PDA

View Full Version : My first event - Lacuna Seca formula C

Mulder71
12-12-2015, 09:25
Hi all,

Just did my first event, the laguna seca formula c, and a few toughts about it. Not meant to cause big discussion, just friendly chatter ;)

1) the fastest time did not have a correct ghost attached, the ghost is messing up in the middle sector and is seconds slower than the time on the board.
This guy did have a fast time prior to this one (would be at least 2nd) so i do believe his time, but it is werid that his ghost is different from his time. Does this happen more often? I've seen times on leadreboards that don't have ghosts..how come?

2) To me hotlapping is fun but it i prefer racing. (i allways race the faster ghosts when hotlapping so i got stuck with the above ghost not available and being 2nd at that time..improved by 1/10th and called it a day yesterday evening ;)
Racing is not about doing one single fast lap, it's about being quick round after round and sometimes in changing conditions. This means balancing between speed and not messing it up after multiple good laps. Far more intense than just one lap that you can allways start over when you mess up.

So why don't we get 3, 5 or 10 lap events instead of only doing one single hotlap for the events?
Is this technically impossible or is there no demand?

3) Why can't we see the setups used by the ghosts? I do not like doing setups, i get them from somewhere (google) and tweak them based on my experience racing the ghosts..you see where you loose time and you judge weither it's you or the car causing this. In the end, look at the laguna seca thing, it's just the setup that's causing the top 10 to be as it is, altough i must say 1 and 2 are very fast i also see them gaining and losing in different sectors than myself..not saying i would be this high but am saying number 5 might be number one if he had the correct/same setup. I know a lot of people say the setup should suit them personally..well this is not true for hotlapping.. the best hotlap setups are in most cases very hard to drive (in the past i've driven in leagues where the base setus where supplied to me by someone who liked engineering..qually setups where monsters to control but faster than the race setups over one lap when you kept control..tight rope walking). In a race you do need room for error and this means compromising the ultimate setup for speed in benefit of driveability. I can't build these setups unfortunatelly by the way..i suck at setting up cars, i only know how to do the final bit in simple adjustments.

In the end, had fun and frustration in my first event, well done to all who competed and if you want my setup,i started with the Jack van Hees setup (on youtube) and tweaked some wings and gearings from there..that's it.

Too bad i don't have more spare time to kick your behinds number 1 and 2 ;)

Cheers !

Jan

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
12-12-2015, 09:33
I do not like doing setups, i get them from somewhere (google) and tweak them based on my experience racing the ghosts..you see where you loose time and you judge weither it's you or the car causing this. In the end, look at the laguna seca thing, it's just the setup that's causing the top 10 to be as it is, altough i must say 1 and 2 are very fast i also see them gaining and losing in different sectors than myself..not saying i would be this high but am saying number 5 might be number one if he had the correct/same setup.
I don't like driving.

Mulder71
12-12-2015, 09:38
I don't like driving.

LOL you bought Project Cars, the race engineering edition, and are waiting for the virtual driver to be available to do the driving and complain about the car to you?

mihalo
12-12-2015, 09:46
Here is my hotlap (01:11.792) and setup. Feel free to test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re91_Q0Eisk&feature=youtu.be

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
12-12-2015, 09:51
LOL you bought Project Cars, the race engineering edition, and are waiting for the virtual driver to be available to do the driving and complain about the car to you?

Just a little joke. A more honest and comprehensive statement would be that when I'm going into a time trial with a car and track that I don't have much experience with, having to deal with driving and setups can be pretty daunting. It was moreso before I learned a lot of setup tricks, some general and some probably more personal. It would be mentally easier to focus on one or the other. The point is that setup is part of getting a competitive time. And I think I would be less competitive with identical setups.

You can turn a weakness into a strength.

Mulder71
12-12-2015, 09:53
@ Mihalo
great time mate, the fastest on pc is 1:12.763. You are fastest on X-box?
I'll give your setup a go if i find the time (got to get the christmas tree setup today)

Edit - tested your setup and i like it but pretty sure you won't do that laptime on pc with this setup..

Mulder71
12-12-2015, 10:03
@Digby, very true. But i can't be bothered besides the basics..wings and gearing i get, ride height and springs i try and sometimes it works. Allignment..well..i believe whatever they tell me about that ;)

Dalhil
13-12-2015, 22:09
Hi all,

Just did my first event, the laguna seca formula c, and a few toughts about it. Not meant to cause big discussion, just friendly chatter ;)

1) the fastest time did not have a correct ghost attached, the ghost is messing up in the middle sector and is seconds slower than the time on the board.
This guy did have a fast time prior to this one (would be at least 2nd) so i do believe his time, but it is werid that his ghost is different from his time. Does this happen more often? I've seen times on leadreboards that don't have ghosts..how come?

2) To me hotlapping is fun but it i prefer racing. (i allways race the faster ghosts when hotlapping so i got stuck with the above ghost not available and being 2nd at that time..improved by 1/10th and called it a day yesterday evening ;)
Racing is not about doing one single fast lap, it's about being quick round after round and sometimes in changing conditions. This means balancing between speed and not messing it up after multiple good laps. Far more intense than just one lap that you can allways start over when you mess up.

So why don't we get 3, 5 or 10 lap events instead of only doing one single hotlap for the events?
Is this technically impossible or is there no demand?

3) Why can't we see the setups used by the ghosts? I do not like doing setups, i get them from somewhere (google) and tweak them based on my experience racing the ghosts..you see where you loose time and you judge weither it's you or the car causing this. In the end, look at the laguna seca thing, it's just the setup that's causing the top 10 to be as it is, altough i must say 1 and 2 are very fast i also see them gaining and losing in different sectors than myself..not saying i would be this high but am saying number 5 might be number one if he had the correct/same setup. I know a lot of people say the setup should suit them personally..well this is not true for hotlapping.. the best hotlap setups are in most cases very hard to drive (in the past i've driven in leagues where the base setus where supplied to me by someone who liked engineering..qually setups where monsters to control but faster than the race setups over one lap when you kept control..tight rope walking). In a race you do need room for error and this means compromising the ultimate setup for speed in benefit of driveability. I can't build these setups unfortunatelly by the way..i suck at setting up cars, i only know how to do the final bit in simple adjustments.

In the end, had fun and frustration in my first event, well done to all who competed and if you want my setup,i started with the Jack van Hees setup (on youtube) and tweaked some wings and gearings from there..that's it.

Too bad i don't have more spare time to kick your behinds number 1 and 2 ;)

Cheers !

Jan

You're right, unfortunately ghosts are often "bugged", but not only ghosts, in this event i've experienced many sectors' deltas issues on my own best laps that where in 1rst position from 6 december.

During laps i saw untrue green deltas vs my own best lap, turning in a correct red gap in the last sector. This is really disturbing while you are hotlapping (fake references) and when it happens it stops only when you improve your best ...hoping this won't happen again.

So i don't know what happens sometimes when Project CARS records ghosts and hotlaps, but this is an issue we had sometimes since development builds and it's still there.

Anyway, here are two videos, the first one is my best lap of 1:12:763, the second video shows two 1:12.8** laps in a row during a session (trying to beat my previous best of 1:12.819).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA3793rWSwA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIXjA5P37pE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIXjA5P37pE)

Mulder71
14-12-2015, 09:03
Hey Dalhil,

Complimenti tutti ! Great lap mate, been chasing your ghost on the 1:13.0 lap and just when it came within reach you improved to 1:12.7
I'm curious, did you improve on driving or did you change setup to get that final 0.3 improvement?

I tried the setup from Mihalo (after the event) and that gave me a better first sector but a worst final sector, did improve by 0,1 on a short test session so maybe 12.8 or something was possible for me..had enough of laguina seca for now ;)

Congratulations and thanks for the vids !

Dalhil
14-12-2015, 09:24
Hey Dalhil,

Complimenti tutti ! Great lap mate, been chasing your ghost on the 1:13.0 lap and just when it came within reach you improved to 1:12.7
I'm curious, did you improve on driving or did you change setup to get that final 0.3 improvement?

I tried the setup from Mihalo (after the event) and that gave me a better first sector but a worst final sector, did improve by 0,1 on a short test session so maybe 12.8 or something was possible for me..had enough of laguina seca for now ;)

Congratulations and thanks for the vids !

As you can see by videos, it wasn't a sudden improvement ( 1:13, 1:12.9, 1:12.8, 1:12.7), so it was a driving improvement tenth after tenth. Anyway i did some little mistake and i wasn't able to finally aggregate my best sectors, i think a 1:12.5/6 was possible.