PDA

View Full Version : UDP Data Rate?

VulcanVFX
18-12-2015, 11:14
Judging from SMS, the lower the data rate the less lag you'll have yet the PCars Dash app I have recommends a 5 instead of a 1, any reason why or which one would work best?

mr_belowski
18-12-2015, 11:36
Depends what you're using it for. Look at the data rates in the UDP post and consider how quickly the app(s) you're using might need their data. For Crew Chief, if you're using the spotter function you need the data quickly so I recommend UDP set to 2 or 3 for this. If you don't want the spotter, then higher numbers are OK

For dashboard apps it'll be a similar consideration - how 'up to date' does the information sent by the game need to be?

The lag the people have experienced is caused by 2 things. If your network connection between the console and phone / tablet is poor (e.g. the data has to be transferred over power line networking before reaching the router, or you have a low wifi signal strength) then packets are going to be delayed or lost. Sometimes the router itself might struggle to keep up - even though the packets are small, some routers might detect the high data rates as some kind of packet flood and throttle throughput.

Another source of lag is the client device. Perhaps it's just not fast enough to process the data that's coming in, perhaps it has some weird things in its own network stack that discard UDP broadcast packets if they're sent to frequently.

In short, there's no 'right' answer here. You have to do what you can to ensure a decent network connection, then experiment

VulcanVFX
18-12-2015, 11:44
Depends what you're using it for. Look at the data rates in the UDP post and consider how quickly the app(s) you're using might need their data. For Crew Chief, if you're using the spotter function you need the data quickly so I recommend UDP set to 2 or 3 for this. If you don't want the spotter, then higher numbers are OK

For dashboard apps it'll be a similar consideration - how 'up to date' does the information sent by the game need to be?

The lag the people have experienced is caused by 2 things. If your network connection between the console and phone / tablet is poor (e.g. the data has to be transferred over power line networking before reaching the router, or you have a low wifi signal strength) then packets are going to be delayed or lost. Sometimes the router itself might struggle to keep up - even though the packets are small, some routers might detect the high data rates as some kind of packet flood and throttle throughput.

Another source of lag is the client device. Perhaps it's just not fast enough to process the data that's coming in, perhaps it has some weird things in its own network stack that discard UDP broadcast packets if they're sent to frequently.

In short, there's no 'right' answer here. You have to do what you can to ensure a decent network connection, then experiment

Think I understand. So why wouldn't I just use channel 1? I mean are they any downfall at all or is the multiple channels just for if you have multiple devices and need to prioritize? Btw is that crew chief app available for IOS?

mr_belowski
18-12-2015, 11:55
Its not channel its rate - 1 is fastest, 10 is slowest

No ios crew chief I'm afraid

VulcanVFX
18-12-2015, 12:02
Its not channel its rate - 1 is fastest, 10 is slowest

No ios crew chief I'm afraid

Ohhh okay, I gotcha! So why would anybody run it at anything higher then 1? Just if they're Internet is slower?

Dang that sucks, may just run the crew chief app on my computer in the background then lol

nissan4ever
18-12-2015, 14:10
Yeah, my el' cheap o' tablet didn't like PCars Dash with UDP set to 1 or 2. Now that particular app says the range for it is 1 through 5. I have mine set to 5 & my tablet now has no lag with it.

RomKnight
18-12-2015, 14:41
On 5 HUD dash lags. I only have this one from very early days so I can't comment on other apps.
And I have a busy screen:
Still unable to test UDP values above 5 (slower)

Nickname85
19-12-2015, 04:45
Ohhh okay, I gotcha! So why would anybody run it at anything higher then 1? Just if they're Internet is slower?

Dang that sucks, may just run the crew chief app on my computer in the background then lol

As I understand... When you run 1 (fastest) and your (wireless) network doesn't keep up, the app is going to 'lag' behind. It will ask for more packages / second then it can handle. That's why sometimes the performance is better on a 'slower' setting (= less update packages /second)