PDA

View Full Version : Game slows overnight!

tclancey
16-10-2015, 11:42
I like to run full solo weekends ending with long races, 50 laps at a minimum. These distances throw up all sorts of interesting happenings, I fully recommend it!

However, 50 laps of Le Mans takes a rather long time to complete, so I would like to run part of the race one day and carry on the next.

Because we can't save sessions at any point at the moment this is impossible unless you pause your race and leave your box on overnight. I don't like doing this, it's a complete waste of energy, but I've been testing it over the last few days.

Each day the frame rate and graphic splinters gets worse and worse, usually on the 2nd day the game is just unplayable and you have to reset the box losing your weekend.

I don't understand why this happens when I have my box set to Offline all the time during a race weekend, it never goes Online. So what is going on during this paused time that's filling memory and/or bogging down the processor? There has to be a memory leak somewhere.

I am not for one moment suggesting pCars is the problem here, I know the MS xBone 'desktop' is full of problems. But it further highlights the problem, we NEED to be able to SAVE game progress!!!

Cholton82
16-10-2015, 11:46
Endurance racing is one of my favourite types of Motorsport , the longest race I'll do is 2 hours as I simply don't have the time . I refuse to leave my console on overnight or all day so for now this leaves me having to shorten the race lengths down . Mid race saves would be top of my wish list right now !

Dizeaz
16-10-2015, 13:47
I seem to remember hearing similar performance issues for other games being related to memory dumps the systems uses at a game continues to run. In Bloodborne people used it as a tactic to beat harder bosses because the AI would lost certain aspects of their fight if the game had been paused for hours on end..

flybikes
16-10-2015, 16:41
Life can't be stopped.

Shinzah
16-10-2015, 16:56
If you leave any computer running in general it creeps lower in performance, especially if it's constantly writing to memory. This isn't an issue with the game besides that it's a complex game that requires a lot of memory. If you run Project Cars in a 32bit mode (PC users, I don't know about the consoles), it probably will suffer less performance degradation but also it'll have a smaller pool of resources. So you'll need to pick your poison. This is related to all games, and you will notice that if you have a substantial enough uptime that after flushing your system with a reboot gaming performance will often improve.

You're right. Life doesn't stop.

Neither does the 24 hours of LeMans because some driver or another had to go to the pub or to work.

tclancey
16-10-2015, 17:22
No, this is true, which is why we NEED to be able to SAVE the game!! (Wink. Followed by a Grrr!)

I just wasn't sure what an xBone would be doing with it's memory if it had no network connection.

Personally due to chronic pain and being wheelchair dependent I can't stay in one place long enough to run an entire 8 hour race, but I love to run the longer races because pit strategy, tyre choice and fuel loads all become part of the experience. Simply charging round Zolder for 20 laps is hardly even a test of concentration.

I don't know of any other racing 'games' that allow you to save during a session, but I do wish you could add this, I'm sure it would get loads more people into the enjoyment of endurance.

Shinzah
16-10-2015, 17:26
No, this is true, which is why we NEED to be able to SAVE the game!! (Wink. Followed by a Grrr!)

I just wasn't sure what an xBone would be doing with it's memory if it had no network connection.

Personally due to chronic pain and being wheelchair dependent I can't stay in one place long enough to run an entire 8 hour race, but I love to run the longer races because pit strategy, tyre choice and fuel loads all become part of the experience. Simply charging round Zolder for 20 laps is hardly even a test of concentration.

I don't know of any other racing 'games' that allow you to save during a session, but I do wish you could add this, I'm sure it would get loads more people into the enjoyment of endurance.

There are a few games. The officially licensed LM24 game from years ago allowed saving in endurance race sessions. It's a hotly requested feature and I'm sure if it will be possible to add it, it will be added. It may not though, because Project Cars is an extremely complex simulation, and few complex simulations have this feature and it's mainly because that's a lot of data to save and that data saving process is really difficult. One mess up, and when you load your save you're inside of a flying tree or something.

Edit: I understand the chronic pain I'm also physically disabled and have chronic pain issues.

Kingdeuce86
16-10-2015, 17:43
Gran Turismo had it in 5, and I'm assuming 6 as well although I never played it. That is a complex game that was able to incorporate the feature, however, when I tried running a 24hr Le Mans race on GT5 with in-game saves, there were issues with inconsistent AI lap times just after loading. That might have been a one-off or part of a bigger problem.

Perhaps there are simply too many variables to be able to introduce a stable and reliable mid-race save feature. The realistic concept of 'not going to the pub' after a few hours may well have an impact as well, but every video game worth its salt needs to strike the right balance between realism and enhancing the gamers' experience, and in my personal opinion, allowing mid-race saves for endurance races (assuming it is technically possible vis a vis my point above) would be of a significant enough benefit without spoiling the realistic aspects of the game.

tclancey
16-10-2015, 17:56
I'm sorry to hear that Shinzah, horrible innit?!

I definitely think enough people have asked for it to make it a valuable addition. I do understand the variable issues, but it shouldn't be that difficult, as so many things are dynamic it should be possible to save a snap shot and have the game pick up again at the same place.

I'll take a look at it if you like?

Shinzah
16-10-2015, 18:13
I'm sorry to hear that Shinzah, horrible innit?!

Quite, yes.

I definitely think enough people have asked for it to make it a valuable addition. I do understand the variable issues, but it shouldn't be that difficult, as so many things are dynamic it should be possible to save a snap shot and have the game pick up again at the same place.

I'll take a look at it if you like?

Actually, the issue is more likely the dynamic system and shear volume. A static system is much easier to take a snapshot of, as there are significantly less things to consider. The games dynamic qualities still need to be planned and processed. It doesn't make arbitrary decisions in the code, logic doesn't work that way. With all the things that are going on to run the multiple levels of the complex systems, it would be easy to oversee variables and introduce crippling and destructive bugs to the system.

Plus the snapshot itself could be massive. Even if you were to trim it down to absolute needed variables.

It's not a simple matter of

if;saverace
then;saverace

This would require many, many hours of coding to implement and may not even be possible in this iteration of the madness engine.

tclancey
16-10-2015, 19:11
No, I was being silly to be honest. I'd sooner the problems were sorted out first, but I do hope this gets added to a list as some point in time.

VanquishedVantage
16-10-2015, 23:07
If you leave any computer running in general it creeps lower in performance, especially if it's constantly writing to memory. This isn't an issue with the game besides that it's a complex game that requires a lot of memory. If you run Project Cars in a 32bit mode (PC users, I don't know about the consoles), it probably will suffer less performance degradation but also it'll have a smaller pool of resources. So you'll need to pick your poison. This is related to all games, and you will notice that if you have a substantial enough uptime that after flushing your system with a reboot gaming performance will often improve.

You're right. Life doesn't stop.

Neither does the 24 hours of LeMans because some driver or another had to go to the pub or to work.

And leaving the computer on overnight destroys your power bill.