PDA

View Full Version : [CLARIFIED] Cant deactivate Countersteering assistent on steering wheel?

evridej
16-12-2015, 18:24
Hi,

I bought a Thrustmaster 300rs and was really looking forward to play project Cars with it.
The Problem is, even after deactivating all Assistents and the Counter Steering Assistent on the Steering Wheel (Force Feedback) the game seems to always try to help me out with Countersteering(And with "help out" i mean literally taking over the steering wheel and taking away any sense of feeling that im actually the one driving).
Its really starting to frustrate me and the game makes absolutely no fun like this for me...
Anyone here with a similar Problem who knows how to fix this?
I tried googling and searching the Forum but i couldnt find anything useful...

ports
16-12-2015, 18:50
In the main menu settings make sure you have steering help turned off that could be your issue.

evridej
16-12-2015, 19:08
In the main menu settings make sure you have steering help turned off that could be your issue.

I deactivated every assistent i could find.... In the main menu -> options-> Gameplay Steering assistent, breaking assistent etc. all deactivated
main menu -> options-> Controller-> Configurate Counter steering assistent deactivated

still helps me Countersteering ALOT...

Update: Just tried it with a normal Wireless Controller and had no help Counter Steering.. Seems like an Issue with the Steering Wheel...

ports
16-12-2015, 19:14
Have you tried to turn down steering gain and tire force in ffb settings page ? thats all i can think of.

evridej
16-12-2015, 19:29
Have you tried to turn down steering gain and tire force in ffb settings page ? thats all i can think of.

Just tried it out. Steering gain seems to fix this(No Automated Countersteering anymore) but if i put it to 0 i basicly have 0 Force Feedback while Driving...

And putting it on 50 (default = 100) activates the EXTREME version of Steering + Countersteering Assistents again which should be turned off cuz i deactivated them :(

graveltrap
16-12-2015, 19:59
Have you got settings 'in car' for SOP, I found this always wanted to pull the wheel around for me...

evridej
16-12-2015, 20:43
Have you got settings 'in car' for SOP, I found this always wanted to pull the wheel around for me...

Sry gravel im pretty new to this game what u mean with "settings 'in car' for SOP"? That could fix my problem! U mind explainig me a lil pls where are this settings u talking about :D?
I got the game today i havent done anything yet... Only tweaking settings in main menu trying to fix this cuz it makes it most of the time impossible to play... The *whatever Assistent* makes me crash all the time cuz he tries to correct everything i do :S.... even the slightest turns almost like he wants me to follow a certain path of every turn of the course...

Just tried to race with a Formula A...
Its literally impossible.. My Steering Wheel goes completely Crazy.... going left right left right left right so fast i cant even hold it still (as if something wants to Correct me like a steering assistent or smth no idea..) and that on a straight part of the course when i reach highspeed... what is this..?

ports
16-12-2015, 21:12
Try these wheel settings mate on this site go threw the site there are global settings as well.
http://pcars.oscarolim.pt/wheel-settings/browse

Schnizz58
16-12-2015, 21:15
Ports is right. Your FFB is too high which is causing wheel oscillation. What you're feeling isn't countersteering, it's the force feedback.

graveltrap
16-12-2015, 21:19
You can also change some FFB settings from the edit tune setup menu for each car, using the R1 button will take you to them...

SOP = Seat Of the Pants which is on the second menu accessed via R2 button, but as you don't know what I am talking about, I would say that it is not the cause of your problem.

evridej
16-12-2015, 21:31
Try these wheel settings mate on this site go threw the site there are global settings as well.
http://pcars.oscarolim.pt/wheel-settings/browse

Ok i will try it out tomorrow thx!

Ports is right. Your FFB is too high which is causing wheel oscillation. What you're feeling isn't countersteering, it's the force feedback.

Well i thought so too but for example when i fail to make a right turn cuz im to fast and my car is about to spin to the right my steering wheel tries to correct it by going completely to the left ... thats like an Assistent...
Or i go out the course and my car spins around completely.. the wheel basicly turns itself so that i face the right direction of the course again... thats also like an Assistent.. :/ but strangely enough when i turn off the FFB completely it doesnt do that..

When i take really slight turns and my car is starting to slide even really just a tiny bit the wheel turns to the opposite direction of where the car is sliding trying to hold me on the course which ends in me crashing around again cuz i then have to correct the assistent or whatever this is lol and so on ...

Or is this whole Countersteering im getting the whole FFB thing trying to simulate Force so i can feel the car "sliding" but since mine is probably to strong makes it feel like its trying to Counter Steer?
Ill try the Settings maybe it will fix it somehow

evridej
16-12-2015, 22:45
OK sry peeps now i understand... Indeed its the FFB simulating G-forces on the tires thus on the wheel itself..

Nevertheless they should really implement some default-settings fitting to the Steering Wheel or u end up confusing a scrup like me who never had a Steering Wheel before :X
I took the settings with the least FFB-Force and slided it even more down a little and now things are working far better then before :).
Thx everyone for helping and sry D:!

RichE
17-12-2015, 07:54
Check out the t300rs settings thread for some excellent info.

dopedogz
17-12-2015, 16:14
Real cars can do this though remember, the tyres are in contact with the road, its hard to explain but its part of driving also how you can get 'tram lining' i had a very track focused road car once which felt like it had a mind of its own at times on the UK roads.
Ever turned full lock then let the wheel spin back again (looks cool if a girl is in the car), whos doing that?

Sankyo
17-12-2015, 17:48
OK sry peeps now i understand... Indeed its the FFB simulating G-forces on the tires thus on the wheel itself..

Nevertheless they should really implement some default-settings fitting to the Steering Wheel or u end up confusing a scrup like me who never had a Steering Wheel before :X
I took the settings with the least FFB-Force and slided it even more down a little and now things are working far better then before :).
Thx everyone for helping and sry D:!

But the default settings should have this auto-countersteering effect, because that's what real cars do :) It's basically a result of sliding friction on the front tyres that aligns the wheels into the direction of least resistance, which is the wheels pointing into the general movement direction of the car.

bradleyland
18-12-2015, 19:27
This has been said a few times in a roundabout way throughout the thread, but the effect you're feeling is present in real cars. It's not an assist.

In a real car, if you initiate a slide (oversteer), the front wheels will try to turn in the direction that the car is moving. So if the car is sliding to the right (usually after initiating left rotation), the wheel will naturally turn to the right. Suspension geometry has a significant impact on how hard the wheels will pull in the direction of the slide. The more caster, the greater the effect. This video explains it pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh7gWJAvOvs

So in addition to adjusting your FFB settings, you should experiment with different caster settings to set the car up the way you like. Just keep in mind that the setup that delivers the fastest lap time may not be the setup that feels the best to you. Part of delivering fast lap times is learning to deal with the difficulties inherent to fast setups.