PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk steering ratios?

Slimklim
19-11-2015, 15:55
I picked up a T300RS and got my modest little simulator setup built last week, but one thing I'm having trouble with is how the steering ratio is set up when it comes out of the box.

I made a couple posts on Reddit about it and was directed here: http://pcars.oscarolim.pt/ so I set up the game with his recommended global settings (although I turned the overall FFB back down to 75) and I set up the car with the "Bumps Plus - Classic" profile. The steering wheel still felt almost completely useless, going down a straight I could aggressively wiggle it back and forth and the car just keeps going straight, I'd input 90* of steering into a wide, 4th gear sweeper corner and simply soar off the outside of the track.

I was able to get around this by reducing the ratio to 360* on the T300RS and recalibrating the wheel in the game. This made the steering much more sensitive (without having to touch the steering sensitivity slider in-game) and I was actually able to complete a few events with it set up this way.

FWIW, I have some (limited) experience on a real track and I can tell you from experience that inputting as much steering angle as the game requires to get around a corner would very likely cause a serious accident on a real track. I actually did an event last weekend and even in the tightest chicanes I was turning maybe 110* off center at most.

Anyway, when I explained the settings I was using to people they acted like I had two heads for even thinking to touch the mode on the wheel, and made me feel like I was absolutely crazy for even having that experience in the first place. Then someone finally pointed out that you can adjust the steering ratio per-car in the car setup menu and you should leave the wheel mode alone.

I haven't had time to try that, but at least it finally makes sense to me as to how people are able to play this game without messing around with the mode on the wheel. What I'm curious of is why that isn't mentioned on Oscar's website or anywhere else in dicussions about set up for this game? Is that not something you guys mess with? If not, how are you able to negotiate tight 1st/2nd gear corners and get enough steering angle put in? Are you sawing at the wheel like mad men?

Dinos
19-11-2015, 16:27
I tried from gt3 cars the r8 and the McLaren, these are the only gt3 cars that you can steer the wheel all the way, all the other gt3 cars is very hard to turn the wheel in one move, they need two full rotations in order to steer all the way. I can't play that way. I search the menus for a setting but nothing.

inthebagbud
19-11-2015, 16:38
You need to look at the steering ratio the cars in their setup screen and reduce as required

Cant find original post but this is a transcript

This next part is courtesy of PTG Ty1er Ward. Remember you need to leave your TX base on 900. The Formula below is how you get true steering ratio change, without changing it physically on the base.

Come to a complete stop and bring up the telemetry HUD, look at the top where you see this: IIIIIIII^IIIIIIII. Rotate your wheel to the left until the arrow stops at the left side and note how many degrees you have turned the wheel. The Formula A will stop just a bit shy of 270 degrees. So we multiply that by 2 (full left and right) and we see that is has a default DOR of 540. Now go the the tuning menu and look at the default steering ratio, it is 10.9:1- Which means for every 10.9 degrees we turn the steering wheel the tires will move 1 degree and we also now know that the tires stop turning when the steering wheel rotates 270 degrees each way left and right, 540 in total -

So by dividing 540/10.9 we get 49.54 degrees and now we know what that what the tires are doing in degrees (24.77 degrees each way left and right, this value will never change in game). So we can reverse the math-

If I want a 440 DOR then 440/49.54= 8.8 (8.9:1 steering ratio)

If I want a 360 DOR then 360/49.54= 7.3 (7.3:1 steering ratio)

If I want a 270 DOR then 270/49.54= 5.4 (5.4:1 steering ratio)

Now, once you enter your new steering ratio in tuning for your car. SAVE IT. EXIT FREE PRACTICE. GO BACK TO FREE PRACTICE. Your TX will now do a FFB full lock based on your steering ratio in game. This is totally awesome and works!

Now hit the tracks. Enjoy Project Cars

There is a link in my sig to the Pcars Resources thread which has loads of stuff on setups and FFB

Slimklim
19-11-2015, 17:42
Awesome! Just the info I was looking for, thank you!

vahagn_hayk
19-11-2015, 18:09
is there any chance steering ratio will be fixed? so we don't have to exit session to make changes apply?

Dinos
19-11-2015, 20:43
It works, huge help. Thank you my friend. I have one more question, my wheel when I drive in straight line turns two three inches on the left side ( I can see that from the blue ring which is on the up-middle of my t300rs). Is there any way to fix this ???

Schnizz58
19-11-2015, 20:51
It works, huge help. Thank you my friend. I have one more question, my wheel when I drive in straight line turns two three inches on the left side ( I can see that from the blue ring which is on the up-middle of my t300rs). Is there any way to fix this ???
Did you calibrate your wheel?

Also don't confuse steering ratio and degrees of rotation. They are somewhat related but two different things.

inthebagbud
19-11-2015, 20:54
Glad it helped

I am not familiar with your wheel however if it oscillates left to right this can be associated with to many things to try and explain away with out any information on setup, so can you post your wheel settings

inthebagbud
19-11-2015, 20:55
Nearly ninjd , how you doing schnizz

Schnizz58
19-11-2015, 21:13
Nearly ninjd , how you doing schnizz
About an hour and a half from now I'm on vacation for a week and a half. So I'm doing pretty well. :) Yourself?

[Only problem is that I won't be playing PCars while I'm out of town.]

Slimklim
19-11-2015, 21:42
So I tried to change the steering ratio in game and it didn't take effect. The setting in the menu stayed where I put it but when I started a new session it didn't self test and the ratio didn't change.. Any ideas?

vahagn_hayk
19-11-2015, 23:00
STEERING RATIO, you have to change on the car either in your garage or in game session, then leave the session and go back again to take effect. (it is bugged/ glitched, does not work in the session changing steering ratio!)

vahagn_hayk
19-11-2015, 23:07
@DINOS, thrustmaster.com seems to be offline or problem or something, but I helped some friends few months back with T300/ T500 auto calibration feature.
(thrustmaster T300 or T500 auto calibration), that should take care of the problem, since the thrustmaster website is down, can't find the PDF, but they have it on their website.
hope this helps.

STEELJOCKEY
19-11-2015, 23:09
STEERING RATIO, you have to change on the car either in your garage or in game session, then leave the session and go back again to take effect. (it is bugged/ glitched, does not work in the session changing steering ratio!)

I take this is bugged with all platforms? I seem to notice changing the steering ratio has no effect on the Xbox, but haven't tried this solution. I'll give that a go and see if it works. Could be a pain for multiplayer though as it is not practical to back out and ask for another invite just to fix this.

inthebagbud
20-11-2015, 05:34
About an hour and a half from now I'm on vacation for a week and a half. So I'm doing pretty well. :) Yourself?

[Only problem is that I won't be playing PCars while I'm out of town.]

But that's a win win just think how excited you will be to get back from vacation to play Pcars ;)

inthebagbud
20-11-2015, 05:36

I always change in garage , it's a pain , but hey ho such is Pcars sometimes

Kinetix23
20-11-2015, 09:18
You need to look at the steering ratio the cars in their setup screen and reduce as required

This next part is courtesy of PTG Ty1er Ward. Remember you need to leave your TX base on 900. The Formula below is how you get true steering ratio change, without changing it physically on the base.

Come to a complete stop and bring up the telemetry HUD, look at the top where you see this: IIIIIIII^IIIIIIII. Rotate your wheel to the left until the arrow stops at the left side and note how many degrees you have turned the wheel. The Formula A will stop just a bit shy of 270 degrees. So we multiply that by 2 (full left and right) and we see that is has a default DOR of 540. Now go the the tuning menu and look at the default steering ratio, it is 10.9:1- Which means for every 10.9 degrees we turn the steering wheel the tires will move 1 degree and we also now know that the tires stop turning when the steering wheel rotates 270 degrees each way left and right, 540 in total -

So by dividing 540/10.9 we get 49.54 degrees and now we know what that what the tires are doing in degrees (24.77 degrees each way left and right, this value will never change in game). So we can reverse the math-

Now, once you enter your new steering ratio in tuning for your car. SAVE IT. EXIT FREE PRACTICE. GO BACK TO FREE PRACTICE. Your TX will now do a FFB full lock based on your steering ratio in game. This is totally awesome and works!

There is a link in my sig to the Pcars Resources thread which has loads of stuff on setups and FFB

this must be the most ANNOYING thing ever in a game.. that u actually have to change the steering ratios etc for EVERY car in the game is fucking ridiculous...

which would also explain when i got the game and started playing the Clio event the car handled pretty well but then went to to an SLS event and the car wouldn't steer even if you tried... which is part of the reason i ended up pushing my rig to one side and not playing again...

i understand the whole setting up some setting on the car for each race/track etc... but having to change something like the steering ratio just to be able to steer at all is bloody stupid. and then to top it off u have to do it in practice mode...

the game looks/is/feels amazing (when you can play) but this kind of thing is what pisses ppl off... at least me. not everyone has 20hrs a day to sit down and just set up each individual car and play for hours.

anyways is there at least a list with all the car steering ratios so some of us can just go to the settings and change it without having to go through the whole tedious annoying process of calculating each an every ratio??

Fight-Test
20-11-2015, 12:02
If ur wheel is not centered you need to turn wheel all the way to the left then right. Then put in middle. And press, start, select and mode on the base. This will reflash ur center position. More details in the manual.

Slimklim
20-11-2015, 13:23

Yeah, this is exactly what I did:

1.) Start practice session

2.) Come to full stop, bring up full HUD with steering angle indicator

3.) Turn wheel to full lock left, takes 450* of rotation

4.) Press Start

5.) Return to Pit

6.) Edit Tuning Setup

7.) Steering Ratio - Set to 7.9.1

8.)Save Changes

9.) Exit Free Practice Session

10.) Start New Free Practice Session

11.) Come to full stop

12.) Turn wheel to full lock left, takes 450* of rotation

So I leave the practice session, go into "My Garage" and the steering setting is displaying 7.9.1 so I save it again, to all track locations, go and start a new Free Practice session, still nothing, takes 450* to turn from center to full lock.

I was getting frustrated so I just used the wheel mode to drop the ratio to 540* total last night which worked, until the wheel glitched out and went back to 900* in the middle of qualifying and ruined my session. I had to leave the session, cycle the wheel through all its modes and recalibrate it. I'm starting to get really frustrated, I did not expect to have to spend over a week starting and stopping practice sessions just trying to make the car driveable. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be happening? Do the Pcars people offer actual technical support?

This is completely unrelated but I also made this discovery last night:

"Steering Sensitivity" at 50 is NOT linear, not even close. From center to half-lock takes a ton of steering input, and then from half-lock to full-lock all happens when the steering wheel itself is nearly locked up. Someone on Reddit told me 50 was linear so I thought I'd clear that up.

I was playing around with higher steering sensitivity last night, I still haven't gotten it quite right but I think my personal ideal settings might be something like "Steering Sensitivity - 75 Speed Sensitivity 25" (not my final numbers, I'm still messing with it) That will reduce some of the progressive effect of the steering so you don't have to make as much input for sweeping corners, and it will give you a little more precision in tight 1st/2nd gear corners because the wheel doesn't get to a point where it essentially snaps you to full lock. If I understand correctly, the Speed Sensitivity helps improve your stability at speed by basically dynamically reducing the steering sensitivity based on your speed. So using this in combination with a higher steering sensitivity gives you a more linear feel in the slower corners without making it excessively twitchy on the straights.

There's actually a decent chance your real-life car has a feature like that. My '95 E36 M3 has a "progressive rack" which they believed would improve stability on the highway, and I suppose it does, but it's parking lot behavior is reminiscent of a city bus because of it. I know some newer BMWs combine a progressive rack with "adaptive steering" that increases the ratio in parking lots so you don't have to crank the wheel like crazy, but at speed it's very slow off-center to improve highway stability.

Schnizz58
20-11-2015, 14:39
12.) Turn wheel to full lock left, takes 450* of rotation

So I leave the practice session, go into "My Garage" and the steering setting is displaying 7.9.1 so I save it again, to all track locations, go and start a new Free Practice session, still nothing, takes 450* to turn from center to full lock.
This is exactly what I was talking about above when I said don't confuse wheel lock and steering ratio. Steering ratio is how many degrees of steering input it takes to turn the tires 1 degree. Wheel lock is how many degrees you can turn the wheel. Two different things. In other words you can't measure steering ratio by turning the wheel lock-to-lock.

Slimklim
20-11-2015, 14:56
Dude I followed these instructions to a T. He said " Now, once you enter your new steering ratio in tuning for your car. SAVE IT. EXIT FREE PRACTICE. GO BACK TO FREE PRACTICE. Your TX will now do a FFB full lock based on your steering ratio in game. This is totally awesome and works!"

The wheel did not self test, there was no change in feel whatsoever whether I set the steering ratio value as low as it would go or left it where it was, which was like 13.9.1 or something.

inthebagbud
20-11-2015, 15:44
Dude I followed these instructions to a T. He said " Now, once you enter your new steering ratio in tuning for your car. SAVE IT. EXIT FREE PRACTICE. GO BACK TO FREE PRACTICE. Your TX will now do a FFB full lock based on your steering ratio in game. This is totally awesome and works!"

The wheel did not self test, there was no change in feel whatsoever whether I set the steering ratio value as low as it would go or left it where it was, which was like 13.9.1 or something.

There is no self test = not sure what you mean by this

There will be no change in feel = as this to do with now much you have to turn the wheel to turn car to get round a corner

If you do the exercise with the default steering ratio with the hud up and see how many turns of wheel it takes to go to full lock , change your ratio, save etc and then redo the exercise with the hud as long as you have lowered the ratio it should take less turns now to reach steering lock.

I would suggest at first making the changes in garage that way you can be sure they have saved - even I forget about the saving bug in car setup

Slimklim
20-11-2015, 15:56
When you said "Now, once you enter your new steering ratio in tuning for your car. SAVE IT. EXIT FREE PRACTICE. GO BACK TO FREE PRACTICE. Your TX will now do a FFB full lock based on your steering ratio in game. This is totally awesome and works! " in your original post I thought you meant that the wheel would do a self-test after making the change like it does when you first plug it into the PS4.

That's besides the point of what I'm saying though. I did it in the in-session menu and saved, exited and restarted the session. I also did it in the My Garage menu. IT DID NOT AFFECT HOW MUCH I HAVE TO TURN THE WHEEL TO GET AROUND A CORNER.

I don't know how else to say it. I can set the steering ratio to it's LOWEST VALUE. Driving the car around a corner in the game feels EXACTLY THE SAME as if I leave the steering ratio at it's default value. It has literally ZERO effect, like I changed nothing, but when I got back into the car setup menu, it does show the steering ratio that I set.

Again, and I'm honestly not trying to be rude, I'm just starting to feel like I'm taking crazy pills, and getting frustrated that this game I now have nearly $500 invested in is still virtually unplayable.

But let me restate one more time, regardless of what I set the steering ratio value to in the game, either in the pits during a session, saving, and restarting, OR in the My Garage menu, there is absolutely no change in the amount of steering input it takes to get around a corner.

dawgpaws11
20-11-2015, 16:19
This has been bugging me for a while but i think that i finally got something last night.. I run with a t500rs.. for months i have been trying to find out what the hell was going on with the ffb and how it changed everytime with different deadzones.. literally changing my in car ffb was like doing a set up change to the car.. none of the steering would be linear, ratios would change constantly, and even my pedals sensitivity would be thrown off.

I tried using all of the JS setting, different global settings, and grimey's too.

What i think that i figured out was that this - DO NOT add any SOP to the in car ffb. Using the SOP throws off all of the ffb. I not sure if the PS4 cant handle it or isnt correctly applied to the processed through the wheel, but once i took that out, i just left the in game ffb at the default (26,100,100,100,100,100) think that i may have the smoothing as JS says with 20 on the Fx and 10 of the Mz. You can adjust accordingly from there about what you want to feel. Steering ratios were correct and adjusted when making a setting change, and still had plenty of feeling as to what the back of the car was doing.

i think that may have zeroed out the linkage scales in global, but otherwise it is all the default setting - 48 ffb (i may up this but still playing around with it and seeing if i like to up the in car master or the global ffb). Also on the in car setting i made all the body setting 0 as well, but you may be able to play with that for more of a feeling which i haven't tried yet.

give it a shot and see if it works for you.. After finding this last night it was the first time that i really enjoyed racing in the game and didn't feel like something wasn't right.

Hopefully it works for you as it did for me last night

inthebagbud
20-11-2015, 16:27
But let me restate one more time, regardless of what I set the steering ratio value to in the game, either in the pits during a session, saving, and restarting, OR in the My Garage menu, there is absolutely no change in the amount of steering input it takes to get around a corner.

Slimklim

Not disbelieving you but have you tested it like this

If you do the exercise with the default steering ratio with the hud up and see how many turns of wheel it takes to go to full lock , change your ratio, save etc and then redo the exercise with the hud as long as you have lowered the ratio it should take less turns now to reach steering lock.

redruMKO
20-11-2015, 16:33
The answers here seem great and in-depth, and for the first few months I was reducing the Steering Ratios too, but now I leave them at default, and just increased my Steering Sensitivity up to 7O.

I'm sure its not as 'complete' but its a much easier fix.

Slimklim
20-11-2015, 16:52
Slimklim

Not disbelieving you but have you tested it like this

Yeah I did. I'll try dawgpaws11's suggestion of removing the SOP settings, I'm currently using Oscar's 66% profile that messes with all of those settings and it sounds like dawpaws11 was having a similar issue to me.

inthebagbud
20-11-2015, 17:16
Yeah I did. I'll try dawgpaws11's suggestion of removing the SOP settings, I'm currently using Oscar's 66% profile that messes with all of those settings and it sounds like dawpaws11 was having a similar issue to me.

but steering ratio has nothing to do with FFB, so when you do the test it takes the same number of turns of wheel to get full lock no matter what steering ratio you use

Slimklim
20-11-2015, 17:31
I feel like I'm being told two conflicting things here:

but steering ratio has nothing to do with FFB, so when you do the test it takes the same number of turns of wheel to get full lock no matter what steering ratio you use

Why? If I lower the ratio it should take less turns to reach steering lock right?

inthebagbud
20-11-2015, 17:38
I feel like I'm being told two conflicting things here:

Why? If I lower the ratio it should take less turns to reach steering lock right?

No in the first quote I was saying what it should do lowered the ratio it should take less turns now to reach steering lock

In the second quote I was asking you the question does it takes the same number of turns of wheel to get full lock no matter what steering ratio you use

Slimklim
20-11-2015, 17:41
does it takes the same number of turns of wheel to get full lock no matter what steering ratio you use

Correct, same number of turns lock to lock, no matter what I have the steering ratio set to.

inthebagbud
20-11-2015, 18:13
Ok here are two vids showing what should happen

I turn the wheel in 90 degree segments

The first is at 15.4.1 and as I turn wheel you see it takes about 5 90 degree movements to get too full lock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQpkuqJqfIM

The second video is at 6.0 and it takes about 2/3 90 movements to get to full lock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpZ1Yj-T1mc

I have no knowledge of your wheel so not sure if anything on your wheel settings could stop this from happening, maybe a post about your specific wheel may yield an answer.

Sorry couldn't be more help

Slimklim
20-11-2015, 18:38
I'm using a T300RS, maybe I need to contact their tech support, which of course is only open during business hours, exactly when I'm not at home playing video games.

I appreciate your help man, sounds like I've got something really weird going on.

dawgpaws11
20-11-2015, 20:11
Slimklim

My problem was exactly the same and had been making me furious for the past 2 months..

i was trying everything.. i would keep changing the steering ratio and in game, playing with steering sensitivity, ffb, wheel movement, deadzone, etc... and every time i would go out and cockpit/helmet view, the one on the screen would stop, and my wheel would just keep going all the way to the 1080 lock.. no matter what car or steering ratio.. then when it felt better with one car at a specific track, it would completely different when i changed tracks or cars.

i will say that the most frustrating thing about this whole thing is that there has been nothing from Thrustmasters or SMS about how the ffb works for the different consoles and how it is different from the PCs.. There are people on here that have put in so much amazing effort and work and i have read most of it trying to figure it out, but in reality no one knows for sure cause on a PS4 with all the different wheels, they all react differently.

Like i said, i found this last night kind of after complete frustration in trying to narrow each of the different effects down.. i always thought that SOP was something i would never want to get rid of since i do like to feel what the rear is doing, but i realized that my problems were with front of the car to i was just completely taking the rear out of the equation. I am starting to think that the SoP is more for those people that have rigs which has some movement to the seat or just PCs.. i dont really know.. kind of like how i am thinking that the linkage i zeroed out is for if you have a wheel without ffb to simulate your arm being attached.. why would i want a wheel with ffb to simulate my arm linkage and then dampen it? i want raw feel of the wheel as it would be in the car.. i dont know.. could be completely wrong there, but just my thoughts.

i hope it works.. i went online after and did some gt3 races and changed cars each time, and each worked great... set up changes made a difference for a change and my tires weren't burning up RED understeering everywhere.. Had no idea that the default setups on some of these cars were that good as they used to be undriveable to me.

Let me know

vahagn_hayk
21-11-2015, 17:21
Slimklim

My problem was exactly the same and had been making me furious for the past 2 months..

i was trying everything.. i would keep changing the steering ratio and in game, playing with steering sensitivity, ffb, wheel movement, deadzone, etc... and every time i would go out and cockpit/helmet view, the one on the screen would stop, and my wheel would just keep going all the way to the 1080 lock.. no matter what car or steering ratio.. then when it felt better with one car at a specific track, it would completely different when i changed tracks or cars.

i will say that the most frustrating thing about this whole thing is that there has been nothing from Thrustmasters or SMS about how the ffb works for the different consoles and how it is different from the PCs.. There are people on here that have put in so much amazing effort and work and i have read most of it trying to figure it out, but in reality no one knows for sure cause on a PS4 with all the different wheels, they all react differently.

Like i said, i found this last night kind of after complete frustration in trying to narrow each of the different effects down.. i always thought that SOP was something i would never want to get rid of since i do like to feel what the rear is doing, but i realized that my problems were with front of the car to i was just completely taking the rear out of the equation. I am starting to think that the SoP is more for those people that have rigs which has some movement to the seat or just PCs.. i dont really know.. kind of like how i am thinking that the linkage i zeroed out is for if you have a wheel without ffb to simulate your arm being attached.. why would i want a wheel with ffb to simulate my arm linkage and then dampen it? i want raw feel of the wheel as it would be in the car.. i dont know.. could be completely wrong there, but just my thoughts.

i hope it works.. i went online after and did some gt3 races and changed cars each time, and each worked great... set up changes made a difference for a change and my tires weren't burning up RED understeering everywhere.. Had no idea that the default setups on some of these cars were that good as they used to be undriveable to me.

Let me know

so what are you settings with linkage and SoP?
or did you ZERO all values?

dawgpaws11
21-11-2015, 22:01
All my settings for the SoP and Body in car ffb settings are zero.. in the global, the linkage and linkage dampening are now zero as well

Tiberius_85
09-12-2015, 15:25
Hi Slimklim, if you are still watching the thread, I just observed something: I can feel the steering lock with my T300 only when the car is moving and not at standstill. Did you do your lock-to-lock tests slowly moving or completely standing?