PDA

View Full Version : PS4 "Rest" and FFB settings - Menu Spring and Low Speed Spring [SOLVED]

bradleyland
03-01-2016, 16:51
I've noticed that if I put my PS4 in to "Rest Mode" with PCars running, when I return, some of my FFB settings are different. The most noticeable are the Menu Spring and Low Speed Spring settings, but I'm not sure if other settings are changing as well. To reproduce the issue:

Adjust the Menu Spring value to 0.0.
Put the PS4 in "Rest" mode.
Wait for the PS4 to rest fully (the wheel will go through calibration).
Wake the PS4 (the wheel will calibrate again).
Note that the wheel springs to center in the menus. Changing the setting has no effect.

I've noticed the same issue applies to the Low Speed Spring Saturation setting. I have mine set to 0.35, but upon return from rest, the wheel centers while the car is stationary.

Closing and restarting PCars restores the correct settings.

Has anyone else observed this issue?

SOLVED

Thrustmaster does not support "Rest Mode" on PS4.

Thanks to FerryF1 for the tip which lead to the source.

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/faqs/eng/thr_eng_00160.pdf

Relevant Excerpt:

=============================================================================
Two important remarks to avoid some Force Feedback or calibration issues in
PlayStation®4 games

# REMARK No.1:

On your PS4TM system, DISABLE the KEEP APPLICATION SUSPENDED functionality for
the REST MODE. For this, go to Settings / Power Saving Settings / Set
Functions Available in Rest Mode. Here we highly recommend to disable the Keep
Application Suspended box, mostly if you use the REST MODE to turn off your
PS4TM.

copes24
03-01-2016, 18:01
Why are you using rest mode? It takes less than a minute to shutdown & boot my PS4. I wouldn't expect to be able to just jump in out like that when disconnecting the wheel. If you really need to use rest mode at least close the game first.

copes24
04-01-2016, 06:51
Your response is a bit OTT. All I did was ask for more information and gave you my opinion that you probably won't be able to do what you want to do. Sorry you didn't find it helpful. I will take a pass next time, as you wish.

thegt500
05-01-2016, 07:38
Have you tried disconnecting the wheel after the PS4 enters sleep mode, then re connecting it and letting calibrate when in the main pCARS menu after restart ?
I personally only use sleep mode if I'm away for any length of time and want to keep firmware up to date so haven't experienced this problem.
Good luck with it.

Roger Prynne
05-01-2016, 11:50
copes24 was only trying to determine why you do what you do bradleyland, if you don't like an answer just don't reply to it.
This is how threads get locked when these sort of arguments start.

bradleyland
05-01-2016, 14:15
Have you tried disconnecting the wheel after the PS4 enters sleep mode, then re connecting it and letting calibrate when in the main pCARS menu after restart ?
I personally only use sleep mode if I'm away for any length of time and want to keep firmware up to date so haven't experienced this problem.
Good luck with it.

I haven't tried that. I'll give that a go next time I fire the game up.

bradleyland
05-01-2016, 14:30
copes24 was only trying to determine why you do what yo do do bradleyland, if you don't like an answer just don't reply to it.
This is how threads get locked when these sort of arguments start.

Respectfully, I disagree. He wasn't trying to determine anything; all of his questions were rhetorical. That is to say, they weren't genuine questions at all. They were questions intended to drive toward a point: you shouldn't expect to use sleep mode with PCars.

If you read my response, you can see very clearly how unproductive his reply was. If we're going to do an analysis of how these sorts of arguments start, it begins with acknowledging the fact that telling someone they "shouldn't expect" to use the features of their console is counter productive. The indignant attitude didn't help either. I didn't say anything disrespectful, and I stuck clearly to the facts.

If the rule here is that forum members shouldn't be confronted when they respond to requests for help with dismissal and indignation, then I'll accept that directive and won't confront that sort of behavior in the future. I am happy to not feed the trolls, and have removed my posts as a show of good faith. Feel free to wipe this one out as well.

FerryF1
05-01-2016, 21:18
I've noticed that if I put my PS4 in to "Rest Mode" with PCars running, when I return, some of my FFB settings are different. The most noticeable are the Menu Spring and Low Speed Spring settings, but I'm not sure if other settings are changing as well. To reproduce the issue:

Adjust the Menu Spring value to 0.0.
Put the PS4 in "Rest" mode.
Wait for the PS4 to rest fully (the wheel will go through calibration).
Wake the PS4 (the wheel will calibrate again).
Note that the wheel springs to center in the menus. Changing the setting has no effect.

I've noticed the same issue applies to the Low Speed Spring Saturation setting. I have mine set to 0.35, but upon return from rest, the wheel centers while the car is stationary.

Closing and restarting PCars restores the correct settings.

Has anyone else observed this issue?

Is it a Thrustmaster wheel?

I recently bought one, and when I was updating the wheel via the Thrustmaster website I noticed an 'tip' on one of the setup screens.
It said specifically to not use Rest Mode while your wheel is connected.

bradleyland
05-01-2016, 23:31
Is it a Thrustmaster wheel?

I recently bought one, and when I was updating the wheel via the Thrustmaster website I noticed an 'tip' on one of the setup screens.
It said specifically to not use Rest Mode while your wheel is connected.

Interesting. Indeed it is a Thrustmaster; a T300 RS. I think I found some documentation buried in a PDF file:

Relevant Excerpt:

PlayStation®4 games

# REMARK No.1:

PS4TM.

Thanks for the lead! :)

FerryF1
06-01-2016, 14:55
Interesting. Indeed it is a Thrustmaster; a T300 RS. I think I found some documentation buried in a PDF file:

Relevant Excerpt:

PlayStation®4 games

# REMARK No.1:

PS4TM.