PDA

View Full Version : Another Race ruined by rain.

Dominator52
23-10-2015, 18:38
I'm getting real tired of this SMS.

Almost every time it rains, my car goes out of control regardless of what I do and it causes me to lose.

poirqc
23-10-2015, 18:46
I don't want to sound rude, really, but have you ran on a wet track with slicks?

It's even worst than shoes on ice!

The Mitsubishi Lancer in rain with wet tire is awesome to drive!

Cholton82
23-10-2015, 18:46
Maybe you just run out of talent :applouse:

Krus Control
23-10-2015, 18:48
hahahahahahahahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHA

Roger Prynne
23-10-2015, 18:51
Do you pit and put on wets when it rains?

And enough of the silly comments guys.

poirqc
23-10-2015, 18:58
The last time i drove a kart while i rained alot was REALLY slippery!

The Lancer with wet tires IS fun to drive when it rains!

There's no silly comments here! :D

Have a nice week end guys!
Cheers!

3800racingfool
23-10-2015, 20:15

Almost every time it rains, my car goes out of control regardless of what I do and it causes me to lose.

Here's what you do:

1. Go to Free Practice
2. Pick your favorite track
3. Set the weather to Light Rain
4. Set up your car to use slicks (if applicable)
5. Drive laps. A lot of laps.
6. When you can competently get around the track without fear of crashing change the weather from Light Rain to Rain and repeat steps 4 and 5.
7. When you can competently get around the track using Rain then change to a different track/car/etc and repeat steps 4-6.

Practice makes a huge difference in the rain. It really feels like hell at first but gradually you'll get more and more comfortable and that's when you'll start to get faster in the rain.

Also, when you're actually racing and it starts to rain, pit for rain tires because driving on slicks in the rain is silly. :P

Krus Control
23-10-2015, 20:39
I'll give some real feedback I feel bad. I do mostly rain racing. I set 4 weather slots to storm, rain, thunderstorm, light rain at 30x weather progression. In real life the rain fluctuates like this and will be different at different points on track, at least at a big track like spa or le mans. Rain racing is very tough and dry racing won't really prepare you for the rain. But if you do rain racing you will get better in the dry significantly. So I do as much rain racing as possible. It makes a huge difference, even in real life I find myself booming with confidence and more able to control my car. Even for me still if I'm driving on slicks in the rain it's a miracle if I make it one lap. The radicals are particularly bad in the rain on slicks. But in something like the 1M coupe it's still totally drivable on slicks though very difficult. You know it would help to give you feedback if you mentioned which cars you were driving. It would also be much more polite to, instead of blaming SMS for your lack of skill and brains, just post that you're having some trouble in the rain.

ex_
23-10-2015, 21:02
this is accurate, and precisely why people typically don't like to race in the rain. Just because rain sucks to drive on doesn't mean the game is wrong...

some of us like torture, though.... :D

TopAirspace
24-10-2015, 05:40
Here's what you do:

1. Go to Free Practice
2. Pick your favorite track
3. Set the weather to Light Rain
4. Set up your car to use slicks (if applicable). :P

Slicks????

Kunal_Racedriver
24-10-2015, 06:14
I enjoyed racing in career mode as it started to rain. Really liked how gradually the car was getting twitchy only when driving hard and once out of pits with wets, it was derivable in its own way. I hate the typical ice skating behavior commonly associated with sims and I am glad the developers are looking beyond that. Another game(F1 2015) I tried at friend's place was also felt improved on how car is driven in wets. Although never played, but new Forza is also in news for new wet dynamics.

There was an issue of tires not changing to wets even after pitstop, but it was sorted after patch 2, if I recall correctly. Give it some patience and practice and I am sure you'll like it through wipers:encouragement:

AngelBrow
24-10-2015, 06:21
I started LMP euro Masters.

Race 2 of Spa was in wet and I had a blast. I started last, and worked my way up to 8th i think.
the last few laps it went dry, I pitted 1 lap later the most of the AI which was a bad idea, the rain tyres overheated.

Only funny thing is how fast the track dries up after even hours of downpour. Thats the only improvement that I can think of now.

Dresden
24-10-2015, 07:02
Career mode can be difficult in the wet. But it is also fun having a 20 sec lead over second place with 3 laps to go and the rain comes down. Surviving to the end while the AI goes faster than you is a great challenge. The upside is that weather is predictable and you can use the information next time around.

Cheesenium
24-10-2015, 07:48
Rain driving is much tougher than dry racing where I remember Ben Collins did said something along the lines of rain is what separates men and boys in racing. Those who are daring will still floor their pedals in rain(with rain tires of course) while those who arent, they will rather play safe than crash.

I had been playing this game since WMD, it is always challenging for me, even for tracks like Spa that I know the layout well with years of playtime in this game. It is not something that you pick and drive, unfortunately as you need to practise and get better at it.

Kruleworld
24-10-2015, 07:57
I don't want to sound rude, really, but have you ran on a wet track with slicks?
it's worth switching to the telemetry HUD to make sure the game HAS given you wet tires. there's a bug where it sometimes sends you out on slicks.

The Mitsubishi Lancer in rain with wet tire is awesome to drive!
only because the 4wd is a life saver.

Paulo Ribeiro
24-10-2015, 08:31

I assume that when you are racing with rain, you get a wet tires compound and don't try to drive with the same pace as when the tarmac is dry. Right?

Cholton82
24-10-2015, 09:00
Please don't take offence from my first post it was tongue in cheek , generally when racing in the rain make sure your inputs are softer and smoother , so softer on the gas and brakes which in turn makes braking distances longer , smoother inputs with the wheel or pad if that's what you use although I imagine it's harder with a pad .
And remember just because you may be running at the top of the time boards when it's dry doesn't automatically mean you will when it's wet , driving in the wet fast is a different kettle of fish and some people just have deeper pockets of talent ��

poirqc
24-10-2015, 11:19
it's worth switching to the telemetry HUD to make sure the game HAS given you wet tires. there's a bug where it sometimes sends you out on slicks.

only because the 4wd is a life saver.

An overcharged ford econoline in a snow storm is even better! But we don't have that here. :)

3800racingfool
24-10-2015, 14:03
Slicks????

Yes slicks. The idea is to get used to driving the car this way so that, when you're in a race and it starts to rain, you won't be caught with your pants down and crash before you can make it into the pits. Driving on rain tires with most cars is easy, it's the transition from no-rain to rain when you're still on dry tires that gets most people.

Krus Control
24-10-2015, 23:59
I'll second that you should get practice on slicks in the rain. Not as a go to, but just so that you're prepared, so the first time you attempt it isn't in race under high stress, and so you have a perspective on when and why to switch to wets. I'll roll with slicks until what I call tread point, where IRL you can see where the tires treads have parted the film of water. Until this point slicks remain faster in rain. But if you stay on them you could lose 20 sec in a lap...or crash.

RomKnight
25-10-2015, 00:49
Yeah... IRL seems to be a problem to. Just try to watch ELMS last race in Estoril and imagine what the Jota Sport felt like ;)

Zeke Bewlay
25-10-2015, 01:50
Probably also worth mentioning that SMS have listened and made significant tweaks to way AI drive in rain so that they don't just blast past when it starts raining. Some cars and tracks still seem a bit too tricky to beat AI but overall I'm finding it a pretty good contest even at high AI %

321Respawn
25-10-2015, 02:16
Kind of funny how the guy comes on here for a quick rant and then has nothing to say afterwards .

leithnow
25-10-2015, 04:38
He didn't want to say he didn't know he had to pit and change his tires, or that he didn't know that you have to drive a little bit more careful even if you have rain tires.