PDA

View Full Version : T500 questions

havocc
15-10-2015, 14:02
Since T300 alcantara won't be out until 11/26 and i can barely resist a month and half with my gamepad i have some questions:
* does t500 come with t3pa-pro or i have to buy them separately?
* what are the differences between t500 and t300 (i need to use on pc only)
* is th8a compatible with t500?
* are other wheels compatible with t500 servo base?

last: what would you do in my place?

Thanks

Gherkin44
15-10-2015, 14:30
I'm not sure if the pedals are the same as the T3PA Pro pedals. They are very solid metal construction though so are about as good as you are going to get unless you get the more expensive Fanatec Clubsport pedals.
The T500rs and T300rs are very similar, the main differences being the rim and pedals included.
The TH8A is part of the Thrustmaster Eco System so is compatible with just about any wheel above the T100.
Again, the T500rs and T300rs are part of the Thrustmaster Eco System so other rims (from Thrustmaster - adapters for other rims are available) are compatible with the T500 and can be detached and attached according to what you prefer.

By the way I don't own Thrustmaster gear, this is just what I know from forums and window shopping. Someone else might be able to offer you more of an insight.

Keithb23
15-10-2015, 14:55
The T3PA Pro Pedals are identical to the pedals that come with the t500RS. The wheel that comes with the T300 has the paddle shifters on the wheel, whereas the wheel that comes with the T500 does not have paddle shifters on it, the shifters are static, that is, mounted to the T500 wheel base. You can easily remove the static shifters, but you will need to purchase a different wheel, such as the Ferarri GTE (http://mobile.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/products/ferrari-gte-wheel-add-ferrari-458-challenge-edition?destination=505/) wheel, which has shifters mounted to the wheel. There are a number of other wheels you can purchase as well.

havocc
15-10-2015, 14:58
Are static paddle shifters better than mobile ones?

Silraed
15-10-2015, 15:53
Are static paddle shifters better than mobile ones?

That is purely a matter of personal preference.

Personally I like them attached to the wheel, others do not and like them static on the base. There is no better or worse.

Keithb23
16-10-2015, 01:47
Personally I think Thrustmaster realized early on that making static paddles (especially big ugly chrome ones...yuck!) was an error on their part. They tried to put a positive spin on it by claiming it was better because it was different, but realized quickly that there was a lot more demand for the paddles on the wheel. The T300 for instance, was released with the shifter paddles on the wheel. Static paddles are only really used on rally cars (and some drift cars) because of the much greater wheel rotation requirements. It would be easy for a rally/drift driver to lose track of which paddle is up-shift and which is down-shift when you have to turn the wheel as much as they do. On the majority of GT and Prototype/Open Wheel cars the degrees of rotation required is much smaller, therefore paddles on the wheel make more sense. The trouble with static paddles is you end up having to reach awkwardly at times to engage the paddle. That's why a lot of the rally cars actually have a static 'hoop' that completely goes around the wheel, giving the driver more access that way.

In answer to the question, 'which is better?', the answer is, of course, 'it depends'! If you prefer rally racing or drifting, then you might like to have the static shifter paddles. If you are more into GT/Open Wheel racing, you definitely want the paddles on the wheel. Thrustmaster has a number of really great options for wheels now that are priced very reasonably. Have fun!

SUBGTRACER
16-10-2015, 02:06
Just to add the t500 is robust as F@#K .....very strong wheel ....I love the thing

Liquid7394
16-10-2015, 02:25
Since T300 alcantara won't be out until 11/26 and i can barely resist a month and half with my gamepad i have some questions:
* does t500 come with t3pa-pro or i have to buy them separately?
* what are the differences between t500 and t300 (i need to use on pc only)
* is th8a compatible with t500?
* are other wheels compatible with t500 servo base?

last: what would you do in my place?

Thanks
1. Yes. They're included.
2. T500 is better overall from what I've heard.
3. Yes.
4. If you mean rims, then yes. You can buy the Alcantara rim separately.

havocc
16-10-2015, 07:38
So why will t300 alcantara have the same price as t500 if it has a slightly inferior servo base and plastic pedals? Just because "it's new"?

Djinn
16-10-2015, 08:07
The Alcantara stand-alone wheel is very pricy on it's own.

Liquid7394
16-10-2015, 11:11
So why will t300 alcantara have the same price as t500 if it has a slightly inferior servo base and plastic pedals? Just because "it's new"?
Pretty much. I haven't used a T500 but I have heard it's the better wheel.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
20-10-2015, 06:18
Are static paddle shifters better than mobile ones?Personally, static paddles all the way. They're always in the same place so easy to find, they're big enough that you can reach them in every situation you should be changing gears in (you really should avoid getting into situations where you're shifting with massive lock on), and they can even improve your driving by making you think about shifting a bit more initially.

The pedals aren't 100% the same, the T3PA Pro pedals have a newer, better brake mod addition, the old system is a spring and a rubber base for that spring, the new one is a conical rubber stopper.

And yeah, alcantara rims be expensive. They feel nice but after having tried various wheels (including my friend's CSW V2 with the F1 rim, the BMW GT rim, and two aftermarket rims on universal hubs, one smaller leather covered one and another a larger alcantara job), for me personally at least the rubber they used in the T500 rim is more than good enough, and certainly up to the task, the important thing is getting a rim that's at least 30 cm in diameter. 2-3 cm doesn't sound like much, but it has a fairly dramatic effect on feel and how your arms align, and just makes the T500's GT rim feel so much nicer to me than the smaller T300 rim. The new alcantara rim for Thrustmasters is also 30 cm in diameter.

SUBGTRACER
20-10-2015, 06:52
Mobile paddles all the way for me :)

The gt rim is nice and as Jussi said the rubber is off good durable quality , couldn't see that wearing our for years , just don't let your wife have a go if she is a nail tech as mine is ......She put a couple of minor scratch marks in it :)

havocc
20-10-2015, 08:03
I noticed Zonda R and Ferrari FXX-K have static paddles, that's enough for me :)

@Subgt i don't have a wife and i would never let a woman drive a car anyway :D JK

SUBGTRACER
20-10-2015, 08:17
I noticed Zonda R and Ferrari FXX-K have static paddles, that's enough for me :)

@Subgt i don't have a wife and i would never let a woman drive a car anyway :D JK
Hehe you will one day .

Kelderek
20-10-2015, 08:26

Static or wheel based paddles differs from brand to brand... It appears they all have different opinion as to what is best.

In the real world, you will see paddle shifters on the wheel in all Porsche models, McLaren, Audi R8, Corvette...
Paddles mounted on the steering columns can be seen in all Ferraris, Lamborghini, Subaru and Nissan.

It's interesting that Thrustmaster's Ferrari branded wheels have paddles mounted on the wheel, that's not consistent with real world Ferrari's!

I drive a Porsche with paddle shifters in real life. It's great when the paddles follows the wheel as long as you have your hands fixed to the wheel. If you turn the wheel to a degree when you need to shift your grip, it can get confusing... When that happens, I shift by pulling the stick instead!

AB_Attack
20-10-2015, 10:21
T500 is a little bigger than T300.

20-10-2015, 14:34
T500 is a little bigger than T300.True, quite a lot bigger actually. Though it does have one smaller bit as well: If you measure the distance from the center of the steering wheel axis to the top of the wheelbase, it's shorter than it is on the T300. This means that (especially in combination with the 30 cm steering wheel rim) the gap between the rim and the wheelbase is larger, so if you can adjust your screens in the right position, you can view the dashboard through the wheel (as you do in most real cars) better with the T500. =)

Fre.Mo
20-10-2015, 16:01
True, quite a lot bigger actually. Though it does have one smaller bit as well: If you measure the distance from the center of the steering wheel axis to the top of the wheelbase, it's shorter than it is on the T300. This means that (especially in combination with the 30 cm steering wheel rim) the gap between the rim and the wheelbase is larger, so if you can adjust your screens in the right position, you can view the dashboard through the wheel (as you do in most real cars) better with the T500. =)

What field of view is it?

20-10-2015, 16:14
What field of view is it?That is from rFactor right after I got my T500 and before I got everything lined upas well as possible, but I think it's about 70 degrees (in pCARS terms, rFactor uses vertical FOV so it's different there). I use a 42" HDTV that's about 65 cm away from my eyes when driving, so working through the math (simple trigonometry) the TV covers about 70 degrees of my field of view, making it the FOV to use for a realistic projection with minimal distortion (i.e. everything on the screen is the same size and in the correct direction it'd be if I was inside the car looking at things).

SUBGTRACER
20-10-2015, 21:10
Well , that just looks absolutely brilliant .......I need to make a bracket to drop my tv down about 250mm ........Next mod coming .

21-10-2015, 00:12
Well , that just looks absolutely brilliant .......I need to make a bracket to drop my tv down about 250mm ........Next mod coming .It does, doesn't it? I've always wondered why so many people shy away from setting up their displays in this manner. I used to do it with the G25 and my 23" monitors as well, and while the lower vertical FOV is a bit unfortunate (can't really see the top end of the windscreen), I still think the overall effect was easily worth it. The G25 wheelbase (and by extension the G27 and G29 which have the same base) is even thinner than the T500 one, and works even better when set up in this manner. I really want to get a proper direct drive servo wheel at some point, they're even more minimalistic. =)

SUBGTRACER
21-10-2015, 00:22
I wanted to do it for ages but my son plays on my ps4 some times , that's the only thing that has stopped me as he's seven and struggles to see over the wheel as it is when he wants to play minecraft or whatever he's enjoying at the time .....

He's lucky I have a t500 so I can remove the rim which helps him see a little better :) ....... he does have his own ps3 , maybe I just get him his own PS4 and be done with it .

That's it its happening , I want a better fov ...... I have put a lot of effort into my rig I may as well go all the way . I will have to build a tv Stand to straddle my rigg's base , may try and make the tv adjustable vertically .

soz terrible quality pic

Fre.Mo
21-10-2015, 06:43
I wanted to do it for ages but my son plays on my ps4 some times , that's the only thing that has stopped me as he's seven and struggles to see over the wheel as it is when he wants to play minecraft or whatever he's enjoying at the time .....

He's lucky I have a t500 so I can remove the rim which helps him see a little better :) ....... he does have his own ps3 , maybe I just get him his own PS4 and be done with it .

That's it its happening , I want a better fov ...... I have put a lot of effort into my rig I may as well go all the way . I will have to build a tv Stand to straddle my rigg's base , may try and make the tv adjustable vertically .

soz terrible quality pic

Your rig looks good but where is your button box?

DJBLITZKRIEG
21-10-2015, 13:59
welcome to capitalism.

SUBGTRACER
22-10-2015, 00:45
Your rig looks good but where is your button box?

old pic bud :) will get some new ones

havocc
22-10-2015, 08:21
I realized that i can screw t3pa pro in gt style to the vertical panel under my desk :D

Tomcul
22-10-2015, 09:36
220675 220674
Not a great picture but couldn't resist..

SUBGTRACER
22-10-2015, 09:40
That looks great Tom +1 from me