PDA

View Full Version : Tap braking technique

TopAirspace
24-10-2015, 04:18
I've noticed that before heavy braking zones after long straights in particular the AI cars (GT3 etc) give the brake pedal a quick tap before the actual braking zone, In real life racing this is generally to re add some lost temp, get the pads seeded against the Pistons and also to re pressurize the pedal for optimal braking effectivness,
Is this what the AI are actually doing? Are these factors even considerd within this sim?
I'm asking because I've started applying this technique and it does indeed seem to result in more effecient braking.

TheReaper GT
24-10-2015, 04:38
I use a controller and this technique to avoid excessive braking pressure. It's very rare to me to apply more than half trigger on braking. A little before my usual braking point I tap the trigger real quick than start small and gradual pressure until I feel the speed is right for that section.

TopAirspace
24-10-2015, 04:57
I use a controller and this technique to avoid excessive braking pressure. It's very rare to me to apply more than half trigger on braking. A little before my usual braking point I tap the trigger real quick than start small and gradual pressure until I feel the speed is right for that section.

Ahh ok so you do it too, I use GT3 95% of the time so i obviously use Traction control and ABS, so with ABS you can really work the pedal very hard, Basically a big tap of pedal before the braking zone also adds quite a bit of additional temperature!

TheReaper GT
24-10-2015, 05:06
Ahh ok so you do it too, I use GT3 95% of the time so i obviously use Traction control and ABS, so with ABS you can really work the pedal very hard, Basically a big tap of pedal before the braking zone also adds quite a bit of additional temperature!

I use gt3 too but I don't use any assists, I just like it better that way now. I know the real life cars have them but I prefer to run without assists so I don't get caught by surprise in some online lobbies. The bright side of it is that I use this technique in almost all the cars, including my three favorites, the Bentley Continental GT3, Zakspeed Capri and Sauber C9.

Gravit8
24-10-2015, 06:53
Generally a Tap or gentle application of breaks sets the cars nose and weight on the cornering wheels nice and early.
More about weight transfer than temps or seeding/seating brakes IMO.
If your breaks aren't hot and ready already. They're not gonna do what they need to anyway.

But what do I know.

TheReaper GT
24-10-2015, 07:18
Generally a Tap or gentle application of breaks sets the cars nose and weight on the cornering wheels nice and early.
If your breaks aren't hot and ready already. They're not gonna do what they need to anyway.

But what do I know.
Yep, that's my reason to do it, to avoid excessive weight transfer and brake lock...

TopAirspace
24-10-2015, 10:41

But what do I know.

We are talking about two different things here,

And no one is questioning what you know as far as i can tell?

Umer Ahmad
24-10-2015, 11:10
I've noticed that before heavy braking zones after long straights in particular the AI cars (GT3 etc) give the brake pedal a quick tap before the actual braking zone, In real life racing this is generally to re add some lost temp, get the pads seeded against the Pistons and also to re pressurize the pedal for optimal braking effectivness,
Is this what the AI are actually doing? Are these factors even considerd within this sim?
I'm asking because I've started applying this technique and it does indeed seem to result in more effecient braking.

For the player car definitely it is a technique that you can use to some benefit.

For the AI, no. They are not warming up the brakes etc. Probably what is happening is that their algorithm is telling them to slow down for the corner so they begin their "braking sequence" which is a bit more digital than how we humans drive. That's what you're seeing, the algorithm in action. In previous iterations of the AI code this behavior was even more pronounced and you could see the AI brake lights on/off a lot more (almost "flickering") during the entire cornering episode. It was too unnatural and was heavily smoothed and you have now the final result.