PDA

View Full Version : What are the benefits of a race series affiliation?

balderz002
18-10-2015, 08:16
As per the title. What are the benefits getting affiliation with a race series? Like Forza, when they got cuddly with the ALMS, what does that bring? Tracks? cars? The use of their name? I take it, you would still have to negotiate with the car makers over their products, but does it make it easier to get them? Or is it just a sales gimmick?

TheReaper GT
18-10-2015, 08:20
Some series detain the advertising rights for all participants, meaning the series have a say in any media appearance. The big advantage gained from a series contract is a bridge between developers and teams. The makers license is necessary anyway, since they have all rights for car designs.
On paper is all cool, but apart from Race Room Experience and Toca back in the day, I never saw a good series implementation coming from said contracts. Forza is a joke in that aspect, mixing road cars with race cars and even mixing up different types, like prototypes and indy in the same race.
I really hope Project Cars can bring us some complete series or maybe the ability to create a custom multiclass championship.

Azure Flare
18-10-2015, 08:26
Polyphony Digital has shown it doesn't mean anything at all. Window banners are on cars that race in VLN and D1GP, but you never see hardly any of them appearing in Gran Turismo unless the badge on the car says Nissan on it.

PD also went on about having licensing for Super GT (even though GT500 and GT300 cars have appeared in the series since GT2), NASCAR, and WRC for GT5 that came up to nothing more than a few cars and a couple of tracks.

In the case of Forza, it seemed like it was cars with liveries since you could just change the livery at your discretion.

I think it's just marketing.

balderz002
18-10-2015, 12:05
Shame it doesn't mean more.