PDA

View Full Version : Requesting tips for Formula Rookie

JG_Fan24
24-10-2015, 13:33
So after quite the search, I couldn't find anything. If I missed something, I'd be grateful if you just linked me to the thread(s).

I'm looking for general tips. I started in Formula Rookie because I couldn't handle the karts. I'm starting to learn how the car handles, how and when to brake, etc.

Also, I would appreciate if anyone had any tips on Watkins Glen, being that my first race is going to be there in career mode.

Thank you in advance

Lewis Puppy
24-10-2015, 14:01
Go try 3 free months of iRacing and complete a season of driving the Skip Barber Formula 2000. That will give you all you need to know to drive these cars.

Schnizz58
24-10-2015, 15:15
FR cars don't accelerate well so try to keep your momentum up the best you can. They're not good on stop & go tracks but for flowing tracks like Watkins Glen they're super fun despite the lack of power. Also when going through a turn, because they lack power, you can get back on the gas earlier without fear of spinning out. Pay attention to your line, try to open up the corners as much as you can and early on the gas - even before the apex in a lot of places.

I don't have a lot to offer on the Glen. I love the track but have only raced there in the game a few times. Your line through the bus stop chicane (Inner Loop) is critical. I don't know what the line would be in a Rookie but I do know it's important so in your practice sessions give that section a lot of attention. Also in FR you're probably not doing the full GP layout but if you are, The Chute -- the turn that leads down into the Boot -- is a bit tricky and it's easy to spin out there when the rear end gets light. It's a good track for the FR because there are no slow corners.

JG_Fan24
24-10-2015, 17:49
FR cars don't accelerate well so try to keep your momentum up the best you can. They're not good on stop & go tracks but for flowing tracks like Watkins Glen they're super fun despite the lack of power. Also when going through a turn, because they lack power, you can get back on the gas earlier without fear of spinning out. Pay attention to your line, try to open up the corners as much as you can and early on the gas - even before the apex in a lot of places.

I don't have a lot to offer on the Glen. I love the track but have only raced there in the game a few times. Your line through the bus stop is critical. I don't know what the line would be in a Rookie but I do know it's important so in your practice sessions give that section a lot of attention. Also in FR you're probably not doing the full GP layout but if you are, The Chute -- the turn that leads down into the Boot -- is a bit tricky and it's easy to spin out there when the rear end gets light. It's a good track for the FR because there are no slow corners.
Thank you. Seems as though I don't actually need much help at the Glen (I am running the short course, by the way) other than avoiding hitting other cars, as I just ran a 1:17:581, which lands me at #7 on the leaderboard for that car and track combo (my Steam name is LetsGoBuffalo for anyone wanting to look on the PC version leaderboard).

ElectricBlues85
24-10-2015, 19:14
There is a right left chicane at the top of a long straight near the beginning of the track. Use loads of curb, pick a tight line and you'll be surprised how fast you can get through there.

The best place to pick up tips for tracks and driving lines is YouTube. I use it all the time. Anything by the 'The Gentlemans Club (TGC)' will no doubt be good quality racing (Have no affiliation by the way). But most vids can be used to learn. Check this one out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ot37wMRunw

JG_Fan24
24-10-2015, 19:46
There is a right left chicane at the top of a long straight near the beginning of the track. Use loads of curb, pick a tight line and you'll be surprised how fast you can get through there.

The best place to pick up tips for tracks and driving lines is YouTube. I use it all the time. Anything by the 'The Gentlemans Club (TGC)' will no doubt be good quality racing (Have no affiliation by the way). But most vids can be used to learn. Check this one out:
I'm not sure what chicane you speak of. Are you talking about the bus stop, the one before the very long sweeping right hander (or at this track it's known as the Inner Loop)?

Gravit8
24-10-2015, 23:12
I'm so jealous you guys get independent leader boards for different classes.
I've driven this car a bit on ps4. Never seen a leader board on it.
every leader board time is a FA car. At Every track
Grrrrrr
;(

ElectricBlues85
24-10-2015, 23:17
I'm not sure what chicane you speak of. Are you talking about the bus stop, the one before the very long sweeping right hander (or at this track it's known as the Inner Loop)?

In the video I showed you, it's the first 2 corners you see on their parade lap. 9-15s in.

VanquishedVantage
24-10-2015, 23:56
I'm pretty sure he's talking about The Esses, AKA turns 3 and 4.

Lewis Puppy
25-10-2015, 00:06
Is there an option to enable my spotter for single-player races?

JG_Fan24
25-10-2015, 01:34
In the video I showed you, it's the first 2 corners you see on their parade lap. 9-15s in.
Ah yes, that's the bus stop/inner loop. Thanks for clarifying

JG_Fan24
25-10-2015, 01:36
I'm so jealous you guys get independent leader boards for different classes.
I've driven this car a bit on ps4. Never seen a leader board on it.
every leader board time is a FA car. At Every track
Grrrrrr
;(
Is there not an option/tab at the top on PS4 that says Vehicle Records? :/

Krus Control
25-10-2015, 03:39
Nope consoles got boned leaderboardwise.

Gravit8
25-10-2015, 22:25
Nope consoles got boned leaderboardwise.

And dedicated server wise. And patch wise. And port wise.

Like being tuned sideways.