PDA

View Full Version : Advice for endurance races

jamesdougherty
15-10-2015, 15:32
Hi everyone. I normally do maximum races of an hour and a half on F1 games but I am about to do the Zolder 3H race on Project Cars and wanted everyone's advice as this is my first endurance since the Gran Turismo 4 days.

Should I use the "Swap Driver" feature when I pit? Also is there a way to fast forward the races when I have done my maximum driving I can handle? I've only done 8-15 lap races on this game so far so I do not understand all the features yet.

Machinist90
15-10-2015, 15:34
if you're up for it you could drive all 3 hours yourself or you could do 1 hour yourself then 1 hour ai and you the last hour again to keep it balanced,make sure you start with full fuel in setup,you can simulate to the end I believe but that tends to mess up results

Bealdor
15-10-2015, 15:35
You can use the "session duration" slider in the event starting screen to scale the race length to your liking. Not 100% sure but I think the min duration for this specific event is 30mins.

jamesdougherty
15-10-2015, 15:42
if you're up for it you could drive all 3 hours yourself or you could do 1 hour yourself then 1 hour ai and you the last hour again to keep it balanced,make sure you start with full fuel in setup,you can simulate to the end I believe but that tends to mess up results

That's a good idea actually. I just got pole for the race so hopefully I can win it. I could perhaps attempt to drive all of it because I let the AI drive after my qualifying lap and was 0.7s a lap slower. I noticed in qualifying before if you skip to the end of the session one AI can set a laptime that is impossible so best to not use that feature then.

jamesdougherty
15-10-2015, 15:43
You can use the "session duration" slider in the event starting screen to scale the race length to your liking. Not 100% sure but I think the min duration for this specific event is 30mins.

Thanks. Yeah it is 30 mins. I like the realism of a full distance race so want to keep it at 3 hours. I just don't necessarily want to drive all of it :)

Maviarab
15-10-2015, 21:10
Be sure to turn off flags and penalties if you plan on using the Ai.

I like to do this for 6/12/24H races (Use the AI for parts of the race while I do something else), but trust me, the AI driver will get you a DQ for cutting unless you turn off penalties ;)

SUBGTRACER
15-10-2015, 23:23
I did a race last night 30 Laps at laguna seca and that was too much with the Ai at 100% gt3s ....... I started to struggle at the 23 lap stage , I have no idea how you can do 3 hrs :)...........I had to turn down FFB for a 30 lapper as the t500 gets a bit much in later stages .

With regards to the skipping session , I fast forwarded time and the issue didn't pop up all track times seemed fine.

jamesdougherty
16-10-2015, 15:05
Yes and don't I know it. I was 2 hours and 20 mins into the 3 hour race and the AI got me DSQ meaning I had to do a separate 40 min race. I was far from impressed but couldn't help laughing because of how annoying it was.

jamesdougherty
16-10-2015, 15:07
I did a race last night 30 Laps at laguna seca and that was too much with the Ai at 100% gt3s ....... I started to struggle at the 23 lap stage , I have no idea how you can do 3 hrs :)...........I had to turn down FFB for a 30 lapper as the t500 gets a bit much in later stages .

With regards to the skipping session , I fast forwarded time and the issue didn't pop up all track times seemed fine.

Ah fair enough. My wheel is non force feedback so it's not as bad. I have a lot of patience which is why I can do these races. I race long races on the Formula 1 Games too so im pretty much used to it.

F1_Racer68
16-10-2015, 15:17
My biggest advice from my experience is to pace yourself. There is no need to push for a pole lap every lap of the race. Find a pace that you can run comfortably and consistently. This is far better (and safer) than trying to go all out every lap.

The reduced tire wear that you will experience this way means you will be able to run those consistent lap times longer than your competition. You may be slower over the first few laps, but over the course of the race you will run a faster overall pace and a faster average lap time.

Using a different platform I have raced in our league for 7 years, running 1.5 to 2 hour races and this year we participated as a team in an online endurance series that included a full (real time) 24 Hours of Le Mans race, online, with driver swaps. This approach allowed us to finish second in class in that race when we were well off the qualifying pace.

Gaaazzzaaa
16-10-2015, 17:39
Be prepared to have your race severely compromised by the AI driver if you do the swap driver thing. Be extremely careful with pit stops , it very easy to not change tyres or have the wrong tyres on in the rain, watch out for AI to call in for an extra pit stop three laps after you've just pitted ,fully refuelled and changed tyres. AI may run out of fuel and may get lost in the pit lane. Turn off flags penalties and damage. Depending what view you use , after the swap drivers session , you may lose HUD and map so remember to map a button to "cycle HUD display". Also map a button to call for pit stops. You will need this to call the swapped driver back in when you want to take over.
The swapped driver feature is great when it works but it fairly regularly contrives to end your race which is bearable in a two hour sprint but infuriating 15 hours into Le Mans. Enjoy.