PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone want such long sessions?

CursedDICE
05-01-2016, 15:42
Most lobbies are set to long and then, the ones that aren't have something crazy like 3 hour practice session or 30 minute qualifying. I haven't got time for that (if I did I still wouldn't do it) which means I barely use the online component. Why do people go for such long sessions?

Fight-Test
05-01-2016, 15:46
They are practicing online. Unfortunately we can't name the lobbies so you know what ur getting into.

TrevorAustin
05-01-2016, 15:50
Why don't you set your own up the way you want them?

Plato99
05-01-2016, 15:57
The 2 hour practice session, followed by 30 mins qualifying, followed by a 6 lap race around Brands Hatch Indy?!
Classic!!

CursedDICE
05-01-2016, 16:02
The 2 hour practice session, followed by 30 mins qualifying, followed by a 6 lap race around Brands Hatch Indy?!
Classic!!

There was one today, if I remember right, had 3 hour Practice and a 5 lap race.

To the other guy, I used to, no one joined

Mahjik
05-01-2016, 16:12
Those are what people are calling "Track Days". Because you cannot join mid-race, they just setup a very long practice session. It's for people who just want to drive online with other racers, but not really "race".

Yorkie065
05-01-2016, 16:47
I do it a lot with long practice sessions when I and fellow racers are practicing for league races. Essentially I'll do something like a 2 hour warm up session and then a short (sub 10 lap) race with the warm up session being used as car setup time and then the race just a little bit of fun at the end. Sometimes I'll close it off to the public if we don't want a load of people coming in and getting in the way whilst we do various stints, but sometimes the guys or myself don't mind other people present and we make it public. We usually put in the lobby name 'OpenPrac' or 'GT3 Prac' to give people an indication that it's a practice session. Most people get the message, but some come in and demand we start the race when that's not the idea of the lobby.

Would be nice though if people actually named their sessions (you can do it when creating lobbies) to represent the kind of session they are running so people like the OP don't accidentally join a session they don't want to be in. Likewise if there was a little more info in the server browser so players know what they're going into before joining a lobby.

nono782
05-01-2016, 17:13
Again, it wouldn't be a problem if we were able to see the practice/qualif/nb of laps settings on the browsing page.
(Instead of short/long that mean nothing)

And one more annoying thing : you see Road A or whatever else, you enter the "race" and all cars are allowed.
+ when you quit you don't get back to the main MP browser. You have to enter again, wait for the lobbies to show up, again and again.

PostBox981
05-01-2016, 17:13
Most lobbies are set to long and then, the ones that aren't have something crazy like 3 hour practice session or 30 minute qualifying. I haven't got time for that (if I did I still wouldn't do it) which means I barely use the online component. Why do people go for such long sessions?

I love the Nordschleife Track Days! Itīs not a race, but I am driving on the same track as other real drivers around me. Much more fun than a practice day all on my own. As long as there are no ramming idiots around. I usually choose a slow car and enjoy going around the Ring, not really caring for other peopleīs lap times. :o

Markus Ott
05-01-2016, 17:22
Server browser unfortantely is completely consoled.

kackle85
05-01-2016, 18:49
Server browser unfortantely is completely consoled.

Nice try......there are plenty of console games with good server browsers. This isn't one of them but I doubt it has a thing to do with it being "consoled".

Gravit8
05-01-2016, 23:00
Nice try......there are plenty of console games with good server browsers. This isn't one of them but I doubt it has a thing to do with it being "consoled".

It has everything to do with an active choice by SMS not to spend money on console servers.
I believe that's what's being implied here.
"Screwed" or "consoled"
Same difference.

Umer Ahmad
06-01-2016, 03:25
"active choice"? What makes you think these "console servers" is something cheaply acquired? You have exact knowledge of this?

ONT
06-01-2016, 14:54
Those are what people are calling "Track Days". Because you cannot join mid-race, they just setup a very long practice session. It's for people who just want to drive online with other racers, but not really "race".

It was suggested during development to add this as a separate online mode (would help with the confusion) ..... :)

CPU M Rossi
06-01-2016, 17:15
a 30 min qualifying is too long? :confused:
that's like 15 mins of practice with 15 mins of qualifying with no break in the middle if the lobby just has a 30 min qualifying session

4fast2you
06-01-2016, 22:19
A lot of people hosts these, maybe SMS could introduce a separate list for online practice session? So those who want to race donīt have to go through clutter

Umer Ahmad
06-01-2016, 22:24
a 30 min qualifying is too long? :confused:
that's like 15 mins of practice with 15 mins of qualifying with no break in the middle if the lobby just has a 30 min qualifying session

It's relative to the race length. For a 1 hour 20 lap race no. For a 9 min 5 lap race yes.

madmax2069
06-01-2016, 23:52
The server browser is pretty lack luster in this game I can give you that.

Someone setting a really long practice doesn't bother me one bit, i like a track day type of thing every once in a while. What really bothers me is not being able to name your room, and the lobby browser shows no real info about the room. The only real info you do get from the server browser is the track and the host name and the amount of people in said lobby, heck not even the vehicle selection tells you much info (because the host can have a GT3 class but allows you to select any car in the game).

The info the server browser should tell you
-host name
-track
-penalties on or off
-view modes (all, limited, or locked)
-car class (rather if it allows you to select any or fixed to a car class, or fixed to a single car with name of car)
-The amount of time for practice/qualifying, and the amount of laps for the race
-the amount of people in said lobby
-actually show if a lobby is private (with the ability to set and enter a password).
-being able to name your lobby
-ping of host/server
-icons for Aids on or off
-multiple pages for the lobby browser list.

CPU M Rossi
07-01-2016, 04:59
It's relative to the race length. For a 1 hour 20 lap race no. For a 9 min 5 lap race yes.
but the thing is with just a 30 mins qualifying session that gives enough time for people to see the lobby & join and unless they join with 5 min. remaining they have time to lay down some laps
I have joined some lobbies that had 15 min. qualifying session had just enough time to get a timed lap in
and generally I will set it to 10-15 laps for the race

PostBox981
07-01-2016, 17:43
If I want to finish a race successfully, I have to practice for a while, to get used to car and track - even if it is a two lap race...

nono782
08-01-2016, 08:53
The server browser is pretty lack luster in this game I can give you that.

Someone setting a really long practice doesn't bother me one bit, i like a track day type of thing every once in a while. What really bothers me is not being able to name your room, and the lobby browser shows no real info about the room. The only real info you do get from the server browser is the track and the host name and the amount of people in said lobby, heck not even the vehicle selection tells you much info (because the host can have a GT3 class but allows you to select any car in the game).

The info the server browser should tell you
-host name
-track
-penalties on or off
-view modes (all, limited, or locked)
-car class (rather if it allows you to select any or fixed to a car class, or fixed to a single car with name of car)
-The amount of time for practice/qualifying, and the amount of laps for the race
-the amount of people in said lobby
-actually show if a lobby is private (with the ability to set and enter a password).
-being able to name your lobby
-ping of host/server
-icons for Aids on or off
-multiple pages for the lobby browser list.

And Default setup on/off

AndrexUK
08-01-2016, 09:39
And Default setup on/off

Would be nice if you could organise the lobby browser by these fields too (ie max number of drivers 1st / or server name alphabetically).
The Lobby list in Raceroom Experience is done very well, and even goes so far as telling you how long is left in a session.
Assetto Corsa lets you list by servername / track / # of drivers / etc

They both make pCars look incredibly basic :(

AB_Attack
08-01-2016, 11:32
If I want to finish a race successfully, I have to practice for a while, to get used to car and track - even if it is a two lap race...
2 lap races should have long qualifying because in those races qualifying is CRUCIAL! :D