PDA

View Full Version : Frame rate issues and PS4 fan noise

Photonmonkey
25-11-2015, 14:21
I have battled with this for a while and I am sure that the heat issues are affecting my frame rate on the PS4. Even when PCARSis in the menus my fans can be imitating a 747 coming in to land. I did Hoover the thing out the other day and for a short period I am sure the noise and even the frame rate had improved but alas yesterday the fans were back up to their old tricks again. My PS4 is not even 12 months old and only PCARS installed on it. Any tips on cooling, PS4 currently sat on a shelf next to wall mounted TV?

I did think it was just because PCARS pushes the consoles to the limit but have seen people on here advising they don't get the issues :(

BTW The issues with frame rate are mainly on replays but they look really jerky and that is only in practice with one car on track. I just kind of got used to it and just wondered if it was that bad anyway! I know there are still issues with various points on the track where the cars seem to 'teleport' a few feet but this is different.

Liquid7394
25-11-2015, 16:01
Is there enough space behind the PS4?

I think I remember seeing people complaining about jerky replays.

Photonmonkey
25-11-2015, 17:10
Is there enough space behind the PS4?

I think I remember seeing people complaining about jerky replays.

That's a good point there is hardly any space behind the PS4 just enough room for cables to come out and then 'wall' it's not enclosed or anything but maybe I need some more airflow around it.

finbaek
25-11-2015, 18:20
I have battled with this for a while and I am sure that the heat issues are affecting my frame rate on the PS4. Even when PCARSis in the menus my fans can be imitating a 747 coming in to land. I did Hoover the thing out the other day and for a short period I am sure the noise and even the frame rate had improved but alas yesterday the fans were back up to their old tricks again. My PS4 is not even 12 months old and only PCARS installed on it. Any tips on cooling, PS4 currently sat on a shelf next to wall mounted TV?

I did think it was just because PCARS pushes the consoles to the limit but have seen people on here advising they don't get the issues :(

BTW The issues with frame rate are mainly on replays but they look really jerky and that is only in practice with one car on track. I just kind of got used to it and just wondered if it was that bad anyway! I know there are still issues with various points on the track where the cars seem to 'teleport' a few feet but this is different.

Yes, Ive got the first wave PS4 and the fan noise is so annoying especially in the tuning menus. What I would like to know is, that those who have the latest PS4 model, cuh-1200 series, are you guys enjoying silence. In other words, is the new model quieter in menus in Pcars? Thanks.

Replay quality: I think it has nothing to do with PS4 heat levels. Blame the programming. The most important think is driving, thank god there is no janky tearing.

JudgeNutmeg
28-11-2015, 12:19
I had a first issue PS4 and had never noticed too much fan noise until I bought Project Cars, then I got the jet engine impressions from the fan whilst playing. About a week later my PS4 developed a minor issue with what sounded like a component in the PSU ( probably just coincidence) It started to make feint noises while powered off, I left this for a while but as i was coming to the end of my warranty I decided to speak with Game and they gave me a brand new one, which is the newer model. ( I must also say that I see a lot of complaints about Game in the UK but their customer service was top notch for me, replacing a 10 month old PS4 with a brand new one, no problems at all)
The new one hardly makes a sound to be honest, a vast difference to the previous one I had.

rillelives
14-12-2015, 07:20
First wave PS4 suffer from cheap and badly applied thermal paste. Replaced it myself and the result was unbelievable. From hairdryer noise to basically completely silent in ALL games, all circumstances...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M73N712a3WM

finbaek
16-12-2015, 17:12
First wave PS4 suffer from cheap and badly applied thermal paste. Replaced it myself and the result was unbelievable. From hairdryer noise to basically completely silent in ALL games, all circumstances...

I'm so gonna do this! Thank you!

2stains
17-12-2015, 00:40
I'm too scared %-(

finbaek
30-12-2015, 18:22

And I did this BUT still the Project cars tuning screen turns my old PS4 into a jet engine.
Actually I did this twice, as in a pc store I asked the guy behind the desk to recommend me a good thermal paste. The first paste had no affect in silence.
The second thermal paste, the same as in the video, also did not have any effect in desibel level (about 70db at loudest) at the most demanding screen, the tuning screen.
So the new wave PS4, cuh-1200 series might do the trick. But at the moment I'm not going to invest into new PS4.

If you still have warranty in your PS4 I recommend not to open it by yourself. Hand it to Sony.

Positives.. Now I can disassemble and assemble my PS4 at any day.

Happy new year all!

rillelives
01-01-2016, 19:03
I am sorry it didn't work out for you. Mine is still whisper quiet just going one notch or step over idle fan level during heavy load.
I used the arctic something mx2 paste. I cleaned the internals and as well bent the thingie on the back plate to get more preassure on the cooler on the chip...

finbaek
02-01-2016, 23:55
I am sorry it didn't work out for you. Mine is still whisper quiet just going one notch or step over idle fan level during heavy load.
I used the arctic something mx2 paste. I cleaned the internals and as well bent the thingie on the back plate to get more preassure on the cooler on the chip...

Now this is turning into the dark side..
Sorry this late answer. My PS4's heat sink is completely broken, actually in two pieces. That's why the other 'right' paste didn't eventually work. The h.s. must have corrupted because of ??? I used medical cleaning alcohol to cleanse the first paste off which was almost burnt into the h.s. Used also very sensitive sand paper.. Could that be the reason..?
I'm currently waiting for new base and heat sink. We'll see what happens in a week or two.. *sigh* Still unbelieveable, cut in two pieces:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44404665/_Uusimmat/20160101_131811.jpg

The picture is violent, but there was no overheating in my PS4. I was able to Netflix, browse and play indies but big games caused my PS4 seriously "lift off".

Oh lord that picture! :D

rillelives
03-01-2016, 09:26
Now this is turning into the dark side..

Oh lord that picture! :D

OMG! What is that? Must be a factory fault.

Mine actually went louder on fan noise level in Netflix before paste replacement compared to how it sounds now even in heavy games like PC cars, battlefront etc...

Best of luck repairing it!

finbaek
14-01-2016, 18:49
All cool now! I can say that with the new heat sink and base, my trusty old PS4 has a new very quiet life like never before :)
Maybe there was a factory flaw in the cooler + the default thermal paste was bad quality.

Photonmonkey
02-02-2016, 10:02
Sorry to resurrect the thread but I was being driven nuts by the noise coming from my PS4 which is barely 12 months old. The thing goes into take off mode even during the car selection screen and even in practice mode on a dry track only one car!

Anyway, bit the bullet and voided my remaining warranty and cracked it open (not literally) I checked the fan and heat sink fins and there was a dust build up so cleaned all that off and hoovered the internals. Put back together and absolutely no difference, still sounds like a tornado ripping up my living room!

My question is, 1. Does the thermal paste change really help and 2. How easy is it to do? Not even sure how the heat sink is secured to the processor in a PS4? This is driving me nuts as when I am playing on an evening and my baby daughter is asleep in the room I cannot even hear the game over the fan noise! If I select a track with wet weather it's even worse and again that's just in practice with one car on track.

maxpainpayne
02-02-2016, 10:59
this problem is similar to running windows bootcamp on a macbook computer.

the macbook runs perfectly normal running apple programs. however when you switch to some windows programs, the mac computer runs terrible and high fan speeds with overheating.

this is not a problem with your ps4 but a problem with the game running on it. I pretty sure sms knows this as this is not the first mention, but will they comment? Updates are supposed to include fixes for compatibility issues causing overheating; this is supposed to be #1 priority for legitimate software developers. because, not fixing overheating bugs will build a reputation for destroying your consumers gaming console with liaze-fare software programming.

don't go opening your ps4 system up voiding your warranty, while there is actually a faulty software issue that is eating up too much processing power.

This happens all the time, some may claim the game is too powerful for the ps4, but this is totally not true (they may say this as an excuse because it is more work to be done in order to make game fully compatible with ps4 {corner cutting instead}) . racing simulators like this could run fine on a last gen ps3 with the right expertise behind programming.

imagine a compact car as your ps4: the primary objective is to ride to the store. While the car runs perfectly fine with a few unwanted passengers, 15 passengers in a compact car will tend to overwork that car. So it is not a good idea to try to self fix a ps4 while you continue to run the faulty software program that is the root cause of the overheating problems.

folks remember the ps4 warranty is there for this reason. if sony allows a game developer's game to burn up your ps4, it is covered under warranty. take it up with sony then hopefully they will correct these issues with bondai then sms.

BigDad
02-02-2016, 12:59
Just curious SMS or someone in the know , have you any comment on this being a software issue ?

Sankyo
02-02-2016, 13:19
pCARS pushing the console hardware to its limits because of having a very complex physics and graphics engine. I don't really understand why there would be a software issue? And what kind of software issue would result in the fan being at maximum power all the time?

Liquid7394
02-02-2016, 14:03
You just answered you're own question. Pcars pushing console hardware to it's limits causes the fan to run at maximum power. Some people think the game isn't optimised enough for console.

ports
02-02-2016, 14:15
I have a day 1 ps4 and i've never heard my fan kick in when using project cars and i play it daily, The only game that gets my fan running is bf4 and only in 64 player servers I'd like to know why people have different results when we are all running the same hardware .

BigDad
02-02-2016, 14:26
Same ^^^ . My fan only runs hard and loud in the tune screens in the garage of this game / sim , no where else , and i live in Queensland Australia and its been hot , 38 degrees C .most days and its only this game / sim and only in tune screens?
My ps3 on the other hand sounds like a vacuum all day long even in winter when we're freezing our butts off at 20 degrees C .

Liquid7394
02-02-2016, 14:48
My fan speeds up a little on various games, as it should, but Pcars is by far the worst offender. At times the fan speeds up a lot while I'm simply in the garage doing nothing, and rain is by far the worst.

Sankyo
02-02-2016, 15:20
You just answered you're own question. Pcars pushing console hardware to it's limits causes the fan to run at maximum power. Some people think the game isn't optimised enough for console.
There's a difference between pushing the hardware to the max and a software issue. If the hardware cannot be pushed to the max because the cooling cannot cope with it, Sony needs to notify software devs about that so that CPU and GPU can only be used, say, 80%.

Software should be able to use all power available, if that gives hardware issues then there's something wrong with the hardware, not with the software.

Since not every PS4 owner has the issue, however, my bet is that it's a local hardware problem, and not something wrong with the game that is causing problems on some systems but not on others.

maxpainpayne
02-02-2016, 15:53
There's a difference between pushing the hardware to the max and a software issue. If the hardware cannot be pushed to the max because the cooling cannot cope with it, Sony needs to notify software devs about that so that CPU and GPU can only be used, say, 80%.

Software should be able to use all power available, if that gives hardware issues then there's something wrong with the hardware, not with the software.

Since not every PS4 owner has the issue, however, my bet is that it's a local hardware problem, and not something wrong with the game that is causing problems on some systems but not on others.

pushing hardware to the max and software issues is considered in the same category for this instance imo.

imagine jumping into my car pressing the accelerator to the floor causing a wreck; we can't just assume the cause of wreckage was hardware failure. well, thats pushing hardware to the max, right? oh, since sony allowed them to go full speed on the hardware then eventually ps4 catches fire. i feel that it should be responsibility on both ends but ultimately we should look at sony for a solution. or put the game back in, turn up the volume to mask the noisy fan and play until you see smoke coming out of your ps4 lol.

Liquid7394
02-02-2016, 17:11

Who said the cooling can't cope with maxing out the hardware? The fan speeds up to cope with it, people don't like the noise. It isn't a hardware issue at all, Pcars causes the PS4 to run at hotter temps due it maxing out the hardware. There are other games that don't cause the fan to speed up drastically.

Sankyo
02-02-2016, 17:29
pushing hardware to the max and software issues is considered in the same category for this instance imo.

imagine jumping into my car pressing the accelerator to the floor causing a wreck; we can't just assume the cause of wreckage was hardware failure. well, thats pushing hardware to the max, right? oh, since sony allowed them to go full speed on the hardware then eventually ps4 catches fire. i feel that it should be responsibility on both ends but ultimately we should look at sony for a solution. or put the game back in, turn up the volume to mask the noisy fan and play until you see smoke coming out of your ps4 lol.
I'm sorry, but the car analogy does not make sense at all. Mechanically/technically a car can sustain running with the accelerator floored without breaking down. Crashing because driving too fast for the road you're on has nothing to do with the car not being able to cope with the throttle being floored all the time.

Who said the cooling can't cope with maxing out the hardware? The fan speeds up to cope with it, people don't like the noise. It isn't a hardware issue at all, Pcars causes the PS4 to run at hotter temps due it maxing out the hardware. There are other games that don't cause the fan to speed up drastically.
So you're saying that games should only use the hardware to the extent that the cooling fan doesn't come on. That limits games to use roughly 60% of the consoles hardware capabilities. Am I the only one who thinks that that's just silly?

ChrisK
02-02-2016, 20:08
I rarely get fan noise during the game. In fact, I can't recall the last time it happened.
But my fan goes berserk in the menus, and I'm not the only one. Explain that ! lol

maxpainpayne
03-02-2016, 06:43
I'm sorry, but the car analogy does not make sense at all. Mechanically/technically a car can sustain running with the accelerator floored without breaking down. Crashing because driving too fast for the road you're on has nothing to do with the car not being able to cope with the throttle being floored all the time.

nope, lets forget the car analogy, I shall explain differently.

suppose you buy a video game. right? you play the game but it behaves abnormal with very loud fan noises. you then contact the game developer. the moderator tells you that "maybe its a hardware fault with you ps4". my question is how can we find out for sure if it is in fact a hardware problem?

Here you have multiple people complaining about loud ps4 fan noises caused when running Project Cars. you are basically telling us to just deal with the problem ourselves? I mean, you don't think it is a possible overheating bug to have devs look in to for a patch fix?

I think it is about time for Sony to take a closer look at the quality in software development because constant high running fans is surely not energy efficient and could possibly overheat one day. The loud noise could be normal but who knows, can't seem to find any solid answers here.

thegt500
03-02-2016, 07:42
My PS4 is barely one year old, it is in an open unit with about 10" of air gap around it, plus its raised up on HiFi component isolation cones (cuts unwanted vibration and helps airflow).
From day one of pCARS I've noticed the fan kicks into warp speed whilst in the car tuning screen ? I can't understand why a virtually static screen would cause the fan to go crazy, whilst when actually driving, it barely spins ?
I only have three games on the PS4 : pCARS, Drive club and GTA V. DC has by far the most GPU hungry graphics yet I can play it for several hours without even hearing the fan cut in, where as if I start up pCARS with a 'cold' PS4, go to the car selection / tuning menu, the fan immediately goes flat out !
This has to be an issue with the pCARS software, not a PS4 hardware one. I can Netflix, play GTA or DC for hours without issue so it has to be the game causing the fan to go into overheat protect mode.

BigDad
03-02-2016, 07:51
^^This^^ but not sure about the DC GPU hungry part but everything else i have the same .
Maybe the Devs could look at it ??

Photonmonkey
03-02-2016, 08:12
My PS4 is barely one year old, it is in an open unit with about 10" of air gap around it, plus its raised up on HiFi component isolation cones (cuts unwanted vibration and helps airflow).
From day one of pCARS I've noticed the fan kicks into warp speed whilst in the car tuning screen ? I can't understand why a virtually static screen would cause the fan to go crazy, whilst when actually driving, it barely spins ?
I only have three games on the PS4 : pCARS, Drive club and GTA V. DC has by far the most GPU hungry graphics yet I can play it for several hours without even hearing the fan cut in, where as if I start up pCARS with a 'cold' PS4, go to the car selection / tuning menu, the fan immediately goes flat out !
This has to be an issue with the pCARS software, not a PS4 hardware one. I can Netflix, play GTA or DC for hours without issue so it has to be the game causing the fan to go into overheat protect mode.

This is what I mean it doesnt make any sense that some of us have PS4's that are hardly 'old' and yet the fans are blowing hard in certain situations when you wouldnt expect it. I have this problem in the menus and when driving, this is not even in a race, this is in practice with one car on track. The new Banochbrae track for instance, select a car fine weather in practice and my fans are spinning up like mad afte a couple of seconds.

The issue I have is that I can understand that PCARS pushes my console to the limit and hence the fan noise. I could even live with that but its the fact that this happens in the menus, surely the game is hardly using much power to display the menus and the fact that some PS4 users are stating that their consoles hardly break a sweat at any point playing the game....why?

I am not even saying it is a software issue, I just cannot undertsand why some get it some dont and as I have pointed out my PS4 is not even 12 months old and I only play PCARS. No other games even installed and surely the fact that I am using the digital copy should not affect this?

Liquid7394
03-02-2016, 12:26
So you're saying that games should only use the hardware to the extent that the cooling fan doesn't come on. That limits games to use roughly 60% of the consoles hardware capabilities. Am I the only one who thinks that that's just silly?
No, I didn't say that all. The only thing that's silly is you reading stuff that isn't there. I said "people don't like the noise", I, and I assume others, have no issue with the fan coming on because it's supposed to, but some people are bothered or worried by the amount of noise that the fan produces while Pcars is running.

BigDad
03-02-2016, 12:59
^^^And if it could be reduced in the menus , well then great .

Liquid7394
03-02-2016, 13:49
The menus make the fan spin faster than racing in dry weather for me.

Sankyo
03-02-2016, 14:45
Does Sony specify minimum free space around the console? Do all of you have enough space around the PS4 for ventilation (>10 cm)? Could you share pics? :) Also, how warm is the room the PS4 is sitting in, or is it standing close to other heat-producing devices?

BigDad
03-02-2016, 22:46
Man this is like a rhetorical question , keeps going around in circles.
It's only on pCars and only in the garage menu's for me ! No other games . My ps4 has heaps of games in the hdd and I've got another 10 on disc and still has heaps of storage left . I rebuild datadbase at least once a month .
Yes my place is hot but that isn't the point as i can play any of my other games constantly without the fan running up like it does with pcars .
I can live with it but was just thinking support for this game is coming to an end soon and was hoping to get all the little bugs that bother me out there .
Is it possible to ask a Dev ? Maybe they could just look into the fan running high in the garage . By the garage i mean pressing options and going to tune the car . Within two to three seconds the fan starts up and within two to three seconds after closing garage it stops .
Thanks anyway .
Edit . Just read your post again Remco lol storage i was thinking storage space . Yeah mine is just sitting on top of my cabinet on one side of my tv .

Tiberius_85
04-02-2016, 10:31
Just a short notice that I have the same problem. The fan sometimes runs on the highest level in menus or when the game is paused in a race. While actually racing (which should need more computational power than a menu!), the fan goes back to normal levels. This certainly feels like a bug.

PS4 is standing next to TV with enough space for air circulation, no problems in other games.

Liquid7394
04-02-2016, 13:49
Has anyone tried putting their PS4 in their fridge, it definitely isn't an issue with Project CARS.

Sankyo
04-02-2016, 15:04
The devs are looking into menu issue.

BigDad
05-02-2016, 00:51
Thank you Remco .

BigDad
12-03-2016, 11:25
So , any word from the Devs on the fan going crazy in the tuning pages .
Still only this game and only in tune menus . No issues when there is a full grid in rain even on long races .
I've recently deleted everything and reinstalled everything but the fan still cranks hard , 3- 4 seconds after entering tune pages it starts and 3-4 seconds after exiting them it stops .
I've started using Jussi's suspension calculator and sitting in these pages for a while as i get around the calculator and my ps4 scares me .
Please , there must be something going on .

lancashirelad
12-03-2016, 11:55
I've noticed this on my ps4. In car setup menu the fan goes ballistic. My ps4 is well ventilated on a shelf on it's own. I live in uk so definitely not weather related.

DavidCore89
12-03-2016, 12:00
I had this issue on my launch PS4 and assumed getting the CUH 1216 model with supposedly quieter fan would reduce the fan noise in the tuning screen or when viewing liveries, but it doesn't make any difference at all.

It seems to be only when I go from main menu into garage, select car and tune.

It doesn't happen when tuning at a race weekend, only when you go past viewing the rotating car and into the setup, so perhaps the tuning screen isn't actually the cause.

Fre.Mo
13-03-2016, 08:17
No fan extra ventillation noise for me. I have a day one ps4 and the digital pcars edition...

FS7
13-03-2016, 18:54
I have PCars disc version, my PS4 sounds like a jet taking off if I stay too long in menus & setup screen, and also when I drive in the wet. In F1 2015 I don't problems in menus but the PS4's fan makes a lot of noise when I drive in the wet.

BigDad
20-03-2016, 11:20
The devs are looking into menu issue.
A month and a half later , any news ?

BigDad
21-03-2016, 13:05
Beating a dead horse .

BigDad
16-04-2016, 14:51
I've been playing Dirt since release on console but today i jumped over to pCars quickly just to compare ffb and went to the garage to check settings and boom my ps4 started to take off (well it sounded like it would ) . I haven't heard my fan go like that once playing Dirt .
Are the Devs really just leaving this like this ? Surely they can replicate this . From any screen press options , go to garage , edit tune . Fan goes wild .
Please check it out .
Ps4 , disc copy , fully updated version 10 ,(although it has done this since release) , all DLC , Fanatec 911 GT2 and CSR Elite pedals ,USB hub with wheel , keyboard , headset and portable hardrive connected . Well ventilated Ps4 . My room could be 16 degrees in aircon and the fan will start as soon as garage is entered .

wyldanimal
17-04-2016, 03:28
I've been playing Dirt since release on console but today i jumped over to pCars quickly just to compare ffb and went to the garage to check settings and boom my ps4 started to take off (well it sounded like it would ) . I haven't heard my fan go like that once playing Dirt .
Are the Devs really just leaving this like this ? Surely they can replicate this . From any screen press options , go to garage , edit tune . Fan goes wild .
Please check it out .
Ps4 , disc copy , fully updated version 10 ,(although it has done this since release) , all DLC , Fanatec 911 GT2 and CSR Elite pedals ,USB hub with wheel , keyboard , headset and portable hardrive connected . Well ventilated Ps4 . My room could be 16 degrees in aircon and the fan will start as soon as garage is entered .

Just another thought. Are we sure it's the FANs and not the Disc?
Music In the Menus might Spin up the Disc to play the Music?
a slight imbalance in the disc would make it Sound like it's taking off?

BigDad
17-04-2016, 05:17
Nah it's the fan. I turn music off but the disc might be spinning but it still doesn't sound like it does in tuning menus.
When the Console starts up the disc spins so I know the difference between disc spin and fan.
I wish it was the disc spinning but definitely not.

BigDad
01-05-2016, 14:17
Just to clarify procedure for fan speed issue it only happens if you press the options button and enter the garage from one of the home screens not if you tune the car at the track .
It turns out this fan issue also occurs in the photo mode screens .