PDA

View Full Version : Cars drive slow even at full throttle. But why?

Kludermor
18-10-2015, 21:54
My friend just bought Project Cars today and we went in an online session together just the two of us.

But even though he completely depresses the throttle the cars drives much slower than mine.

We tested the BMW M3 E30 Group A and Sauber C9 in the same setup on Spa circuit. I could pull away in few seconds and leave him behind by hundreds of meters during the first straight.
He checked the throttle and break input, and the green throttle bar went green all the way up to 100% and no breaking input.
He disconnected his Microsoft Sidewinder wheel and tried with keyboard controls. But we had the same result. No speed at all compared to me.

There was a little bit of lag showing with his cars stuttering a little bit sometimes when he was hosting the session. When I was hosting over my phone connection there was some more lag, but still less than I have seen on some youtube multiplayer sessions. In session browser we show up with a green ping connection.

He does not see stuttering in general, the cars just feels slow. (and is very slow compared to my car in the same setup)

His PC is a little outdated. He runs Win7 64 bit, Asus A8N32 SLI deluxe MB with CPU Athlon 64 x2 4800+
Not sure of the amount of ram but more than 4Gb.
GPU is in the Geforce 570 series.

What could be the problem?

Umer Ahmad
18-10-2015, 22:03
Tell him to turn down ALL visual details and reboot computer.

DETAILED GRASS = OFF
AA = NONE/OFF

His CPU might be below minimum spec. What is his FPS? He can check it with any free software like MSI Afterburner or DXtory or FRAPS (google them)

Seelenkrank
18-10-2015, 22:08
"a little outdatet" funny description of a museum like peace of hardware....

Umer Ahmad
18-10-2015, 22:13
Yeah it's 2015 (almost 2016), no one should be using Athlon anymore, especially for high end games like project cars. At least move up to the phenomII or thuban.

Kludermor
18-10-2015, 22:22
Tell him to turn down ALL visual details and reboot computer.

DETAILED GRASS = OFF
AA = NONE/OFF

His CPU might be below minimum spec. What is his FPS? He can check it with any free software like MSI Afterburner or DXtory or FRAPS (google them)

Thanks. I will tell him tomorrow.
And have him test with fraps. The cpu is below min specs but gpu is not.

Umer Ahmad
18-10-2015, 22:26
I use SLI 580 and even that does NOT get 60fps all the time. Not sure how a single 570 can do with an underpowered CPU "feeding" the gpu.

Kludermor
18-10-2015, 22:29
"a little outdatet" funny description of a museum like peace of hardware....

It's my former pc 3-4 upgrades ago. We used it for race07 with no problem and project cars loaded just fine and he found the game to run smoothly although with slow going cars.

And I can't speak badly about my old PC. It's still a member of the master race. Right? :)

Kludermor
18-10-2015, 22:34
I use SLI 580 and even that does NOT get 60fps all the time. Not sure how a single 570 can do with an underpowered CPU "feeding" the gpu.

Oh and he runs the game on a monitor which is also a "little outdated" ;) 17" in 1280 x 1024. So the pixel count is not that high in each frame.

Mad Al
19-10-2015, 09:37
Thanks. I will tell him tomorrow.
And have him test with fraps. The cpu is below min specs but gpu is not.

I'd say "below min specs" is a major understatement.. the physics calculations really require a quad core (some people are just about getting away with triple core).. and although they can scale, there are limits (and if it's taking too long to do the physics loop, the car will appear to go slower.. even though it will say it's going the "correct" speed).. the 4800+ has about 1/3 the grunt of the min spec X4 940. During development I had a Q6600 and that sometimes struggled even running solo.

If you pull up task manager and look at the CPU performance, it'll be pegged at a solid 100%.. basically all you can do to improve things is get a better CPU (and that'll mean motherboard and memory too.. as I don't think you'll get a much better CPU in the A8N, as it's a 939 board)

Mascot
19-10-2015, 10:12
It's my former pc 3-4 upgrades ago. We used it for race07 with no problem and project cars loaded just fine and he found the game to run smoothly although with slow going cars.

And I can't speak badly about my old PC. It's still a member of the master race. Right? :)

My jurassic laptop runs Race '07 at 60fps.

Race '07.

'07

;)

Kludermor
19-10-2015, 11:02
Damn! Ok maybe we will have to give up on the old PC. (And go back to race07. 07 as in 2007. An 8 year old game. I know ;) )

When comparing the minimum spec X4 940 vs Athlon 64 x2 4800+ the former came out a little bit on top in overall performance. But not that much. Task manager and fraps can tell him if it is the cpu working to hard.
I know the frequency and core count is better on x4 940.

We had hoped that we could play without doing further investment in hardware. Damn again.

I will report back, but it sounds like the CPU is the issue.
Thanks for all help so far :)

DiabloSandwich
19-10-2015, 18:48
What control method are you using?

I sometimes have to boot the steering wheel settings/properties before i boot the game,or my throttle doesnt open fully.

If you turn the telemetry on,does the green bar go all the way to the top when you open the throttle fully?

Seelenkrank
19-10-2015, 20:39
What control method are you using?

I sometimes have to boot the steering wheel settings/properties before i boot the game,or my throttle doesnt open fully.

If you turn the telemetry on,does the green bar go all the way to the top when you open the throttle fully?

did you read his CPU specs, its methusalem...
his CPU cant decide if its serving first data for the GPU or does the physics stuff...

MISTER WU
19-10-2015, 22:31
I cannot under stand how someone would pay this much for a game with such a small monitor and slow PC specs, i dont want to jump the gun but it sounds like someone is using a cracked copy of the game.
Someone was asking a very similar question on steam a while ago and they didnt even own the game!

Kludermor
20-10-2015, 06:50
I cannot under stand how someone would pay this much for a game with such a small monitor and slow PC specs, i dont want to jump the gun but it sounds like someone is using a cracked copy of the game.
Someone was asking a very similar question on steam a while ago and they didnt even own the game!

You are wrong. The game was for sale at humble bundle for 30€.
I gave my friend my old PC free of charge. So far he have only had to spent 30€ on the game and 0€ on hardware to test wether we could play together in multiplayer or not.
The best thing we could have done was to give him access to my steam folder, which is completely legal, and test the games before paying.

I will give him access to my steam library, so he can test Assetto corsa before we try that out in multiplayer. The minimum specs for AC is just below the old hardware he is using.

We had hoped to play project cars and not Assetto Corsa or Race07, because of the many tracks, cars, weather and night/day cycle only found in Project Cars.

MISTER WU
20-10-2015, 08:00
what settings in game is he running like AA, SMAA texture filtering.
Im sure you could still run it with a lot of things turned down and it would still look half decent mate.

Kludermor
20-10-2015, 21:49
what settings in game is he running like AA, SMAA texture filtering.
Im sure you could still run it with a lot of things turned down and it would still look half decent mate.

Thanks.
He did not have time to launch the game tonight. But I will tell him to turn all settings off or low. And then benchmark with fraps and tjeck cpu usage in task manager next time.

Seelenkrank
20-10-2015, 22:08
i bet 100%.......

MISTER WU
21-10-2015, 05:50
Dont use FRAPS mate as it will only put more strain on an alreadfy struggling system, use the steam over lay if anything but to test just leave any over lays off.

John Hargreaves
22-10-2015, 07:01
Try your mate out with F1 2010-11, Grid, Dirt, those kind of games, they should be a lot less demanding. PCars is a bit too new and demanding maybe, but he can still have some four wheeled fun.

Kludermor
25-10-2015, 08:45
Thanks for all the input.

We did some testing yesterday. When running project cars, the CPU go up to 100% even in the menus. So project cars is an abandoned project from now on.

Then we tested Assetto Corsa. When lowering all settings and not running more than 7-8 AI cars the frame rate was around 30 fps. CPU in game measuring with the app, says around 40% use. Task manager tells the CPU is at about 95%.
AC is playable and will have to do. Fewer cars and tracks but great physics and FFB.

My friend will think about an upgrade in hardware, but it looks like it will be expensive.
Any recommendations on a CPU and GPU that will run the game in the midrange settings in 1920 x 1080?

poirqc
25-10-2015, 10:09
GTX 950 or 960 give great results.

Mad Al
25-10-2015, 11:36
Thanks for all the input.

We did some testing yesterday. When running project cars, the CPU go up to 100% even in the menus. So project cars is an abandoned project from now on.

Then we tested Assetto Corsa. When lowering all settings and not running more than 7-8 AI cars the frame rate was around 30 fps. CPU in game measuring with the app, says around 40% use. Task manager tells the CPU is at about 95%.
AC is playable and will have to do. Fewer cars and tracks but great physics and FFB.

My friend will think about an upgrade in hardware, but it looks like it will be expensive.
Any recommendations on a CPU and GPU that will run the game in the midrange settings in 1920 x 1080?

well as the Min requirements for AC are indeed an Athlon X2, I'd hope it would...

As for a recommendation for a relatively cheap upgrade.. a top line 4th gen i3 (4170) has more overall processing power than your 920... so you don't need to look at top end stuff (I've run 55 AI in the rain at Le Mans with my slowest machine), cheap H81 motherboard + memory
It's also possible to find some very cheap server CPUs on ebay (generally finding the motherboards for sensible prices is more difficult), something like the X5550/5570 often come up for 20
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=834&cmp[]=2522&cmp[]=1300 just to compare on a synthetic benchmark
The six core AMD FX6 6300 also looks like good value (just watch the turbo core issues with is causing odd slow downs on some FX equipped PCs)

GPU wise.. the 570 will hack it for a while longer (although if you don't want a room heater, a 750Ti is pretty close to the 570 and uses about a 1/4 the electricity... I managed to pick up one for 77 brand new off ebay)

At the moment it's definitely the CPU that's holding things back, so personally I'd sort that first (I went from a X4 955 to a i7 4770K using a 570 whilst waiting for the Maxwell GPUs to release..)

Kludermor
26-10-2015, 14:57
OK thank you all again

We/he will look at the i3 and consider if the price is affordable.

GPU can wait.

:)

offon
09-11-2015, 11:13
Unlike the topic starter, in my case the system is not a weak CPU i5 2500k, GPU NV GTX 770, 8 RAM.
This problem in the multi-player actually exists and it is not only different straight line speed, but corner speed. The car just doesn't want to hold on to the track;spin around , slips and poorly managed , the weight distribution is fundamentally different from offline.
I also noticed when such symptoms cars behavior and weaker FFB effects are not so detailed.
Sin on the network code of the game or setup a dedicated server.
It sounds to me like the ping, which is equalized among the server clients by server itself or the network code of the game.
I apologize for English.