PDA

View Full Version : My experience with a busted T300RS

seamastergmt
25-11-2015, 22:35
Hi all,

I purchased A T300RS specifically to play PCars now and GT7 later. The wheel itself has good FFB. The pedals aren't great but they work. I think they have a fraction of the fidelity of Fanatec V3 Pedals. All things were going well till the T300 broke after about 3 months. It would not calibrate. It just violently slammed itself to the stops on each side.

I was going to call Thrustmaster directly but they are only available in the USA when I am at work. So, I sent them an e-mail. To their credit they got back to me within 24 hours. In my original email I described what the problem was. Regardless the tech needed to see what was up. So, Day one I sent my email, day two I get a response asking me for a video of the problem, day three I send my video, day four I get a response saying "Yep its broke", we are going to send you an RMA and return label. FIVE days later I get my RMA and label. Next is the slow boat to Canada. After it got to the repair center I called to get a status update, the tech said it would just be a couple of days to turn around and get unit back to me. That was three weeks ago.

Needless to say I am not happy about being without my wheel for what will end up being a month or more.

I realize that things happen and toys break but it seems like this is less than an isolated problem for the T300RS. At the worst I expected Thrustmaster to throw my unit in the repair pile and send me a refurbed unit. I didn't think they would make me wait this long.

I am taking some of my hard earned money and buying a Fanatec setup on Friday.

The T300 can be a great unit if Thrustmaster can hammer out reliability issues. For most people the T300 is the only viable option for a higher end gaming unit. Thrustmaster needs to work on quality issues so the thousands of players who can't afford a Fanatec setup can rely on a good unit to play on.

After having said all of that I would like to add that if I was in a different position and could not afford Fanatec, I would still take the chance on Thrustmaster. Of the available mid level priced wheels out there, they are the best. I have tried the Madcatz for Xbox One, Logitech G920 and Logitech DFGT. The DFGT was good at the time.

Cant wait to get my Fanatec...

My experience is exactly that, mine. It may be that other users have had much better experiences with Thrustmaster IT and repair center. I posted this to allow people to see what could happen with their Thrustmaster product. I have not played PCars in nearly a month due to my bad experience. This is a cautionary tale to those that may have similar issues pop up on their T300RS. There may be nothing anyone can do to make their experience any better than mine but at least some may be prepared for what to expect.

I hope this post is helpful.

UPDATE :12-11-15, Thrustmaster still has not fixed my T300rs, when I called them this morning they said they had no new updates. I explained that I am less than pleased. No one should have to wait 6 weeks for the repair of a $400 wheel. I got an email an hour later saying that my wheel is 5th in line for repair. Thank goodness I got the Fanatec...

UPDATE 12/24/15: Last week I got a notice from Thrustmaster about my wheel, they said they were sending me a replacement. It took them 7 weeks ( I think) to figure out that my base needed to be replaced. I just received it today. As I now own and run a Fanatec setup I have yet to update firmware on the base and test it. They want me to contact them to let them know how it worked...

As I have said before, I realize that there is a failure rate associated with any electronic device. I am not unhappy that it broke, I am unhappy with how long it took them to rectify the situation. If it had been out of my possession for a few weeks I would have been a lot less annoyed. The wheel itself worked great till it broke. Thrustmaster can make a good product, they just cannot get it right when it comes to repairs.

vahagn_hayk
25-11-2015, 22:52
go FANATEC, Fanatec FTW! you will not be disappointed, I have had Fanatec as far as i can remember, since 2008/2009, never been disappointed! along with family members all on Fanatec! good luck and have fun with the Fantec setup!

PS: which setup did you get?

PJB04
25-11-2015, 23:01
Have had a fanatec gt2 for a couple of years now and it is still working perfectly.
I also have the old 911s that still works.

seamastergmt
25-11-2015, 23:07
go FANATEC, Fanatec FTW! you will not be disappointed, I have had Fanatec as far as i can remember, since 2008/2009, never been disappointed! along with family members all on Fanatec! good luck and have fun with the Fantec setup!

PS: which setup did you get?

I am going to get the V2 base, V3 Pedals and the new CSL wheel. There is a Black Friday deal from Fanatec...

Haiden
26-11-2015, 14:34
I've been lucky with my TM wheels. I've a TX for about two years and never had any problems. My T300 is about six months old, and works great. I mostly race on PS4 now, and already decided that if the T300 fails, I'm getting a Fanatec setup. Although, I'm pretty sure I'll end up upgraded sometime next year, anyway. :)

I am going to get the V2 base, V3 Pedals and the new CSL wheel. There is a Black Friday deal from Fanatec...

Isn't the CSL an Xb1 only wheel?

RomKnight
26-11-2015, 20:29
Nope: http://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheels/csl-steering-wheel-p1-for-xbox-one-eu.html

Haiden
27-11-2015, 13:14
Nope: http://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheels/csl-steering-wheel-p1-for-xbox-one-eu.html

It says the spec of the base remain the same, which I guess is fine for PC, but aren't you going to be missing some PS4 specific buttons?

seamastergmt
27-11-2015, 14:22
I've been lucky with my TM wheels. I've a TX for about two years and never had any problems. My T300 is about six months old, and works great. I mostly race on PS4 now, and already decided that if the T300 fails, I'm getting a Fanatec setup. Although, I'm pretty sure I'll end up upgraded sometime next year, anyway. :)

Isn't the CSL an Xb1 only wheel?

No, the CSL wheel is engineered for Xbox One but also works with PC, PS3 and PS4.

seamastergmt
27-11-2015, 14:25
Fanatec is the only company I know of that is making a multi platform setup. I play games on both platforms regularly and am considering getting a new PC to handle racing there too. The buttons on the CSL may be specific to Xbox but it is a worthy tradeoff to not have to change out wheels to play different games.

Haiden
27-11-2015, 19:24
Fanatec is the only company I know of that is making a multi platform setup. I play games on both platforms regularly and am considering getting a new PC to handle racing there too. The buttons on the CSL may be specific to Xbox but it is a worthy tradeoff to not have to change out wheels to play different games.

I agree. I have a TX and T300, but don't like swapping bases, which is why I'm considering the Fanatec base. They also have a wider selection of rims to choose from and more customization options.

rams1de
27-11-2015, 20:04
Ignore- misread a post

Redslayer
27-11-2015, 23:52
Just be prepared. Fanatec's support is completely random. Sometimes its good, sometimes they tell you that having to push your left paddle shifter perfectly in the middle while the right one can be pressed anywhere is working as intended and tell you to **** off essentially.

That literally just happened to my friend 3 weeks ago, and his wheel was less than a week old lol. He's already said he'll never buy another Fanatec again. My CSR has been great, but my last run in with customer service was absolutely terrible. However I did have my wheel sent out, and back to me within a couple weeks. Just FYI, you have to pay the shipping and Fanatec reimburses you only if they can't find a way to void your warranty lol.

Haiden
28-11-2015, 00:46
Just be prepared. Fanatec's support is completely random. Sometimes its good, sometimes they tell you that having to push your left paddle shifter perfectly in the middle while the right one can be pressed anywhere is working as intended and tell you to **** off essentially.

That literally just happened to my friend 3 weeks ago, and his wheel was less than a week old lol. He's already said he'll never buy another Fanatec again. My CSR has been great, but my last run in with customer service was absolutely terrible. However I did have my wheel sent out, and back to me within a couple weeks. Just FYI, you have to pay the shipping and Fanatec reimburses you only if they can't find a way to void your warranty lol.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

seamastergmt
28-11-2015, 03:14

Thanks for the input. I am always a little nervous about buying a product from a company that has its base out of country. Thrustmaster is in Canada, look what that got me. All I can do is hope my Fanatec parts work for a long time without trouble. Anything you buy these days is going to run a fine line between durability and how much the manufacturer can cut corners to save money. In this case though, I believe Fanatec learned from the problems they seemed to have had with the V1 base and have upped the quality on the V2. As always, you are going to have a percentage of failures in any production run. In a perfect world a manufacturer builds every unit to be bullet proof so every unit that goes out works perfectly for a lifetime. There is just no way to do this without running up costs to an impossible to afford level. Everything I have read so far indicates that Fanatec has really beefed up the V2. I haven't seen anything on the internet to make me believe that the V2 is a problem child. My T300RS already has several videos on YouTube showing users with the same problem as me. There are a couple of bad Fanatec units out there but to my knowledge they seem to be few and far between.

Redslayer
28-11-2015, 15:21
Thanks for the input. I am always a little nervous about buying a product from a company that has its base out of country. Thrustmaster is in Canada, look what that got me. All I can do is hope my Fanatec parts work for a long time without trouble. Anything you buy these days is going to run a fine line between durability and how much the manufacturer can cut corners to save money. In this case though, I believe Fanatec learned from the problems they seemed to have had with the V1 base and have upped the quality on the V2. As always, you are going to have a percentage of failures in any production run. In a perfect world a manufacturer builds every unit to be bullet proof so every unit that goes out works perfectly for a lifetime. There is just no way to do this without running up costs to an impossible to afford level. Everything I have read so far indicates that Fanatec has really beefed up the V2. I haven't seen anything on the internet to make me believe that the V2 is a problem child. My T300RS already has several videos on YouTube showing users with the same problem as me. There are a couple of bad Fanatec units out there but to my knowledge they seem to be few and far between.

It aught to be for over 600 bucks just for the wheel its self lol.

Sadly my problem comes with the fact that because of how my last round with Fanatec support went, I don't trust the company enough to spend that kind of money on only the wheel itself. Catch 22 for me, since I don't really want to give up my load cell either. So I'm going to ride my CSR into the ground before I decide on a new wheel.

Unless Fanatec comes out with something in the CSR price range that works on XBO and PS4, like the CSR did on ps3 and 360 that is. 250 bucks, I feel like I could risk, since my CSR has never actually broke, but 600+? Not so much.

Long story short, my CSR starting making clicking noises, and from a video Fanatec determined that my wheel, which was under warranty, wasn't covered because the axle was broken and that can only happen from mistreatment. After weeks of arguing with them, it turned out to be loose plastics, which they said wasn't a warranty issue, and tried to refuse paying my shipping costs back.

My CSR is probably the most cared for piece of gaming equipment I own, so I felt rather insulted at their insinuations without evidence.

The first time I dealt with customer support though, I had a vibration motor come loose in the rim itself, they sent me another without question, had it in a week and didn't even have to send the old one back. So like I said, completely random. Just be ready to have to buy a whole new wheel if yours fails, even if it's only a few months in lol.

Tomcul
28-11-2015, 15:31
To the op..shoulda bought a t500rs...

Redslayer
30-11-2015, 02:56
To the op..shoulda bought a t500rs...

Did you even read his post? lol That's like someone having a Honda civic and having a horrible experience and telling them to buy a Honda Accord lol

Tomcul
30-11-2015, 19:00
Not really because if he'd bought a t500 in the first place he wouldn't have had problems with Thrustmaster..

Stephen1300
30-11-2015, 19:45

Thrustmaster is in Canada ? Strange that a company that started in Oregon and bought by a French group (from France) called Guillemot would be based in Canada ???

seamastergmt
01-12-2015, 03:16
Thrustmaster is in Canada ? Strange that a company that started in Oregon and bought by a French group (from France) called Guillemot would be based in Canada ???

That is where my unit went...

SGETI
01-12-2015, 19:41
Mine is in the shop since November 11th, and the number I have called, 1 866 889 5036 , no longer accepts calls.. The answering machine states customer service is closed, please use email for all contact.

Does anyone have a working number for USA English?

seamastergmt
01-12-2015, 20:09
That is also the number I used to check on my unit. I called it Last week and it still worked. Oh well. That is just one more reason I am glad that I bought a Fanatec . you might want to make sure that you didn't call when they are normally working. They are only available via phone Mon-Fri...

Redslayer
01-12-2015, 22:42
Not really because if he'd bought a t500 in the first place he wouldn't have had problems with Thrustmaster..

I guess that makes sense if you don't think about it.

Tomcul
01-12-2015, 22:56
What part of it is your brain having trouble with?
Your example would have been correct if I had said: you should have replaced your t300 with a t500..
But what I said was you should have bought a t500 in the first place and not a t300.
Can you understand that now?

LordDRIFT
02-12-2015, 20:33
No , its not just you, many share your experience. At least they agreed to fix yours, but I got em back in the end ;)

seamastergmt
02-12-2015, 20:48
A T500 is only compatible with PS3?...Wouldnt do me any good as I game on PS4.

Mariooch97
03-12-2015, 03:01
If you guys think Fanatec is the answer to all your troubles , think again and while you're at it hold on to your wallet!!
The equipment is gorgeous, feels great to the hands as well, but they too have more issues than readers digest
Customer service? Right!! Good luck trying to talk to anybody there.
I had a GT2 wheel $500 and the clubsport pedals $200, sold them both for $450 on eBay within a year (good riddance! ) purchased a Logitech G25 and never had a problem .
Bottom line , the grass is not always greener and the extra cash does not nesesarily gets you what you paid for!

seamastergmt
03-12-2015, 03:26
If you guys think Fanatec is the answer to all your troubles , think again and while you're at it hold on to your wallet!!
The equipment is gorgeous, feels great to the hands as well, but they too have more issues than readers digest
Customer service? Right!! Good luck trying to talk to anybody there.
I had a GT2 wheel $500 and the clubsport pedals $200, sold them both for $450 on eBay within a year (good riddance! ) purchased a Logitech G25 and never had a problem .
Bottom line , the grass is not always greener and the extra cash does not nesesarily gets you what you paid for!

You are right, more money does not buy you reliability necessarily. I have made the decision to spend the money as I believe that a more robust system made the way Fanatec makes their systems will likely be more reliable. Also Fanatec is the only manufacturer to make a setup that can be compatible with PS4 and XBox one. This is very important to me as I don't want to have to trade wheels out each time I want to switch systems.

Also, for the price of my T300RS and a TX I can almost afford a Fanatec. The TX is not attractive to me given its cheap feeling parts.

I hope you are wrong, I hope the Fanatec I have purchased works flawlessly for years. If it doesn't I don't figure that I am any worse off given the experience I have had with Thrustmaster. I still have yet to hear from Thrustmaster and it has been almost a month since they got my T300. At least Fanatec has Chat support...

Tomcul
03-12-2015, 08:34
A T500 is only compatible with PS3?...Wouldnt do me any good as I game on PS4.

Ok.....guess my one is magic..

Stephen1300
06-12-2015, 07:25
Hi all,

I purchased A T300RS specifically to play PCars now and GT7 later. The wheel itself has good FFB. The pedals aren't great but they work. I think they have a fraction of the fidelity of Fanatec V3 Pedals. All things were going well till the T300 broke after about 3 months. It would not calibrate. It just violently slammed itself to the stops on each side.

I was going to call Thrustmaster directly but they are only available in the USA when I am at work. So, I sent them an e-mail. To their credit they got back to me within 24 hours. In my original email I described what the problem was. Regardless the tech needed to see what was up. So, Day one I sent my email, day two I get a response asking me for a video of the problem, day three I send my video, day four I get a response saying "Yep its broke", we are going to send you an RMA and return label. FIVE days later I get my RMA and label. Next is the slow boat to Canada. After it got to the repair center I called to get a status update, the tech said it would just be a couple of days to turn around and get unit back to me. That was three weeks ago.

Needless to say I am not happy about being without my wheel for what will end up being a month or more.

I realize that things happen and toys break but it seems like this is less than an isolated problem for the T300RS. At the worst I expected Thrustmaster to throw my unit in the repair pile and send me a refurbed unit. I didn't think they would make me wait this long.

I am taking some of my hard earned money and buying a Fanatec setup on Friday.

The T300 can be a great unit if Thrustmaster can hammer out reliability issues. For most people the T300 is the only viable option for a higher end gaming unit. Thrustmaster needs to work on quality issues so the thousands of players who can't afford a Fanatec setup can rely on a good unit to play on.

After having said all of that I would like to add that if I was in a different position and could not afford Fanatec, I would still take the chance on Thrustmaster. Of the available mid level priced wheels out there, they are the best. I have tried the Madcatz for Xbox One, Logitech G920 and Logitech DFGT. The DFGT was good at the time.

Cant wait to get my Fanatec...

My experience is exactly that, mine. It may be that other users have had much better experiences with Thrustmaster IT and repair center. I posted this to allow people to see what could happen with their Thrustmaster product. I have not played PCars in nearly a month due to my bad experience. This is a cautionary tale to those that may have similar issues pop up on their T300RS. There may be nothing anyone can do to make their experience any better than mine but at least some may be prepared for what to expect.

I hope this post is helpful.

Did you get your Fanatec kit yet ? I am curious to see what you think of the change. I started having trouble with my T300rs a couple of days ago. It would do like yours, go violently to the right, an I mean it realy hit hard the first time so much that I heard a crackin noise but it could have been the base it sits on. I tried swapping it from PS4 to PS3 to PC with no luck, it would turn left to the middle and slam to the right continously. I then opened the Thrustmaster program that I already had on the PC to test the butttons and update the firmware and as soon as the program took control of the wheel it stopped. It is working ok since then but I am thinking a Fanatec kit is in my near future.

Edit : At the end the fix was not a fix, this morning the T300rs was acting again, same pattern but did not come back whatever I did. It is officially dead, I had it 13 months so the warranty is over and I will not invest a dime to get it fixed.

deedub777
07-12-2015, 13:29
I had a T300 and after 3 attempts I eventually sent it back and got the G29. What a difference!
- the FFB isn't as brutal
- the gears do chatter a bit
However, the pedals are SO much better.
The overall experience is much better for almost 100 less. No regrets :)

PS:
First wheelbase returned: manufacturing fault so sent a new one
second wheelbase arrived: damaged in the post, outer casings completely wrecked
third wheel arrived: worked for about three months, returned and got full refund.

Fight-Test
07-12-2015, 17:36
Did you get your Fanatec kit yet ? I am curious to see what you think of the change. I started having trouble with my T300rs a couple of days ago. It would do like yours, go violently to the right, an I mean it realy hit hard the first time so much that I heard a crackin noise but it could have been the base it sits on. I tried swapping it from PS4 to PS3 to PC with no luck, it would turn left to the middle and slam to the right continously. I then opened the Thrustmaster program that I already had on the PC to test the butttons and update the firmware and as soon as the program took control of the wheel it stopped. It is working ok since then but I am thinking a Fanatec kit is in my near future.

Edit : At the end the fix was not a fix, this morning the T300rs was acting again, same pattern but did not come back whatever I did. It is officially dead, I had it 13 months so the warranty is over and I will not invest a dime to get it fixed.

You won't have any issues getting it replaced. Call them today and get ur videos made and sent asap. You should have everything u need in three to 4 days to send everything in for free.

The wheel spinning like that is a know issue with them and the fix is just temporary. U will have to send back. They are easy to work with, just call them. They will get the process moving fast and send u the instructions u need.

Stephen1300
07-12-2015, 19:10
You won't have any issues getting it replaced. Call them today and get ur videos made and sent asap. You should have everything u need in three to 4 days to send everything in for free.

The wheel spinning like that is a know issue with them and the fix is just temporary. U will have to send back. They are easy to work with, just call them. They will get the process moving fast and send u the instructions u need.

Thank you for the answer but since the warranty is over I doubt they will fix it for free and I am not inclined to invest anymore on this device.

Fight-Test
07-12-2015, 21:17
Thank you for the answer but since the warranty is over I doubt they will fix it for free and I am not inclined to invest anymore on this device.

oh yea gotcha. I thought it was 2 year warranty from factory but I think your right its one year. In the states at least. Sorry about that man.

Sasquatch
10-12-2015, 18:25
It's definitely a one year warranty iirc.

My T300 recently came back from TM, as I had a very slight left/right clunk sound. I marked the base before I sent it out, and 2 months later I got a new one at my door. This T300 is a 1000x smoother than the unit I had before. I even compared use to my my buddies T300 - as he bought his at the same time as me and it's definitely a smoother playing wheel.

This wheel base I got is seriously surprisingly smooth... It doesn't deteriorate in long sessions like my old wheel base did. See how it is in another year of course.

I still can't believe how his wheel is more than a year old now, zero issues. Still performs like new, I guess he got real lucky on his.

Mr.60trim
11-12-2015, 05:59
I still can't believe how his wheel is more than a year old now, zero issues. Still performs like new, I guess he got real lucky on his.
It really is a hit or a miss with these Thrustmaster wheels. I'm starting to suspect potentially where the consumer purchased their wheel (e.g. Ebay vs Amazon etc), as well as when (e.g. batch dates) may have something to do with it. Perhaps duration of usage comes into play as well. Some of us may only utilize the wheel once a week vs some of us who play almost everyday hours on in...and not just only on Project Cars, but other various driving games that utilizes the wheel as well. Not sure...but it's unfortunate for those who have to deal with the headache.