PDA

View Full Version : Project Rail :)

kirso
15-11-2015, 19:10
I have been trying to get by in the Multiplayer side of the game.
The one thing that amazes me are the train drivers. I don't mean slow, but the ones that seem to be on rails....
Now I don't mess with the settings very much, mostly because I aint got a clue. But is it the settings that make so much difference.
I know I am going to be told "its the line" and lots of other things. But I watch cars go around corners from off the racing line by miles. If I so much as miss by a fraction I would be facing the wrong way or have to scrub off any speed just to get to the other side of the corner.
Don't get me wrong I am not shouting "cheat". As a newbie I want to know, if you want to compete do you need to learn the tweaking side ?
Are there many races with Default restrictions ?
I am trying to improve my driving side, but I did not want to become a crew chief as well :dejection:

Umer Ahmad
15-11-2015, 20:15
Firstly, you must LEARN THE TRACK.

Thats more important than "engineering". You could have the God-mode setup but if you enter wrong even the best setup will not help you.

kirso
16-11-2015, 07:23
Firstly, you must LEARN THE TRACK.

Thats more important than "engineering". You could have the God-mode setup but if you enter wrong even the best setup will not help you.

That's my point.
Your statement is totally true if I am racing and I go offline, then its goodbye corner.
But as I said I see others that are way off line and make it easily and at speed.
Can I ask what is God-mode ? Is there cheats in the sim ?
I came away from FPS games cos I was sick of hackers etc, so I hope I have not entered another world where these scum lurk.. :(

Neil Bateman
16-11-2015, 07:29
I think he was saying the perfect set up, nothing to do with cheating.

Sankyo
16-11-2015, 07:35
Are you sure you're not seeing additional AI in MP (assuming that that's still a feature)?

kirso
16-11-2015, 08:23
I don't want to start a "cheat " thread or discussion.
My aim was to try to find out if the tweaking side of the game was so important.
I suspect it must play a major part and when correctly done will give a gain. How large a gain is the question.
Thanks for the replies people :)

Invincible
16-11-2015, 08:29
You can gain some 10ths from a good setup, if you were driving at the limit before. But you will probably have a second or two room for improvement in your driving style / line. Also, if you use the game's "ideal line" well... just don't.
It is only to give you a rough idea of the track. But on some corners, there are way faster lines to get through.

In some cases, a good setup can do more of course. It can give you the confidence and control to get to the car's limit. A bad setup on the other hand may hinder you from really pushing the car just because it doesn't fit your driving style.

TheReaper GT
16-11-2015, 08:39
That really depends on the class chosen. Gt3 cars have a great weight / power / aero balance, they are meant to be as stable as possible at the whole acceleration and speed range. If you run stock cars or vintage formula is a whole different story... Setups are important but not mandatory. The thing is, if a guy took the time to practice and fine tune a car for a certain track in the right way that means he know his $hit and a good setup + good driver > default setup + good driver. Now if the driver sucks but it's using a good setup taken from a friend or the setup database, he is screwed...

RTA nOsKiLlS
16-11-2015, 08:56
I came away from FPS games cos I was sick of hackers etc, so I hope I have not entered another world where these scum lurk.. :(

There are hacks and cheats for every game. Thats just one of the joys of PC gaming, its much easier to hack/cheat as PC users have easy access to all the games files.

There was a guy on Grid Autosport on the PC, something doodle his name was. He was/is a cheat. Using some kind of speed hack whilst claiming he drove using the keyboard, but his steering would be smooth. He was able to finish the race, half a lap or more ahead of some good racers, in a slow car, rarely had the fastest lap.

If you search youtube for some idiot called "sethioz" then you will see all the kind of crappy devious things that can be done with racing games.

I'll stick to the consoles, its not impossible to cheat on a console its just a bit harder.

Charger
16-11-2015, 09:03
There are hacks and cheats for every game. Thats just one of the joys of PC gaming, its much easier to hack/cheat as PC users have easy access to all the games files.

There was a guy on Grid Autosport on the PC, something doodle his name was. He was/is a cheat. Using some kind of speed hack whilst claiming he drove using the keyboard, but his steering would be smooth. He was able to finish the race, half a lap or more ahead of some good racers, in a slow car, rarely had the fastest lap.

If you search youtube for some idiot called "sethioz" then you will see all the kind of crappy devious things that can be done with racing games.

I'll stick to the consoles, its not impossible to cheat on a console its just a bit harder.

Amphydoodle, he was legit, he won a few comps, he was fast but not unbeatable, there is a guy that races this who I will not name who I am a bit suspect about though but he may just be that good, to be honest though he is the first one I have ever suspected on this, it's not that he can beat me though, he beats our fastest racers by half a lap easy and our top couple of guys are very fast.

Mahjik
16-11-2015, 13:26
My aim was to try to find out if the tweaking side of the game was so important.

The answer is yes.. However, it's not necessarily "seconds" faster unless you are talking about a very large track. If you are several seconds off (5+ seconds) on a track that is around 1m 30s for most drivers, than you are missing more than setup. You are missing race track driving knowledge (i.e. how to be fast).

Here's a good video to start with if you haven't seen it yet (ignore the age of the video as it still has good information):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQRmYMlmdqM