PDA

View Full Version : some tracks have taken big FPS hits

TopAirspace
20-10-2015, 13:57
I've just made a return to Project Cars from a bit of a break and have noticed that since patch 4.0 some tracks have taken Large FPS hits in certian areas, especially at sunset or sunrise, Spa in particular seems to be one of the worst affected, with 21ai set to dusk (say 8pm during June) alot of areas on the track take really significant hits, the straight leading upto eruge is by far the worst with things getting very choppy. Ive even noticed some area's of Spa taking hits with only 1 car on track, Has anyone else noticed this?
Also during weather transitions on all tracks things seem get very choppy too, as an example during dry conditions everything runs smoothly then as it transitions into rain the frame rate becomes unstable until the rain phase sets in then the frame rate stabilizes again, then as the rain transitions back to sunshine again there are instability issues intil the phase is complete.

Im certainly not complaining, just interested to see if anyone else has noticed this aswell?

beetes_juice
20-10-2015, 14:07
If your just coming back to the game and have just updated make sure to do a hard reset of the console after the update. For myself, its been smooth sailing with regards to frame rates for a few months now.

TopAirspace
20-10-2015, 14:22
Thanks for the feedback! Though i actually did a hard reset, do you think you could try running Spa at 8pm in June (dusk) with atleast 21ai and see you experience any FPS drops? I'm just curious because it was quite terrible for me tbh, i generally use GT3 class.
Some parts of the track were ok but some parts are quite bad

KkDrummer
20-10-2015, 15:15
Yeah...I hear you...Spa is a bit of a problem for me too....just before reaching the start/finish line I get frame rate drops. Turn 5 (counting from the finish line in-game no real life) has always fr drops. I've tried it with only 20 cars and clear weather, but the drops are always there.

Raven403
20-10-2015, 15:23
Gotta say, anything more than say 15 or so cars you'll probably get some FPS hits. 21 shouldnt be terrible tho, I will run some laps and check it out, but Ive run 20 LMP1 cars there and it was ok

TopAirspace
21-10-2015, 03:03
Mods ive done a few tests and most tracks are great FPS wise, though a few are talking some big hits, Le Circuit Bugatti is really suffering and is definitely in need of a fix as frame rates are very poor for the majority of the track, the other tracks that take dips are the LeMans 24hr course, Spa, Hockenheim and Dubai,

Test was with 21ai between 7 and 8pm june, (dusk)
Is it possible to sticky this? Particularly Le Bugatti as it is really quite bad,
Thanks!

STEELJOCKEY
21-10-2015, 03:54
Should improve when NXOE drops for everyone next month, I've certainly seen an improvement with this and in the sound department too

KkDrummer
21-10-2015, 09:03
Mods ive done a few tests and most tracks are great FPS wise, though a few are talking some big hits, Le Circuit Bugatti is really suffering and is definitely in need of a fix as frame rates are very poor for the majority of the track, the other tracks that take dips are the LeMans 24hr course, Spa, Hockenheim and Dubai,

Test was with 21ai between 7 and 8pm june, (dusk)
Is it possible to sticky this? Particularly Le Bugatti as it is really quite bad,
Thanks!

Nice one...I did a few tests in Spa in clear weather yesterday...anything above 15AI will cause the frame rate to drop on the finish line straight and at turn 5 (counting from the finish line in-game not real life). Turn 5 is always a bit cranky, even with 5AI. I hardware reset my console and made sure no other apps were running on the back ground. Console notifications were disabled as well.

TopAirspace
22-10-2015, 01:18
Mods some input would be nice,
The LeMans 24hr course and Le Bugatti are virtually undriveable at the moment during twilight,
30 cars can be driven at Nordschleife with a solid 60fps where as 21 cars brings Le Bugatti to a crawl, easily sub 30fps.

Thanks!

nissan4ever
22-10-2015, 05:23
Mods some input would be nice,
The LeMans 24hr course and Le Bugatti are virtually undriveable at the moment during twilight,
30 cars can be driven at Nordschleife with a solid 60fps where as 21 cars brings Le Bugatti to a crawl, easily sub 30fps.

Thanks!

I'm curious. How do you know for sure that The Ring was a solid 60fps with a 30 car grid? Typically on Project CARS, running grids of 30 or higher has the on screen action slow down. This is due to your complicated physics calculations & the 30+ simplified AI tire physics model. This doesn't mean the action on screen isn't smooth. It's just not moving as fast as it would with let's say a 16 car grid. However the lap timer is still running at correct speed. Therefore you end up with slower lap times. Even if you hit all your marks & ran a great lap.

Basically what I'm saying is your lap time at the ring by yourself would be faster than times you can put down with a 30 car grid. Even with you in first place, running great lines all lap.

TopAirspace
22-10-2015, 07:39
I'm curious. How do you know for sure that The Ring was a solid 60fps with a 30 car grid? Typically on Project CARS, running grids of 30 or higher has the on screen action slow down. This is due to your complicated physics calculations & the 30+ simplified AI tire physics model. This doesn't mean the action on screen isn't smooth. It's just not moving as fast as it would with let's say a 16 car grid. However the lap timer is still running at correct speed. Therefore you end up with slower lap times. Even if you hit all your marks & ran a great lap.

Basically what I'm saying is your lap time at the ring by yourself would be faster than times you can put down with a 30 car grid. Even with you in first place, running great lines all lap.

Thats the thing, some tracks are able to run 30 cars no problems, without any time dilation at all, then others have issues at certain parts of the track and some can't even handle 20 cars, Le Bugatti as an example.
Oddly the Nordschleife can run 30 cars absolutely perfectly (try it)
You would think the Nordschleife would be one of the most demanding circuits and Le Bugatti would be the least demanding??
If they can get the Nordschleife to run perfectly then surely its just optimisation issues with some of the other circuits?

TopAirspace
22-10-2015, 07:45
I remember in the beginning Oulton Park had terrible performance but they optimised it to run perfect,

KkDrummer
22-10-2015, 09:27
I remember in the beginning Oulton Park had terrible performance but they optimised it to run perfect,

this! I was thinking about that yesterday...when the game first came out Oulton Park was a pain to drive at! SMS did a great job optmising it, so a bit more optimisation should fix LeMans 24hr course, Spa, Hockenheim, Dubai and Sakytto...man Sakyto is an amazing track but frame rate is pretty bad in any weather....if necessary, just remove the ferry wheel lol

TopAirspace
22-10-2015, 10:13
Where is that darn Wookiee?
I need his imput on this, and also i need to know the reason why a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk would want to live on Endor with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense....

TopAirspace
23-10-2015, 10:44
Again, could a mod or dev please provide some feedback on the mentioned tracks regarding performance?
Thanks!

wOoDsTeR16
23-10-2015, 11:00
I put this in the patch thread last night and its only been after the patch

I have been doing some laps on Nurburgring GP today in the LMP1 P30, before and after the patch. (Yes I have done a hard reset)

Before the patch the game all but the sound issue was running fine but I was in TT. After the patch I did some more TT and in the 3rd sector there is some frame drop, then I went onto race weekend and did 30 laps with 7 AI's on 100% and that frame drop is still there.

flymar
23-10-2015, 11:29
Question - do you have Enhanced mirror in the console version? (Visuals menu)
If yes, is it turned on?
If yes, please try with turned off.

Bealdor
23-10-2015, 11:30
Question - do you have Enhanced mirror in the console version? (Visuals menu)
If yes, is it turned on?
If yes, please try with turned off.

No, that's PC only.

KkDrummer
23-10-2015, 11:38
hey Top...Did you run any tests on 5.0? I didn;t have the time yesterday....

wOoDsTeR16
23-10-2015, 12:09
And yet again the sound bug kicks in and crashes me back to race central, also on Nurburgring GP. I started a post 2 weeks ago about this but people didn't seem to thing that the game crashing when the sound bug kicked in we're related, I'm no Dev or code writer but if I had a large some of money I would bet it all that it was connected. If needed I have it on Video again

flymar
23-10-2015, 13:22
No, that's PC only.

Ah, sorry, didn't know that.

TopAirspace
23-10-2015, 13:48
Ok everyone now that Patch 5.0 is out I've done some tests on a few of the more problematic circuits, Circuits tested were Le Bugatti, Spa, Hockenheim and Du Man's 24hr,
I tested with 21ai (22 cars total) starting in last position at both 15:00pm and 19:00pm (Twilight) during June.
My finding are that all of these tracks do have perfomace issues in the following area's.

Le Bugatti.
The righthand hairpin after the Dunlop bridge (Le Chappelle) there is a noticeable framerate reduction, this continues through to the next lefthander and some of the way down the following straight. The back straight also suffers from a reduced framerate along with some tearing, the first 50m of the main straight also takes a decent hit. These issues are compounded during the twilight hours.

Hockenheim.
Hockenheim faired quite well during the 15:00 hours with only some small slowdown just after the turn 6 Hairpin, (The framerate dropped through the flatout righthand turn 7 and continued into turn 8) (I believe turn 8 is called Mercedes for reference) the frame reduction is very minor though, However during the twilight hours the reduction is significant and very noticeable, There is also quite alot of slowdown right the way through the very long lefthand turn 5 (Parabolika) during twilight.

Spa.
The main area of concern here is really just the main Start / Finish straight, there really is a significant framerate reduction there, Also a small amount of stutter through turn 6 (Bruxelles) and also some stutter through the final chacane (turn 19 and 20) again the issues are compounded during twilight.

Du Man's 24hr.
Here there are very noticeable framerate reductions down the entire first half of the Mulsanne Straight up until the first hairpin, then it is smooth sailing right the way through to the Porsche Curves. From here all the way to the start finish line then suffers low framerates, again the problem compounds during twilight hours.

The plus side is the majority of the remaing circuits seem to perform very well under pretty much all circumstances with 24+ cars, in some cases 30 is fine!

If anyone else knows of a few circuits with trouble spots please leave a bit of a detailed explanation here, I'm sure the Devs will take note as they have done brilliant work on problematic circuits in the past!

Thanks!

TopAirspace
23-10-2015, 14:02
And yet again the sound bug kicks in and crashes me back to race central, also on Nurburgring GP. I started a post 2 weeks ago about this but people didn't seem to thing that the game crashing when the sound bug kicked in we're related, I'm no Dev or code writer but if I had a large some of money I would bet it all that it was connected. If needed I have it on Video again

I've never actually had this issue,
I run my Xbox in Power-Save mode and generally do a hard restart before playing this game. if that helps you?

wOoDsTeR16
23-10-2015, 14:31
I've never actually had this issue,
I run my Xbox in Power-Save mode and generally do a hard restart before playing this game. if that helps you?

I have tried it all fella, I have just done a post with a video of this crap, proper had enough of it.

https://youtu.be/GP8y8iyPjXo

Raven403
23-10-2015, 14:34
I have tried it all fella, I have just done a post with a video of this crap, proper had enough of it.

Yeah that's crazy, this is online correct?

wOoDsTeR16
23-10-2015, 14:40
Yeah that's crazy, this is online correct?

No, race weekend mate, Im sooooooooooooooooooooooo should I say cheesed off so I don't get banned?, 6 months and still that crap bites me in the.......... every friggin league track

Bealdor
23-10-2015, 15:01

Does this also happen when your XBOX is disconnected from the network?

wOoDsTeR16
23-10-2015, 15:10

When you say Network do you mean xbox live or a home network?. My xbox is hard wired straight from the modem and my xbox is always connected to XBL

Raven403
23-10-2015, 15:14
When you say Network do you mean xbox live or a home network?. My xbox is hard wired straight from the modem and my xbox is always connected to XBL

Pretty sure he means XBL. Try running Pcars without ethernet or WIfi connected, totally offline and see what happens, i believe is what hes getting at

Only time I ever get a jump like that is when someone is joining a MP event. As i said before I get the Audio bug but it doesnt slow or bug out like that.....really odd. Only thing different between us is the external HDD, and I dont use a line, Could the line be the little bit of extra processing that screws it up I wonder

wOoDsTeR16
23-10-2015, 15:19
Pretty sure he means XBL. Try running Pcars without ethernet or WIfi connected, totally offline and see what happens, i believe is what hes getting at

Ok I will give it a go but "And this is not a dig at you in anyway Raven!" what good is that gonna do, I can't race in a league if I'm off line

wOoDsTeR16
23-10-2015, 17:07

Mate, see my reply in the post I started about this problem

TopAirspace
27-10-2015, 15:00
Ok everyone now that Patch 5.0 is out I've done some tests on a few of the more problematic circuits, Circuits tested were Le Bugatti, Spa, Hockenheim and Du Man's 24hr,
I tested with 21ai (22 cars total) starting in last position at both 15:00pm and 19:00pm (Twilight) during June.
My finding are that all of these tracks do have perfomace issues in the following area's.

Le Bugatti.
The righthand hairpin after the Dunlop bridge (Le Chappelle) there is a noticeable framerate reduction, this continues through to the next lefthander and some of the way down the following straight. The back straight also suffers from a reduced framerate along with some tearing, the first 50m of the main straight also takes a decent hit. These issues are compounded during the twilight hours.

Hockenheim.
Hockenheim faired quite well during the 15:00 hours with only some small slowdown just after the turn 6 Hairpin, (The framerate dropped through the flatout righthand turn 7 and continued into turn 8) (I believe turn 8 is called Mercedes for reference) the frame reduction is very minor though, However during the twilight hours the reduction is significant and very noticeable, There is also quite alot of slowdown right the way through the very long lefthand turn 5 (Parabolika) during twilight.

Spa.
The main area of concern here is really just the main Start / Finish straight, there really is a significant framerate reduction there, Also a small amount of stutter through turn 6 (Bruxelles) and also some stutter through the final chacane (turn 19 and 20) again the issues are compounded during twilight.

Du Man's 24hr.
Here there are very noticeable framerate reductions down the entire first half of the Mulsanne Straight up until the first hairpin, then it is smooth sailing right the way through to the Porsche Curves. From here all the way to the start finish line then suffers low framerates, again the problem compounds during twilight hours.

The plus side is the majority of the remaing circuits seem to perform very well under pretty much all circumstances with 24+ cars, in some cases 30 is fine!

If anyone else knows of a few circuits with trouble spots please leave a bit of a detailed explanation here, I'm sure the Devs will take note as they have done brilliant work on problematic circuits in the past!

Thanks!

Any word on whether this information is of any use?
Or at the very least appreciated? Lol

KkDrummer
27-10-2015, 15:34
Any word on whether this information is of any use?
Or at the very least appreciated? Lol

Your list is pretty spot on. I will test Sakito at some point and report back....

I am a bit curious to hear from people testing the new dashboard...apparently it improves PCars performance a lot, online and sound issue, so I was wondering if it helps with fps as well.....

Fractured Life
27-10-2015, 16:45
Your list is pretty spot on. I will test Sakito at some point and report back....

I am a bit curious to hear from people testing the new dashboard...apparently it improves PCars performance a lot, online and sound issue, so I was wondering if it helps with fps as well.....

Ran a 24 car grid in the gt3's, no time progression, weather overcast. Bus-stop chicane i notice a drop but my eyes are too old for this. I can't always tell. Occasionally when the racing is getting heated I'll feel like there is a drop but it passes quickly so I couldn't honestly say it was any particular Turn, except for the bus stop chicane, I notice the Krebs there jerking around so I can remember the drop there.

I notice on spa all the barriers "flicker" like they are changing colour or shadow or something. Maybe due to it being overcast...

I'll try a big grid at Le mans later