PDA

View Full Version : Opponent Skill is standard for all traks?

nemo06
16-11-2015, 11:43
I already know quite well the main circuits of Project Cars, but I noticed big differences between my times and those of AI opponents.
For example, in BRNO, Imola, Monza, I'm always first, with all cars, with AI set to 100%, while in Sakitto, Wathings glen I can only win with AI set to 50%.
It is my fault or the setting of the opponents is not always the same?

TheReaper GT
16-11-2015, 11:58
It's different across tracks and classes

bluesky0870
16-11-2015, 13:30
I already know quite well the main circuits of Project Cars, but I noticed big differences between my times and those of AI opponents.
For example, in BRNO, Imola, Monza, I'm always first, with all cars, with AI set to 100%, while in Sakitto, Wathings glen I can only win with AI set to 50%.
It is my fault or the setting of the opponents is not always the same?

I've noticed that too and mentioned here from time to time. The AI's skill within a car class (e.g. gt3) is inconsistently. The more corners a track is having the slower is the AI. At Brno you can run rings around your opponents, at Spa they could do the same with you at same skill level.
The AI strength is changing between different car classes too. In Formula Gulf and Formula C the AI is weaker and easier to beat than in LMP2 for example. So you have to adjust the strength from race to race and from class to class.

vvpulsevv
18-11-2015, 17:09
This is the most frustrating thing for me in this game. I want competitive races, but I'm constantly having to test, adjust ai, restart, and wash/rinse repeat with each track. Ugh...

Fractured Life
18-11-2015, 18:33
Phew. Explains something I was worrying about. Usually I try and run practice races for my league with all the same settings, and AI level somewhere between 87 and 100, putting me in the top 10 mostly and allowing me to fight for a podium. This week we're at Donny GP. I'm over 5 seconds off the pace, hopefully in reality I'll be closer to the rest of the guys once the league race is on!

Ixoye56
18-11-2015, 18:38
inconsistently AI times is frustrating and a major problem with this game

Rockefelluh
18-11-2015, 19:22
At least we can adjust with the percentage scale.

OpticalHercules
19-11-2015, 22:32
The problem with this is that when the game first released, people complained that the AI drove on "rails" and pretty much stuck only to their known path. As the AI was further developed after release and became more "intuitive", there's now more factors or different variables that decide how each AI driver is going to act in each turn of the track. The more turns, the more AI decisions need to be made, and the more chances for the AI to be more or less conservative based on AI "Skill".

If the Devs reverted the AI back to where it was at release, I think the AI skill % / AI lap times would be more linear from track to track, no matter how many turns.

We all wanted a more intuitive AI. Well, we got it. For better or for worse.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
20-11-2015, 00:07
I've noticed that too and mentioned here from time to time. The AI's skill within a car class (e.g. gt3) is inconsistently. The more corners a track is having the slower is the AI. At Brno you can run rings around your opponents, at Spa they could do the same with you at same skill level.
I don't believe they ever use low-drag setups (from what I've seen personally and heard), so with a setup you can destroy them in the straights at Spa. It's almost comical.

bluesky0870
20-11-2015, 06:26
I don't believe they ever use low-drag setups (from what I've seen personally and heard), so with a setup you can destroy them in the straights at Spa. It's almost comical.

I am talking about driving with default setups.

Try and find out by yourself. Select for example Brno and Spa and your preferred AI level, use the same car stock at both tracks and see the difference.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
20-11-2015, 06:29
I am talking about driving with default setups.

Try and find out by yourself. Select for example Brno and Spa and your preferred AI level, use the same car stock at both tracks and see the difference.

I'm far too complicated a person to reduce my advantage to driving.

Fanapryde
20-11-2015, 07:15
While AI strength is surely different across tracks and car classes, I wonder if you have your numbers right ?
If you can beat them at 100% on some tracks, you should be able to win at 85/90 on the other tracks you mentioned. The difference is never 50% imo.
And it seems to be personal too, because (you mentioned it as a 100% track) in Imola I have to turn their skill level down by 10-15% to get a chance for the podium/win. And this is in ALL car classes. Maybe I'm just bad at Imola...:rolleyes:

bluesky0870
20-11-2015, 07:54
While AI strength is surely different across tracks and car classes, I wonder if you have your numbers right ?
If you can beat them at 100% on some tracks, you should be able to win at 85/90 on the other teacks you mentioned. The difference is never 50% imo.
And it seems to be personal too, because (you mentioned it as a 100% track) in Imola I have to turn their skill level down by 10-15% to get a chance for the podium/win. And this is in ALL car classes. Maybe I'm just bad at Imola...:rolleyes:

You aren't that bad at Imola, at least you're not the only one who has to turn down the AI level there. :) I can also confirm your numbers/percentages. They are varying for me between ~70% skill level at tracks like Spa and Imola at one end and Brno ~ 90 at the other to meet roughly the same AI level with default setups in single player modes.

Invincible
20-11-2015, 08:02
I think it heavily depends on the driver too. Because I run Spa and Sakitto both on 95%. And to be honest, Sakitto is an easier win for me than Spa. But I'll give you Brno - 100 % isn't too hard there.

Neil Bateman
20-11-2015, 10:07
It is frustrating sometimes that they are slower on some tracks but then again so am i, sometimes it just seems to be the case they are slower on tracks i am faster on and faster on tracks i am slower on, if it gets too easy i will start at the back and make a pit stop as an added challenge.

Guess you could call it a workaround:)