PDA

View Full Version : Thrustmaster TX or Logitech G920 - which should I buy?

PFalcon
14-10-2015, 18:51
I know there are other threads on this topic, but I see very few posts from individuals that have used both wheels and can compare the pros and the cons of each. To generalize what I think I know from reading posts, the popular opinion seems to be the TX has the better FF, while the G920 has the slightly better pedals and wheel. Also, the TX wheel base seems to have a higher rate of failure, though the newer builds may be better than older wheel bases. I am aware that add-on wheels and upgraded pedals can be purchased for the TX, but realistically, finances would prevent me from upgrading those things for at least a year - and perhaps ever. So my question is which wheel/pedal set (without upgrades) do you prefer? If you prefer one strongly over the other, please explain why. For the purpose of this thread, let's assume price is identical for each.

Ixoye56
14-10-2015, 19:20
I would choose a TX because it has more options, like auto clutch and different sensitivity settings (great options in eg, Forza), and it is upgradable with various wheels and pedals. I have a TX myself and am very pleased with it.

cvcpower
14-10-2015, 19:46
G920

Danny Wilde
14-10-2015, 20:00
The Ultimate force feedback "Wheel Buyers Guide" for Game Consoles (PS4, XBox One, PS3, XBox 360) (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/the-ultimate-force-feedback-wheel-buyers-guide-for-game-consoles-ps4-xbox-one-ps3-xbox-360.318002/)
Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel Thread (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/thrustmaster-tx-racing-wheel-thread.322024/)
Logitech G29 / G920 Driving Force Racing Wheel (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/logitech-g29-g920-driving-force-racing-wheel.329084/):rolleyes:

OpticalHercules
15-10-2015, 00:35
I don't own either, but I do plan on buying a FFB wheel some time this spring. I will be buying the G920. I had my eyes set on the TX, but after hearing too many horror stories about retail TX bases failing in <3 months, replacement bases failing within hours, and the poor customer service that I have experienced personally with Thrustmaster, I am more than willing to pay the additional $100 for the Logitech. I am not familiar with Logitech wheels, but I have dealt with Logitech customer service and replacements on several occasions in the past, and that alone is enough to sway my vote.

Talk to Dynomight Motorsports about his experience with Thrustmaster support and replacement parts.

2pfspiff
15-10-2015, 02:24
The TX leather edition comes with the T3PA pedals with brake mod and the leather wrapped rim. (http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/tx-racing-wheel-leather-edition) The TX is also smother feeling then the G920 due to the brushless belt drive compared to the Helical gear set up on the G920. I have had mine for about 3 months now and have not had an issue. i do run with Jack Spades FFB set up and reduced FFB main setting to 65%.

FAHound
15-10-2015, 08:52
G920 has everything you need.

AbioticPuddle43
15-10-2015, 12:01
Get the g920,especially if you can't afford to upgrade the tx.the g920 doesn't need add ons it great as it is

PFalcon
15-10-2015, 13:18
I think I am leaning toward the G920. I have heard comments from TX owners that the force feedback is better on the TX than the G920, but I suspect few of those people have actually used the G920, so those comments have to be taken with a grain of salt. Also, I have yet to hear any really negative comments/reviews from G920 owners. Meanwhile, it seems a good % of TX owners have had to replace their wheel bases due to failure. So from a peace-of-mind standpoint, I do think I will feel more comfortable with the Logitech.

Then again, it might be worth ordering the TX just to see my girlfriend have to answer the door for the delivery of a box with the words "THRUSTMASTER" prominently displayed - hopefully with neighbors watching... LOL

OpticalHercules
15-10-2015, 14:36
I think I am leaning toward the G920. I have heard comments from TX owners that the force feedback is better on the TX than the G920, but I suspect few of those people have actually used the G920, so those comments have to be taken with a grain of salt. Also, I have yet to hear any really negative comments/reviews from G920 owners. Meanwhile, it seems a good % of TX owners have had to replace their wheel bases due to failure. So from a peace-of-mind standpoint, I do think I will feel more comfortable with the Logitech.

Then again, it might be worth ordering the TX just to see my girlfriend have to answer the door for the delivery of a box with the words "THRUSTMASTER" prominently displayed - hopefully with neighbors watching... LOL

The real thing holding me back on buying one now is lack of funds, I've already more than hit my spending limit for the year in the wife's eyes. Besides that, the G920 has really only been publicly released for maybe 2 weeks now? Not a lot of time to see if there are significant defects or wear problems. While I would buy a wheel now if I was allowed to, I am sort of glad that I can't buy one for a few more months to see some real reviews over time on the G920. It may be that the TX, with as many problems as people report, is better in the long term, but we won't know that for another 3-6 months.

Raven403
15-10-2015, 14:51
Far as Quality for Money I still say the TX is the one to get, and you can further upgrade it later if you felt so inclined, and its compatible with PC and Xbox. Ive heard some horror stories, but mine has been perfect.

rtazz17
15-10-2015, 15:00
[QUOTE=PFalcon;1148720]I think I am leaning toward the G920. I have heard comments from TX owners that the force feedback is better on the TX than the G920, but I suspect few of those people have actually used the G920, so those comments have to be taken with a grain of salt. Also, I have yet to hear any really negative comments/reviews from G920 owners. Meanwhile, it seems a good % of TX owners have had to replace their wheel bases due to failure. So from a peace-of-mind standpoint, I do think I will feel more comfortable with the Logitech.

Well if you got some hard facts on a " good %"of tx owners needing replacements lets see them...
If you are going off of forum posts then dont take that as a majority.. People come to forums to complain..

AbioticPuddle43
15-10-2015, 15:41
In standard form a tx is not more of a quality wheel,tx very plasticy not like the G920

OpticalHercules
15-10-2015, 16:21
Well if you got some hard facts on a " good %"of tx owners needing replacements lets see them...
If you are going off of forum posts then dont take that as a majority.. People come to forums to complain..

I don't know about a good percentage of overall ownership, and I fully agree that you'll see more complaints than praise on any forum simply because people who don't have anything bad to say about a product generally wont take the time to say anything about it at all, whereas those who do have complaints to make will often go out of their way to make those complaints heard. That greatly skews the user feedback of an item to the negative for nearly every product made.

In terms of people I am familiar with in-game (not forums posters, but friend list players), who I know have TX wheels, I would say about 25% of the players on my friend list who own a TX that I chat with have had problems with their wheel. 25% is not an insignificant number, and I realize my sample pool is only around 15-20 owners, but 4-5/15-20 is significant enough for me to be wary.

I know that when the wheel first released there were all kinds of problem with it. That was what, 18-24 months ago? I also know that Thrustmaster did fix a lot of those problems that people complained about after their initial production run or firmware. I would think most TX wheels sold today would be fairly reliable, except for reports of replacement parts lasting <12 hours of play (as few as 1-2 hours) and then having to wait another 2-3 weeks for replacement of the replacement which had already taken 2-3 weeks to receive. This is why I am happy (in a way) to not be allowed to purchase a wheel right now. In 6 months we will see how good Logitech's G920 reliability is, and whether any currently unknown issues pop up, and I will be able to make an even more informed decision on my purchase.

Far as Quality for Money I still say the TX is the one to get, and you can further upgrade it later if you felt so inclined, and its compatible with PC and Xbox. Ive heard some horror stories, but mine has been perfect.

Both the G920 and the TX work with XbOne and PC. The G920 comes with 3pedals and leather for $100 over base price, while the TX requires additional purchases of the leather GT wheel and T3PA pedals totaling around $200 to match the G920 in terms of features, making the TX actually about $100 more expensive. I do wish the wheels on the 920 were interchangeable, as the Formula wheel is something I would definitely purchase if I do end up buying the TX wheel. Also for me, I don't see myself making use of the clutch at all, so it's not really a purchasing consideration for me if I were to buy the TX, so really the TX with comparable leather wheel would be about $20 cheaper than the G920 (I think the GT wheel is $80? IDR)

My mind is not made up. I may end up buying a TX wheel when the time comes to make the purchase. When that time does come I will hopefully have a good pool of recent TX reviews to compare with G920 after x-period of time post-release. I know the TX quality problems tend to come in waves, meaning one production run may have problems while another may not. We'll see when my purchase time comes if the production run at that time is "good" or not.

OnlookerDelay
15-10-2015, 16:21
I just got the Logitech G920 last week, after ordering it directly from Logitech. It really didn't hit mass market retailers in the USA until yesterday. I bought it primarily because of Forza 5 and 6, but I also love iRacing and Project CARS on the PC. Right now the G920 feels like a work in progress. It's serviceable in all three games, but even with Jack Spade's latest FFB file, there's clearly some special attention needed for the G920. I was racing Project CARS with my Fanatec GT2 on the PC, and it worked great with Jack's FFB file. I know what the game is "supposed" to feel like thanks to that experience and the G920 doesn't model all the FFB forces the way the Fanatec GT2 does.

I got Jack's 2.3 files finally installed last night and I'm starting to see a glimmer of hope for the G920 and Project CARS. I actually had a decent race against the AI, but only after I'd bumped the Steering Gain back up to "3", from Jack's recommended "1". It still feels like mostly centering forces at work here, so I know there's lots of work to be done. I think it's doable though...

Meanwhile, the G920 suffers the same predominantly centering force property in Forza 6, as it does on Project CARS. I still find it preferable to a hand held controller, by a long shot, but certainly not what I would expect from a next-gen console and a racing game that prides itself on handling realism. The G920 feels like it's quality made though and I have no concerns about its reliability. The helical gear operation is quiet... as in you can't hear it period, but there is a "gritty" quality in its rotation that I find tolerable. It may bother some. My 98 Mazda Protege that I drive in real life has the same "gritty" feel in its operation, so I guess I'm used to it.

I opted for the G920 over the Tx for reliability reasons. I have two friends who own them and they've each had problems with them. One of them is on his third wheel now. They feel great when they're operating properly, even though I don't like all the plastic. The stock wheel with the Thrustmaster for the XB1 really looks and feels cheap. I'd have wound up spending more on the Thrustmaster if I'd gone that direction because I'd have had to buy the GT wheel to use with it. That belt driven force feedback is sweet though, not to mention stronger. I think Thrustmaster has improved their design since both of my friends bought their's as the complaint reports about it seem to be tailing off a bit in the last six months.

OpticalHercules
15-10-2015, 16:31
I wish I could vote your post up many times. Informative and unbiased comparison.

Let us know how the wheel holds up over time. Also with that "Grittiness" is it possible at all to open the body without voiding warranty, maybe applying a little grease to the gears or cleaning it if there is some sort of debris in there?

Haiden
16-10-2015, 14:28

Actually, there are quite a few reviewers (people who have used many different wheels) coming to the same conclusion (that the TX is stronger and smoother). It's also a result of their internal mechanics. The TX is belt driven, in this class of wheel, that's always going to be smoother and stronger than the helical gears. I've also heard the strange knocking noise that the G29 makes when running on curbs and bumps. Since the 29 and 920 are just different console versions of the same wheel, I'd check to see if the 920 makes the same noise, because if it does, I wouldn't touch that wheel, because that knocking is seriously annoying.

Also, the TX has been out way longer than the G920, so that's more time for horror stories to develop. I've had a TX for almost two years with no problems, and a T300 for about four months with no issues. Given so many of the FFB settings I've seen people posting with insanely heavy strength settings, I'm not surprised there have been so many failures. Personally, I think part of the problem is people buying units from distributors that have slow inventory cycles and are still selling some of the older original units that were faulty. I purchased my TX online from either GameStop or BestBuy--can't remember which--because I knew I'd be able to take it back to the physical store and get an immediate refund if there was a problem. But it's never given me trouble. I bought my T300 from an Amazon Prime retailer, because Amazon will take the return with no hassle. From what I've heard, it's easier to go through Amazon for defective units. I've heard of they replacing units with no hassles that break in the first year.

The other thing is...the G920 doesn't really have any upgradeable base components. What you buy is what you will have for the life of the unit. If you're a casual gamer, that's probably fine. But if you consider sim racing a hobby, then you should probably consider buying a wheel platform that allows you more upgrade/customization options. The F1 rim is a great example. You don't need it to drive the Forumla series, but man it's so much more fun when you do.

All that said, the stock TX pedals aren't as good as the stock G920 pedals, so you're probably gonna want to upgrade to the T3PAs or mod the stock TX pedals. There's a really good, easy to install faux conical mod that you do with two rubber stoppers. Quite a few DIY videos of it online.

the_monk
16-10-2015, 15:24
I know there are other threads on this topic, but I see very few posts from individuals that have used both wheels and can compare the pros and the cons of each. To generalize what I think I know from reading posts, the popular opinion seems to be the TX has the better FF, while the G920 has the slightly better pedals and wheel. Also, the TX wheel base seems to have a higher rate of failure, though the newer builds may be better than older wheel bases. I am aware that add-on wheels and upgraded pedals can be purchased for the TX, but realistically, finances would prevent me from upgrading those things for at least a year - and perhaps ever. So my question is which wheel/pedal set (without upgrades) do you prefer? If you prefer one strongly over the other, please explain why. For the purpose of this thread, let's assume price is identical for each.

Don't rule out the Mad Catz pro wheel, its a nice wheel & awesome if you can get it on a discounted price.

OnlookerDelay
16-10-2015, 20:25
Actually, there are quite a few reviewers (people who have used many different wheels) coming to the same conclusion (that the TX is stronger and smoother). It's also a result of their internal mechanics. The TX is belt driven, in this class of wheel, that's always going to be smoother and stronger than the helical gears. I've also heard the strange knocking noise that the G29 makes when running on curbs and bumps. Since the 29 and 920 are just different console versions of the same wheel, I'd check to see if the 920 makes the same noise, because if it does, I wouldn't touch that wheel, because that knocking is seriously annoying.

Also, the TX has been out way longer than the G920, so that's more time for horror stories to develop. I've had a TX for almost two years with no problems, and a T300 for about four months with no issues. Given so many of the FFB settings I've seen people posting with insanely heavy strength settings, I'm not surprised there have been so many failures. Personally, I think part of the problem is people buying units from distributors that have slow inventory cycles and are still selling some of the older original units that were faulty. I purchased my TX online from either GameStop or BestBuy--can't remember which--because I knew I'd be able to take it back to the physical store and get an immediate refund if there was a problem. But it's never given me trouble. I bought my T300 from an Amazon Prime retailer, because Amazon will take the return with no hassle. From what I've heard, it's easier to go through Amazon for defective units. I've heard of they replacing units with no hassles that break in the first year.

The other thing is...the G920 doesn't really have any upgradeable base components. What you buy is what you will have for the life of the unit. If you're a casual gamer, that's probably fine. But if you consider sim racing a hobby, then you should probably consider buying a wheel platform that allows you more upgrade/customization options. The F1 rim is a great example. You don't need it to drive the Forumla series, but man it's so much more fun when you do.

All that said, the stock TX pedals aren't as good as the stock G920 pedals, so you're probably gonna want to upgrade to the T3PAs or mod the stock TX pedals. There's a really good, easy to install faux conical mod that you do with two rubber stoppers. Quite a few DIY videos of it online.

All good advice and insight Haiden. One of my options was to buy the Thrustmater TX Racing Wheel Servo Base, pair it with the 599XX EVO 30 Wheel, and use my Fanatec Club Sport Elite pedals (via a Basherboard CPX Adapter) with it. Since I already own the Fanatec Clubsport Elite pedals, that combo would have cost me $20 more than the G920. I didn't have the patience to wait out the release of the Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel Servo Base, which is now more than a month overdue. If the base had been on the market last week, that's probably the direction I would have gone and I'm pretty sure I'd have been more satisfied with it than the G920. I know I miss using my Clubsport Elite pedals already!

Dynomight Motorsports
16-10-2015, 22:57
So far so good, My 4th Base is working good. I had two burn up, presumably because the FFB on this game killed it. Then My third base had an issue which has happened to many others on here with the wheel just spinning lock to lock and not registering any movement, the Hall Sensor failed. That was my 3rd Base. Each base took a little over two-three weeks to get back from the company. I have a warranty and I plan on just going through that next time. I love the wheel when it works, and I like the add-ons. I have the add-on GTE rim, and it's quite nice, however the pedals suck. I don't know the quality or feel of the Logitech, although it will be my next wheel if my TX fails again.
My advice is to buy from a big box store and get a warranty Under no circumstances would I advise anyone to go through Thrustmaster, their Customer Service Sucks. Also with other failures, not just mine I would buy a Thrustmaster Spider non-FFB as a back-up wheel or you may be without for a while.

OnlookerDelay
17-10-2015, 10:56
I wish I could vote your post up many times. Informative and unbiased comparison.

Let us know how the wheel holds up over time. Also with that "Grittiness" is it possible at all to open the body without voiding warranty, maybe applying a little grease to the gears or cleaning it if there is some sort of debris in there?

I don't think there's any debris in the mechanism. I've heard that this is common among wheels of this type. I really don't think about the gritty feel anymore. I have to make myself aware of it to know that it's there now. However, if I used my Fanatec GT2 wheel again, and then went back to the G920 after an hour or two, I'd have a more attune perspective on it and notice it more. The clearances look pretty tight on the hub assembly, so I don't know that I'd want to try to have a go at digging into, especially during the warranty period.

Braken99
17-10-2015, 18:04
I love my Thrustmaster TX.

I have about 700 hrs use on my Thruster TX and have had no problems with the wheel. I give it a 10/10 and love it.. There are plenty of people using the tx who often help each other with setup. There are often strong opinions from some who claim to know the best way to set it up, but I suggest experimenting, researching and going with what feels good to you. I recommend starting with jack spade tweaker files and I'm in the group that likes to adjust both steering ratio and DOR degrees of rotation by pushing mode button and d pad left/ right since it feels better and is better IMO even though you they say you dont need to since the game automatically adjusts per car many othrs agree and certainly disagree on this.. Ihave the gte addon rim, tp3pa pedals and shifter th8a. I dont use the shifter much but its fun every now and then. I recommend watching inside sim raci ng vids for thos who havent seen them to help you make an educated choice. Darin and John have tried them all and i believe they have an unbiased opinion. The best thing about all this is if you like sim racing then you have it mAde with as many good affordable options to choose from.

Btw have you seen the new alcantara wheel for the TX, check it out on inside sim racing. Darin gives it huge complements and compares to a $500 momo wheel he has in his collection. If you're not familiar with alcantara and think its a gimmick or somthing, i can tell for certain it is not. My car has an Alcantara steering wheel and well, its not to shabby lol.
Someone please take a shot at my comments, I love the battle.

breyzipp
17-10-2015, 20:06
I had a G25 in the past for the PS3. I heard the G920 isn't all that differnt from it. i now have a TX 458 Italia edition with seperate addons : T3PA pedals, TH8A shifter and GT leather wheel. Some quick thoughts :

The Italia pedals feel cheap, the T3PA pedals are superb! I never liked my G25 pedals much as the spring in the gas pedal was too strong and made me hurt my knee inside for too long sessions day after day,

As for the shifter goes, the TH8A is awesome, it completely blows that puny Logitech shifter in the water! But it is also very expensive.

The GT leather wheel is a bit better than both G25 and Italia as well.

By now you could buy the TX base + GT leather wheel + T3PA in 1 package, IMO that's a more quality deal than the G920.

Danny Wilde
18-10-2015, 06:09
Thrustmaster TX with nice Daschboard:

flybikes
18-10-2015, 07:01
Thrustmaster TX with nice Daschboard:

That dashboard only works on pc right?

Danny Wilde
18-10-2015, 08:22
That dashboard only works on pc right?

Thats right. Only PC

Dynomight Motorsports
18-10-2015, 18:32
MS could make a lot of people happy if the console could use the same peripherals as the PC which is MS based OS. I would get back into First Person Shooters if they would allow the use of a mouse. Seems like a no brainer.

OpticalHercules
19-10-2015, 15:33
MS could make a lot of people happy if the console could use the same peripherals as the PC which is MS based OS. I would get back into First Person Shooters if they would allow the use of a mouse. Seems like a no brainer.

Most peripherals, yeah I agree with you. Enabling mouse on console for competitive FPS however, that would end my interest in console FPS completely. The controller is an equalizer in those game, in my opinion. If I want to use a mouse or mod, I FPS on PC, if I want a more level playing field, I play on console, and yes, I do play on both. I know there are modded controllers that skew the playing field, but they are an exception to the rule. Just my opinion.

Once the Win10 Xbox thing releases, it may (hopefully) become easier to make peripherals interchangeable.

OnlookerDelay
27-10-2015, 20:32
All of the sudden yesterday, my Logitech G920 starting having difficulty manual shifting with auto-clutch in both PC (Project CARS and iRacing) and XBox One (Forza 6). It will shift up or down sometimes, but will go for 10 seconds to a minute without being able to down or upshift period in all games. I even remapped the up and downshift commands from the paddles to the b and x buttons for Forza 6, and it still did the same thing. It makes manual shifting useless, needless to say. I did switch to auto shifting in all games and at least confirmed that shifting was normal there, but that's not how I roll.

Anyone experienced this before? I haven't a clue as to what could be causing this, it just started today, after nearly three weeks of flawless operation. I've powered it down, the PC down, and the XBox One down... makes no difference.

Today I found my G920's odd problem was not just with paddle operability, but ALL button operability after I turn the wheel to the right of dead center. I just put the wheel through a battery of tests using Windows Device Manager Properties tool. All buttons work fine as long as I'm turning the wheel to the left. As soon as I go right of center though, they ALL stop working, including the four points of the "D" pad, until I turn the wheel back to the left of center, whereupon they all reset and start working again.

Once I go just the least bit right of center again though, the problem repeats itself. I've done the test at least a dozen times and it repeats without fail.

I hope Logitech can do something with this. If not, at least let me know if this is a hardware problem and I need to send my wheel back, or if this is something that can be fixed through firmware. I'm mostly concerned that it is a hardware problem since it didn't show itself through three weeks of heavy use.

rtazz17
27-10-2015, 22:23
B
All of the sudden yesterday, my Logitech G920 starting having difficulty manual shifting with auto-clutch in both PC (Project CARS and iRacing) and XBox One (Forza 6). It will shift up or down sometimes, but will go for 10 seconds to a minute without being able to down or upshift period in all games. I even remapped the up and downshift commands from the paddles to the b and x buttons for Forza 6, and it still did the same thing. It makes manual shifting useless, needless to say. I did switch to auto shifting in all games and at least confirmed that shifting was normal there, but that's not how I roll.

Anyone experienced this before? I haven't a clue as to what could be causing this, it just started today, after nearly three weeks of flawless operation. I've powered it down, the PC down, and the XBox One down... makes no difference.

Today I found my G920's odd problem was not just with paddle operability, but ALL button operability after I turn the wheel to the right of dead center. I just put the wheel through a battery of tests using Windows Device Manager Properties tool. All buttons work fine as long as I'm turning the wheel to the left. As soon as I go right of center though, they ALL stop working, including the four points of the "D" pad, until I turn the wheel back to the left of center, whereupon they all reset and start working again.

Once I go just the least bit right of center again though, the problem repeats itself. I've done the test at least a dozen times and it repeats without fail.

I hope Logitech can do something with this. If not, at least let me know if this is a hardware problem and I need to send my wheel back, or if this is something that can be fixed through firmware. I'm mostly concerned that it is a hardware problem since it didn't show itself through three weeks of heavy use.

Sorry to hear this but you did say in your last post you chose this wheel over the thrustmaster tx for reliability reasons... There goes that theory... Ive had my tx almost a yr with zero issues and hundreads of hrs on it... Good luck in a fix...

OnlookerDelay
27-10-2015, 22:39
Sorry to hear this but you did say in your last post you chose this wheel over the thrustmaster tx for reliability reasons... There goes that theory... Ive had my tx almost a yr with zero issues and hundreads of hrs on it... Good luck in a fix...

Yep, ironic isn't it? The thing is, I don't know whether this is actually due to a hardware failure or something funky happening with the firmware. I see other similar problems being reported with the G920 and buttons periodically going inoperable, so maybe there is something funky with the firmware. It sucks having to race in auto, and it particularly saps the fun out of the game in Project CARS.

Johngrim
27-10-2015, 23:35
The turning the wheel to the right thing is odd. A guy in our league had a similar problem except the wheel paused the game when turned right! He got it replaced! Sounds like a similar fault.

Cheekiecharlie
27-10-2015, 23:36
thats a bit shit,i have been using the g920 from release,bought it on pre order from logitech,so had it from early september and its has performed flawlessly,i rate it even better than my fanatec gt2 wheel ,had quite a few problems with that and the clubsport pedals ,got them replaced ,but i'd genuinly say the 920 is better ,the only downside i have is the g920 has a smaller wheel circumference ,which took a bit of getting used to

Raven403
28-10-2015, 11:52
Most peripherals, yeah I agree with you. Enabling mouse on console for competitive FPS however, that would end my interest in console FPS completely. The controller is an equalizer in those game, in my opinion. If I want to use a mouse or mod, I FPS on PC, if I want a more level playing field, I play on console, and yes, I do play on both. I know there are modded controllers that skew the playing field, but they are an exception to the rule. Just my opinion.

Once the Win10 Xbox thing releases, it may (hopefully) become easier to make peripherals interchangeable.

Off topic but Im with you there Optical. I actually prefer the controller, I use the X1 controller on my PC for almost everything too, bioshock, fallout, skyrim that sorta thing. Pcars I use the TX obviously.

If we could use the button boxes and cool add ons available for PC on the X1 also, that would be awesome. But I think Im already on a one way ride to full time PC gamer, so it wont matter to me personally

OnlookerDelay
28-10-2015, 16:43
Thanks for all the insights on this problem guys. This apparently is a wider spread problem than meets the eye. I'd posted my problem in the Logtiech Support forum, and more people weighed in with similar complaints.

I just found this post, dated today, in that forum from a G29 owner who's having the same problem. He took his wheel apart and found wires that had separated on a pin connector base on the back of the steering wheel circuit board. Here's a link to his post containing an image: G29/G920 connector problem (http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Logitech-G-Controllers/NEW-Logitech-G29-PROBLEM/td-p/1425361/page/3) Question is, do I repair it (and reinforce it) myself, voiding my warranty, or send it back to Logitech for a replacement wheel that's going to be prone to the same problem? I shouldn't be having this sort of problem out of a $400 wheel... did they not realize what sort of stress these connectors would be subject to!?

Dynomight Motorsports
29-10-2015, 01:46
Glad you found the problem, I was going to suggest it was a Harness issue. I've had 3 TX failures, I took them apart as Thrustmaster never takes them back. I found the transformers on the first two had overheated and melted a plastic molex plug inside the step-down transformer. It's not vented and the amp draw from the motor just super heats the spades on the connector. The fan inside the TX only blows on the motor. I've since turned down my force feedback to save wheelbase except for the 3rd base where the Hall sensor went bad and wouldn't calibrate. But all is good some preventive maintenance will hopefully keep this one working. I recommend checking into Logitech's return policy, and if you don't have to send it back, crack that thing open and fix it yourself. You will have the satisfaction of knowing it's fix and the confidence to go out and win some races. I'm a Technician by trade and work on medical devices and CPU's all day. But you can probably watch a youtube video if you have any doubts about opening it up. I've repaired a couple of cellphones, and a tablet with youtube video's

OnlookerDelay
29-10-2015, 03:17
Glad you found the problem, I was going to suggest it was a Harness issue. I've had 3 TX failures, I took them apart as Thrustmaster never takes them back. I found the transformers on the first two had overheated and melted a plastic molex plug inside the step-down transformer. It's not vented and the amp draw from the motor just super heats the spades on the connector. The fan inside the TX only blows on the motor. I've since turned down my force feedback to save wheelbase except for the 3rd base where the Hall sensor went bad and wouldn't calibrate. But all is good some preventive maintenance will hopefully keep this one working. I recommend checking into Logitech's return policy, and if you don't have to send it back, crack that thing open and fix it yourself. You will have the satisfaction of knowing it's fix and the confidence to go out and win some races. I'm a Technician by trade and work on medical devices and CPU's all day. But you can probably watch a youtube video if you have any doubts about opening it up. I've repaired a couple of cellphones, and a tablet with youtube video's

Really helpful insight Dynomight. I'm an electronics technician in a nuclear power plant and I'm no stranger to this sort of repair. This is a wee bit on the more exotic side with the servo/helical drive on the G920, but that's not where the problem lies here. I hardwired - by soldering - the USB cord to my Fanatec GT2 after the female USB plug broke off it's circuit board. I've also done the Red Ring of Death repair on 8 XBox 360's (for myself, neighbors, and friends), by taking off the stock heat sink, and putting my own in place of it with Arctic Silver thermal paste. None of them ever RROD'd again :)

I thought about your comment concerning the confidence factor... I think I would feel more confident in the wheel knowing that the connector wires weren't going to come off again!

sublime1996525
13-11-2015, 00:21
I just wanted to bump this thread for continued info.

PFalcon
13-11-2015, 18:06
I have used both the G920 and the TX (leather edition wheel with T3PA pedals). I prefer virtually every aspect (wheel feel, pedal feel, FFB effects) of the TX over the G920. I did spend a few more dollars and purchase a 3 year protection plan/warranty on my TX. I'm hoping it never becomes necessary, but the peace of mind is worth it.

By the way, the cost was identical for the G920 and the TX Leather Edition T3PA package ($400), so it was a no-brainer deciding which to keep after using both.

Note - I just realized I was the original thread starter for this thread. So I guess I finally answered my own question! ;)

sublime1996525
30-11-2015, 02:30
I have used both the G920 and the TX (leather edition wheel with T3PA pedals). I prefer virtually every aspect (wheel feel, pedal feel, FFB effects) of the TX over the G920. I did spend a few more dollars and purchase a 3 year protection plan/warranty on my TX. I'm hoping it never becomes necessary, but the peace of mind is worth it.

By the way, the cost was identical for the G920 and the TX Leather Edition T3PA package ($400), so it was a no-brainer deciding which to keep after using both.

Note - I just realized I was the original thread starter for this thread. So I guess I finally answered my own question! ;)

Lol nice!

nissan4ever
30-11-2015, 03:53

LOL!! Nice! Welcome to the TX family :)

Dazza
04-12-2015, 15:24
I've since turned down my force feedback to save wheelbase except for the 3rd base where the Hall sensor went bad and wouldn't calibrate.

i've had 3 wheel bases fail now due to these dam hall sensors breaking. funny thing is if i use the motor calibration tool support sent me the wheel works fine for a day i can re calibrate it no issues 20 times, but then the next day it fails intill i use the tool again, thrustmaster refuse to sell me the sensors as a spare. lucky realized amazon uk have a 2 yr warranty. but as its my 3rd failure refuse to send me a new 1, can only get money back. not liking the fact thrustmaster support will not sell spare parts. now i have the dilemma of do i sell my pedals and rim and get a g290, or do i buy a wheel base and risk a 4th failing.

Intense Chip
14-12-2015, 15:12
I also have A TX but I recently upgraded to the Thrustmaster Leather 28 GT Wheel - Wheelstand Pro Deluxe V2 and am quite glad that I made the upgrade. I couldn't believe what a difference this wheel made to my playing, and there are more options for assigning buttons for different tasks!!