PDA

View Full Version : AI pit strategy question

Chevelle81
03-01-2016, 03:37
I am wondering what the AI does for pit stops. Mostly, I wanted to know how much fuel they take. If less then a full tank is needed to finish a race will they take only what is needed or fill it up all the way?

I ask because this is the only reason I can think of to explain the outcome of a recent race. I decided to do the GT3 endurance series and run race lengths that would involve 2 pits stops. On the last pit stop, I was running P2 and the leader pitted with an 18 second lead over me. I pitted on the next lap and somehow came out with a 2 second lead. I stretched it out and won the race but I really should not have won. I only took exactly as much fuel as I needed to finish the race (in fact I did not have enough for another lap.) I took about 40l (a total of 70 out of 130 possible) of fuel during the stop. That leads me to believe the AI filled his tank full which would take much longer and result in the huge loss of time. I mean, 20+ seconds difference after pit stops?

Also, I should add that damage and mechanical failures are turned off and I can't image a mistake or crash by the AI that would cost 20 seconds.

Alexandre Bardet
03-01-2016, 05:15
I have been told that the AI uses "simplified physics" so probably it's the same for tire/fuel strategy. Expect the AI to use in race either full tanks or the default value there is for each car and expect them to always top it up back again when they pit, regardless of how many laps or any other circumstances. So if you want a more challenging race vs the AI just do the same, ignore fuel strategy, that way you won't gain huge advantages for free.

N0body Of The Goat
03-01-2016, 09:16
I don't know if it applies to other cars, but the wear rate of some AI Formula A tyres is considerably faster than our equivalent tyre.

Set x7 tyre wear in options, choose a track where you have default Formula A setup, see the AI pit multiple laps before you will need to.

PostBox981
03-01-2016, 09:48
Is there anyone around knowing more details about AI pit strategy? Me too I would like to learn more about it.

For sure it is a simplified system, as it would require an enormous effort to make pit strategy work perfect for the AI under all and every circumstances (changing weather, time multiplier, tyre wear of different tyre types, fuel consumption, to name just a few). The more interesting it would be to learn a little more about the routines behind it.

Yesterday I was racing in a 10 lap race in the Lotus 98T (invitational event). All assists off, AI at 78%, no time multiplication, everything on "real". Weather was hazy with no change in sight. After 8 laps I was in a comfortable 3rd place, when I saw the two cars in front of me pit for whatever reason. So I easily won that race. No idea what the reason for that pit stop was. No reason to refuel, tyres were fine. Only explanation I have is that they probably damaged both cars in a battle for first. But it felt quite like more others were pitting as well, not sure about this.

Lewis Puppy
03-01-2016, 15:36
On the last pit stop, I was running P2 and the leader pitted with an 18 second lead over me. I pitted on the next lap and somehow came out with a 2 second lead. I stretched it out and won the race but I really should not have won. I only took exactly as much fuel as I needed to finish the race (in fact I did not have enough for another lap.) I took about 40l (a total of 70 out of 130 possible) of fuel during the stop.

Why did you change the fuel amount on your last pitstop? The AI doesn't change it so why would you? You cheated the AI (and really yourself too and your race experience if you're into absolute fairness) and I suggest re-running the race. It's the gentleAI'ly thing to do.

PostBox981
03-01-2016, 16:44
Why did you change the fuel amount on your last pitstop? The AI doesn't change it so why would you? You cheated the AI (and really yourself too and your race experience if you're into absolute fairness) and I suggest re-running the race. It's the gentleAI'ly thing to do.

Why??? Thereīs about a hundred reasons to change the amount of fuel. E.g. if you start on softs for the first 15 laps and then change to hard to finish the final 20 laps without another pit stop. Just an example, I know the whole tyre thing is a little broken atm.

This is why you CAN change the fuel amount. So if the AI doesnīt adopt the fuel amount to the race length it is their problem and the player wins the race for the reason of a better strategy.

Lewis Puppy
03-01-2016, 17:35
You can change the fuel amount for qualy but not for race. You should adjust the AI speed to match your race speed. You shouldn't exploit the AI during the pitstops where both you and I know it's just bad programming at the moment.

Winning as a driver should be about ability, not about fully knowing and exploiting a decided advantage over the AI currently. For me, this is not my idea of exhilaration. Where is your decency??

Chevelle81
03-01-2016, 20:28
I am just now getting into the longer races that actually require pit stops. I never thought about the AI using one single pit strategy every time. Quit frankly, I think that is pretty stupid to program it that way. In real life you're not going to sit there and fill the tank full when you only need half or less to finish. They even have a term for this, a "splash and go."

As for what I did, I didn't know this was an "exploit" as you called it which is why I brought this up here. Is this in fact the case? Does the AI take the same amount of full every stop? The main reason I decided to do long races was for the strategy of it. Calculating how much fuel I need. Figuring out how long my tires are going to last, should I switch to a harder tire? I actually did this in the race above, I went from softs to mediums and back to softs again to finish the race. Along with my near perfect fuel calculation I thought I did a great job on strategy. If the AI does, in fact, take the same amount of fuel and same tire compound every time then that really ruins the fun of it.

PostBox981
04-01-2016, 18:01
You can change the fuel amount for qualy but not for race. You should adjust the AI speed to match your race speed. You shouldn't exploit the AI during the pitstops where both you and I know it's just bad programming at the moment.

Winning as a driver should be about ability, not about fully knowing and exploiting a decided advantage over the AI currently. For me, this is not my idea of exhilaration. Where is your decency??

I know about some AI flaws, but I didnīt know anything about AI race strategy issues so far. So I agree, knowing that the AI ALWAYS behaves like you described and changing the own strategy is "not fair". I also like it fair and clean, but I never thought about AI strategy and their possible flaws by now.

This is why I didnīt see the point in not changing the fuel amount from one pit stop to another, as this is every day business in racing. As I already said, I would like to learn more about AI strategy settings. If somebody would make me understand what they do, I could react accordingly.

Lewis Puppy
04-01-2016, 23:28
I know about some AI flaws, but I didnīt know anything about AI race strategy issues so far. So I agree, knowing that the AI ALWAYS behaves like you described and changing the own strategy is "not fair". I also like it fair and clean, but I never thought about AI strategy and their possible flaws by now.

This is why I didnīt see the point in not changing the fuel amount from one pit stop to another, as this is every day business in racing. As I already said, I would like to learn more about AI strategy settings. If somebody would make me understand what they do, I could react accordingly.

I came to understand by general observation. But who knows, this could change in the upcoming patches.

PostBox981
05-01-2016, 16:29
I wish these things would be explained to the customer somewhere. But these days you donīt even get a proper manual for the main game setup options... :sour: