PDA

View Full Version : Is this game worth a purchase on Xbox One?

Legion21
09-11-2015, 20:07
I apologize if this has been discussed before, I just made an account. I wanted to know if this game in a good state after all the updates. Most reviews, user and critics, haven't been updated so the information is dated. I was looking to buy this game primarily as an F1 alternative since F1 2015 didn't exactly live up to expectations. The game is currently on sale so I was looking to buy, what has been your experience with the game lately, mainly with the F1 cars.

Nicho Lucas Dad
09-11-2015, 21:18
Its worth every penny, this game is not for everyone, if you are prepared to put the time in to tuning and practice you will get a lot out of it.The patches keep coming and improvements are made all the time. Don't believe all the negative stuff you read, yes there are some small bugs but nothing game breaking.

TheReaper GT
09-11-2015, 21:26
It is worth every penny even at full price. Bear in mind two things, though:

1- The game does not have a official Formula 1 license, but the Formula A class more than fill that gap as you can see in my video:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=BDD27F776BACBF95!2609&authkey=!AOaH1Fli9sTHyi4&ithint=video%2cmp4

I play on cockpit camera but I love this one for replays :D.

2- There's a learning curve and you have to be ready to put up with the challenge.

The best part is to have a lot of racing classes to try and challenge yourself to get better and better.

EpilepticToast
09-11-2015, 21:50
definitely worth getting, worth $60 plus easily. I've virtually stopped playing all my other games for this one! however, if you have a short fuse and get angry easily/ don't have patience you might want to watch out. This game requires a lot of work arounds and unique procedures to get it functioning at it's best on xbox1. If you have a wheel it is the best racing game you can possibly get on console right now, the feeling through the feedback is unbeatable and much more realistic compared to other racing games out there. If it's on sale right now I highly recommend getting it at a discount price and hopefully you won't be disappointed. For me, this game is exactly what I've been waiting years for on console. It is missing a few things and has quite a lot of irritating bugs (being fixed, just taking a while) but the driving experience completely makes up for it.

ashasha
09-11-2015, 22:18
Like others have said it's absolutely worth full price in my opinion. I have only had one crash since I bought it the day it was released, but I do not play online and I know that I have been the exception to the rule in that regard. I also know that my xBox doesn't have a ton of stuff on it and I have disabled instant on which seems to help. I also exit from the game completely before powering down. 2 seconds of prevention is worth hours of headaches in my opinion.

I don't know if I'd play it without a wheel. If you've got a wheel it's absolutely the most immersive game on the console. With that said it isn't a plug and play experience; you will have to adjust the FFB settings on every car at least once and save it. Jack Spade's settings are a great start and there is even a site that hosts all of the settings and another with tunes (even though you can drive pretty damn fast without touching the tuning). I know that some people don't like messing with the FFB, but the way I look at it the pay off is worth the 4 extra minutes I have to spend the first time I use a car. I choose it in my garage, set the FFB and then save it to all tracks....done. The quality of the FFB and overall experience makes it worth the time.

beetes_juice
09-11-2015, 22:34
I drive a lot of with the FA cars. I can't comment on the career aspect of FA since I haven't entered it. If your looking for a real to life season then F1 15 is your best bet; didn't live up to my expectations either. TBH shows how how far a full license for a brand/racing series can go. Only reason I play that game is for the 2015 lineup of tracks.

Back to PC. FA cars for me are only driven in QRW and TT. I'd say these are a "specialty car" (nice way to put it :cool:). Your not going to see to many public room in multiplayer running FA races. After saying that there is not a better feeling in this game then putting down a perfect lap in TT with these bad boys. Its extremely satisfying and nothing any of the FM's or F1 games will give you when driving those cars.

Its not just with the FA cars; every car is rewarding to drive and gives you a level of immersion I have never seen in a racing game. I'm a wheel user.

I'd say pull the trigger and give it ago.

Innerspace_HQ
09-11-2015, 23:20
I drive a lot of with the FA cars. I can't comment on the career aspect of FA since I haven't entered it. If your looking for a real to life season then F1 15 is your best bet; didn't live up to my expectations either. TBH shows how how far a full license for a brand/racing series can go. Only reason I play that game is for the 2015 lineup of tracks.

Back to PC. FA cars for me are only driven in QRW and TT. I'd say these are a "specialty car" (nice way to put it :cool:). Your not going to see to many public room in multiplayer running FA races. After saying that there is not a better feeling in this game then putting down a perfect lap in TT with these bad boys. Its extremely satisfying and nothing any of the FM's or F1 games will give you when driving those cars.

Its not just with the FA cars; every car is rewarding to drive and gives you a level of immersion I have never seen in a racing game. I'm a wheel user.

I'd say pull the trigger and give it ago.

I also got F1 2015 just for the tracks but it's largely quite disappointing as a game.

The FA car in PC is absolutely stunning to drive. It's given me more open wheel joy than any game before it but this was only after I bought a wheel - with a pad it was too much for me. If you like open wheel and have friends who like to race it too then get your wallet out. :cool:

SUBGTRACER
09-11-2015, 23:26
All pretty positive stuff Legion .......... Pull your money out and go and get it !

Dan77 DESTROYER
09-11-2015, 23:37
Definatly worth getting, there are many good reasons to buy this and one of them is physics, not to mention the tracks and cars on offer each bringing a different experience, if you love racing this is the game for you.

Bliman
10-11-2015, 00:21
Absolutely,
Still play it every day.
But it depends if you just want a racer where you can just jump in and race. Then there are better options like Forza.
Or if multiplayer is important then forza is also better because the community is bigger, unless you get to know some groups.
But if you consider yourself a racer and have any petrol in your veins then don't hesitate.
When you play this game you slowly start to think like a racepilot in every sense.
You start to notice things in real life and start thinking like yeah that's the problem they are having or maybe that's wrong in their setup, etc... and that's because the physics in this game are top notch.
In short, if you care about racing then get this game if not buy forza or so.
Do yourself a favor buy this game and never look back ;)

Just Another Frog
10-11-2015, 00:54
I apologize if this has been discussed before, I just made an account. I wanted to know if this game in a good state after all the updates. Most reviews, user and critics, haven't been updated so the information is dated. I was looking to buy this game primarily as an F1 alternative since F1 2015 didn't exactly live up to expectations. The game is currently on sale so I was looking to buy, what has been your experience with the game lately, mainly with the F1 cars.

I think anyone who is a fan of racing should own a copy of PCars - but as a full price purchase? No, I think not.

Game physics are technically superior to anything I have seen on either Xbox and the dynamic weather is astoundingly good but beyond that there really isn't much more to shout about. Gameplay is effectively a single player experience (and a good one at that) but there will come a time when racing yet another track against yet another bunch of AI opponents becomes an ever increasing hollow experience and that's where the game content really starts to wear thin.

Leaderboards? Yes, they are ever present but due to the strange PI system for each individual leaderboard class it quickly becomes apparent that there inclusion within the game is borderline pointless. Hence the lack of LB entries since they were wiped some weeks ago. So that's one alternative option gone.
Multiplayer? Again it is present in the game but the combination of finding a game AND finding a game that suits the class you want to race is becoming increasingly more difficult. Whilst some classes remain present in the lobbies, you will find that racing the bulk of cars this game has to offer simply will not happen in an online capacity. And there goes option two.

So, splitting the game into the three 'usual suspects' selections yields a return of one solid experience and two not so great performing modes. But at the end of the day it's down to what you want out of the game. I won't ever deny that the single player experience is pretty cool but sometimes it's nice to share the euphoria of a great race with a bunch of friends (or even a bunch of chatty random people) down a microphone as opposed to dancing around the room with no one but your pet cat/dog/hamster to share your racing moments with.

SMS have put a Ferrari engine inside a Vauxhall Viva and created a Frankenstein that goes by the name of 'Project Cars'.

Darthlethbridge
10-11-2015, 03:28
It is definitely worth the purchase. In addition to FA cars there are many more cars classes to chose from.

Buy it! You will have glitches like any game, but the quality of the game play is amazing. And the MP community is stealler!!

Ian Bell
10-11-2015, 05:40
On balance I'd say no, don't buy it. It's not up there with other games available right now.

I don't want to get banned, but there's no proper sim style triple screen support and one of my friends found what might be a bug last week.

STEELJOCKEY
10-11-2015, 06:21
What have you been drinking Ian?

And as for no triple screen support, I am disappointed with that too, surely you could have worked out how to plug 3 screens into one HDMI port and make it work. I'm expecting a lot more from pCars 2, including a drink holder for my beer.

But besides that, having done most of my racing on Xbox from the first 'box out, FM 1,2,3,4,5,6, Project Gotham 1,2,3, Need For Speed, Race Pro(which would have to be the only game close to Project Cars), and others, I have always been looking for something to compare with REAL RACING, a sim on a console. And this game is THE BEST.

If you like sim style racing, as close as it gets, and want to play it on a console, this is your game. For more arcade style silly racing, this may not be for you.

Sure, you can play it with a controller, with a lot of fiddling and patience, but the best way to enjoy this game is with a wheel. If you love racing and have a wheel already, then go for it. Racing close, wheel to wheel, with my mates online in this game, has been the best experience I have had yet, and with all the effort the developers have put in to getting it running right and improving it, adding new features, new cars, new tracks, listening to their customers, it just gets better all the time and has many years of satisfaction in it.

This game has pushed the boundaries of what a console can do, and has achieved beyond what I thought was possible on a console. I have never regretted one second of my time spent playing it, nor one cent of my hard earned money buying it.

Ian Bell
10-11-2015, 06:29
What have you been drinking Ian?

And as for no triple screen support, I am disappointed with that too, surely you could have worked out how to plug 3 screens into one HDMI port and make it work. I'm expecting a lot more from pCars 2, including a drink holder for my beer.

But besides that, having done most of my racing on Xbox from the first 'box out, FM 1,2,3,4,5,6, Project Gotham 1,2,3, Need For Speed, Race Pro(which would have to be the only game close to Project Cars), and others, I have always been looking for something to compare with REAL RACING, a sim on a console. And this game is THE BEST.

If you like sim style racing, as close as it gets, and want to play it on a console, this is your game. For more arcade style silly racing, this may not be for you.

Sure, you can play it with a controller, with a lot of fiddling and patience, but the best way to enjoy this game is with a wheel. If you love racing and have a wheel already, then go for it. Racing close, wheel to wheel, with my mates online in this game, has been the best experience I have had yet, and with all the effort the developers have put in to getting it running right and improving it, adding new features, new cars, new tracks, listening to their customers, it just gets better all the time and has many years of satisfaction in it.

This game has pushed the boundaries of what a console can do, and has achieved beyond what I thought was possible on a console. I have never regretted one second of my time spent playing it, nor one cent of my hard earned money buying it.

I think the problem is that I've detoxed this week. Not recommended :)

STEELJOCKEY
10-11-2015, 06:34
No, I don't recommend it Ian, especially when getting ready for a big race on my triple screen version of pCars on Xbox One

STEELJOCKEY
10-11-2015, 06:36
Oh, by the way Ian, got the Millenium Falcon all ready for Han to fly in to history next month?

Ian Bell
10-11-2015, 06:40
Oh, by the way Ian, got the Millenium Falcon all ready for Han to fly in to history next month?

I haven't aged a hairy day.

STEELJOCKEY
10-11-2015, 06:54
Can we get the Falcon in the next car pack then?

Poulka
10-11-2015, 07:00
What Ian, yeah blame it on the detox. But let me say this game is worth it. I have played this game almost daily since May. I have only taken a break for maybe about a week twice, and I was like okay time for more racing each time. The patches have gradually turned this game into a REAL serious racer.

I mainly play career, notice the save icon, in different race sessions as well as in email screens before exiting career. This will help in the career corrupting saga. But let me say doing quick race weekends give me a joy that just fixes my racers hunger. I love how different time of day, time of year, and different weather can change your approach to a race. This what I am doing now, using the same race class of cars and seeing the effects. Hands down worth the purchase from someone who has played fora on 360 to death, the need for speeds and the F1 game I have. This game just a dynamic, I haven't been able to purchase a wheel, but I got a good thrill from pad. Go for it!

Akra
10-11-2015, 07:30
To answer the original question -

Yes. It's worth buying. It'll provide many hours of fun in career mode.

However do NOT expect a bug free experience. It's still a mess of odd bugs, random events and strange occurrences. Sometimes it detracts from the fun, sometimes it doesn't. But it IS a good game and you'll enjoy it.

PPPMAT
10-11-2015, 07:50
You need to invest some time into it like all good games but it is absolutely worth it at full/half whatever price. Totally recommended

KkDrummer
10-11-2015, 09:06
go get it...PCars is not an arcade game so keep in mind you will need to put time into it. Every car drives differently what it is more challenging, but also more rewarding and more fun!

AbioticPuddle43
10-11-2015, 09:59
If you buy it you will realise all other racing games are pants! On Xbox one!

Haiden
10-11-2015, 16:21

Personally, I think PCars is a must have for console race enthusiasts. But if you're looking for a realistic F1 experience--season, pit crews, engineers, and the general feel/energy of Formula 1--then F1 2015 does that better. On console, PCars is second to none when it comes to physics, handling, and overall visuals. And, overall, the career experience in PCars is okay. But the FA season in PCars doesn't come close to season play in F1 2015. The Formula A AI in PCars is just way too aggressive and situationally blind to for you to enjoy a good season. And the garage/team experience is non-existent in PCars. The engineer is absolutely no help, just a bunch of canned dialogue that you could do with out.

Again, I do think PCars is a must have for console race enthusiasts, so don't get me wrong. It's my primary racer, and will be for sometime. It's the reason I decided to take a pass on Forza 6. But when I want an F1 experience--like after watching a race--I always turn to F1 2015. So, if you're a race fan, maybe just buy them both. :) But if you're only interested Formula 1, you'd be better off sticking with F1.

beetes_juice
10-11-2015, 17:33
........But when I want an F1 experience--like after watching a race--I always turn to F1 2015. So, if you're a race fan, maybe just buy them both. :) But if you're only interested Formula 1, you'd be better off sticking with F1.

Interlagos all week!

Sergi01978
10-11-2015, 18:06
I recommend buying a board game instead, perhaps Cluedo or scrabble.

I'm kidding, if you like racing games, then go for it! I've had some of the best racing experience's from this brilliant game.
As the other guys have said, you will need to tinker quite a bit, but I'm even starting to enjoy this.

Take a look at the controller thread when/if you decide to buy, as there's some great tips for getting the best settings.

Hope to see you on track soon:D

Spiny Anteater
10-11-2015, 18:26
As others have said, a lot of whether you buy PCars or not comes down to what you want from the game.

Do you want a game you can pick up and play in minutes? It's not for you
A game where you can choose from hundreds of cars and bolt lots of bits onto them? It's probably not for you

However...

Are you looking for something to last you for the long term? Do you want the best racing experience on the Xbox at the moment? Do you prefer longer races as opposed to 3 laps to bash through a field of aggressive AI to get on the podium? Do you like the idea of cars which genuinely feel, rather than just look, different? Do you like the idea of having a wide choice of tracks? Are you looking forward to the chance to work on your skills, seeing an improvement on your driving and tuning ability over a period of weeks and months?

If you answer yes to any, most or all of this set of the second set of questions, then I would without hesitation get PCars. Since I bought it at launch, I don't think I've played another game apart from 1 hour of World of Tanks - I've really enjoyed it that much.

chrisff87
10-11-2015, 18:48
I never understood how my brother, with so many great games available out there, only plays FIFA. That was until I got PCars about 2 months ago, and my addiction begun.
So to answer your question, YES go get it, it's well worth it!

Haiden
10-11-2015, 19:39
Interlagos all week!

Yes! Looking forward it! Wish Vettel had of calmed down a bit last race. Anything in points would have been better than a DNF. It was close between him and Rosberg. Now, not so much. Unless Rosberg screws up big time, it's his. It's alright, though. I just love watching the race. :)

SUBGTRACER
10-11-2015, 22:21
On balance I'd say no, don't buy it. It's not up there with other games available right now.

I don't want to get banned, but there's no proper sim style triple screen support and one of my friends found what might be a bug last week.

That's enough of that we will not tolerate that type of disrespect and language here if you have nothing constructive to put in go and play need for speed :) ...... no no don't do that!

I think someone should wash this guys mouth out with soap , shave his hair and send him packing to where he come from !

On second thoughts leave the hair.

AdM1
11-11-2015, 02:55
I thinks its worth the purchase but don't expect a problem free experience. Still worth the money though when you consider what a second hand copy costs..

chig88
11-11-2015, 10:57
As others have said - worth the purchase because it's fantastic when it works well.

Goes from being one of my favourite games ever (and easily my favourite racing game) when it works, to a frustrating experience that I want to abandon when it's playing up.

Depends if you're willing to put up with the lows to experience the highs. I'm choosing to at the moment.

Darthlethbridge
13-11-2015, 08:36
The suspense is killing me..............LOL...........did you buy the game?

SpeedFreakDTM
13-11-2015, 14:19
It will definitely be worth it after patch 6 drops. Then we can finally kick the morons out and enjoy racing.

BigFred
13-11-2015, 15:20
let's face it, if you are into racing games definitely worth a purchase, if only to encourage the developer to make more.

Is it perfect ? No. But it's good.

For formula A the cars are very crisp and responsive and fun to drive. There is a big challenge getting the maximum power down without spinning the car. The vibration really adds to the feeling of going fast, and that you are on the edge. The racing for me is really exciting, with the Formula C being great, the FA are a bit too hot for me to handle in the racing but good for time trial.

I have no clue what on line is like, and I think this may be the weak spot.

PFalcon
13-11-2015, 18:39
Project Cars is so worth the purchase! The biggest "downside" is it may sway you into spending much more money than you had originally intended. My $50 Project Cars purchase eventually led to a $400 wheel/pedal set purchase. I of course also had to build a racing frame to mount those new items! And now I have my eyes on the $150 TH8A shifter add-on... Does it ever end?!

If you are interested in F1 style racing, I would HIGHLY recommend a good FFB wheel for the Formula FA cars in Project Cars. I used to avoid those cars when using the XBox controller, as they were just too fast and twitchy. Now with the FFB wheel (Thrustmaster TX) the FA cars are insanely great. I can't imagine a better simulation of Formula One racing physics on a PC or console.

TheReaper GT
13-11-2015, 18:41
Project Cars is so worth the purchase! The biggest "downside" is it may sway you into spending much more money than you had originally intended. My $50 Project Cars purchase eventually led to a $400 wheel/pedal set purchase. I of course also had to build a racing frame to mount those new items! And now I have my eyes on the $150 TH8A shifter add-on... Does it ever end?!

Nope, never :D put a tablet for motec and telemetry on that list...

PFalcon
13-11-2015, 18:44
Nope, never :D put a tablet for motec and telemetry on that list...

Is that possible on the XBox One? (my wallet hopes the answer is no...)

TheReaper GT
13-11-2015, 18:53
Is that possible on the XBox One? (my wallet hopes the answer is no...)

After patch 7.0 yes :D pCars dash and Crew Chief already confirmed. :D

PFalcon
13-11-2015, 19:03
After patch 7.0 yes :D pCars dash and Crew Chief already confirmed. :D

Wow, I would have had no complaints if those features were put off til PC2. I am more and more impressed by the Devs commitment to updating this game. Thanks for the info and thanks SMS. I have a Galaxy tablet collecting dust, so hopefully it will work with the PCars motec/telemetry.

kevin turner
14-11-2015, 15:13
I have had Pcars since launch and running with TX wheel on Xbox One. Although there has been lots of threads and topics with bugs and issues with this game I can honestly say it is by far the best racing sim around on consoles at the moment. But dont expect to just pick this game up and be competative from the start. You will need patience and practice to thorougly get the most out of Pcars. SMS are constanly updating and ironing out faults all the time unlike F1 which could take a lot out of Pcars book. FM6 is horrible to drive from my point of view, braking and turning are so arcade and nothing like real responses the cars would give. Online play is great in a private lobby but horrible in a public one during either Practice or Qualifaction. Overall you can not go wrong with purchasing Pcars. You will get months and months of fun and competition.

Sandman705
15-11-2015, 18:50
This game blows Forza 6 out of the water. Every patch it gets better and more stable. Why is it better than Forza 6? Here are my opinions. (I don't post here lots, I'm too busy playing this and Witcher III lol)

1.) Career Mode. While it isn't as open as Forza 5's was, career is pretty damn cool. First of all, you can have multiple careers at once (is 10 max...maybe). That alone is dynamite. Second, it feels like A RACING CAREER...imagine that. Where Forza 6 forces you to finish Top 3 to progress, you can finish dead last in every race and still move on. As you learn the game and get better you'll start winning championship and moving up in tiers. (Or stay in tier 1 forever if that's what you like and where you started! :) ). Being able to race through championship, points based seasons is beyond satisfying. Hell, Forza Horizon 2 had a better championship system and career mode than Forza 6!!!

2.) Free Play. Or Quick Race Weekend as they call it in PCars! Set up a race against the AI however the hell you want. You want to race road cars with touring cars, sure go ahead. Want to have only stock cars on the track and run circles around Indy....well you can! LMP1 race at blazing speeds? Yep. Point is, you can't do that AT ALL in Forza. But hey you can run the Class-S RWD 25 lap special, so there's that..... right....? In PCars you can even set the imaginary date for your race.

3.) Dynamic weather. NUFF SAID. Forza's sad puddle races are nothing compared to PCars dynamic weather system. 10 laps in it starts to rain....then pour, but by lap 25 it's starting to clear. Hey the sun is out! And you can customize it all!

4.) Even time trials are fun. Forza 6 beats PCars here....their rivals mode is much much better. But this is still fun, no doubt about it. You'll find a great time trying to beat your own and others lap times on every track in the game.

5.) Speaking of tracks.....THE TRACKS!!! - You'll never get bored, so many places to race both real and fictional.

6.) They talk to their customers. On Forza's forums this thread http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst40929_We-can-t-choose-cars-for-the-Drivatars--Really.aspx is the biggest and most talked about. The developers have responded ONCE. And it was a generic corporate BS line. At least tell us the Free Play options will never be added, don't leave us in the dark. Ian is on here communicating with the fan base and listening to people.

Now, yes.....Forza 6 does do some stuff better. The car selection, you can't even compare it. PCars has some nice CHEAP DLC which adds great cars to the mix, but Forza wins here. I know I am the enemy for saying this, but I like the economy and XP system from Forza. I do like buying my cars instead of just having everything available. (For career any ways, Free Play or Quick race should always be wide open).

I look like a PCars FANBOI. I do love the game. I used to advocate for Forza so bad...I made a mistake buying Forza 6 and it collects dust on my shelf to this day. Forza has never been able to duplicate the masterpiece that was Forza 4.

So...yeah buy it. AND THE DLC, it's awesome!!! :D