PDA

View Full Version : Whos Bright Idea Was This?

oldmodelt
31-12-2015, 08:37
AP: Deep in the bowels of Turn 10 studios the powers that be were currently fine tuning the last aspects of their signature game Forza Motorsport 6 shortly before its release. One of the designers explains how the career structure works.

“The amazing thing about this part of the game is if the driver doesn’t finish in the 1 through 3 spots they have to run the whole race over to complete that part of the career. So that if they guess wrong on the Drivatar difficulty or take damage from our AI in simulation because that’s the only way to really experience the pits or any of a multitude of scenarios like tire changes it forces them to rerun the whole race in its entirety. It’s a fool proof way for us to extend the playing life of our game. With just some of the endurance races like a 30 LAP RACE AT LE MANS THEY HAVE TO RUN THE 2 HOURS AGAIN. :mad:

And some of them will gladly do it many times over.”

The powers that be smile and realize they might just have a “cash cow” on their hands.

Thank you T10 for convincing me that my endurance racing will be done with Project Cars from now on. :)

PTG Baby Cow
31-12-2015, 14:41
Honestly with the fuel usage the way it is in fm6 i wouldn't want to do endurance racing on that over pcars anyways. There are just so many options which should be there for endurance racing that arent it isn't worth it on fm6 anyways. You know simple ones like amount of fuel so you can try to match your tyres with your fuel, choice of tyre compound (wait they have that but it has nothing to do with racing whatsoever.....). Differing pit stop lengths depending on damage, what you are having done in the pits etc....

RacerPaul65
31-12-2015, 14:42
hi t :D I have no endurance when it comes to gaming. I'll do 10 laps as long as they're not long ones :eek-new:

PTG Baby Cow
31-12-2015, 14:45
Oh yea, i forgot to mention dynamic day night, weather, and track condition depending on drivers etc.

RomKnight
31-12-2015, 14:53
2h is just 2 stints. Endurance? Barely :P

beetes_juice
31-12-2015, 14:57
Put on top of that FM Turn 1 Syndrome: 24 car career/multiplayer grid + 3-4 lap races = kamikaze fest in T1. With that I'll do all my racing over in pcars.

FM is a funny game. I look at FM as a stepping stone for entry into the sim world; good game to get your feet wet, learn some cars/brands, and drive some tracks. With that, the game promotes horrible driving style, race management, pit strategy, etc. They could do/add a few little things to please the sim crowd (not that it will ever be a sim) but I think that would ruffle the feathers of the more casual racers (money).

Plato99
31-12-2015, 15:00
They are so out of touch it's not funny anymore.
My son had FM6 for Xmas. I sat down to play it yesterday. Forced to watch that video again of the kids in the playground (wha?), followed by a completely unfulfilling race in a boring road car (Ford GT) around a boring track, against more boring road cars, with auto gears and auto brakes.
Forgive me for saying so, but since May 8th I've been a little bit spoilt.
RIP Forza, we'll remember how good you were up to version 4.

d4ninho
31-12-2015, 16:42
ah yes who would want to play a game that works every time, no lag and set ups save properly.

Yes pcars could be good but its not, way too many things wrong with it, only once the game works every time as intended can it be put up against forza ( if it worked it would be better )
but while its this broken it simply comes in last.

Tomcul
31-12-2015, 17:14
^^^ how did you break the game so badly? My one works pretty well.
There's never going to be any point comparing pcars with forza..

Nic Jackson
31-12-2015, 17:42
Cannot compare the two....Forza is aimed at a large gaming community with a plug and play attitude to the drving experience.

Whereas P.Cars is a lot more in depth and angled towards the somewhat smaller community of people who will spend time setting up various aspects of the cars. Project Cars with it's issues is a far more rewarding in the aspect of the driving experience, you actually know if you have just completed a good lap in a series of laps it's that immersive.

Oops I just compared the two.:rolleyes:

But each to their own if people enjoy F.6 thats fine, Project Cars thats fine too.

RomKnight
31-12-2015, 18:20
Cannot compare the two....Forza is aimed at a large gaming community with a plug and play attitude to the drving experience.

Whereas P.Cars is a lot more in depth and angled towards the somewhat smaller community of people who will spend time setting up various aspects of the cars. Project Cars with it's issues is a far more rewarding in the aspect of the driving experience, you actually know if you have just completed a good lap in a series of laps it's that immersive.

But each to their own if people enjoy F.6 thats fine, Project Cars thats fine too.

Write that in the tyre physics thread if/when it reopens ;p

oldmodelt
31-12-2015, 19:09
hi t :D I have no endurance when it comes to gaming. I'll do 10 laps as long as they're not long ones :eek-new:

So you must love the Karts. lol

Blunt RS
31-12-2015, 19:58
AP: Deep in the bowels of Turn 10 studios the powers that be were currently fine tuning the last aspects of their signature game Forza Motorsport 6 shortly before its release. One of the designers explains how the career structure works.

“The amazing thing about this part of the game is if the driver doesn’t finish in the 1 through 3 spots they have to run the whole race over to complete that part of the career. So that if they guess wrong on the Drivatar difficulty or take damage from our AI in simulation because that’s the only way to really experience the pits or any of a multitude of scenarios like tire changes it forces them to rerun the whole race in its entirety. It’s a fool proof way for us to extend the playing life of our game. With just some of the endurance races like a 30 LAP RACE AT LE MANS THEY HAVE TO RUN THE 2 HOURS AGAIN. :mad:

And some of them will gladly do it many times over.”

The powers that be smile and realize they might just have a “cash cow” on their hands.

Thank you T10 for convincing me that my endurance racing will be done with Project Cars from now on. :)

At a guess T10 not SMS, don't they have their own forum

Nic Jackson
31-12-2015, 20:05
Write that in the tyre physics thread if/when it reopens ;p

Even with the tyre physics issue which I have written about still the more in depth game by far.

rtazz17
31-12-2015, 20:23
ah yes who would want to play a game that works every time, no lag and set ups save properly.

Yes pcars could be good but its not, way too many things wrong with it, only once the game works every time as intended can it be put up against forza ( if it worked it would be better )
Agreed,why was this thread even started? Of course most here are going to say forza is crud.... But it works!Hmmmmm,novel idea... It didnt take 11 patches to make it right which pc is still not...Come on this is a useless one sided thread.

Comparing any aspect of these two games has no merit.They are two totally different games aimed at two totally different crowds.Why do both these games always have to get compared.Its ok to like both of them.I do know that one is broken and the other is not.I have both.One of them I dont get enraged at and the other I do.One of them I have fun with the other I dont because I spend an hour doing workarounds everytime I try to play it.Oh and new bugs are introduced with every attempt at a patch for one of them.

Just Another Frog
31-12-2015, 20:33

Yes, people tend to forget that ever copy of PCars comes complete with a free pair of rose tinted spectacles.

It's funny you should say that because I've just spent the entire afternoon (and most of this evening) upgrading, tuning, re-tuning and generally tinkering with my D Class Toyota Celica in order to find that extra half second to make it officially the world's fastest of it's divisional class on the Sonoma short track - so just remember that not every Forza user spends his life tuning a van, writing a load of profanities on it's bodywork and going online to simply look cool by trashing other racers. You may be shocked to realise that some people actually DO spend a great deal of time setting up their cars in order make them more competitive both online and offline on the leaderboards. Rewarding experiences are not exclusive to PCars, you know! It would be nice just for once if people stopped jumping to incorrect conclusions about the mentality of Forza racers by implying that we're just a bunch of "quick fix" merchants with seemingly no intelligence to recognise what is and what isn't an immersive racing game.

As for the OP, well i'm really not sure exactly what he's implying. Does he not realise that, just like PCars, it's possible to set an (upto) 50 lap free play race with 1-23 AI opponents on any track and with any class of car endurance race with no restrictions as to where you're supposed to finish ? If that's not endurance enough (50 laps around the ring in a D class car is a whisker short of 9 hours - I know because I've done it) then I fail to understand exactly what he's looking for.

kevin kirk
31-12-2015, 23:06
No fov options not buying it. That simple

Flat_out
01-01-2016, 01:21
Have to say.
Got forza6 at Christmas and really wasn't hoping for much after the demo!
But I would love to know how many hours all these haters have playing the game.
I absolutely hate the way the game plays early on compared to PCARS!

But after playing for a good few hours and getting used to tuning the likes of GT3 cars I'm afraid this game turns out a lot better than a lot of people on here give it credit for!!

oldmodelt
01-01-2016, 07:34
At a guess T10 not SMS, don't they have their own forum

Because this is RL. And companies like feedback. So you let both know what's up and we as consumers hopefully benefit

bluesky0870
01-01-2016, 13:06
Because this is RL. And companies like feedback. So you let both know what's up and we as consumers hopefully benefit

Why don't you post your FM6 bashing at the T10 forum then to make sure that you as a customer will really benefit? Or do you really think that T10 is reading in this little forum here? It is easy to blame on someone who is not near. But it is cowardly also.

TKMSte66
01-01-2016, 13:42
Bought Forza and was totally let down. Not played it in a month. Dont even get me started on the canned tyre noise and the hyper sensitive brakes.

Blunt RS
01-01-2016, 15:46
Project CARS on Xbox One found on http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/forum.php
Forza 6 Discussion found on http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_forum13_Forza-Motorsport-6.aspx

As Penny would say holy crap on a cracker.

Haiden
01-01-2016, 16:59
I was hoping for more from FM6, but it's just a slightly updated FM5, which I spent two years stuck in, so it's hard to get into FM6. I will admit, though, when I first tried it I hated it. But I gave it another shot later and found that the higher class cars aren't that bad. What I hate is the tire squealing. It's over done, and just gets plain maddening after a while. I also hate constantly fighting oversteer. I shouldn't hear the tire squealing and lose the back end doing 35 in a Ferrari around an easy corner. That's just stupid. And the tire squealing always sounds the same. Doesn't really matter how hard your sliding or in what car.

IMO, (bugs aside) the major difference is this... FM6 has more depth for gamers--lots of cars, upgrades, achievement grind, custom liveries, works well with controller, easy static one-fits-all FFB, etc. PCars has more depth for sim racers--FoV and seat position settings, no grind; no locks, wheel-first focus (I'm sorry, but most sim racers don't care about controllers), no canned effects, full FFB customization to suit your personal style, dynamic weather and time transitions, realistic sounds, third-party app support, more button mappings, better camera views, better simulated world movement, etc.

The other thing I've noticed is (and again, this is just my opinion and speaking general terms. I'm sure there are expections), PCars fans seem to be more knowledgeable about race craft than FM6 fans. Again, in general. Yes there are FM6 fans that are highly knowledgeable about race craft, but, for the most part, I see more knowledge on the PCars side. Which, isn't really surprising, because T10 has never really structured the title to promote/reward race etiquette.

ashasha
01-01-2016, 17:40
I have a love/hate thing going on with FM6.

Building cars and tuning them can be fun. The replay is beautiful and extremely smooth. Winning credits or points or whatever it is called to buy more cars is actually entertaining.

But while I will admit that I appear to be the exception to the rule I have had just as many issues with FM6 as PCARS; which to be honest are not many at all from either. I have had a total of 3 crashes to the dashboard combined and I have had PCARS for much longer than FM6. Online racing with FM6 is not perfect; I've been kicked several times and have seen some nasty lag from other racers.

The biggest problem I have with FM6 is that there are three kinds of racers I come across online all the time. First are the guys that have a perfect tune for each track for like each class and I have no chance of catching. Many of them cut corners as well....I've seen it many times. The second are the guys that are either new and don't know how to race and seem to drop out after the first or second lap; usually after screwing up several player's race. The third one of course are the buttheads who like to just try to wreck everyone. Simply stated I don't fall into any of those groups. I can put in some fast laps, but my build/tuning skills are not up there with the really fast guys and it's just not much fun to race online knowing that I am going to be desroyed; not because of my driving, but because the playing field is not balanced in terms of the tools. I'm not saying that those guys aren't better drivers, but I don't stand a chance and the race is over before it starts. That's just not even remotely realistic to racing where there is a reason for classes in the first place.

So I end up playing offline a lot in single player in full sim mode with no rewinds against unbeatable....which isn't even a challenge. I end up starting almost every race on poll and once again the race is over unless I screw up and go off track in which case I usually end up with a podium finish anyway.

My point is that it's really, really hard for me to get competitive race that is realistic in FM6 right now. PCARS on the other hand delivers a much better challenge and the cars are a lot more fun to drive most of the time. Performing an overtake feels a lot more rewarding because I have to plan for it rather than just blow by everyone because my car is so much faster.

Just Another Frog
01-01-2016, 21:51
Why don't you post your FM6 bashing at the T10 forum then to make sure that you as a customer will really benefit? Or do you really think that T10 is reading in this little forum here? It is easy to blame on someone who is not near. But it is cowardly also.

He did.

Project CARS on Xbox One found on http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/forum.php
Forza 6 Discussion found on http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_forum13_Forza-Motorsport-6.aspx

As Penny would say holy crap on a cracker.

Haha, it took a while before the penny dropped (excuse the pun) and I commend you for your TBBT knowledge because i'm sure she only ever said that once.

Blunt RS
01-01-2016, 23:51
;) She's the best

oldmodelt
02-01-2016, 05:15

A little easy search on your part would have turned up the fact that this issue was posted on the FM forums in it's entirety before it was put here. But I guess that might be too hard for you to do. And yes I think the powers that be do have people reading each others forums. It's called competition.

Seems I'm not so cowardly but that you are very lazy.

Ian Bell
02-01-2016, 05:34
I hate it when I feel a bit of Schadenfreude.

lancashirelad
02-01-2016, 09:48
^^^^^^^^
Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed :)

Pcars Driver 44
02-01-2016, 11:19
Hi Ian I'm sorry this is an English speaking Forum only :rolleyes:.Just saying before the mods do :p.

bluesky0870
02-01-2016, 17:07
A little easy search on your part would have turned up the fact that this issue was posted on the FM forums in it's entirety before it was put here. But I guess that might be too hard for you to do. And yes I think the powers that be do have people reading each others forums. It's called competition.

Seems I'm not so cowardly but that you are very lazy.

If so (yes, I am too lazy and too little intetested in the FM- forum), I send you my honest apologies. It clearly is my mistake.

bluesky0870
02-01-2016, 17:11

Feel free to feel even a lot of Schadenfreude. I couldn't care less about that.

oldmodelt
02-01-2016, 19:59
If so (yes, I am too lazy and too little intetested in the FM- forum), I send you my honest apologies. It clearly is my mistake.

We are all good. I'll even send you a FR. That way we might be able to run a few. Unfortunately with my crappy RL schedule, career modes in games are my mainstay. But I would love the chance to see my times scorched by you guys on the various leaderboards. Remember these are games and they should be fun. And if you decide not to friend me that's okay. I understand I'm too old and not too cool. :cool:

Invincible
02-01-2016, 20:21

And I love it when Brits (or Irish folks in Ian's case) use German words. :D

bluesky0870
02-01-2016, 20:24
We are all good. I'll even send you a FR. That way we might be able to run a few. Unfortunately with my crappy RL schedule, career modes in games are my mainstay. But I would love the chance to see my times scorched by you guys on the various leaderboards. Remember these are games and they should be fun. And if you decide not to friend me that's okay. I understand I'm too old and not too cool. :cool:

You are never too old until you feel like being it. I am in the mid 40's too, so for a usual gamer way too old too.
If I can get my hands on my XB1 I'll have a look into the friends requests. For me there is no reason to deny your request. To be honest I feel pleased about that reaction. It is a noble sign and gesture.

oldmodelt
05-01-2016, 05:32
You are never too old until you feel like being it. I am in the mid 40's too, so for a usual gamer way too old too.
If I can get my hands on my XB1 I'll have a look into the friends requests. For me there is no reason to deny your request. To be honest I feel pleased about that reaction. It is a noble sign and gesture.

Mid 40's. I have underwear that's older than that. Clean of course. FR is in your box as I type. I promise not to act like this.
https://youtu.be/8IIU2GCFbJc

I run most cars stock as the tuning is rather laborious in the least.