PDA

View Full Version : A thought

Poulka
05-01-2016, 16:09
Project Cars has the best lighting in the video game industry in my opinion. Let me explain by what I mean by this; as your race progresses your daylight gradually changes depending on the time of day setting. Here is what I want SMS to think about. They could get EA the access to their lighting code for use in the EA sports titles such as soccer and football especially. I know this is a long shot, but if contracted the right way SMS could really get some financial help by making this deal. I really like the lighting in this game and that is only portion SMS needs to patent out to EA and let EA use it in sports titles, but exclude racing titles. I know this is me daydreaming to have this kind of lighting in this game in all my outdoor non-racing sports games. I degress. Excellent job SMS. Love this title looking for many more.

DECATUR PLAYA
05-01-2016, 16:26
Project Cars has the best lighting in the video game industry in my opinion. Let me explain by what I mean by this; as your race progresses your daylight gradually changes depending on the time of day setting. Here is what I want SMS to think about. They could get EA the access to their lighting code for use in the EA sports titles such as soccer and football especially. I know this is a long shot, but if contracted the right way SMS could really get some financial help by making this deal. I really like the lighting in this game and that is only portion SMS needs to patent out to EA and let EA use it in sports titles, but exclude racing titles. I know this is me daydreaming to have this kind of lighting in this game in all my outdoor non-racing sports games. I degress. Excellent job SMS. Love this title looking for many more.

This is the first game that I have played where you actually get blinded by the Sun. Absolutely awesome lighting effects the best in video gaming. Each hour of the day is represented well. I have raced at a track at 11am and then raced at that same track at 4pm and almost thought I was at different track. The time of year also is represented with different sun angles and different shade angles which to me is unbelievable but pcars delivers.

Poulka
05-01-2016, 23:22
That's exactly right Decaturs Finest. This is STRONG point in PCars. I love how you take the same track and you can different effects on racing just by the lighting alone, with time of day and, time of year. Heck even night races the moonlight shows up at different times and sometimes it is in the different cycles. You take NASCAR All Star race driver, fans, and commentators get excited over the full moon. This is something that needs to be on all out door sports game. SMS has set a benchmark with the lighting effects.

DayGlow
06-01-2016, 00:27
Not EA! They are the ones that are responsible for making SMS dumming down their games for the Shift series.

EA would wreck pCars.

resmania
06-01-2016, 00:29
It's good but not perfect. I really hate how this game handles cockpit exposure. :p

Poulka
06-01-2016, 01:58
Oh no I don't want EA to touch PCars. All I want is SMS to make the lighting technology available to outside non racing titles. Examples football and soccer. But only make technology available if the price and contract are perfect.

Cheesenium
06-01-2016, 02:36
This is the first game that I have played where you actually get blinded by the Sun. Absolutely awesome lighting effects the best in video gaming. Each hour of the day is represented well. I have raced at a track at 11am and then raced at that same track at 4pm and almost thought I was at different track. The time of year also is represented with different sun angles and different shade angles which to me is unbelievable but pcars delivers.

I remembered the first time that I lift my hand to cover the sun glare in a dusk race with the sun shining directly into the car. It was unbelievable to see myself doing that in a game as I thought only the real sun can provoke me a reaction like that, not a fake sun through my LCD screen.

A fun fact about the sun and shade angles, pcars did have a feature that calculate the relative location of the track based on longitude and latitude, and also the sun and moon location to obtain the correct sun position based on the time of the year. I had seen whats in the works in pcars 2, this feature will be likely further expanded to offer even more immersion.

Still, I think the night lighting still needs work as it doesnt feel dark enough at times and the lights from the headlamps doesnt have diffusion effect that made the lighting effect looked cheap. As if someone increase the contrast of the material when the light shine on it. Especially after seeing Battlefield 4's Graveyard Shift version of Zavord, I hope SMS will improve the night lighting to that level. That free map in Battlefield 4 was the first time I actually felt insecure and scared in a Battlefield game because I can barely see anything in that extremely dark map.

Umer Ahmad
06-01-2016, 03:14
You're talking about the proprietary "Madness Engine". I'm not sure SMS wants to let out the "secret recipe". Plus EA already has access to DICE and the Frostbite engine (new Star Wars game) so probably they are not shopping for a new engine. Also the Unreal engine is freely available yes?

Sasquatch
06-01-2016, 03:23
I'm not sure if you know this OP, SMS was partnered with EA for the Shift titles.

While I do agree they have done a great job with lighting itself, in a shifting element. It's hard to ignore the graphical wizardry Evolution has done with Driveclub.

Invincible
06-01-2016, 04:12
I'm not sure if you know this OP, SMS was partnered with EA for the Shift titles.

While I do agree they have done a great job with lighting itself, in a shifting element. It's hard to ignore the graphical wizardry Evolution has done with Driveclub.

At 30 Fps and fixed / scripted weather.... Sorry, I can't get tired of pointing that it add some people tend to forget these facts.