PDA

View Full Version : I need your advices : coming back to the game with idea of acquiring G29 wheel

Falconeye
05-11-2015, 09:27
Hi,

I would like to have your advices… I bought Project cars when it was released in May. I played with controller but after about 5 hours of playing, I didn’t find any pleasure with it, always finishing in last position, some PS4 crashes,….

I was always playing with controllers, my G27 being not compatible with PS4. I would like to give another try to Project Cars and buying a G29 + shifter. Will this transform the game experience ? Can we reproduce real behavior like double clutch technics,…and improving sport driving skills ? Are you not fed up by the game after 6 months ?

I don’t want also to spend all the time configuring my device. It is easy to configure it one time or must we configure the wheel for each car we use ?

Before spending 399 Euros I would like to be sure I will not make a mistake :)

Thanks for your advices and sorry for my english :).

Dizeaz
05-11-2015, 12:16
Hi,

I would like to have your advices… I bought Project cars when it was released in May. I played with controller but after about 5 hours of playing, I didn’t find any pleasure with it, always finishing in last position, some PS4 crashes,….

I was always playing with controllers, my G27 being not compatible with PS4. I would like to give another try to Project Cars and buying a G29 + shifter. Will this transform the game experience ? Can we reproduce real behavior like double clutch technics,…and improving sport driving skills ? Are you not fed up by the game after 6 months ?

I don’t want also to spend all the time configuring my device. It is easy to configure it one time or must we configure the wheel for each car we use ?

There are some great guides for configuring the G29 on this forum. I bought a G29 a few months ago and it really transformed the game for me. I would suggest small tweaks here and there based on the cars you are driving, but when you find one good overall set up, it is certainly doable to drive any car with one set up.

Baconator
05-11-2015, 12:17
Sounds about like the same spot I was in. I played for a few hours with a controller and couldn't "get into it"

I finally ponied up the money 2 weeks ago for a G29 and the game has come "alive"

I cant speak for the shifter because I have yet to buy one but configuring the wheel was actually pretty easy. I use the same config for all cars and see no real difference. Good luck.

MrFranc
05-11-2015, 12:36
You can try the settings from redruMKO or Northlander. Myself, I'm using redruMKO with great results. Have not try Northlander, but people seems to like it too, maybe I give it a try later on.

Northlander http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?35635-G29-Discussions-Plus-Support-and-Settings/page55

redruMKO http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?35635-G29-Discussions-Plus-Support-and-Settings/page59

MrFranc
05-11-2015, 13:25
On Amazon, the G29 is going for $286.55.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Z0....tML&ref=plSrch

pimmbj
05-11-2015, 13:33
Same here, I played the game with controller, liked it but missed real feeling of controlling the car. Now I have a G29 (no seperate shifter), plug and play with default settings and absolutely adore the game! It doesn't bore at all! The monthly DLC is awesome :-)

Haiden
05-11-2015, 14:51
Hi,

If you're into racing and plan to use the wheel with other current and future titles, then yes. It's definitely worth the investment. If you're just buying it to play PCars, then...yes; it will improve the experience dramatically, but you need to decide if you want to spend $400 on a $60 game that you may or may not be playing in a year or so.

You don't have to configure the wheel for each car. But you'll probably want to use one of the many global FFB tunes found throughout this forum. You'll need to test a few--giving each a proper amount of time to judge the differences--before settling on one. After that, it's up to you whether or not you want to run your cars with the default in-car FFB settings. Personally, I recommend using Jack Spade's in-car settings. But when I try new cars, I often run with the defaults, until I decide whether or not I want to stick with it. The defaults aren't bad at all and I often forget I'm running them. Again, it's a personal preference. But you'll need to do a little testing to determine your personal preference.

Bottom line, if you're looking for truly plug and play racer, with one or two simple strength sliders for FFB, then this isn't the game. However, if you're willing to invest a few hours/a good day--and at this point, that's really all it takes, because the community has already filtered through the tunes and the best ones have risen to the top--then you'll really enjoy the wheel. But if you don't want to invest that small amount of time (small in comparison to how long you'll be enjoying the results of your time investment), then don't even bother. You're just gonna find yourself frustrated and complaining. PCars isn't really for the quick gamer. PCars is best suited for sim/race hobbyists.

Falconeye
05-11-2015, 15:36
Hi,

Thanks for all your answer ! To answer some questions, I am willing to spend some times each day (even if my contacts on PSN are all on Destiny…) and I don’t want an arcade game but the most high level simulation in the cars handling way. I often use car game like Gran Turismo with a G27 on PS3 but I always feel that something was missing compared to real life. I would like more a true simulator that can improve your sport driving skill before trying some sport cars in real life (for example with magic boxes driving etc…)

You told me that cars behavior are often the same with the Wheel settings. Does it mean that all cars have the same behavior or can you see important differences between cars (even with similar categories) ?

I would like to use the G29 with the clutch since I am French (nobody is perfect) and majority of cars are manual. Is clutch implementation is real ? I remember that on gran Turismo it was not very well implemented. Sometimes, you couldn’t gear up or gear down….

Thanks again for your help.

Haiden
05-11-2015, 16:09
Hi,

Thanks for all your answer ! To answer some questions, I am willing to spend some times each day (even if my contacts on PSN are all on Destiny…) and I don’t want an arcade game but the most high level simulation in the cars handling way. I often use car game like Gran Turismo with a G27 on PS3 but I always feel that something was missing compared to real life. I would like more a true simulator that can improve your sport driving skill before trying some sport cars in real life (for example with magic boxes driving etc…)

You told me that cars behavior are often the same with the Wheel settings. Does it mean that all cars have the same behavior or can you see important differences between cars (even with similar categories) ?

I would like to use the G29 with the clutch since I am French (nobody is perfect) and majority of cars are manual. Is clutch implementation is real ? I remember that on gran Turismo it was not very well implemented. Sometimes, you couldn’t gear up or gear down….

Thanks again for your help.

Not sure what that person meant by all behaving the same, but they definitely weren't talking about the feel and handling. If there's one thing PCars has done well, it's giving each car it's own unique characteristics. Personally, I think each car feels distinctly different.

Can't speak to the clutch issue, though. I have a three pedal set, but haven't used the clutch yet in PCars.

wyldanimal
05-11-2015, 17:59
The Clutch Implementation is real. You Can Slip the clutch by varying the Pedal.
I use the G27 Shifter on my G29..
No need to buy the extra shifter if you already have it.

Extra G27 Shifter buttons DO NOT work...

Ok.. About Shifting and using the clutch.
Sure, It adds more immersion to the sim experience.

but after a while, I've given up try to be competitive with it.

It's now Purely for my enjoyment..

When I'm racing, I'm Paddle Shifting..
you can still miss shifts..
no need to Double Clutch..
Lift off Gas
Press Clutch in,
Shift
Release Clutch
Back on Gas

Get it wonked, and you miss the shift.
Easy fix, just use the paddle to get back to the right gear.

wyldanimal
05-11-2015, 18:02
FFB adjustments..

Hummm... Very Mixed here..
each car should have it's own Feel to it...

Tweaking the FFB to get all the cars to feel the same is Just wrong..
Try the Defaults...

Adjust the Global settings...
then make Minor tweaks to the car...

I try to be consistent..
what I change on one car I change the same to all the others.
Each car feels different for a reason.

But it's a Personal choice..
read the forums, use advice of others...
but in the end.. Make it your own..

Edit:
Really wish the FFB and Suspension settings were two separate groups..

You can't reset one, without resetting them All.

So if you want to start with the default Suspension, you also have to reset all the FFB setting you made for the car.

the-D-
05-11-2015, 18:04
There's a way to have your g27 on your ps4, there's a workaround thread in this forum, I'd consider that before paying Logitech again for essentially the same wheel.

goog5150
06-11-2015, 00:57
I'm in the same boat! Except I went and ordered the g29 today. I'm old school Forza 2,3, and 4 racer with a playseat. Bought a ps4 last year and acquired Pcars when it came out. My Fanatecs is to buggy with ps4. Hoping I will enjoy the G29. Really liking the idea of this game. Tuning is my bread and butter. Loving the tuning side of the game!

wyldanimal
06-11-2015, 03:48
There's a way to have your g27 on your ps4, there's a workaround thread in this forum, I'd consider that before paying Logitech again for essentially the same wheel.

Since you Brought it up...
Here is the Thread...
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?40947-Old-Logitech-wheels-with-FFB-are-now-playable-on-PS4-via-homebrew-PC-app

you Buy the parts a build a custom USB interface. ( less than $35 )
Download some Software to run on the PC.
Plug you Older Wheel into the Interface
Connect that to Botu your PC and your PS4

The PC reads the Inputs from your Older Wheel.
then passess it to the PS4 and Makes the PS4 see it as a G29

This all Happens so fast that you can't even tell there is any delay at all..

It's all there in the Thread..
where to buy the parts.
where to Download the FREE software
even a Link to a step by Step tutorial how to Build it and use the Software.

And YES it really Does Work!

No Catch, no fee's, no strings...

Just takes a little skill to build the Board.
plus you need a PC.. Doesn't have to be fast or powerful either..

here's the Link to the DIY guide..
http://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=DIY_USB_adapter_for_dummies

Falconeye
06-11-2015, 07:43
Hi,

Finally, I found a guy interrested by my G27 so I will sell it and take a G29 I think based on your feedbacks.

Do you know if there is a thread with all settings you have to do step by step for configuring the wheel and cars out of the box ?

I was also looking for some tutorials about sport driving and technics in a form of PDF files, ebook, videos,… If you have any ideas, you are welcome :)

Another question is about matchmaking. Since I have a bad level, I would like to know if matchmaking is done based on your level or randomly. I wouldn’t like to be disturbing in a race if I am newbie.

Thanks again for all your feedbacks and the maturity of your answer.

Bealdor
06-11-2015, 07:47
G29 sticky thread (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/forumdisplay.php?125-Project-CARS-on-Playstation-4)

Pcars FFB Guide (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?29907-Force-Feedback-Guide-for-Project-CARS)

FFB settings for console users (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?24055-Universal-FFB-Settings-for-PS4-XB1-Spreadsheet)

Driving technics tutorials (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?28168-Develop-Your-Skills-Safe-is-Fast)

Borez
06-11-2015, 09:10
You definitely won't be making a mistake, my G29 is one of my best PS4 purchases.

I was torn between the G29 and the T300, my mate has a T300 so I went around to his house to try it and hated the stock peddles so ( as I didn't want the expense of buying a wheel then replacing the peddles ) I went for the G29 instead and couldn't be happier.

My mates T300 is currently back at the Thrustmaster being repaired, for the second time. He's been without it for over a month now.

Haiden
06-11-2015, 13:52
Hi,

Have you seen this?

http://www.ricmotech.com/Logitech_Racing_Wheel_Adapter_for_PS4_p/mxr-f1v5.htm

Falconeye
06-11-2015, 15:00
I was also wondering about purchasing a T300 but I read a lot of bad things about T300 reliability. I think I will purchase my Wheel this week-end. I hope I will not be too bas to be able to play online :)

I heard about the ricmotech adaptor but some people said that it is not as good as a native wheel for certain function... I don't know if it's true or not.

If I purchase my G29 , I hope Logitech will not make the same trick like the G27 with next consoles :)

Haiden
06-11-2015, 18:04
I was also wondering about purchasing a T300 but I read a lot of bad things about T300 reliability. I think I will purchase my Wheel this week-end. I hope I will not be too bas to be able to play online :)

I heard about the ricmotech adaptor but some people said that it is not as good as a native wheel for certain function... I don't know if it's true or not.

If I purchase my G29 , I hope Logitech will not make the same trick like the G27 with next consoles :)

I've wondered the same about those adapters. In my experience, translation devices usually add sometime kind of latency to the signal travel. Sometimes it's minuscule, other times far more noticeable.

I've heard the horror stories about the T300, as well. I haven't had any problems with mine, or with my TX, which I've had for about a year and a half.

wyldanimal
06-11-2015, 18:51
Have you seen this?

http://www.ricmotech.com/Logitech_Racing_Wheel_Adapter_for_PS4_p/mxr-f1v5.htm

reviews and reports of that device were less than exciting.

wyldanimal
06-11-2015, 18:56
You definitely won't be making a mistake, my G29 is one of my best PS4 purchases.

I was torn between the G29 and the T300, my mate has a T300 so I went around to his house to try it and hated the stock peddles so ( as I didn't want the expense of buying a wheel then replacing the peddles ) I went for the G29 instead and couldn't be happier.

My mates T300 is currently back at the Thrustmaster being repaired, for the second time. He's been without it for over a month now.

and Not that wheel issues are just a Thrusmaster thing...
Logitech too, has had some defective G29's
But the customer service is just so much better, when / if you do have a Logitech problem.

So defects aren't just a Thrustmaster thing...
even tho, us T300 owners have had bad experiences and we luv to bash TM for it..
I do want to recognize that the same can happen no matter what the product or vendor..

But it's how the Vendor handles it that makes the world of difference.

Haiden
06-11-2015, 19:50
reviews and reports of that device were less than exciting.

Yeah... After reading the description about plugging both the controller and the wheel into the adapter, and then into the console, I can imagine why. :)

M-Bimmer
09-11-2015, 20:15
Any wheel would make a huge diffetence. Not sure about the G29 since i went with thrustmaster T300 RS (wheel add-ons is a nice feature) plus i wanted a change since i still have a logitech DFGT on my Ps3 for GT6.
If you still haven't made your mind about which wheel then check this.

http://youtu.be/r5bb-6QhdsI

Pfeifer
10-11-2015, 14:16
First check out if the 5.0 update was corrupt in it download I downloaded the 5.0 update and now my wheel does not work I get a error Manuel control when I leave pits and I can't play this game any longer project cars and slightly mad studios doesn't respond to emails or to Sony play station requests for answers to the bug I been waiting for almost a month for repairs and now left in limbo, now I'm more than slightly Mad

Falconeye
17-11-2015, 09:36
Hi,

I received my G29 and the shifter, not yet having the time to test it but I will do it soon. Thanks again for all your advices.

I downloaded all documents provided by Bealdor in its previous post and especially the "Project cars FFB tweaks.xls" file. I saw there is a lot of sheets in this file : "Calssic", "Fy+SopLateral", "66%",...
Which setting is the more recommanded among all these tweaks ?

Thanks you very much.

PS : I hope crashs are not yet present like when PC was released :)