PDA

View Full Version : Chasing FPS

Slowsley
17-10-2015, 06:56
Ahhh the blessing that is a curse on PC platform gaming: chasing FPS and balancing it verses visual quality.

I feel like I've got a pretty stout PC and I've never been anything but a solid 60 FPS with all ultra and high settings. That is until I hit rain in my career. I had thought that I had tested FPS early on in the game and had settings giving me a solid 60 no matter what, but maybe I didn't have 30 cars on the grid, maybe it wasn't at night, maybe it was a light track. Anyway, now in rain at Sakitto at night, from the start I'm down to around 45-50 FPS with it settling out a bit after half a lap or so. I can adjust things a little and get starts in rain up to 50ish, but not 60.

I spent basically all of my disposable income for about 2 years pretty much centered around pCARS and getting the ultimate experience all the way around, so why stop now I guess, right? Anyway, I'll throw some questions out for all of you techies out there (I am not one):

It sounds like there's not a card out there that by itself will blast through rain starts at 60 FPS regardless of car count. Is that true?
Is there anything that can be/is being done by SMS to ease the burden of rain? (I'm not willing to turn off rain drops)
It sounds like SLI isn't helping either. Is SLI stuff going to try to be improved? I'm getting 80% max gpu usage and 54% max cpu usage when I get frame lags with my single 980.
Would I benefit currently from adding another 980?
Would I be crazy if I replaced a 980 with a 980ti? (I don't have more money than I know what to do with. I am single though as you may guess....not too ugly, but selfish)
What are optimal settings in nVidia control panel?
What can you really turn down in racing and replays and not really notice? I've basically sacrificed everywhere except texture quality. In fact, I've pretty much got everything turned off or on low except that I have car and track detail on high and reflections on medium. I've read that reflections are a killer in the rain, but low is just too low for me. The ferris wheel reflection at Sakitto in the rain is awesome, and "low" reflections turns it off.

(Yes, I know how to use the search feature, and yes, I already know the 2 or 3 people that will ask if I don't specify upfront, but I just want to race again like I used to and stop burning up all of my free time.)

I'll leave off here for now, but I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions about SLI as I read some things and think that I want to go with it and then I'll read that 1 card will always be easier and just better all around than the headache of SLI. I'm quite sure that I'm tired of just PC issues in general (FPS, temps, mods, where do I paste this? hey! where did that go? oops, did I delete that?....you know our time killers on PC)

nhitrac
17-10-2015, 07:09
Question: is it making your racing experience any worse? If not just turn off the counter and have fun :-)

Slowsley
17-10-2015, 07:15
Question: is it making your racing experience any worse? If not just turn off the counter and have fun :-)

I know you're point, and that was exactly my approach until it actually did. I run on a tv in 60hz and dropping from 60 even to 50 coming into a corner definitely affects the racing quality and my ability.

balderz002
17-10-2015, 07:21
I wish I had your predicament! Good luck with a resolution!

Slowsley
17-10-2015, 07:26
I wish I had your predicament! Good luck with a resolution!

Thanks man. There are trade offs to everything in life. You look for what makes you happy and understand that you can't have it all.

Slowsley
17-10-2015, 07:28
Thanks man. There are trade offs to everything in life. You look for what makes you happy and understand that you can't have it all.

Crap, did I just answer my own question? Hope not...

LamboMantisMan23
17-10-2015, 12:10
Never gone below 60 fps with my MSI 980 on ultra in every settings

Tastakrad
17-10-2015, 12:50
If you have trouble in the rain or heavy clouding then reduce the Envoirment Map to low. That helped alot. I am using a MSI 980 and an Intel I7-4790k.

Shadowoff
17-10-2015, 15:06
I have frame drops on some tracks as well:
-In Spa after the Eau Rouge
-Circuit Du 24 Heures on the straight my fps are sometimes 30 (i normally have 80)
-Nordschleife in Pflanzgarten

Its everytime on the part of the track where I have these framedrops

VanquishedVantage
17-10-2015, 15:17
The only frame drops I have are when I'm on a straight, and that's like a 5 frame drop.
Other than that, 100 FPS average and it's buttery smooth. (atleast on my old PC with an i7-3770K and a 960).
With my upcoming 970 and my i5-6600K I would expect around 120-150 FPS on ultra.

Montana.BE
17-10-2015, 15:39
I know you're point, and that was exactly my approach until it actually did. I run on a tv in 60hz and dropping from 60 even to 50 coming into a corner definitely affects the racing quality and my ability.

FPS changing is bad for the experience, I think you're way better of setting it to 50, then to let it go from 50 to 60

Michael Moe
17-10-2015, 20:36
I have a 4770K@4.7 and SLI GTX970SC from EVGA.

AI cars can go up to 55 on lemans and it is a common sli issue that more AI is hurting SLI.

But i have good performance. Enviroment map one notch back and low blur and grass.

I see 60-85% on both cards in 1920x1200. with MSAA.

Try the start at imola with 30 cars in rain at todays date at 18:00 and 24:00 and placed back and report your fps.

Ultra on everything else.

Updated

Fps is as low as 45 during the start and shortly after around 55 in the first corner SLI is actually not doing anything here. 40-50% on each card. When it gets down to 2-10 cars it jumbs up to 70% on both cards. Max fps around the track is 87 fps

Michael Moe