PDA

View Full Version : Sonoma raceway! What a beauty

Gravit8
23-10-2015, 22:16
The elevation change in this course is insane. It's like a roller coaster ride.
It has not felt this hilly in any other game I have played.
It also seems significantly more up and down vertical than even the nords

Love it,
Is it accurate? cause it seems so much more roller coaster like than I expect from other games. And even this games other terrains.

Anything else in game come close that's real world based?

Schnizz58
23-10-2015, 22:19
It seems pretty accurate to me (disclaimer: I've never driven the IRL Sears Point). Bathurst also has some severe elevation changes.

Spitfire77
23-10-2015, 22:53
I have driven on sears point a few times in real life. At first I could tell it is not exactly right, but since I have not driven on it in a few years and only have driven it on the game I can no longer tell.

In all honesty - I taught the track to some people using Forza 4 with a low quality wheel and pedals. It was close enough they knew where they were going when they got on track (endurance race so switch drivers and they went on track racing).

I understand people like the idea it is real.. but I do not get the fanatics getting upset that maybe it is not quite right.

Either way.. I love racing it in real life or on project cars.

havocc
23-10-2015, 23:01
Still don't know whether is better 100 or 0 world movement with some narrow cockpit cars on such tracks... (helmet cam)

Spitfire77
23-10-2015, 23:16
Still don't know whether is better 100 or 0 world movement with some narrow cockpit cars on such tracks... (helmet cam)

I played with that setting a lot when the game first came out.. I found the mix of 85 world movement and 15 G-force was a good balance for me.

watchumacallit
23-10-2015, 23:46
sorry if this was answered before but what does world movement and g- force do in helment cam?

Hobbs77
23-10-2015, 23:46
I played with that setting a lot when the game first came out.. I found the mix of 85 world movement and 15 G-force was a good balance for me.

The only problem with the WM set above 30 is that you slowly increase the outside World Movement instead of the car. The road and everything outside the car bounces which is just the opposite of what happens in real life. If your trying to replicate what a fix camera looks like then set it above 85. I would like to set it between 2-15 but it's been broken for over 7 months now. The problem with WM settings between 1-85 is that the camera doesn't move at the same pitch as the car and will give you weird camera movements when going up and down hills or over sudden rises and dips.

It's one of the main reasons I hardly play the game. iRacing got it right..so did all the SimBin series....rFactor ect.

havocc
24-10-2015, 00:20

Just found out that 100 world movement is really nasty on bumpy tracks like nos

blacknred81
24-10-2015, 03:49
I have never driven on the track IRL, but went to it for the first time this year for NASCAR and IRL, and walking around it does give you a work out.....

Here are some pics that may show the elevation changes.....

Some footage may help too......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r9AVVcdof4

Motorhead Racer
24-10-2015, 11:39
amazing track! just totally crazy, hate driving and racing on it, but strangely that makes me want to drive it more! The challenge of conquering it and mastering it will nto escape me lol

F2kSel
24-10-2015, 12:14
I love it probably my favourite in pCars only spoiled by overly bright cockpit views in some cars which make it look as if it's been snowing.

drKorf
15-01-2017, 18:18
Sonoma Raceway is less than an hour from my house. I've raced on it a bunch of times in several different cars. It's an amazing track in real life. I'm new to pCARS and I was expecting the track to be an accurate rendition. Sadly, it is not. The elevation is off all over the place and even the width of the track is wrong. I use simulators to help me train, but this is a case where pCARS is unusable for me. I wonder if there's some list of which tracks are laser scanned?

breyzipp
23-01-2017, 11:36
Sonoma Raceway is less than an hour from my house. I've raced on it a bunch of times in several different cars. It's an amazing track in real life. I'm new to pCARS and I was expecting the track to be an accurate rendition. Sadly, it is not. The elevation is off all over the place and even the width of the track is wrong. I use simulators to help me train, but this is a case where pCARS is unusable for me. I wonder if there's some list of which tracks are laser scanned?

All real life circuits in Forza 6 supposed to be laser scanned and Sonoma is in there as well. Of course it's useless as a simulator since it's just a sim-wannabe arcade game. But to get the feel for the track it's worth taking a look.

cluck
23-01-2017, 12:09
Sonoma Raceway is less than an hour from my house. I've raced on it a bunch of times in several different cars. It's an amazing track in real life. I'm new to pCARS and I was expecting the track to be an accurate rendition. Sadly, it is not. The elevation is off all over the place and even the width of the track is wrong. I use simulators to help me train, but this is a case where pCARS is unusable for me. I wonder if there's some list of which tracks are laser scanned?Aside from a few UK circuits (Brands Hatch, Oulton Park, Snetterton and Cadwell Park - inc. all variants of them), every track in Project CARS is 'scratch made' using reference material. As such, there will be some inaccuracies in places. If there are specific examples you can cite, with regards this track, it might be worth listing them - I can't say what tracks are/aren't being included in pCARS2 (and I honestly can't recall if Sonoma is in there - I haven't driven it in a long while in either pCARS1 or 2) but it might help if the devs are aware of specific inaccuracies. There is, of course, no guarantee that anything will be done, should the track be included in pCARS2.

Mahjik
23-01-2017, 12:56
I will say that elevations and width are hard to judge in a sim just from driving. Both will provide different sensations based on your FOV. As for the width, it's best to use vehicle references if possible (i.e. the track allows 3 wide where in real life X photo shows only 2 wide can fit).

During development, may WMD members swore the Bathurst widths were wrong until some members used vehicles photos (sim and RL) to compared.

jobo220
01-02-2017, 02:54
https://youtu.be/CmTOvnRfAJU?t=59s

https://youtu.be/eV1ThDtfDWA

I can't pick our any major differences from these videos (other than the slightly different layouts used).

I would like to see the layout IndyCar currently uses in PC2 (as shown in the video). This shouldn't be too difficult to add as most of the pieces are already there.