PDA

View Full Version : SMS-R Round 12: LMP2 at Willow Springs

Joseph Barron
04-12-2015, 11:32
Hi everyone. The next round of the SMS-R Driver Network Championship, LMP2 at Willow Springs is now open. Head to the Community Events tab in the game's main menu to enter!

As with all SMS-R events, the white lines at the edge of the tarmac define the track limits. Any driver who puts all four wheels outside the white lines on the inside or outside of the circuit at any point will have that lap excluded from the results.

Please be especially careful at the exit of the final turn, however we will be watching for exploitation of track limits at all corners, as we do in every event.

Most drivers behaved very well during the previous SMS-R Round at Bathurst, so please let's continue that at Willow Springs too.

Good luck on the track!

miagi
04-12-2015, 11:53
LMP2 at willow springs, that horrible track... sounds like a pretty boring combination :/

Ofc everyone behaved on Bathrust, because that track has lots of wall protecting the track limits :D

ONT
04-12-2015, 19:22
Any racing is good but.....a better car would be a RUF, Willow Springs has a lot of Porsche Owners Club racing in real life.

There is practice almost every week.

My guess is that there has never been a LMP2 car on the track :)

N0body Of The Goat
04-12-2015, 19:40
What I love about Willow Springs, besides it being the only track I could test on at one point during development with my old 8800GTS 512, is that the layout suggests downforce is king... But it is all about how low you can run the wings for better acceleration and top speed on the straights and then keep it on the island through the sweeping bends!

This morning I did a default setup run of 60mins in my first attempt at this event, with no exploits and just auto clutch assist, best time of ~1min5.1 secs on lap 11.

During the last 10 or so laps of my 52 lap stint, I had no tread showing on the front tyres, was well over 10 seconds off my best time and a major struggle to keep the car on-track!;)

havocc
05-12-2015, 01:30
Man this is probably my favourite event, i love fast tracks without chicanes and hairpins and i love lmp2

GT-Club_Atho_
07-12-2015, 22:53
Good evening, we asked ourselves the questions last night about the time difference between PC and consoles. Indeed, no fewer than four drivers are in 1.01.6 on PC when no player is below 1.02.2 on console. Our friend Finpro ( 1.01.6 ) give us his setup so that we try to see the difference. Could not do better than 1.02.2 on PS4.
So I decided to do a time on PC to see the difference. With the same setup I immediatly made 1.01.8 which confirms the gap between PC and consoles.
I don't know where the difference is coming from, maybe the different version of PC 6.2 and console 6.0.
Seeing this i think it's preferable for fair play to cancel the round.

Videos will come soon.

Thanks.

GT-Club_Atho_
08-12-2015, 13:13
EDIT :

Hello, you can only see a time of 1.02.0 on my PC. I had done a 1.01.8 but my computer has freeze and it has not saved my time. I bought the game on PC last night only to demonstrate the difference that exists between the platforms. My game was choppy and turn 30 fps but I still managed to beat my PS4 time. I'll try this afternoon to show you a lap as I promised. To wait i put my 1.02.222 on PS4.

If you can, try and you'll see what i mean. I hope you understand my position, I had no interest in buying the game on PC at 22h00 if there were no difference. I talk with Slux GTurbo, STD rs team, Carburateur 83 and they all told me that it was not possible to go down to 1.01 and more Finpro give me his set and i wasn't able to do better than a 1.02.2... We are talking about 6 tenths difference on a 1min lap, it's obvious...

Best regards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov6bv4-fYiU

Joseph Barron
08-12-2015, 13:17
Hi Atho. We have been investigating this today, but have not yet reached a conclusion. We will keep you updated with our progress.

Kevin Leaune
08-12-2015, 14:38
Hello everyone,

Already congratulations to all competitors because it was a very tight round.

This is not the first time that a carrier is faster than the other ...

A simple example ....

Round 11 - Spa-Francorchamps

The first 4 are players with PS4 9/10 differences on the first PC ... and with more than one second differences with the first Xbox gamers ... and yet no one has asked to cancel the round ...

If a benefit y'avais why F1- Masa who wins the round 14 , he finds himself only has 1/10 of its time TSR Atho PS4 ...

The only reason TSR Atho wants to cancel the round is that I managed to retrieves my late and we end up the same number of points.

I see that when I win a race , he asks for canceled as you canceled the round 14 on the Nurburgring when I was first !

With 563 points every two that announces nice finish

FinPro
08-12-2015, 15:16
I think Atho has valid point there and im sure also other console gamers are asking the same questions. Sonik can also prove theory wrong by setting same kind of lap on PS4 that he set on PC.

As much as i want to see myself among the top on leaderboard, i have to admit that there might be difference on platforms...

Kevin Leaune
08-12-2015, 15:33
Our friend Finpro

Mouhahahahahaha FinPro !

Spa Francorchamps and when you get caught more than one second by the PS4 players it will not ask you problem?

yet no one has said anything !

In this case the sleeves are canceled all

Joseph Barron
08-12-2015, 15:48
Hi everyone.

We have conducted a thorough investigation into Atho's original post about differences between lap-time on PC and console.

We can confirm that there are no differences between patches that would result in time discrepancies between platforms. Together with our vehicle and physics staff, we have checked all of the changes that were made in 6.1 and 6.2 on PC and there is nothing that would contribute to the difference being seen.

Therefore, this round of the championship will continue as normal.

GT-Club_Atho_
08-12-2015, 16:20
Hi everyone.

We have conducted a thorough investigation into Atho's original post about differences between lap-time on PC and console.

We can confirm that there are no differences between patches that would result in time discrepancies between platforms. Together with our vehicle and physics staff, we have checked all of the changes that were made in 6.1 and 6.2 on PC and there is nothing that would contribute to the difference being seen.

Sonik's answer confirm that there is a difference on this round !! I don't understand your decision.

How did u explain the difference between my time on PS4 and PC ??

Joseph Barron
08-12-2015, 16:31
I understand your frustration Atho. Tensions are certainly high with the championship battle so close at this late stage.

However, I can categorically state that SMS did not make any changes to the physics or tire model of any car between update 6.0 and update 6.2. Therefore the faster times achieved by PC players in this event are not due to any differences between the patch versions of the game and the event will go ahead as normal.

GT-Club_Atho_
08-12-2015, 16:40
I understand your frustration Atho. Tensions are certainly high with the championship battle so close at this late stage.

However, I can categorically state that SMS did not make any changes to the physics or tire model of any car between update 6.0 and update 6.2. Therefore the faster times achieved by PC players in this event are not due to any differences between the patch versions of the game and the event will go ahead as normal.

I understand what you are saying but look at Sonik answer he says " This is not the first time that a carrier is faster than the other ". We have the proof of a difference.

I understand that on the updates notes there is no change on any car or any track. I look at ESL match on PC this week and there are no difference. But on this round only, i don't know why there is a difference and the lap times proves it that's why i don't understand.

Yinato
08-12-2015, 17:07
Hello,

@Kevin,

Please do not confuse between driving and car physic.

On the round 11 (Spa Francorchamps), the game versions on PC and consoles were exactly the same.

Here on this round 12 (Willow Springs), the game versions are different: 6.02 for PC, 6.0 for both PS4 and XBOX1.

Willow Springs is a short track. As you noticed, the best times done on PC were very close while best times on consoles were nearly 6-7 tenths slower compared to PC, that is huge!

I also tried on PC to evaluate differences and the answer is yes, there are differences:

- Per corner : 7-8 km/h speed per corner

- Top Speed : 3-4 km/h

If you are really worthy, I suppose that you do not want to win this championship without merit, so for this reason, the round must be canceled.

I hope the staff will respect its own regulations and won’t be affected by the current circumstances.

This message has not for purpose to discredit anybody.

Best Regards,
Anthony.

[EDIT]:

Kevin, why do you speak of a physical difference in Spa Francorchamps?

The first player xbox one SDL-Mangator achieved the second best time on XBOX1 only 3/10 monster FA = SennasGhostP1

The problem is not physical but you and your piloting.

@The Staff,

I think that any time you have pulled mistakes from the past and this is a shame.

Your organization and application of the Regulation and picturesque becomes completely random according to your will.

If you continue you will soon no longer loyal community and I think it would be sad to see all that Project CARS brought good.

There is a huge difference on the physical Round 12 in Willow Springs YOU MUST see to the interests of the championship and those to come.

Otherwise, may be we could ask Kevin to make us a time of 1.02:0xx on XBOX1 to restore the truth and prove ourselves against our underperformance? With a time of 1.01:608 it should be very fast for him to achieve a time of 1.02:0xx, right?

Image from the XBOX1 ranking :

PTG Baby Cow
08-12-2015, 19:39
Hi everyone.

Joe,

I am not sure why everyone immediately jumps to the physics being different. I have not been competing in this event so i have nothing at stake when i mention this. With some testing done with others that have both xbox and pc version there are time differences. I am not stating that the physics are different which everyone always eludes to. I believe it is more of a hardware difference, similar to the fps issue noted well earlier in the games life where if you have a full lobby, you will never be able to achieve the times you are able to achieve in a lobby by yourself as with a full lobby (even with a clear track on both). I believe that due to lack of processing power on the console version compared to pc the console is still getting frame rate drops in time trial mode (i have experienced this myself so it does happen), in turn the times on the console version in most cases are suffering. There are tracks where the frame rate drops are not as bad and the times are able to be much closer across platform. I have a hunch (havent tested) that a lower end pc with the same tune same driver also wouldnt be able to reach the same times as if he/she were playing on a high end computer.

Where i think the issue lies is in the hardware. Even in the same platform not all units are equal even tho they have the same hardware. I think that on a particular day a pc that is performing optimally and at 60fps constant or greater vs even the same pc that for instance has programs running in the background that has frame rate drops will achieve different times even if driven by the same high caliber driver. Heck, to test this use Ben Collins or Nicolas hamilton do the testing if you dont trust the skill of the gamers. I just think that the consoles arent powerful enough to run project cars stable at 60 fps even in tt mode and because of this the lap times are suffering, not because of differing physics. If i had the pc version i would do a test with an actual stop watch for proof.

Basically what you are saying is that the best xbox driver for this event is over 1 second slower than the best pc driver? Would you believe it if it was the same driver on both platforms?

could_do_better
08-12-2015, 19:46
Do the fast PC drivers have AMD processors? There is a thread about AMD processors with Turbo disables allowing faster driving in MP.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?40649-Why-am-I-winning

ports
08-12-2015, 20:05
August of this year i was involved in a TT championship on ps4 at brands hatch in the caterham r500. Another player on ps4 was lapping brands hatch 1.33.898 and he struggled to get that time but he then jumped on his pc and on his 2nd lap straight down to 1.32.808 so there has been a difference for some time.

Yinato
08-12-2015, 22:38
I think there will be always small time differences between the different platforms to a lesser extent.

Here, we are talking about a difference of vehicle performance.

During my test PC and unlike the PS4 version of the game, the car felt lighter, brighter with a higher top speed of 3 to 4 km/h.

I obviously realized this comparative test with identical parameters, with the same car setup.

Once the first test PC, the difference was glaring and left no chance for speculation.

@The staff,

You know, I am an honest and respectful person. When i was personnally penalized because of the use of double account, I accepted without challenging the staff.

Here, the problem is different and I hope you will respect us and you will study the issue again.

Note that I do not question the update of the PC (6.02) but the differences between PC and consoles.

To see the differences between car behaviours, do not compare the PC ver 6.0 with the PC ver 6.2, it is necessary to compare the actual version on PS4 with the current version on PC or 6.00.

I am sad to have to complain again and I apologize for that but I think doing it for a constructive reason.

Best regards,
Anthony.

ONT
09-12-2015, 04:39
Competing in same tournament on different platforms sounds nuts IMHO :)

I've participated and ben a spectator to lots of E-sports Quake 3, Counter Strike, StarCraft, League of Legends etc etc etc, all competing on same platform.

I think Your really asking for trouble mixing platforms in the same E-sports league (and the same is true for leader boards).

mangator
09-12-2015, 12:25
@Yinato

I did my time at Spa on PC, not on xbox. Also my lap did not count because i exceeded the limits 3 or 4 times so it's not really reliable, we can't rely on my lap to justify any gap.

FinPro
09-12-2015, 13:08
Thing is, if you want to be competetive you basicly need to own each platform and test which is fastest on certain track / car combo. (I really hope this isnt the case)

Im afraid if SMS dont look into this seriously it will affect on number of participants in future.

Andy Tudor
09-12-2015, 15:15
Hey all,

So the results from this round have had us all perplexed and investigating all possible reasons - no matter how absurd ;)

Initially, the thought was that there was some sort of discrepancy between patches - something different in 6.2 on PC to 6.0 on consoles but we can say with 100% certainty that this isn't the case. From going through the CLs (the Change Lists) of each item that went into both 6.1 and 6.2 there was nothing touching any system that would give an advantage to PC or nerf to consoles. There was simply no change and that's been verified by both the code team that worked on items for 6.1 and 6.2 as well as our QA testers.

Our next thought was that it was a discrepancy between gamepad and wheels, that on pads it was maybe too easy to overheat the tyres. But again, the results of this round show all the top players are using wheels so that was ruled out also.

Next we looked at the physics tick rate on PCs and consoles to see if there was something that was different or had changed there, but again no. Plus, the results from previous rounds have shown the Top 20 across each platform are a good mix of players which indicates that platform parity still remains.

The only other possible theory is that there's something happening that we're not aware of and has been in the game for a while. However, given that this is the first time we're seeing something potentially odd and given that nothing has changed recently that would exacerbate it becoming more obvious, again we're stumped. Especially since previous results have - as I said - been extremely varied. Indeed, to counter-act this argument we attempted this car/track combo on both PC and PS4 and succeeded in setting a faster time on console than on PC. So it is possible ;)

So please believe us, that we've had a large portion of the team on this investigation the last few days but we can confirm there's nothing that has changed recently that would bring disparity to the platforms. Quite why the results had more PC players in the top 5 we're not sure but it's something we'll be keeping an eye on.

The results from this round will still stand therefore.

Casey Ringley
09-12-2015, 15:36
To second what Andy says above, we have triple checked all changes that happened during the time between 6.0 and 6.2 and found nothing that would affect the car's performance. This even includes changes which weren't integrated to the published patch (so stuff that would have accidentally snuck into a build, as unlikely as that is). Very strange situation for sure, but it's one I think we have to chalk up to a statistical anomaly. There are simply no differences in code or data between the builds which could cause a per-platform change.

Yinato
09-12-2015, 15:41
Hello Andy,

Thank you for your answer.

@Andy,

During your comparative tests between the different platforms, you used the LMP2 car with its default settings?

Maybe the problem is setup once modified, may be we could send you our setup so that you test the PC and home consoles?

Please believe me, during my trial in utilsant identical parameters, performance differences were striking between the PC and PS4.

I have not tried to compare the car with default settings but I will do it, the problem is can be here.

Please keep Andy us informed of the progress of this strange inconvenience.

Thank you again.

Sincerely,
Anthony.

PTG Baby Cow
09-12-2015, 15:54
Hey all,

Next we looked at the physics tick rate on PCs and consoles to see if there was something that was different or had changed there, but again no. Plus, the results from previous rounds have shown the Top 20 across each platform are a good mix of players which indicates that platform parity still remains.

The only other possible theory is that there's something happening that we're not aware of and has been in the game for a while. However, given that this is the first time we're seeing something potentially odd and given that nothing has changed recently that would exacerbate it becoming more obvious, again we're stumped. Especially since previous results have - as I said - been extremely varied. Indeed, to counter-act this argument we attempted this car/track combo on both PC and PS4 and succeeded in setting a faster time on console than on PC. So it is possible ;)

With all due respect does sms even own an xbox? You tested it across the 2 platforms that were closely matched where you managed to set a faster time on the console. .3 doesnt shake me up. Ill put that down to the driver .3 is very close indeed. And being how it wasnt the same driver on both platforms I will accept that. On the first page kevin leune posted images of the 3 leaderboards to show the time differences and the top time on xbox vs the pc was 1.208 sec. This i can hardly put down to driver only. Especially when the driver slux GTurbo is a very capable driver and has won a few of these events in the past. Cross platform doesnt match up, and I am not whining because I am on xbox, xbox is not always the one that is slower but all platforms are not equal across all tracks with all cars.

Yinato
09-12-2015, 16:22
@Andy,

Here is the configuration you can rely on PC and home consoles:

Joseph Barron
09-12-2015, 18:06
Hi everyone. The results have now been posted!

projectcarsesports.com/home/sms-r-driver-network-championship-willow-springs-results (http://www.projectcarsesports.com/home/sms-r-driver-network-championship-willow-springs-results)

GT-Club_Atho_
09-12-2015, 18:08
Is this a joke ?? U are not taking my PC time ?

Lol i'm out .. bye

Joseph Barron
09-12-2015, 18:18
Is this a joke ?? U are not taking my PC time ?

Lol i'm out .. bye

Hi Atho. The rules clearly state that we can only record the time you set with your *primary* account. As you have always been a PS4 player, we therefore recorded your PS4 lap-time.

If you want us to take your PC time instead, you will need to commit to using the PC version of the game for the rest of the championship. We have asked the same thing of other players who have switched platforms in the past.

Apologies for any confusion.

GT-Club_Atho_
09-12-2015, 18:21
Hi Atho. The rules clearly state that we can only record the time you set with your *primary* account. As you have always been a PS4 player, we therefore recorded your PS4 lap-time.

If you want us to take your PC time instead, you will need to commit to using the PC version of the game for the rest of the championship. We have asked the same thing of other players who have switched platforms in the past.

Apologies for any confusion.

I don't think Sonik is a PC player or since 3 rounds he mades his time on PC and not Xbox

Joseph Barron
09-12-2015, 18:26
I don't think Sonik is a PC player or since 3 rounds he mades his time on PC and not Xbox

We asked SoniK the same question that I just asked you. His Xbox broke and he asked for our permission to be allowed to switch to PC for the rest of the season. We said yes, but he is not allowed to switch back to Xbox.

We are giving you the same choice. If you would like us to record your PC time for this event, you must then use the PC version for the rest of the season. If you then set a PS4 time in either of the remaining two events, it will not be recorded. It is up to you.

GT-Club_Atho_
09-12-2015, 19:19
We asked SoniK the same question that I just asked you. His Xbox broke and he asked for our permission to be allowed to switch to PC for the rest of the season. We said yes, but he is not allowed to switch back to Xbox.

We are giving you the same choice. If you would like us to record your PC time for this event, you must then use the PC version for the rest of the season. If you then set a PS4 time in either of the remaining two events, it will not be recorded. It is up to you.

Don't need to keep PC or PS4 i'm no more interested by this championship.

See you :yes:

Andy Tudor
10-12-2015, 08:33
Cheers Yinato, will pass your settings on to our QA department.

Atho, as Joe said, it clearly states here (http://www.projectcarsesports.com/info--regulations.html)...

Players are free to enter any 'live' rounds as many times as they wish using their primary account without penalty. Entries posted under alternate or secondary accounts will not be credited to the primary account.

If you wish to set PC as your primary account, it's just a simple matter of informing us. We have gone through the same procedure with other drivers.

babarxxl
10-12-2015, 10:12
Hello,

Many thanks for this cool SMS-R event on Willow Springs. As you probably know the team UNITY is now really active on the SMS-R in order to have good performance next year. Count on us !!
But this competition is completely unfair due to the difference with th PC time. I had the chance to test the race on both support XBox and PC and with the same LMP2 setup I had a huge Time difference.

I'm convinced that we need to divide the SMS-R ranking : 1 ranking for Console (Xbox/PS4) and 1 ranking for PC. I'm ok to fight but with the same weapon. The general driving feeling are so different on Xbox than on PC. And at the end how can we compare the hardware of a machine costing 350 € for Xbox and a gaming PC costing more than 1000 € and in constant evolution.

We need to take urgent decision !!! or we will lose a lot of pilots and teams on the SMS-R .

Other point, Why SDL Sonik is also making chrono in the SMS-R on Xbox???? It's an easy way to kick somebody out of the ranking? fair ?
They are also other weird things but i will keep it for me

Thanks and again many thanks for all your hard work.

babarxxl
10-12-2015, 10:28

If his xbox is broken how come he made also the event on xbox on willow springs.
exchanging account ???????

Joseph Barron
10-12-2015, 10:32
Hi babarxxl.

Firstly, it's great to see Unity entering the SMS-R events!

In answer to your first few questions, please see the Andy's earlier post (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?42735-SMS-R-Round-12-LMP2-at-Willow-Springs&p=1187677&viewfull=1#post1187677). We are going to monitor any differences between the PC and console versions of the game in the upcoming events and will take appropriate action if it is required.

Regarding players posting times on multiple leaderboards. We only record the time set from each player's *primary* account in the official event results. Therefore we have only recorded SDL SoniK's *PC* leaderboard entry for this event's official results. He may also have set a time on Xbox which appeared on the in-game leaderboard, but this was not included in the official results that we posted on the Project CARS eSports website.

cluck
10-12-2015, 10:36
EDIT : Ninja'd by by The Baron :o.

If his xbox is broken how come he made also the event on xbox on willow springs.
exchanging account ???????Maybe he got it repaired/replaced ;). From what I gather, reading Joseph's post, SoniK's XBOX times will not be counted in the championship, only his PC times (since he made the switch to PC).

Also, with regards your previous post "there are also other weird things but I will keep it for me", if you think there are problems or something underhand going on then either get in touch with Joesph via PM or state them here :).

(I'm a totally neutral bystander in this, by the way, I have no interest in the competitions themselves)

babarxxl
10-12-2015, 10:45
Hi babarxxl.

Firstly, it's great to see Unity entering the SMS-R events!

In answer to your first few questions, please see the Andy's earlier post (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?42735-SMS-R-Round-12-LMP2-at-Willow-Springs&p=1187677&viewfull=1#post1187677). We are going to monitor any differences between the PC and console versions of the game in the upcoming events and will take appropriate action if it is required.

Regarding players posting times on multiple leaderboards. We only record the time set from each player's *primary* account in the official event results. Therefore we have only recorded SDL SoniK's *PC* leaderboard entry for this event's official results. He may also have set a time on Xbox which appeared on the in-game leaderboard, but this was not included in the official results that we posted on the Project CARS eSports website.

Cool thanks for your support

Yes I think is good to check it because it will be sad to lose some teams of this event.

Thanks

Fabian Baumgarten
10-12-2015, 10:55
@Andy,

Here is the configuration you can rely on PC and home consoles:

hey, Yinato!

really interesting (strange) setup you have here.

maybe i will test it at the weekend, because mine was totally different!

at least, when it comes to aero, diff, ride height, and front camber.

i will let you know :)

maybe that can help.

Mialos
13-12-2015, 23:39
I have a question. Why i can't find my lap time on Willow Springs in final results?? What's happened? I had 11 position...

Joseph Barron
14-12-2015, 09:44
I have a question. Why i can't find my lap time on Willow Springs in final results?? What's happened? I had 11 position...

Hi Mialos. Are you on PC? What's your name in the game?

Mialos
14-12-2015, 15:34
Hi Mialos. Are you on PC? What's your name in the game?

Yes on PC. My name in the game is mialos1111

Joseph Barron
14-12-2015, 15:43
Yes on PC. My name in the game is mialos1111

Unfortunately, your time was outside the overall combined top 20 from PC, PS4 & XB1. In order to be included in the official results on the website, drivers must finish inside the combined overall top 20 times across PC, PS4 and Xbox One. After combining the three leaderboards for this event, 20th place was 1:02.821, while your lap was 1:03.577.

Mialos
14-12-2015, 16:02
Unfortunately, your time was outside the overall combined top 20 from PC, PS4 & XB1. In order to be included in the official results on the website, drivers must finish inside the combined overall top 20 times across PC, PS4 and Xbox One. After combining the three leaderboards for this event, 20th place was 1:02.821, while your lap was 1:03.577.

OK thx. But is it possible to check what results have players in other platforms? I see only PC results and general i don't know what time is enough and give me pts...

Joseph Barron
14-12-2015, 16:09
There isn't a way to view other platforms' leaderboards at the moment, unless you happen to have a copy of the game for the other platform/s as well. We are working on many improvements to the in-game championships though, so this may change in the future.