree that they shouldn't remove the force manual gears option, but I also don't get why people force it either.

Everyone says it's for realism, but they can have all the realism they want, without forcing everyone else to do the same.

It won't add one bit more realism for you, whether you set this on or off.

Don't think for one second, by removing people who don't drive with helmet cam or manual gears, you are removing people who are lower level.

I know many automatic drivers, some of which are the best drivers in the game, and hold Time Trial records.

I'll get 10 drivers for FA, have them all go automatic, you can pick the track, and let's see what position you come in compared to the automatic drivers.

Using the excuse that it keeps the lower level drivers and riff raff out, is completely absurd.

nono782
20-10-2015, 15:23
I think people force it because it is enabled by default when you create a race.
And when people host, they don't check everything.

DEDDGUY3
20-10-2015, 15:43
i use auto, because i cant multi task, usually slower than manual unless ratios are properly selected. force manual could help keep noobz out. just like force auto will keep the aliens away.

Tomcul
20-10-2015, 15:57
Not really about noobs for me just like to have a leval playing field.
Race cars in general are manual so if someone is into racing and cars I can't see why they wouldn't learn how to use manual.
Obviously you'll be slower at first but keep practicing it's well worth it.
I've just got a th8a shifter so I'm just starting to learn how to use that properly with the clutch, my lap times are way off what they are when using paddles and auto clutch. Lots of heal toe action!

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
21-10-2015, 00:55
Lost fingers on both hands, I am not saying I can't use manual gears, but it is better for me with auto due to my handicap, as long as the race is short I have no problem with manual gears, but anything longer than 4 or 5 laps is difficult. (but I am getting better).
Looking at the specs of the G25, you can apparently set the H-shifter to sequential. Might try that.

Stocky
21-10-2015, 00:59
Looking at the specs of the G25, you can apparently set the H-shifter to sequential. Might try that.

That would work if he could drive ok with 1 hand.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
21-10-2015, 01:04
That would work if he could drive ok with 1 hand.
If he said he couldn't, I missed it. I read missing fingers both hands, and paddles/buttons difficult.

Stocky
21-10-2015, 01:42
I was agreeing with you. It's a great idea. If he doesn't mind driving with 1 hand.

Push forward pull back for sequential. He could even set some of the other gears on the H shifter as other options, like DRS or reset, etc.

havocc
22-10-2015, 17:09
How many of you guys can't use/never used clutch+stick irl?

Xionax
23-10-2015, 19:32
I've been using manual gears for some time on purpose. Not for the purpose of realisme but to discourage people that are joining a session to ram other players and create a derby. Shifting gear with a XBOX controller is pretty difficult and not that fun when your goal is to wreck others.

This results in two things; less griefers and more pro/clean racers because most of them use a steering wheel.