PDA

View Full Version : pCars freezing after Overclock

cosmicamnesia
15-10-2015, 00:51
Hey lads and ladies,

So I just gave my system a mild overclock (+135mHz core and +450mHz memory). It's been running amazingly well and benchmarking impressively on FireStrike Extreme at 1440p 144Hz (graphics score was 10058 for my two 980m's in SLI) but for some reason, pCars has been freezing up after a few laps or less recently. It's strange because it will freeze but the physics and sound will keep going and the only way i can stop it is with Task Manager. And this is the only game that this has happened with so far, DiRt Rally has been amazing, MGSV has been amazing and even pCars has been performing amazingly (until it freezes).

Any ideas? I'm very new to overclocking. thx

Stones
15-10-2015, 01:11
Running core @ +197 and mem @ +345 with no problems on a single 970 strix. Perhaps oc SLI is an issue?

BullWinkle
15-10-2015, 01:23
What are your in-game graphics settings? (pics would help). If you have all set to Ultra try Med/High on Environment Map,Reflections,etc. But you may still have to turn back your overclock abit if that don't help.:D

TrevorAustin
15-10-2015, 06:59
Hey lads and ladies,

So I just gave my system a mild overclock (+135mHz core and +450mHz memory). It's been running amazingly well and benchmarking impressively on FireStrike Extreme at 1440p 144Hz (graphics score was 10058 for my two 980m's in SLI) but for some reason, pCars has been freezing up after a few laps or less recently. It's strange because it will freeze but the physics and sound will keep going and the only way i can stop it is with Task Manager. And this is the only game that this has happened with so far, DiRt Rally has been amazing, MGSV has been amazing and even pCars has been performing amazingly (until it freezes).

Any ideas? I'm very new to overclocking. thx

Turn your voltage up. And if that doesn't do it, knock each one down 5 at a time until it does.

I had exactly the same problem after patch 5 and the latest nvidia driver.

cosmicamnesia
15-10-2015, 18:40
Turn your voltage up. And if that doesn't do it, knock each one down 5 at a time until it does.

I had exactly the same problem after patch 5 and the latest nvidia driver.

I actually can't turn up the voltage on afterburner, even with voltage settings unlocked. I think the Bios limits that or something. I can only mess with the core clock and the memory. I just don't understand why it would only happen with pCars, aside from update problems or the new driver. Also, I do play with everything on Ultra with the nvidia control panel AA and pCars DS2x, generally getting 80-120 fps with 25 AIs or so and I use similar settings with every game I play, so far no problems with anything else.

Saloei
16-10-2015, 00:56
If your problem is heat related, then raising the voltage will not fix your problem. I'm suggesting investing in gpu water cooling:o

BuToNz
16-10-2015, 12:41
I think people are missing that the OP has an 980m (Mobile GPU).

Pretty pointless overclocking the 980m, it will boost on it's own when thermals allow. By overclocking you are likely allowing it to hit the thermal threshold too quickly.

DaRoN
16-10-2015, 19:20
I've been facing the same issue here.
I have GTX960 from ASUS and on stock cooling you have a very limited possibilities to overclock it. 1200MHz is a top in-game OC and sometimes on my OSD I see it being even 1100MHz.
pCARS is very demanding and I tought its my CPU so I was bouncing around CPU voltages and MEM clocks but at the end I have put my GPU to stock and it give me the magic.
OCing is a very slow process if you want it rock stable. Believe me, its not easybizzi to raise your clocks. Be patient and for GPU use some benchmark first. Use FurMark first instead of pCARS. But at the end - pCARS has more tendecy to crash with oced gpu. for me settings for in-game play are around 20MHz lower than for FurMark but at least FurMark will show you how your 980's are doing in syntethic (non-memory) benches.

cosmicamnesia
16-10-2015, 23:27
I've been facing the same issue here.
I have GTX960 from ASUS and on stock cooling you have a very limited possibilities to overclock it. 1200MHz is a top in-game OC and sometimes on my OSD I see it being even 1100MHz.
pCARS is very demanding and I tought its my CPU so I was bouncing around CPU voltages and MEM clocks but at the end I have put my GPU to stock and it give me the magic.
OCing is a very slow process if you want it rock stable. Believe me, its not easybizzi to raise your clocks. Be patient and for GPU use some benchmark first. Use FurMark first instead of pCARS. But at the end - pCARS has more tendecy to crash with oced gpu. for me settings for in-game play are around 20MHz lower than for FurMark but at least FurMark will show you how your 980's are doing in syntethic (non-memory) benches.

Well, I'm back to stock everything, but I'm not even reaching my original stock score on FireStrike extreme. In fact its about half of what it was overall. SLI is still turned on but I can't really feel any heat so I have no idea what's happening now. Really hoping I didn't fuck something up. But I did my research before attempting the overclock and there's plenty of successful attempts with much higher clocks. There's a few people that have this setup overpowering desktop 980 SLI setups reliably. What do you think is going on with my GPUs though? It's crazy how little theyre giving me. Ever since I downloaded inspector and messed with it things have been really not very good at all, even after returning to stock. Afterburner didn't do anything like that, just the occasional freeze.

cosmicamnesia
16-10-2015, 23:38
I really REALLY REALLY can't wait for a few weeks or so from now when Digital Storm gets their plot of the new mobile GTX 980's. They're the best, gonna swap them out for me as well as the new i7 as long as I give back the current GPUs and CPU (and a few hundred bucks, probably). Service like that is worth the price for sure. And the new SLI setup was designed to be overclocked, so it will be amazing to finally have that on a mobile PC. Let's hope I didn't just brick one of my GPUs :[

cosmicamnesia
17-10-2015, 01:14
This is bad, can't even play right now. I'm kind of afraid to mess with anything else, but I can't believe I could have destroyed a GPU that powerful with the small overclock I gave it. And I only had it on for a few days max (with afterburner) and like I said before, I got inspector to up the voltage a tiny bit (it was like 5% higher, if that) but as soon as I applied settings to both GPUs nothing was working correctly and hasn't been since.

Stones
17-10-2015, 01:30
What is your driver version (Nvidia)?
Also, are you running more than one oc software? You mentioned inspector and afterburner?

yusupov
17-10-2015, 01:31
ive never run SLI so sorry if this is a dumb question but why not disable it & test each GPU separately?

cosmicamnesia
17-10-2015, 21:24
What is your driver version (Nvidia)?
Also, are you running more than one oc software? You mentioned inspector and afterburner?

Well not at the same time, but yes they're both on my PC. Could that be causing the problem? I essentially have them both at stock right now and haven't applied anything, but maybe the fact that they're both possibly running in the background is causing an issue. And I'm using the most recent Nvidia Driver.

cosmicamnesia
17-10-2015, 21:27
ive never run SLI so sorry if this is a dumb question but why not disable it & test each GPU separately?

That's not a dumb question at all. I hadn't thought of that but I'll figure out how to do that. I dunno if I can switch between one or the other separately but there's probably a way.

Stones
17-10-2015, 21:40
Well not at the same time, but yes they're both on my PC. Could that be causing the problem? I essentially have them both at stock right now and haven't applied anything, but maybe the fact that they're both possibly running in the background is causing an issue. And I'm using the most recent Nvidia Driver.

I would make sure that only one is running in the background. If you're at stock settings for your cards, you probably don't need to run them in the background, at all. Worth a shot.

cosmicamnesia
17-10-2015, 21:45
Okay so I just uninstalled afterbuner andstuff is still weird. 3dmark crashed while running the final FireStrike extrme test, though it was slightly smoother up until then, but the frames were still waaaaayyyy too low. I'm gonna uninstall Inspector and see what happens. Might be worth a restart too.

cosmicamnesia
17-10-2015, 22:01
Everything uninstalled now, haven't restarted, but I ran another benchmark and the GPUs will NOT go above 54 degrees.