PDA

View Full Version : To FFB or not to FFB, that is the question...

mpl911
03-12-2015, 09:51
Hi. I'm loving PC, currently running the xbox One version, using a Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Spider Racing Wheel (the cheap one with no FFB). I have a racing seat setup, low to the ground, with the pedals clamped at the end, and a 40" tv just in front. The wheel / pedal set is less than a year old, very good condition and works perfectly. I love the immersion it gives and I've always used wheels with my racers (DiRT, GRID Autosport, WRC's, most Forzas, etc). For Christmas I'm considering getting an FFB wheel (I know the more expensive Thrustmaster is about 270, compared to the 70 I shelled out on the non-FFB one I already have).

My question is, in your experience, would it be worth spending the extra money to replace my 10-month old non-FFB wheel / pedal set to get the more expensive FFB set? Is the difference in the immersion that extreme? Apart from PC, I'm seeing a few rallying games lined up for the One in 2016 (Dirt Rally and Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo) and Rallying is my favourite discipline.

Does the FFB really add that much to the experience? I assume it's only the wheel that has the motors, not the pedals too? Is the 270 TX Racing Wheel Ferrari 458 Italia Edition the way to go or is there a better FFB wheel for around the same money?

I appreciate any advice you can give.

wOoDsTeR16
03-12-2015, 10:32
I started the with the same wheel as you mate, only it took me 2 months to make the change. If you have never felt FFB your not missing it. If you have then your gonna wanna have one asap, it makes it a whole new game

STEELJOCKEY
03-12-2015, 10:33
Loving the FFB on my TX, wouldn't have it any other way. The feel of the road and bumps is awesome.

Mate I race with had the spider wheel, and recently upgraded to a G920 due his wheel finally died. So that is another option if you're looking for FFB. I'll see if I can get him to post up his opinion going from non FFB to FFB.

Personally, I think they are worth it if you're looking for something more from your driving experience.

Nicho Lucas Dad
03-12-2015, 10:52
As Jockey said I had a spider, Spider died, he was murdered by my kids but he was on his last legs anyway.

Get the FFB its a complete different experience, better feel in the corners, easier to correct and my times got quicker.

chrisff87
03-12-2015, 13:48
Same as most here, I satarted with the Spider wheel (great wheel for the price), but it took me just about 2 months and I wanted to get a FFB wheel. I got the TX wheel and yes, it makes it a whole new game. The immersion is much better and it is easier to correct under and over steer, as you can now "feel" what the car is doing.
Now, I was able to get the TX for $200, so for me it was a non-brainer to get it.

John Hargreaves
03-12-2015, 14:03
PC world/Currys has the G920 around 200 at the moment, and you could get the thick end of what you paid for your spider wheel by sticking it on eBay, so it might only be about 150 if you go that route. I've had both types and life is definitely better with ffb.

RomKnight
03-12-2015, 15:31
Immersion alone is worth it.

Being able to feel what the car is doing certainly doesn't hurt either.

PS: you can now actually have something in both brake (ABS) and throttle (wheel spinning) with the new CSPv3 pedals from Fanatec too. Just saying :)

Haiden
03-12-2015, 15:37
I started the with the same wheel as you mate, only it took me 2 months to make the change. If you have never felt FFB your not missing it. If you have then your gonna wanna have one asap, it makes it a whole new game

Ha! Had pretty much the same experience. I wish I had of just got the TX to start with.

And yes, the immersion level is far great. There's also a whole world of feedback that you're missing. You will see you lap times and overall control of the car drastically improve. Not to mention the fact that almost every track will seem new to you, because you'll be feeling all the nuances--elevation changes, bumps, curbs, etc.

mpl911
03-12-2015, 15:51
Thanks to all for your advice. You've definitely convinced me I need (no, not want, need!) some FFB for Christmas. Shouldn't have been such a skinflint in the first place I suppose. I like the look of that Logitech kit too...esp that shifter. If I can find a way to glue that thing onto my racing rig I'll have that too.

Thanks everybody...great advice. see you on the track (except for you Aussie chaps - think our timezones will preclude any chances of us meeting!)

Thanks guys.

Haiden
03-12-2015, 16:14
I just upgraded to a Clubsport platform. I'll be selling the TX setup below (wheel base and T3PA Pro pedals with custom plates) on Ebay soon. Haven't had a single problem with it since I got it (almost two years ago). I'll probably sell the F1 rim separately, but I also have a GT 28 leather rim that I might bundle with the TX base and pedals.

If you're interested, send me a private message, and I'll let you know when it goes up.

mpl911
03-12-2015, 16:48
Thanks Haiden. That's very kind of you - but I'm on xbox...by the look of your blue PC case you're on PS. Fantastic set up though!!

Dan77 DESTROYER
03-12-2015, 16:55
Hi. I'm loving PC, currently running the xbox One version, using a Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Spider Racing Wheel (the cheap one with no FFB). I have a racing seat setup, low to the ground, with the pedals clamped at the end, and a 40" tv just in front. The wheel / pedal set is less than a year old, very good condition and works perfectly. I love the immersion it gives and I've always used wheels with my racers (DiRT, GRID Autosport, WRC's, most Forzas, etc). For Christmas I'm considering getting an FFB wheel (I know the more expensive Thrustmaster is about 270, compared to the 70 I shelled out on the non-FFB one I already have).

My question is, in your experience, would it be worth spending the extra money to replace my 10-month old non-FFB wheel / pedal set to get the more expensive FFB set? Is the difference in the immersion that extreme? Apart from PC, I'm seeing a few rallying games lined up for the One in 2016 (Dirt Rally and Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo) and Rallying is my favourite discipline.

Does the FFB really add that much to the experience? I assume it's only the wheel that has the motors, not the pedals too? Is the 270 TX Racing Wheel Ferrari 458 Italia Edition the way to go or is there a better FFB wheel for around the same money?

I appreciate any advice you can give.

I went from a controller to thrustmaster tx and as woodster16 says it makes it a whole new game, I wouldn't be without it now, it's well worth the extra money in my opinion and enables you to get more in depth with the game.
You won't be disappointed put it that way.

Haiden
03-12-2015, 17:05
Thanks Haiden. That's very kind of you - but I'm on xbox...by the look of your blue PC case you're on PS. Fantastic set up though!!

Actually, I have both. The T300 is in the picture, but I have a TX wheel, as well. :)

Rockefelluh
03-12-2015, 17:24
Actually, I have both. The T300 is in the picture, but I have a TX wheel, as well. :)

Haiden is a defector ;)

Haiden
03-12-2015, 17:34
Haiden is a defector ;)

Ha! Kinda of. I tried to play on both, but it just got really annoying to have to break out the screwdriver and swap bases just to move from console to console to play the same game. Now, with the Clubsport system going from PS4 to Xb1 is way easier. :)

sublime1996525
03-12-2015, 23:35
I have never played with a FFB wheel and the last time I actually played with a racing wheel was when I had one for my N64. My TX wheel is supposed to be here Tuesday so I am beyond stoked!

nissan4ever
04-12-2015, 02:11
My TX wheel is supposed to be here Tuesday so I am beyond stoked!

Kid in a candy store :)

poirqc
04-12-2015, 03:49
I have never played with a FFB wheel and the last time I actually played with a racing wheel was when I had one for my N64. My TX wheel is supposed to be here Tuesday so I am beyond stoked!

More pCars enjoyment, alot less sleep, thinking about FFB tunes! Grats. You'll be glad you did.

AnDyCapzZ
04-12-2015, 12:41
Hi MPL911 , I have had a very quick transition over the last few months. Going from Pad to Spider wheel to spider wheel and cockpit to a logitech G920 and cockpit. All in about 3 months ! not once have i looked back on my decision though. I have used the TX before (friend has one) and of course the logitech, in truth if you want a FFB setup i cant recommend the G920 enough. its alot better quality 'out the box' than the TX for less money. It is also alot more reliable than a TX as its based on the most popular G25 wheel and i know from a lot of the guys i race with in my league that the TX has ALOT of issues.

Whatever you choose FFB is soooooooo much better. You will be faster, understand what the car is doing more and of course get a more realistic sensation driving and thats what its all about :)

rtazz17
04-12-2015, 15:23
Hi MPL911 , I have had a very quick transition over the last few months. Going from Pad to Spider wheel to spider wheel and cockpit to a logitech G920 and cockpit. All in about 3 months ! not once have i looked back on my decision though. I have used the TX before (friend has one) and of course the logitech, in truth if you want a FFB setup i cant recommend the G920 enough. its alot better quality 'out the box' than the TX for less money. It is also alot more reliable than a TX as its based on the most popular G25 wheel and i know from a lot of the guys i race with in my league that the TX has ALOT of issues.

Whatever you choose FFB is soooooooo much better. You will be faster, understand what the car is doing more and of course get a more realistic sensation driving and thats what its all about :)

The intial release of tx HAD problems..Recent release has not.I have 100s of hours of use on mine..No problem what so ever.Do solid research first before you buy op.

nissan4ever
04-12-2015, 20:07
TX has ALOT of issues

My launch batch TX works fine after 2 years and over 750 hrs of use. I think differently on TX quality.

psydeviant1
04-12-2015, 22:11
yeah on release of project cars i bought a TX , it failed within 2 weeks so i got a refund , at that time stocks in the uk had gone completely and i couldnt get a replacement even direct from thrustmaster,, i had a 3 week wait then bought one direct from thrustmaster a fresh new wheel from the production line , its been perfect not had a single problem , keep the firmware updated all will be good

sublime1996525
09-12-2015, 04:49
After about an hour of playing with the TX I can't believe I have not gone this route sooner. On a related subject, my back and thumbs are sore. I need a better seat setup. Currently hunched over a little table lol.

nissan4ever
09-12-2015, 10:39
After about an hour of playing with the TX I can't believe I have not gone this route sooner.

Your in for a treat. Hopefully your's will give you hundreds of hrs of trouble free enjoyment! Are you using Jack Spade's Spreadsheet? If so, which chart?

Hammerpgh
10-12-2015, 15:46
I’ve been using my Spider since June and never had a moments trouble with it so am more than happy. I did previously have FFB on the 360 and thought I would probably really miss it but in all honesty soon got sued to being without it and have loved every minute in Project Cars (and F1 2015) since. I opted for the TX’s little brother at the time because the TX was out of stock over here in the UK and the prices were crazy when they came back in dribs and drabs so I stuck with the trusty Spider. I was also put off by the amount of problems ‘everyone’ in my league was having with the TX and felt the hefty investment was too risky at that point. Now that things have settled and the TX’s are back in stock at a more reasonable price I may be tempted after Christmas to finally go the FFB route although still not totally sure whether it will be for a TX or a G920.

Regardless though the Spider has been fantastic value for money and even if I move on it will always be there just waiting to step in when it’s replacement runs into problems.