PDA

View Full Version : Critic Dissects WMD Entity

Saloei
02-01-2016, 17:28
Just saw this at youtube. The poster methodically dissects Project Cars and WMD. I was wondering if he's here in this forum incognito. The information he talks about sound like he's reading the "Unhandled Exception" thread on this forum.

Link to video>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePppN4TXy9I

Umer Ahmad
02-01-2016, 17:40
Empty Box again

I'll save y'all 6 minutes of your life

He says:

1. He does not like/support SMS
2. He thinks the game is average
3. He does not like a subsection of the community (mentions all gaming genres have a subsection that are aggressive)
4. If you like project cars that is fine
5. He will not make anymore project cars videos

kevin kirk
02-01-2016, 17:54
I don't want to make a video about project cars so I'm going to make a video about project cars to say I don't want to make a video about project cars. Funny because this guys review about project cars is what made me decide to get project cars. Each game has different tracks and different cars. If you want to race on all the tracks in all the cars out there,your going to have to play 2 or 3 different games.

Dorny
02-01-2016, 18:02
He likes his own voice and opinion, has a youtube account, he is not a fan of SMS or Project cars and thats about it. And people need to take what he says with a pinch of salt. Its his own opinion, he can dislike or like what he wants.

However I do feel he is one of these idiots that is stuck in his own opinion of what is realistic, all from playing other racing simulators and has no real life experience and nothing will change that. I also do dislike the way he makes out that SMS lied or that WMD/SMS cant take criticism.

Which is rubbish. There is a massive difference between saying "I feel this aspect of the game is wrong because of XYZ" and "This is shit and is not realistic" or some snarky comment at how AC is better.

If you were in WMD you would know there were people that were very critical of the game with feedback and were never banned because they kept it cleaned and was clear concise feedback. When people did get banned it's because they crossed that line from being informative into being insults and personal attacks or just being childish and disrupting the workplace.

The other thing alot of the SMS naysayers/idiots forget is that not everything goes to plan. They are complaining that features and ideas that were in the game design didn't end up in the final game which they accuse SMS of being liars or misleading.

This is wrong again, it was a GAME DESIGN DOCUMENT, this is where you put your initial ideas down and pretty much nearly shoot for the stars for ideas. This is your mood board or end goal and you also guestimate how this will be done in the development time. You try these new ideas, some work and some just become failed tech demos. Or aspects of the game took a lot longer than originally planed, or features turned out to be alot more technical and demanding than originally planned.

An example of this would of been the animated pitstops, they definitely were being worked on for a long time as they were in the WMD builds for ages, but they were buggy, broken, didn't sync up. Im guessing SMS at the start didn't realise how much of a job it is to have bespoke pit stop animations for each car and different racing series.

This is what idiots don't realise about WMD, it is a virtual work space and they saw a game project start from the initial concept and game design documentation to the end product. The public don't normally know or see the game announced until easily 2 years have already been worked on the game. So people didn't see or know of the failed ideas or initial features the game was originally planned to have.

Now people like Emptybox will see this post as some sort of "SMS fanboy defence" but it is far from that. People from WMD will know that I've been harsh and critical about the game and I am definitely no blind following fanboy. I'm just sick of idiots attacking a game development team for what is basically the reality of game development.

Saloei
02-01-2016, 19:42
My only complaint about this game is not being able to save custom camera settings. That should've been fixed! I purchased this game back in March 2015, and have had one Unhandled Exception error. I got that error when I lowered my radiator fan speed. I've gotten two black screens during on-line racing, but it's not consistent so I never made a issue of it. I've never played a pc game that's never hiccupped.

I'm still waiting for Custom Camera Settings save option!

Konan
02-01-2016, 20:50
He likes his own voice and opinion, has a youtube account, he is not a fan of SMS or Project cars and thats about it. And people need to take what he says with a pinch of salt. Its his own opinion, he can dislike or like what he wants.

However I do feel he is one of these idiots that is stuck in his own opinion of what is realistic, all from playing other racing simulators and has no real life experience and nothing will change that. I also do dislike the way he makes out that SMS lied or that WMD/SMS cant take criticism.

Which is rubbish. There is a massive difference between saying "I feel this aspect of the game is wrong because of XYZ" and "This is shit and is not realistic" or some snarky comment at how AC is better.

If you were in WMD you would know there were people that were very critical of the game with feedback and were never banned because they kept it cleaned and was clear concise feedback. When people did get banned it's because they crossed that line from being informative into being insults and personal attacks or just being childish and disrupting the workplace.

The other thing alot of the SMS naysayers/idiots forget is that not everything goes to plan. They are complaining that features and ideas that were in the game design didn't end up in the final game which they accuse SMS of being liars or misleading.

This is wrong again, it was a GAME DESIGN DOCUMENT, this is where you put your initial ideas down and pretty much nearly shoot for the stars for ideas. This is your mood board or end goal and you also guestimate how this will be done in the development time. You try these new ideas, some work and some just become failed tech demos. Or aspects of the game took a lot longer than originally planed, or features turned out to be alot more technical and demanding than originally planned.

An example of this would of been the animated pitstops, they definitely were being worked on for a long time as they were in the WMD builds for ages, but they were buggy, broken, didn't sync up. Im guessing SMS at the start didn't realise how much of a job it is to have bespoke pit stop animations for each car and different racing series.

This is what idiots don't realise about WMD, it is a virtual work space and they saw a game project start from the initial concept and game design documentation to the end product. The public don't normally know or see the game announced until easily 2 years have already been worked on the game. So people didn't see or know of the failed ideas or initial features the game was originally planned to have.

Now people like Emptybox will see this post as some sort of "SMS fanboy defence" but it is far from that. People from WMD will know that I've been harsh and critical about the game and I am definitely no blind following fanboy. I'm just sick of idiots attacking a game development team for what is basically the reality of game development.

I see your point and i agree...
What i don't understand however is that you say that people only got banned for being insulting and personal (rightfully so) and a couple of sentences later you call the critics idiots...more than once...
It's not because some people don't understand the workings of developing that they have to be called idiots...I can include myself to these "idiots" then...
Seems pretty insulting and personal to me...

Dorny
02-01-2016, 21:13
I didn't call any critics idiots, I called idiots, idiots, because they will argue with the professionals and how to do their job when they are completely uneducated about it. What also reinforces me to call them idiots is that even when someone with experience explains nicely they will just dismiss it or ignore it and carry on with their opinion.

So no I have not called any critics idiots or anything, but morons with opinions or desktop warriors I have called them idiots.

Again there is a big differences between being uneducated about a subject and being wrong and willing to listen or discuss and those that just have opinions and state them as fact and will argue even with people that have PHDs in the subject. They argue for the sake of arguing.

When people have been banned in WMD, its because they behaved unprofessionally. WMD was a virtual office, so you had the public interacting with the real SMS team and the boss. And the guys that were banned or warned who then acted afterwards like they didn't know why they were in trouble, must be children or people that have never had real jobs. Because if I said the things that the banned/warned people were saying to my work colleges or boss I would be fired on the spot. Its like they don't know how to socially interact in a working environment.

Konan
02-01-2016, 21:18
I didn't call any critics idiots, I called idiots idiots, because they will argue with the professionals and how to do their job when they are completely uneducated about it. What also reinforces me to call them idiots is that even when someone with experience explains nicely they will just dismiss it or ignore it and carry on with their opinion.

So no I have not called any critics idiots or anything, but morons with opinions or desktop warriors I have called them idiots.

Again there is a big differences between being uneducated about a subject and being wrong and willing to listen or discuss and those that just have opinions and state them as fact and will argue even with people that have PHDs in the subject.

Point taken...if you say it like that it makes a lot more sense
I'm an idiot and need more explanation than others...lol
Sorry about that :cool:

Dorny
02-01-2016, 21:25
Point taken...if you say it like that it makes a lot more sense
I'm an idiot and need more explanation than others...lol
Sorry about that :cool:

Your not an idiot :p because your willing to listen/learn/discuss. WMD community snapped at people in the past that didn't, because after 2-3 years of people saying the same false statements or opinions as facts it gets tiring. It must me x10 worse for SMS team.

Konan
02-01-2016, 21:30
Your not an idiot :p because your willing to listen/learn/discuss. WMD community snapped at people in the past that didn't, because after 2-3 years of people saying the same false statements or opinions as facts it gets tiring. It must me x10 worse for SMS team.

Yes I can imagine that...
I must say I was a bit frustrated about the lack of communication lately until Ian opened a thread and cleared a lot of stuff up....not all good and that must have been real hard for him to do...
So I have nothing but respect for all involved in this game...

rams1de
02-01-2016, 22:23
Empty Box again

I'll save y'all 6 minutes of your life

He says:

1. He does not like/support SMS
2. He thinks the game is average
3. He does not like a subsection of the community (mentions all gaming genres have a subsection that are aggressive)
4. If you like project cars that is fine
5. He will not make anymore project cars videos

Interesting response from someone who was active in generating pre-release hype and will have gained many new subscribers on the back of his PCars videos.

I find his dismissive attitude towards those people mildly offensive and quite hypocritical in light of some of his comments about SMS staff.

Perhaps a more honest answer to "Why no more Projects Cars from me" would be "because I never liked the game and I've made all the cash I want from the game now, thanks"

Haiden
02-01-2016, 22:53
I saw that video a few days ago, watched about half of it and turned it off. Halfway through, and he hadn't even gotten to the point. He was talking about himself and what other people were probably going to say about him dropping PCars from his reviews. A bit presumptuous...LOL Anyway, I already knew his feelings on PCars, so it didn't matter. I agree with Dorny, though. He's kind of an idiot, stuck in own world. In some of his reviews he dings PCars for things that aren't even wrong. They're just features that don't match his personal preference.

But, to be honest, his real offense is his voice. It's just too annoying for me to listen to for more than a minute. :)