PDA

View Full Version : Tablet mount

2pfspiff
23-12-2015, 20:30
I was wondering what people are using to mount their tablets for using apps. I have a Wheelstand Pro and I am looking for a tablet mount.

Thanks for any and all help.

Plato99
24-12-2015, 09:25
iPad magnetic cover wedged under the TV stand! Just hangs there, works great!!

nissan4ever
24-12-2015, 12:19
I've mainly being using my paddle shifters. So for now, since I wasn't using my TH8A shifter, I disconnected it from my TX base. Took the shifter knob off & use it as my so called stand for my tablet.

Daveesaunders
24-12-2015, 12:53
I found some flexible arms on ebay that can be clipped onto the edge of a flat surface, these will allow me to try different positions before I build something more permanent. I have a wheel stand racing and I should be able to attach it to the plate the steering wheel is mounted to. I ordered one for my ipad and one for my iphone, just waiting for them to arrive.

InfectedJerk
24-12-2015, 13:35
Since I do not have a tablet, I have the app on my phone. So I made a stand for my phone using dash filler for car stereo installation. I heated it up and bent it into the shape to hold my phone. Works great on my gaming desk.

BulletEyeDK
24-12-2015, 14:43
I bought this tablet holder for mouting in the car... it was pretty cheap approx. 8.5 total in denmark.

EDIT: im using a wheelstand pro too, and just used one of the extra metal arms that came with the wheelstand...

http://share.xboxlife.dk/file/ntlkztuzntmznjq2zdrlodkzzwzmmju4mzm0yzezndq.jpg

http://share.xboxlife.dk/file/yjjly2uxyty0mjk2mtyxnja3ztexndu3mwq0y2vhyja.jpg

2pfspiff
24-12-2015, 19:16
I bought this tablet holder for mouting in the car... it was pretty cheap approx. 8.5 total in denmark.

EDIT: im using a wheelstand pro too, and just used one of the extra metal arms that came with the wheelstand...

I never thought of that. Your set up is very clever and is what I am looking for.

nissan4ever
24-12-2015, 19:37

Yeah, that's a great job.

nissan4ever
24-12-2015, 20:09
I just ordered this. It has an extendable arm. I'll get it next week on Wednesday. I'll share pics, once I set it up. I ordered it off Amazon. I'll secure it to where my TH8A shifter was.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NIVGNE0/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_r1fFwbJEE1VJF

Haiden
24-12-2015, 22:59
I just ordered this. It has an extendable arm. I'll get it next week on Wednesday. I'll share pics, once I set it up. I ordered it off Amazon. I'll secure it to where my TH8A shifter was.

I saw this one, too, and think I'm going to get it. I just ordered the tabletop wheel deck for my GT Omega Art. I'm going to wait for that to arrive to see how much room it offers before I by the mount, though. It looks wide enough that I might be able to just use the tablet case to kickstand it.

nissan4ever
25-12-2015, 02:07
I saw this one, too, and think I'm going to get it. I just ordered the tabletop wheel deck for my GT Omega Art. I'm going to wait for that to arrive to see how much room it offers before I by the mount, though. It looks wide enough that I might be able to just use the tablet case to kickstand it.

Sounds good!

Haiden
27-12-2015, 00:00
Love this tabletop wheel deck. Although, it's not the tablet I plan to use, there's more than enough room for my 12' writing tablet. Gonna pick up a smaller one and a real button box as soon as I figure out a mounting solution.

nissan4ever
27-12-2015, 11:59
I just ordered the tabletop wheel deck for my GT Omega Art.

I'm fixing to run up to Lowe's Home Improvement Warehouse & pick me up some plexiglass. I'll get it cut in a rectangular shape. Then mount it where my shifter was on my wheel stand pro deluxe v2. On Wednesday, I'll attach my tablet car mount to it.

MAARTEN
27-12-2015, 12:12
Bought mine on Ebay. A very strong clamp and a flexible but strong adjustable long neck that holds my iPad mini. It sways a little if i touch the iPad but most of the times its just for display anyway.

nissan4ever
27-12-2015, 15:36
Well, I had a slight snafu drilling the first hole in the plexiglass. 2nd time was the charm :)

I've removed the TH8A shifter from my Wheel Stand Pro Deluxe V2. The plexiglass is installed & bolted. Now I'm just waiting on the tablet car mount to arrive on Wednesday.

I will use the tablet car mount supplied sticky bottom adhesive to stick it to the plexiglass permanently.

Haiden
27-12-2015, 16:02
Bought mine on Ebay. A very strong clamp and a flexible but strong adjustable long neck that holds my iPad mini. It sways a little if i touch the iPad but most of the times its just for display anyway.

Nice. Manufacturer/brand? Or a link to the seller?

inthebagbud
27-12-2015, 16:08
I just ordered the tabletop wheel deck for my GT Omega Art.

Looks like that would fit the playseat as well, might be worth a purchase

Thanks for the idea

MAARTEN
27-12-2015, 17:27
Nice. Manufacturer/brand? Or a link to the seller?

Here you got some http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Gooseneck+360+Lazy+Bed+Desk+Stand+Holder+Mount+For+iPad+2+3+4+Air+Mini+Tablet+dg&_id=111654832642&&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2658
They seem to have changed the design of the clamp some. But it should stick even better with the new version.

ashasha
27-12-2015, 19:10
I just made my own out of some acrylic and sticky hooks. Its been solid as a rock so far and I can pull it off with no damage to the wheel.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z4/ashasha3/20151227_142435_zpsvpokxsbd.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z4/ashasha3/20151227_142525_zps02on9uky.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z4/ashasha3/20151227_142404_zps9insxpo8.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z4/ashasha3/20151227_142507_zps2rcxikg3.jpg

Haiden
27-12-2015, 21:20
Looks like that would fit the playseat as well, might be worth a purchase

Thanks for the idea

Should work. It's basically flat, with holes that match the drill template in the original deck. If your Playseat wheel deck is drilled for the Clubsport wheel, then it should work--just sandwhich between the original deck and the wheel base.

Here you got some http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Gooseneck+360+Lazy+Bed+Desk+Stand+Holder+Mount+For+iPad+2+3+4+Air+Mini+Tablet+dg&_id=111654832642&&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2658
They seem to have changed the design of the clamp some. But it should stick even better with the new version.

Nice. Thanks!

Fanapryde
27-12-2015, 22:51

I use the same holder. The clamp is very strong, but I did not completely trust it. I removed it and hardmounted the flexible neck to my triple screen stand.
It did wobble a bit, but I solved that by means of a couple of tie raps.
My tablet now sits on top of my middle screen:

nissan4ever
28-12-2015, 16:18
Well, what a pleasant surprise! My tablet car mount came 2 days early. I've got it all set up.

Now for some more seat time.

GUTTER-BOY
24-01-2016, 16:13
I'm sorry for digging up a thread that's been dead for almost a month, but I was looking for a tablet/iPad mount too. I didn't see this thread because I'm a PS4 user and didn't think of checking to see what the Xbox One users were using for mounts. I figured this post I put up in the PS4 forums might help with (any platform) gamers finding a pretty good iPad mount for less than $20. Here's a copy of that post:

I received my Ignition Controls button box (model PS4/PC NB-1) and it's great! My problem was that others said it was drilled for a Ram Mount, so I went out and bought the mount (see page 32, post #319 of this thread). When I received the box, it wouldn't match up with the mounting holes. I went to a home center and picked up a plastic wall guard that is used to prevent door knobs from hitting the wall. It is self-adhesive, but I still used two M4 bolts just to be safe. I then used gel-type super glue to attach the mount to the wall guard that was stuck to the back of the button box. That way if I get a new rig I can move the button box and remove the mounting plate (wall guard). The Ram Mount has great adjustibility.

Since I was messing with my T150 and Wheelstand Pro, I decided to also mount an iPad so I can use the pcars dash app. I used this mount: Talent iClaw Mic or Music Stand Holder for Apple iPad from Parts Express and it works great:

http://www.parts-express.com/talent-iclaw-mic-or-music-stand-holder-for-apple-ipad--233-048

So now on the left side I have my button box and on the right I have my iPad attached to the Wheelstand Pro. I can use the pcars dash app, surf for car tuning info or check the football score all without having to leave my race seat.

Hammerpgh
27-01-2016, 14:59
Loving all these great ideas and it has reminded me I need to set up something more concrete myself rather than just resting my phone on a rubber grip mat and angled against a soft toy mouse lol. Sounds weird but has been working as a temporary solution.

I was planning on getting a tablet for this but my phone (Galaxy S6) does a great job already and I found a phone screen magnifier at my local pound store which increase the screen size to the equivalent of a tablet and with the new patch UDP improvements meaning we no longer have to touch our screens to change between pCars Dash screens I think it will do just fine. So now I just have to sort out a proper mount.

This racing is all getting very techie.. My netbook (running vrHive) sits on my left at an angle just in front of the TV and my phone running pCars Dash and Crew Chief is off to my right. Who would have thought it eh 

Mascot
27-01-2016, 15:11
I hang the tablet from its open case on a flat metal plate dropped into the gap between two bits of wood that clamp my TV to my Playseat TV mount. Works a treat.

Mascot
27-01-2016, 15:23
Love this tabletop wheel deck. Although, it's not the tablet I plan to use, there's more than enough room for my 12' writing tablet. Gonna pick up a smaller one and a real button box as soon as I figure out a mounting solution.

Where is the tabletop wheel deck from? That would clamp nicely between my wheel base and the wheel mount.

inthebagbud
07-02-2016, 10:47
its from GT Omega

Neil Bateman
07-02-2016, 12:12
Here is my holder, its a flexible arm so gives you a little scope for placement.

Sorry pics are a bit naff, crappy phone.

2pfspiff
08-02-2016, 23:03
Well, what a pleasant surprise! My tablet car mount came 2 days early. I've got it all set up.

Now for some more seat time.

That is also a great idea. Using the arm that comes with the Wheel stand pro. It would also help with the earphones for crew chief. The earphone cord should be able to reach as long as it doesn't get in the way of steering.

Haiden
08-03-2016, 23:29
If you got a bolt on your rig (and who doesn't :) ), this mount works great. I just installed it--quick, easy, and very sturdy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4ZF4NS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

BigDad
09-03-2016, 05:33
I use the same holder. The clamp is very strong, but I did not completely trust it. I removed it and hardmounted the flexible neck to my triple screen stand.
It did wobble a bit, but I solved that by means of a couple of tie raps.
My tablet now sits on top of my middle screen:

People always complain that pCars doesn't have good triple screen support . You look like you've overcome that quite nicely :-)
What's your secret ?
Your rig looks awesome .

Fanapryde
09-03-2016, 05:50
People always complain that pCars doesn't have good triple screen support . You look like you've overcome that quite nicely :-)
What's your secret ?
Your rig looks awesome .
Thanks !
There is indeed no proper screen support in PCars, which results in stretched view on the side monitors. You get used to it,
RaceRoom and GSCE also lack proper triple support, so they provide the same view. AC does have the right thing, but since that is it's only positieve point over the others, I quit this sim soon after I bought it.
In the meanwhile my rig has changed.
I just bought a SIMETIK K2 chassis, which has complete adjustability, is built like a tank and very competetive in price.
The triple setup is a stand alone, so that remained.

BigDad
09-03-2016, 06:13
Sweet .
What is not sweet is that you don't like AC , i haven't played it but am / was really looking forward to it on ps4 .
Do you think by the time it releases on console it may have more positive points ? Maybe a revisit might be worthy for you .
One can always dream / hope , as us on console don't have a heap of choice in racing Sims .

Fanapryde
09-03-2016, 07:54
What is not sweet is that you don't like AC.
See PM - too much off-topic here I'm afraid. :)

Mascot
09-03-2016, 10:37
I've now got two tablets mounted ghetto-style to the top of my screen in a similar way to I did the single tablet earlier in the thread...

... but I do like the idea of having the tablets either side of my wheel. I've been thinking of designing and getting a couple of galvanised steel sheets profiled, folded and powder coated so they can clamp between my wheel base and the wheel mount on my rig, something like the quick sketches below. There's an engineering shop near here who would rattle these off pretty easily.

Fanapryde
09-03-2016, 10:55
... but I do like the idea of having the tablets either side of my wheel. I've been thinking of designing and getting a couple of galvanised steel sheets profiled, folded and powder coated so they can clamp between my wheel base and the wheel mount on my rig, something like the quick sketches below. There's an engineering shop near here who would rattle these off pretty easily.
I have been playing with the exact same idea.
Tried to make one myself, but I did not like the result and having it done in an engineering shop where I live is WAY too expensive.
After all, I'm glad I did not succeed, since both sides of my wheel are now taken by the Fanatec SQ shifter on the right and the IgnitionControls button box on the left.
Pad location on top of the center screen is OK for me.

Dynomight Motorsports
09-03-2016, 11:13
I had mine suction-cupped to the top of my rig, but the feux Carbon Fiber I used wouldn't hold it so I had to use half of a CD jewel case screwed into the top to attach the suction cup.

Sum Dixon-Ear
09-03-2016, 11:58
I've now got two tablets mounted ghetto-style to the top of my screen in a similar way to I did the single tablet earlier in the thread...

I see you're still all a-tinkering there Mascot.... good man.

Just ordered an IgnitiON Controls NB1 button box, looking forward to that adorning the riglet.

Also just received some permanent vinyl adhesive 8mm dots in silver for the rim... quite nice too. I've got hundreds though, so if you fancy a couple of dozen, I'll pop them down to you post haste loon.

Mascot
09-03-2016, 12:05
I see you're still all a-tinkering there Mascot.... good man.

Just ordered an IgnitiON Controls NB1 button box, looking forward to that adorning the riglet.

Also just received some permanent vinyl adhesive 8mm dots in silver for the rim... quite nice too. I've got hundreds though, so if you fancy a couple of dozen, I'll pop them down to you post haste loon.

Ooh - very nice! Cheers buddy. Where did you source those little puppies? My coloured ones are showing wear so need replacing every month or so, but they are useful for finding buttons in the dark. Vinyl will be a lot more robust.

Sum Dixon-Ear
09-03-2016, 12:11
That's exactly why I ordered the permanent vinyl ones, those paper dots don't stand up so well. These seem to be much better quality, hopefully last more than a few weeks... as you say, they certainly enhance the visibility of the rim in race conditions.

Got them from here, good selection of colours... if you want to try out some silver ones let me know -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261471616270

Mascot
09-03-2016, 12:19
That's exactly why I ordered the permanent vinyl ones, those paper dots don't stand up so well. These seem to be much better quality, hopefully last more than a few weeks... as you say, they certainly enhance the visibility of the rim in race conditions.

Got them from here, good selection of colours... if you want to try out some silver ones let me know -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261471616270

Ordered in pink and gold! Yummy!

Sum Dixon-Ear
09-03-2016, 12:57
Ah so, going for the old 80s Oriental knocking-shop look eh... :D

Mine looks more like Crimbo at Asda to be fair.

2pfspiff
09-03-2016, 16:37

In the States thats called redneck engineering. I want to set mine up for 2 tablets. I run my iPad with Pcars dash and I run my android tablet with a different screen of Pcars dash and Crew chief app. I have to keep the Android close so I can use ear buds when I race with headphones.

Dynomight Motorsports
09-03-2016, 16:39
Oh two tablet-ing it I see.. Look at Mr Cheddar!!! LoL. You know it would be cool if someone could create an App that made the Rear View Mirror with headlights Or better yet RADAR like the Vette's, so the Game doesn't have to use too much of its resources. Simply mount on top of TV/monitor and check your rear view.

2pfspiff
10-03-2016, 04:07
Oh two tablet-ing it I see.. Look at Mr Cheddar!!! LoL. You know it would be cool if someone could create an App that made the Rear View Mirror with headlights Or better yet RADAR like the Vette's, so the Game doesn't have to use too much of its resources. Simply mount on top of TV/monitor and check your rear view.

:glee: The Android tablet was free for buying my 3 ungrateful mouches cell phones. And yet it still doesn't help me when we race, oh wait it does. I can watch my lap times get slower and I can see all of the damage I caused myself.

bigdaddyx2005
11-03-2016, 16:58
:glee: The Android tablet was free for buying my 3 ungrateful mouches cell phones. And yet it still doesn't help me when we race, oh wait it does. I can watch my lap times get slower and I can see all of the damage I caused myself.

i'm with ya man I got a tab. and my phone I dont use the tab yet just my phone in front of my wheel right now. but yeah its cool to have the apps running and see stuff all though I dont look at them that much.

Niki Lauda DK
19-05-2016, 17:39
http://share.xboxlife.dk/file/mwnmotazywnknjm4ownmnzu4ytm1mzg0mtnlngnjmwy.jpg

Glovesman
27-05-2016, 21:10
I used 2 4 lazy arm holders for the phone and keyboard and a 6 one for the tablet. I got the holders from Primark.

ao1977
01-06-2016, 07:49
Another gooseneck, attached to the playwood board that holds my DIY handbrake mod:

breyzipp
08-06-2016, 12:25
Which app are you guys using for this? Wanna try it on my iPad as well.

AbeWoz
08-06-2016, 12:29
pCARS dash is a great one.
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?43125-UDP-Compatible-Apps-List-Yours-Now!&p=1203288&viewfull=1#post1203288

Niki Lauda DK
17-06-2016, 20:55
Hud Dash (android) is my favourite. Maybe Dashmeter Pro could be used on the side screen...