PDA

View Full Version : to wheel or not to wheel

spottydog1971
04-11-2015, 21:34
I have seen many threads on this subject but now I think I need to buy a wheel but is it really worth it ????
Honest answers please.......

ports
04-11-2015, 21:37
Simple answer is YES with out a doubt.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
04-11-2015, 21:38
I have seen many threads on this subject but now I think I need to buy a wheel but is it really worth it ????
Honest answers please.......

If you get mad at your controller enough to make the spatial and financial sacrifice, yes. It's really that simple. I get the feeling you aren't mad at your controller yet, or you wouldn't be asking, so you might as well wait until you are.

Schnizz58
04-11-2015, 21:39
It's not an option for everybody but personally if I had to play with a controller only, I probably would play a different game.

SUBGTRACER
04-11-2015, 21:41
To put it simply YES !

WHy ? If you love cars and racing games at all it is well worth the investment for the enjoyment alone !

You get the immersion of driving a car which is what we are here for ?

If you chose to buy a force feed back wheel you get feeling and more data back from the wheel that you wont from a gamepad .

You then open up all types of options to add racing cockpit , gear shifter and so on ( that list is never ending ) for more immersion.

It feels natural right out of the box , bring a friend over who isn't a big gamer and hand them a game pad to play then let them play on a wheel , you will see a smile and they will be familiar with whats required to do to drive.

The plusses are many the negatives are none :)

WARNING you will be slower for the first few days if you have extensively used a gamepad but once you are comfortable with the wheel will be easier to run consistent times and better times as you will be smoother.

Dan77 DESTROYER
04-11-2015, 22:03
100% yes it's takes the game to another level

RetroNooB
04-11-2015, 22:12
dude www.playseat.com got a sale on atm, i jus bought a full rig for 520 theres no better time to upgrade! :D *does semi decent arnie impression, but ends up sounding more like kermit the frog* "do eeeeet noooooooow"

Robhd
04-11-2015, 22:17
A decent wheel really does take the gaming experience to a new level, but be careful...

When i got started back on the xbox 360 i bought 2 wheels in quck succession before i then purchased a quality ( in that case fanatec) product...

The mral is really buy the best you can afford and if that means hanging on and saving for a bit it may end up actually saving you money in the long run if the sim racing bug really bites you...lol

John Hargreaves
04-11-2015, 22:55
You would quite rightly assume that anyone who spent as much on a wheel as they did on the original console was insane. Until you try it. I don't think there are many round here who regret the day they bought their wheel.

poirqc
04-11-2015, 23:08
Wheel all the way. With that said, proper installation, where you're comfortable, where Seat/Sterring - pedal - shifters doesn't move is highly suitable.

If you're moving alot, you won't find it enjoyable.

Cheers!

GRTfast
05-11-2015, 00:03
Get a decent force feedback wheel and you will not regret it. I promise.

NewSimmer
05-11-2015, 01:26
Honestly, I spent 90$ on a none FFB TM spider. Came from a pad and will.never race with a controller again. Not a bad way to go to see if you like the idea.'

STEELJOCKEY
05-11-2015, 01:44
I have never, ever regretted one second buying a racing for racing, burnt through 2 360 wheels, modded them with bearings and pedal springs, built my own cockpit out of plumbing pipe. Now one Xbox one, have the TX, with a proper cockpit and it is better than ever.

One recommendations though is get or build your own cockpit, to keep your wheel and pedals firmly mounted.

Oo04RCY
05-11-2015, 02:51
Great thread it's time I go shopping!

gotdirt410sprintcar
05-11-2015, 03:26
Yes yes yes yes not worth racing any other way IMO

STEELJOCKEY
05-11-2015, 03:40
I have 3 friends who used to race pCars on the controller, and now have FFB wheel, another who had a cheap spider wheel and upgraded to a FFB wheel, and all are getting so much more enjoyment from this game.

If you are really into good racing, and have been sticking with pCars, in particular over FM, then you will not regret making the investment, and will wonder why you put off buying a wheel for so long.

You don't need to be full on serious to enjoy a wheel, pick one for your level of seriousness, but the more you spend the more enjoyment you will get and probably the more serious you will be in racing games.

Be warned, once you start down the path to the dark side, forever will it lead your destiny

poirqc
05-11-2015, 13:39
I was having a discussion with a friend. Since it suits this thread:

What wheel setup is available to the Xbox one?

I know there's the G920 and some Thrustmasters wheel. But i'm lost. It seems there's lot alot of different combo possible.

Can anyone, who already search that post a list of the available wheels?

Thanks,

Oo04RCY
05-11-2015, 13:53
I need one so so bad... I usually hate all forms of shopping unless it's for cars, Project Cars new pack and tracks! Some of you are so right with this it's going to hurt my wallet which ever I chose. It's like some say though, at least my old man would be able to try when he visits as he'd never cope using a pad! I'm getting wheely wheely excited now... (Sorry for the bad pun).

Invincible
05-11-2015, 14:20
Something you might need... www.computeruniverse.net/products/90506898/playseat-evolution-m-alcantara.aspa

I know, it's a German shop, but if I am not mistaken they deliver worldwide. At least they claim to do so on their homepage.
And at least in Germany, they're quite cheap. The Playseat I listed would be 199

STEELJOCKEY
05-11-2015, 18:55
From cheapest up,

Start with the Thrustmaster Spider non FFB wheel

Next is the Logitech G920 with FFB

Then the Thrustmaster TX with FFB

Or build your own Fanatec, using the Clubsport V2 and pick a suitable rim and pedals for those with more money than me

PFalcon
05-11-2015, 19:17
From cheapest up,

Start with the Thrustmaster Spider non FFB wheel

Next is the Logitech G920 with FFB

Then the Thrustmaster TX with FFB

Or build your own Fanatec, using the Clubsport V2 and pick a suitable rim and pedals for those with more money than me

In the USA, the base Thrustmaster TX is actually about $100 cheaper ($300) than the Logitech G920 ($400). Of course, there are plenty of add-ons to the base TX so you can end up spending quite a bit more. I am awaiting arrival of my TX Leather addition wheel pedal set (comes with the upgraded leather wheel and the T3PA pedal set). Should be here Monday! This cost me the same as a G920, and I suspect it will be significantly better ;)

poirqc
06-11-2015, 01:19
In the USA, the base Thrustmaster TX is actually about $100 cheaper ($300) than the Logitech G920 ($400). Of course, there are plenty of add-ons to the base TX so you can end up spending quite a bit more. I am awaiting arrival of my TX Leather addition wheel pedal set (comes with the upgraded leather wheel and the T3PA pedal set). Should be here Monday! This cost me the same as a G920, and I suspect it will be significantly better ;)

Seems the availability of the TX Racing Wheel Leather Edition is scarse on canadian e-tailers.

The only thing i saw was the Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel Ferrari 458 Italia Edition, witch is 50$ less than the G920. For 50$ i'd rather recommed the G920 just for the depals.

Oo04RCY
06-11-2015, 15:40
So so jealous... Lucky lucky USA! Muscle cars, pickup trucks, guns and now cheaper wheels to mention just a few...
I need a green card and to move lol!

PFalcon
06-11-2015, 16:27
So so jealous... Lucky lucky USA! Muscle cars, pickup trucks, guns and now cheaper wheels to mention just a few...
I need a green card and to move lol!

I just wish there were more USA Project Cars racers online at night when I am available to race... But cheaper wheels are a plus! I so can't wait for my TX Leather wheel and pedal set to arrive! I'm not much into guns, and the pickup truck will have to wait til next year... but I CAN check the box for muscle cars, as my current "toy" is a '69 Camaro SS 350.

Rockefelluh
06-11-2015, 16:34
I just wish there were more USA Project Cars racers online at night when I am available to race... But cheaper wheels are a plus! I so can't wait for my TX Leather wheel and pedal set to arrive! I'm not much into guns, and the pickup truck will have to wait til next year... but I CAN check the box for muscle cars, as my current "toy" is a '69 Camaro SS 350.

What's your GT? Same as username?

Oo04RCY
06-11-2015, 18:45

My dads best mate from early school and my uncle of sorts owns www.americancarsuk.com. I've been there a lot recently learning, loving and dreaming! My mates inherited his dads 68 impala with a big block in it so visit that often too! I can't do or like guns that much too in the UK.
Ps. PFalcon. You own my dream car!

SENNABOY1
14-11-2015, 17:34
I've noticed no one has mentioned the madkatz pro FFB. Wheel,and pedals,I've built this into a actual race car sim,runs and performs perfectly,FFB is really strong,price was 350 plus,product quality is robust,like someone said in previous post,needs to be fixed properly ,are the other wheels better or just more popular,222072

SENNABOY1
14-11-2015, 17:37
I've noticed no one has mentioned the madkatz pro FFB. Wheel,and pedals,I've built this into a actual race car sim,runs and performs perfectly,FFB is really strong,price was 350 plus,product quality is robust,like someone said in previous post,needs to be fixed properly ,are the other wheels better or just more popular,222072
Just thought IDE mention,the lights are not a gay addition,it's so I can see what Ime doing when all the lights are off,