PDA

View Full Version : Oculus Rift CV1 Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

John Hargreaves
06-01-2016, 07:54
Today's the day for the pre orders to begin, so I'll start this thread to keep the clutter out of the DK2 thread.

So, anyone looking forward to this one?

Silraed
06-01-2016, 07:57
I haven't been keeping up with VR news since I tried and was disappointed with one of the older Oculus dev kits. Do we know what price bracket they are aiming to hit yet?

John Hargreaves
06-01-2016, 08:03
We soon will do

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/

I'm looking at it like buying a new television rather than a games peripheral, I think we'll be looking at the same sort of price as a mid range decent TV.

Silraed
06-01-2016, 08:10
That will be pretty pricey for Australian's then.

John Hargreaves
06-01-2016, 08:30
Australians don't need tellies, they have sunshine and can go outdoors :cool:

RomKnight
06-01-2016, 08:33
Oculus being the the only player in the market ATM i'll wait before jumping into it. At least until Vive that looks promising. Nothing like competition :P

Invincible
06-01-2016, 09:07
Does anyone know which resolution the CV1 will have? I can't find certain stats, only assumptions.

So far it looks really promising, but with the new Pascal GPU's around the corner, I think that 1080p won't cut it anymore for me.

John Hargreaves
06-01-2016, 09:10
I think there will be some stuff coming out of CES this week, so we'll probably get more info in the next 24 hours

MrPix
06-01-2016, 11:39
Does anyone know which resolution the CV1 will have? I can't find certain stats, only assumptions.

So far it looks really promising, but with the new Pascal GPU's around the corner, I think that 1080p won't cut it anymore for me.I saw one of the oculus connect 2 vids somewhere recently and they said it was 2 screens, each 1080x1200 @ 90hz making a total of 2160x1200 pixels to draw for the graphics card which is 2.5MP @ 90hz. This should be a breeze for most high end GFX cards. I run at 4K (8MP) and easily breach 60fps on all my games/sims with almost all settings Ultra or very high so dropping to approx. 1/3 of the pixels should easily breach 90 fps at ultra settings. If you currently run 1080p on your monitor then this is 2MP approx. so if you can get > 113 fps now then you'll be in the right place for OR CV1.

I'd be surprised if I'm wrong on this. (but would be happily surprised by a higher resolution!)

optimalspieler
06-01-2016, 12:06
I saw one of the oculus connect 2 vids somewhere recently and they said it was 2 screens, each 1080x1200 @ 90hz making a total of 2160x1200 pixels to draw for the graphics card which is 2.5MP @ 90hz. This should be a breeze for most high end GFX cards. I run at 4K (8MP) and easily breach 60fps on all my games/sims with almost all settings Ultra or very high so dropping to approx. 1/3 of the pixels should easily breach 90 fps at ultra settings. If you currently run 1080p on your monitor then this is 2MP approx. so if you can get > 113 fps now then you'll be in the right place for OR CV1.

I'd be surprised if I'm wrong on this. (but would be happily surprised by a higher resolution!)

Have you actually tried to run a Rift before? I think you are a bit too optimistic there :D

It's not just about the resolution, as the Rift needs to render two separate images (one per eye, each with a slightly different angle). Also you need to make sure not to have any FPS drops while moving your head, especially if you move it really fast.

With your setup you should be fine in general, but you will probably max out your CPU and maybe you even need to reduce some detail like removing spectators.

McClusky
06-01-2016, 12:13
Will Oculus support SLI/Crossfire, one card per eye?

MrPix
06-01-2016, 12:15
Have you actually tried to run a Rift before? I think you are a bit too optimistic there :D

It's not just about the resolution, as the Rift needs to render two separate images (one per eye, each with a slightly different angle). Also you need to make sure not to have any FPS drops while moving your head, especially if you move it really fast.

With your setup you should be fine in general, but you will probably max out your CPU and maybe you even need to reduce some detail like removing spectators.Yes I have, I had the DK2.

I doubt that my CPU will be maxxed either... as I said, I run at 4K now... and this is only 30% of the render, despite there being 2 images.

optimalspieler
06-01-2016, 13:22
and this is only 30% of the render, despite there being 2 images.

Except that this doesn't scale in a linear way :)

Due to DirectX limitations most of the CPU stuff is happening on a single core. To quote an SMS dev:

The big issue with this is the way Oculus needs to draw - it has twice as many draw calls, twice as many scene graph gathers etc, all of which really hit the CPU hard.
[...]
There are certain things you can do which help, like using the command line to turn off the crowds, as that reduces the number of items in the scene graph dramatically.

So I would be surprised if your "main" core is not maxed out if you turn on everything.

Anyway, I was mainly talking about the "> 113 FPS" statement:

If you currently run 1080p on your monitor then this is 2MP approx. so if you can get > 113 fps now then you'll be in the right place for OR CV1.

People should not automatically assume to be able to run pcars in the Rift just because they get good FPS on a single screen. You need a really good single core CPU performance if you want to race with other cars on track and even more if you want to turn up graphical detail settings.

RaceNut
06-01-2016, 13:34
The early reviews of CV1 say that the improvements made are stunning; improved image quality and perceived FOV being much wider than anticipated. I say perceived because Oculus have added some interesting edge treatment to the CV1 that works with peripheral vision to create the impression of wider FOV while blurring the hard edges of the view area found in the DK2. Image quality by use of improved optics is said to offer much better and broader focal range and the IPD sliders offer instant adjustment without changing the FOV. SDE is there but, one has to search for it under certain conditions to see it. Overall comfort and weight are much improved over the dev kits.

All of these things add up to big improvements over the DK2 so I think there are enough Pros with CV1 for me to buy now. As some on the Oculus forums point out; further improvements with future gen VR gear are likely to be very incremental with diminishing returns and 1.5-2 years between updates is likely. 4k or better image quality and the hardware to run it in VR is going to require some significant breakthroughs in several key areas and even then, it won't be affordable for most. Reaching the point where VR image quality will impress compared to current monitors is probably much further away than we realize - unless cost is not an issue. :D

beetes_juice
06-01-2016, 14:04
T-minus 1 hour :D

John Hargreaves
06-01-2016, 15:02
4pm; Oculus shop frozen.

djbuzz07
06-01-2016, 15:02
Rift website down.....

beetes_juice
06-01-2016, 15:03
Rift website down.....

same here

beetes_juice
06-01-2016, 15:04
600!!!!

John Hargreaves
06-01-2016, 15:06
pounds or dollars?

cluck
06-01-2016, 15:07
$600 apparently :(.

That's £400 UK money plus VAT, which means it will almost certainly be rounded up to £500. Ouch :(.

EDIT : Just seen on the Oculus forums that yep, it's £499 UK money.

Silraed
06-01-2016, 15:10
Dollars. Presumably USD.

That will be a hard pill to swallow and a lot of people are not going to be happy with that price. But they will inevitably pay it anyway.

Joe Moore
06-01-2016, 15:10
Wow --- will cost me 699 euro total to Ireland .

beetes_juice
06-01-2016, 15:11
Anyone else having issues with CC and checkout?

djbuzz07
06-01-2016, 15:14
£499.00 but I can't pay for it

Something went wrong. Please try again.

Silraed
06-01-2016, 15:15
Their site would be under huge load right now. Expect problems for a couple hours at least I would say.

Puffpirat
06-01-2016, 15:16
I love year end bonuses, it's only money right :hopelessness:

cluck
06-01-2016, 15:20
^^^ my boss is a proper tight c*** and hasn't paid me a bonus for 22 years :(

(I'm self employed)

crowtrobot
06-01-2016, 15:21
Wow, wasn't expecting six bills. A little less than that and I'd have upgraded immediately, I think for $600 I'll hold onto my DK2 and wait till Vive comes out and see what will be supported by each...

djbuzz07
06-01-2016, 15:24
still can't checkout, no cards not even paypal:mad:

cluck
06-01-2016, 15:24
Wow, wasn't expecting six bills. A little less than that and I'd have upgraded immediately, I think for $600 I'll hold onto my DK2 and wait till Vive comes out and see what will be supported by each...I'm in the same boat. If I didn't have the DK2 or it was £399, I'd snap one up immediately but it's a just a bit too much seeing as my DK2 is basically still perfectly fine.

I must say, I do like the look of the final design. Wish there was a choice for with/without headphones though.

TrevorAustin
06-01-2016, 15:28
Yes I have, I had the DK2.

I doubt that my CPU will be maxxed either... as I said, I run at 4K now... and this is only 30% of the render, despite there being 2 images.

It will:) mines over maxxed with DK2. Unless SDK 1 has some massive improvements.

TrevorAustin
06-01-2016, 15:30
Wow, wasn't expecting six bills. A little less than that and I'd have upgraded immediately, I think for $600 I'll hold onto my DK2 and wait till Vive comes out and see what will be supported by each...

Yep, I'm doing the same, More bothered about performance improvements than resolution at the moment anyway. Even as it is it's fantastic when it works.

beetes_juice
06-01-2016, 15:31
ahh still no checkout....take my money!

EDIT: So doing a page refresh instead of clicking "add card" or "checkout" seems to fix the issue. Order places!

April 2016 ship date.

Silraed
06-01-2016, 15:32
Wish there was a choice for with/without headphones though.

Website says the heaphones are removable. Which is good.

djbuzz07
06-01-2016, 15:32
ahh still no checkout....take my money!

EDIT: So doing a page refresh instead of clicking "add card" or "checkout" seems to fix the issue. Order places!

April 2016 ship date.

Just managed to but mine, just keep clicking and hope!!!

beetes_juice
06-01-2016, 15:43
Just managed to but mine, just keep clicking and hope!!!

Per Palmer Luckey's twitter:

We are experiencing insanely high load. Credit card processing is trying to stay livr under load from mass script kiddie fraud attempts.

Anyway, any of you guys get the email confirmation yet? Guessing due to load this could take a while.

Puffpirat
06-01-2016, 15:46
Anyway, any of you guys get the email confirmation yet? Guessing due to load this could take a while.my screenshot was from the confirmation mail :)

beetes_juice
06-01-2016, 15:56
Yeah, your seemed to beat the onslaught of orders lol.

*page after placing order. Cropped out my email.

Well guess I'll give it some time. Hope nothing is screwy.:suspicion:

Schadows
06-01-2016, 16:11
€741 VAT and shipping cost included.
Should I send them a pocket calculator?

M4MKey
06-01-2016, 16:18
I just don't get how we go from 600$ to 700€ when the two currencies are almost the same...
600 U.S. dollars = 557.6 Euros. Okay, there's taxes... But that much ???? No thanks.

cluck
06-01-2016, 16:25
I just don't get how we go from 600$ to 700€ when the two currencies are almost the same...
600 U.S. dollars = 557.6 Euros. Okay, there's taxes... But that much ???? No thanks.VAT :).

American prices are almost always quoted without sales tax because, I believe, it varies state to state. For us here in Europe, it means the price is $600 plus VAT, which is 20% in the UK.

$600 = £410
£410 + 20% = £492

So although, on the face of it, it looks like we're being ripped off, we're not really.

€741 VAT and shipping cost included.
Should I send them a pocket calculator?Ouch. How much was shipping? From what I gather, the UK price is £499 + shipping.

MrPix
06-01-2016, 16:30
VAT :).

American prices are almost always quoted without sales tax because, I believe, it varies state to state. For us here in Europe, it means the price is $600 plus VAT, which is 20% in the UK.

$600 = £410
£410 + 20% = £492

So although, on the face of it, it looks like we're being ripped off, we're not really.

Ouch. How much was shipping? From what I gather, the UK price is £499 + shipping.So has anyone managed to order from UK? I have £499 but it does not include shipping (which is currently estimated at May 2016)....what is the shipping cost coming to for the UK?

EDIT: Just looked back and shipping to UK was $35 previously for the DK2 when I got it last year. EDIT .. err I mean the year before!

cluck
06-01-2016, 16:33
Apparently it's about £30 :o.

So April's allocation is also now gone. They are shifting lots of units aren't they!

MrPix
06-01-2016, 16:40
Apparently it's about £30 :o.

So April's allocation is also now gone. They are shifting lots of units aren't they!

Order placed and yes it is £30 on top for shipping:

You'll be charged when your order ships. Tax is included in order total.

Shipping: £30.00

Customs: £0.00
Estimated Total: £529.00

Yup... now up to May... just in time for my Birthday.... I know what I'm getting already ;)

John Hargreaves
06-01-2016, 16:41
Just got in from work and pulled the trigger. £499+£30(!)shipping, delivery May 2016. That means five months to save up and five months for devs to optimise pCars. With four more dlc packs to come that should keep me occupied 'til then.
It's a bit more than I was hoping for, but it does look like a decent package so what the hell, time to dig out some junk and get it on eBay.

Nevil Wigbels
06-01-2016, 16:43
I ordered one within 12 minutes, but am still in shock of the price and the waiting time :P

cluck
06-01-2016, 16:46
Gonna be a long 4 or 5 months I'm sure, if my 2 months waiting for my DK2 is anything to go by. Believe me, the excitement didn't drop for a second whilst I was waiting for mine to arrive. Congrats on the purchases folks :yes:.

beetes_juice
06-01-2016, 16:48
and still no confirmation email after an 1 1/2 hrs.....am I being impatient or should I be concerned? Haha

MrPix
06-01-2016, 16:54
and still no confirmation email after an 1 1/2 hrs.....am I being impatient or should I be concerned? HahaMine came through within a minute. Go to your account at Oculus and click on the arrow next to your account name at the top right. Click on Order History and it should show up in there.

djbuzz07
06-01-2016, 16:57
and still no confirmation email after an 1 1/2 hrs.....am I being impatient or should I be concerned? Haha

I've not got an email either, slightly concerned, I went as a guest so can't log in.

Beans
06-01-2016, 17:00
Ordered one. This will be my 1st experience with VR. Hoping it works well with Pcars.

beetes_juice
06-01-2016, 17:03
Mine came through within a minute. Go to your account at Oculus and click on the arrow next to your account name at the top right. Click on Order History and it should show up in there.

Thanks for that! I used a guest account so not able to log into my account directly but I have my order showing after I lookup with order# and email used. Guess I'm a little more relaxed now.

Concerned as I snag an April ship date and reading the Oculus forums ship dates are filling up; most new orders are in May and I swore I saw someone post a June order.

Nevil Wigbels
06-01-2016, 17:48
.. but I have my order showing after I lookup with order# and email used.

How exactly did you do that?

beetes_juice
06-01-2016, 17:56
Try this link: Oculus History. (https://shop.oculus.com/en-us/history-login/)

Side note: Still no confirmation email but I think I have an idea on what could be going on. With all the issues with page not loading and CC checkout problems this morning my card was charged 47 times by Oculus ($1).....my bank called :(.

Nevil Wigbels
06-01-2016, 18:00
Try this link: Oculus History. (https://shop.oculus.com/en-us/history-login/)

Side note: Still no confirmation email but I think I have an idea on what could be going on. With all the issues with page not loading and CC checkout problems this morning my card was charged 47 times by Oculus ($1).....my bank called :(.

Thats weird, with me it's the other way around. I have an confirmation email, but my order history says "No orders were found. If you believe this is an error please contact support.oculus.com." :confused:

My CC was charged 1 $ one time by Oculus and they have the right adress, so I quess it will be ok.

edit:
Ok, I figured it out. I had an Oculus account, but I didn't have that email address anymore, so I ordered as guest using my new email address, so I guess I should create a new account...

jim jonez
06-01-2016, 18:17
Early backers get CV1 free.....wish i did :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f79zdVmF-dM

cluck
06-01-2016, 18:25
To be fair, they took the biggest gamble of all and I suspect a fair proportion of them would have bought the DK2 as well. It's a fair enough move on Oculus' part :).

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
06-01-2016, 18:56
To be fair, they took the biggest gamble of all and I suspect a fair proportion of them would have bought the DK2 as well. It's a fair enough move on Oculus' part :).Gotta do something with all that Facebook money. =)

A very nice move from Oculus that one.

Aritz
06-01-2016, 19:23
Ordered one. This will be my 1st experience with VR. Hoping it works well with Pcars.

Same. April 1st will be a great or bad day (699€....)

Reiche
06-01-2016, 19:28

Same here. I'm really excited... Shipping date is May :/

Joshua Healy
06-01-2016, 19:42
So apparently it works out to being $920AU + postage.... Well there goes my hopes and dreams of this being affordable :/

Trnes
06-01-2016, 20:15
It seems a high price. "IMHO"

beetes_juice
06-01-2016, 20:22
So apparently it works out to being $920AU + postage.... Well there goes my hopes and dreams of this being affordable :/

Wow...couldn't imagine that.

So still no confirmation email :( Looking for updates, I spent the day over on the Oculus forums/Lucky Palmers twitter. Seems they are in damage control. While a good portion of complaints are due to the ordering fiasco this morning many (seasoned VR users on their forum) are questioning the company for the price point and the direction Oculus will be heading. Users seem to be up in arms as many were on here with the tire heating issue...straying away from the core audience

From my understanding Oculus goal was to bring VR to gamers with no lag + modest price....so much for $350. Ehhh anyway could be wrong and plus this is day 1 prices (think a BR player was $1,000 on day 1 LOL).

Just need to give it a rest and see if anything new comes in tonight. TBH I'm second guessing myself.

EDIT: The redit AMA tonight with Palmer should be interesting. 9pm EST.

cluck
06-01-2016, 20:31
Wow...couldn't imagine that.

So still no confirmation email :( Looking for updates, I spent the day over on the Oculus forums/Lucky Palmers twitter. Seems they are in damage control. While a good portion of complaints are due to the ordering fiasco this morning many (seasoned VR users on their forum) are questioning the company for the price point and the direction Oculus will be heading. Users seem to be up in arms as many were on here with the tire heating issue...straying away from the core audience

From my understanding Oculus goal was to bring VR to gamers with no lag + modest price....so much for $350. Ehhh anyway could be wrong and plus this is day 1 prices (think a BR player was $1,000 on day 1 LOL).

Just need to give it a rest and see if anything new comes in tonight. TBH I'm second guessing myself.

EDIT: The redit AMA tonight with Palmer should be interesting. 9pm EST.I paid £900 for my first Blu-ray player (Pioneer one), a good 12 months after Blu-ray players hit the market :). My first DVD player cost me £700. Early adopters always pay a higher price, it's the nature of the beast.

cornishbrooksy
06-01-2016, 20:41
Really surprised by the cost and its put me off getting one just yet. I thought they would really aim for a similar price of the DK's.

Will be interesting to see how Valve/Sony do now and where they price theirs at......this first 12 months is going to be crucial with market penetration and who survives, and valve could be on to a real winner if they are massively under-cutting Oculus.

Sepp666
06-01-2016, 21:13
Haha! :D So the day VR died, was when it was published.

Puffpirat
06-01-2016, 21:31
I can't understand all of the negativity around the launch of the rift, also on other forums. The price was quite a bit higher than expected yes, but then a few days ago I ordered new pedals and was scrolling through my Fanatec order history..oh boy... As Cluck said, you pay to play ;)

I mainly use my PC for pCARS and can't wait to turn my first laps in the rift :)

06-01-2016, 21:46
The price hike has put me off getting one instantly as well.

It's not that I want it any less or anything, I just don't have that kind of money right now. =)

cluck
06-01-2016, 21:50

It's not that I want it any less or anything, I just don't have that kind of money right now. =)Well, you will have until May to save up, because it's unlikely you'll get one before then if you order one today ;).

miagi
06-01-2016, 21:53

It's not that I want it any less or anything, I just don't have that kind of money right now. =)

I'm a bit concerned, Rift and Vive are trying to establish something. If not enough ppl buy it, because it's to expensive, 3rd part hard/ or software developers are already screwed. So I hoped it will start at a rather low price to get things moving. Well I still hope VR is going to really make it to the mass-market, but unfortunately it's not looking like I'm going to be able to afford such a toy this year ._.

06-01-2016, 22:05
Yeah, that's a concern I share (and Oculus et. al. as well, they really wanted to make it a sub $300 unit but it's not yet feasible with this level of quality), we can only hope.

Fendar
06-01-2016, 22:17
Sadly I was looking forward to this.

But then the Ocolus wimps don't tell a price, then they come up with a whopping $600!
And on top of that, you get don't get it before May 2016.

Well, since I would have to change my PC-Hardware a lot - I'm not going to buy this product - just now.
I need to see alternatives first - then I'll decide.

Neil Hopwood
06-01-2016, 22:25
I can't understand all of the negativity around the launch of the rift, also on other forums. The price was quite a bit higher than expected yes, but then a few days ago I ordered new pedals and was scrolling through my Fanatec order history..oh boy... As Cluck said, you pay to play ;)

I mainly use my PC for pCARS and can't wait to turn my first laps in the rift :)

They spent the last 2 years saying it was going.to be around the same price as the dev kits and that the Facebook acquisition would keep the price down. Then I turns out to be nearly double the dk2 price to actually get one.

rauf0
06-01-2016, 22:48
Fcuked economy ,700€ + shipment to EU...
Anyway I don't care, happy with my triple ;)

rocho
07-01-2016, 01:48
741 euros here in Spain!!
Sadly, I'm out.

Ramjet
07-01-2016, 02:04
The price hike would not be such a bitter pill to swallow if Palmer & Co. had been a little more honest and prepared everyone better.

After the FB buyout & huge backlash over it Luckey said the upside was that now they would be able to bring the Rift to market in greater volume at a lower price point - and not so long ago he said $350 was not going to be achievable due to the increase in quality & tech but it would be "in the ballpark"... really !? How big is that frickin' ballpark ?

beetes_juice
07-01-2016, 02:15
If anyone's interested he just went live with answers over on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3zt7ul/i_am_palmer_luckey_founder_of_oculus_and_designer/).

Joe Moore
07-01-2016, 02:41

I think I'll be doing the same , I never realised how good the Vive could be , and with its front faceing camera what a bonus this will be for driving simulator .

http://youtu.be/63uK-86K4Ms

Silraed
07-01-2016, 03:11
It will be interesting to see if any of the other up coming devices will choose to drop their prices and take the bigger hit to the wallet to try and get ahead of Oculus on sales and get that market hold. It would be a terrible joke to see Oculus go from pioneer to being pushed out of their market because of their opening price.

My eye has been on the Vive though.

Joshua Healy
07-01-2016, 03:12

An update to the price for Australians. It'll come to around $1103AU with postage as of todays exchange rates.... it's a real sting to Australians as this is the cost of buying a PS4 and an Xbone with a bunch of games each.

Ramjet
07-01-2016, 04:10
Must say that the Vive just now looks really nice ... the front facing camera has got to be a huge bonus too ! Only thing negative I see is that Project Cars does not support it.

cluck
07-01-2016, 07:59
Must say that the Vive just now looks really nice ... the front facing camera has got to be a huge bonus too ! Only thing negative I see is that Project Cars does not support it.And that's the deal clincher for me. Aside from the odd dallying with some old FPS classics (eg Quake), there is almost nothing I use my Rift for. If Vive support isn't added then it simply isn't an option for me. Although support will almost certainly be added to pCARS2, my focus at the moment is pCARS and, as such, that leaves me with one choice, Oculus.

Aritz
07-01-2016, 08:20
Apart from pCARS 1 and 2, I can't wait to play Portal 1 and 2. I want to "die" falling down from those platforms! :smiley_simmons:

RomKnight
07-01-2016, 10:44
And that's the deal clincher for me. Aside from the odd dallying with some old FPS classics (eg Quake), there is almost nothing I use my Rift for. If Vive support isn't added then it simply isn't an option for me. Although support will almost certainly be added to pCARS2, my focus at the moment is pCARS and, as such, that leaves me with one choice, Oculus.

Agree but the difference for me is that i'm still good with triple screen so, i'll wait for Vive (maybe other options if they show up) to do some comparisons. By then pC2 should be already an option anyway :D not to mention price drop for OR.

John Hargreaves
07-01-2016, 11:02
The price was a bit higher than I would have liked, but it's the same sort of ball park as an iPhone or iPad, and although I don't care for Apple gear personally, it seems reasonable in that context. It's just about adjusting expectations I guess, but held side by side with a fancy telephone I'd go for the Rift and get a cheap phone. Probably after a few weeks with the Rift I won't have any friends left to call anyway, so it's a win win.

maxpainpayne
07-01-2016, 11:48
$600 VR headset -vs- $600 HDTV.

Personally, id rather have the tv because the headset fun will be short lived. and soon VR gaming headsets will become obsolete space junk imo; unless you can take it out of the goggles and use it as a smartphone.

cluck
07-01-2016, 12:05
Short lived? I've been using my DK2 in pCARS almost every single day for the last 16 months and since I'm onboard with pCARS2, I'll be using it for quite a few years yet.

Granted, there are some people that don't get on with them (either can't look past the poor resolution of the DK2 or feel nauseous) but for those of us, like myself, that allow ourselves to be immersed into the world that an Oculus provides, there really is no substitute for it short of actually going out and sitting in a real car :).

I am put off by the price but as I mentioned earlier, people pay more than that for a mobile phone that they will replace every year (or 2 years). People are paying that much for high-refresh rate monitors. For brand new tech, it's not 'that' expensive and prices will almost certainly fall over time. I'm actually tempted to order one just in case my DK2 fails :o.

EDIT : One more thing. Although the financial barrier to proper entry to VR on PC is quite high at the moment (primarily the high CPU, GPU requirements and VR device costs), those will inevitably fall over time. What might be a high-end card today, will be a mid-range card in a couple of years. Yes, by that stage there will be newer VR devices, running higher resolutions, requiring even more computing power, but there will then be a choice, whereby almost everybody can start to get on board with it. No, it still won't be for everybody but the closed mind thinking that says "it will be a fad" is the same closed mind thinking that, for example, Nokia had when smartphones started to take off (and I was one of the nay-sayers myself as it happens). Just because "you" (a collective you) can't see the possibilities, doesn't mean it is going to fail or be short-lived :).

crowtrobot
07-01-2016, 12:23
I am put off by the price but as I mentioned earlier, people pay more than that for a mobile phone that they will replace every year (or 2 years). People are paying that much for high-refresh rate monitors. For brand new tech, it's not 'that' expensive and prices will almost certainly fall over time. I'm actually tempted to order one just in case my DK2 fails :o.
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think my initial reaction was purely sticker shock, not anything terribly reasonable. It is quite a package for the money, compared to iPads, TVs or even early DVD/Bluray players. If I hadn't had a DK2 already, I'd have jumped on it no questions asked, but at $599, I'll go the more reasonable route and hold off until reviews of both Rift and Vive are out. Also it's probably going to require a CPU upgrade for me, so that $599 really becomes something like $1599 instead.

The DK2 will hold me over in the mean-time, it's certainly been more than good enough for the past year.

cluck
07-01-2016, 12:33
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think my initial reaction was purely sticker shock, not anything terribly reasonable. It is quite a package for the money, compared to iPads, TVs or even early DVD/Bluray players. If I hadn't had a DK2 already, I'd have jumped on it no questions asked, but at $599, I'll go the more reasonable route and hold off until reviews of both Rift and Vive are out. Also it's probably going to require a CPU upgrade for me, so that $599 really becomes something like $1599 instead.

The DK2 will hold me over in the mean-time, it's certainly been more than good enough for the past year.Mine has had a block of dead pixels since August. I should have sent it back whilst it was still in warranty, but I didn't want to be without it so I just crossed my fingers. So far, nothing else has gone wrong and no more pixels have died but it's making me increasingly nervous.

My big concern at the moment is the camera part. It doesn't appear to have a monitor mount, like the current one. If that's the case, then I've got to bodge something up for it to work. I've also got to consider the PC upgrade side of things as my CPU is a generation lower than Oculus specify and my worry is that their driver installation will be set to only work on CPUs that match the specs on their site.

To be honest, the one thing holding me off ordering right now is not really the price, it's the lack of real detail. There isn't a published spec list of what it actually has, no complete box contents list (eg, the camera mounting) and no way of knowing if it can be installed on a PC that doesn't match the spec they list. £530 is a lot to shell out when you only know some of that info.

MrPix
07-01-2016, 12:47
Agreed the price is higher than expected and we have no real detail from oculus themselves, but I took the 'gamble' anyway.

Thing that is cracking me up is that up until yesterday when the price was announced, anyone who talked triples or sFOV setups on racing sim forums (not just here I may add) was pounced on by the VR Fan boy/girl brigade with comments like: "VR is the future", "you're wasting your money" and blobbing on about immersion being better at a cheaper price point.....

maxpainpayne
07-01-2016, 13:17
Short lived? I've been using my DK2 in pCARS almost every single day for the last 16 months and since I'm onboard with pCARS2, I'll be using it for quite a few years yet.

Granted, there are some people that don't get on with them (either can't look past the poor resolution of the DK2 or feel nauseous) but for those of us, like myself, that allow ourselves to be immersed into the world that an Oculus provides, there really is no substitute for it short of actually going out and sitting in a real car :).

EDIT : One more thing. Although the financial barrier to proper entry to VR on PC is quite high at the moment (primarily the high CPU, GPU requirements and VR device costs), those will inevitably fall over time. What might be a high-end card today, will be a mid-range card in a couple of years. Yes, by that stage there will be newer VR devices, running higher resolutions, requiring even more computing power, but there will then be a choice, whereby almost everybody can start to get on board with it. No, it still won't be for everybody but the closed mind thinking that says "it will be a fad" is the same closed mind thinking that, for example, Nokia had when smartphones started to take off (and I was one of the nay-sayers myself as it happens). Just because "you" (a collective you) can't see the possibilities, doesn't mean it is going to fail or be short-lived :).

please, stop following me around this forum. go spam somewhere else, you are starting to spook me. There is a lot that could be said about "you" what (collective you) can't see about dk2. but I will refrain; just as you do likewise.

The VR headsets can't tell when your house is on fire. I think they need to have smoke detectors installed lol.

seriously, im gud enough to know how fads like this is just a push to collect some quick cash and then out. This is why they are so expensive. a classic marketing strategy when more money is earned from hype than product itself, don't ask me how I know just do your research by living and learning.

cluck
07-01-2016, 13:23
:rolleyes:

I'm not following you around (seriously, I have far better things to do with my time than 'follow people around' on an internet forum :)), I'm replying to your post in a thread I am particularly interested in :). I picked up some points in your post that I would have replied to, in the same manner, no matter who the person was that posted it.

beetes_juice
07-01-2016, 13:28
please, stop following me around this forum. go spam somewhere else. There is a lot that could be said about "you" what (collective you) can't see about dk2. but I will refrain; just as you do likewise.

???

Anyway, almost 24 hrs later still no confirmation email :( Order still shows in my history though. If anyones still in the same boat as me I found this last night:

Your preorders are good to go. There was a very small window during peak where tax was not calculated, and therefore, it could not display the final estimated pricing, hence what you are seeing. We're going to run through the database tonight and clean everything up. It should display tomorrow for you. Hang tight.

Here. (https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3zqjyx/we_are_at_80k_orders_now/cyod4tv)

Thats someone over on reddit named TheTwistgibber? Take it for what it is but from his post over there the user looks to be a part of Oculus. Weird to see a comment on there and not hear a word from Oculus but who knows; it was both posted on Reddit and over on the Oculus forums so hopefully its correct. Would make me feel a lot better.

maxpainpayne
07-01-2016, 14:04
:rolleyes:

I'm not following you around (seriously, I have far better things to do with my time than 'follow people around' on an internet forum :)), I'm replying to your post in a thread I am particularly interested in :). I picked up some points in your post that I would have replied to, in the same manner, no matter who the person was that posted it. we're on the same page now

thanks, i can appreciate that type of response, cluck

havocc
07-01-2016, 14:23
So a gtx970 plus 4 usb slots ( 3 of them must be usb3), guess rift is not top priority for now...

venquessa
07-01-2016, 14:25
£500.... nah. No thanks.

I'll wait till the sheeple have queued until May for their over priced one and then buy on in May for £300.

cluck
07-01-2016, 14:29
So a gtx970 plus 4 usb slots ( 3 of them must be usb3), guess rift is not top priority for now...I'm guessing it's :-

1 port for headset
1 port for camera
1 port for XBOX controller
1 port for future hand controller adapter

Right now, I am betting you only need 2 ports for the headset/camera.

Given how the Rift performs in some games, at least they are quoting realistic requirements. Try "The Talos Principle" with the Rift and it makes Project CARS feel like the smoothest experience ever (I've had to turn a lot of detail way down in that game to stop it being incredibly jerky). As per my sig, I have a 3570K overclocked to 4.2GHz and an overclocked MSI GTX980 Gaming Edition GPU.

havocc
07-01-2016, 15:39
I'm guessing it's :-

1 port for headset
1 port for camera
1 port for XBOX controller
1 port for future hand controller adapter

Right now, I am betting you only need 2 ports for the headset/camera.

Given how the Rift performs in some games, at least they are quoting realistic requirements. Try "The Talos Principle" with the Rift and it makes Project CARS feel like the smoothest experience ever (I've had to turn a lot of detail way down in that game to stop it being incredibly jerky). As per my sig, I have a 3570K overclocked to 4.2GHz and an overclocked MSI GTX980 Gaming Edition GPU.

I have a I7 3770 but a poor Gtx580

Baj
07-01-2016, 18:57
£500.... nah. No thanks.

I'll wait till the sheeple have queued until May for their over priced one and then buy on in May for £300.

You will be waiting a lot longer than may. If you preorder one right now it won't ship until June.

Mad Al
07-01-2016, 21:25
People keep comparing to the price of a phone.. I'd buy like a shot if it was as cheap as my Alcatel OneTouch (£20)

I'll wait to see what people think and see what the competition puts on the table first... I'm in no hurry (still cogitating over a 21:9 screen...)

Joe Moore
07-01-2016, 22:20
Having time to think about cv1 , I've become very weak mentally, when people have the first cv1 in there hands I'll be kicking myself for not buying sooooooooo .

This email confirms that we've received your preorder of the Oculus Rift. :)
I happy not to get it first and June is a good time for me , hopefully game developers will have iron out any issues.

I may as well get the Vive when it's released, eatherway if I don't like one or the other I'll just sell , not for profit though .

Ramjet
07-01-2016, 23:35
Yeah Joe I actually just now thinking to do same as you ! :) very much enjoying my 40 inch screen in the meantime ...

Oh and Cheers & Huge thanks to MrPix for all his advice & suggestions which guided me to pickup the 40 inch Philips before Christmas ... mark B here mate and not long to V2 motion !!!

MrPix
07-01-2016, 23:53
Yeah Joe I actually just now thinking to do same as you ! :) very much enjoying my 40 inch screen in the meantime ...

Oh and Cheers & Huge thanks to MrPix for all his advice & suggestions which guided me to pickup the 40 inch Philips before Christmas ... mark B here mate and not long to V2 motion !!!Glad you like it. Once I had it setup right it was awesome :).

I opened the wallet on the Rift because they appear to have addressed just about every single one of my gripes I had about the DK2. It'll be an alternative experience if it works out to my sFOV setup and something I can do on my own time. But when people are round and taking turns hotlapping, it won't be the OR I will have in use that's for sure, that will be in the drawer where it belongs.

Can't wait for the v2 motion mate... going to be a blast!

Joe Moore
08-01-2016, 00:08

Oh and Cheers & Huge thanks to MrPix for all his advice & suggestions which guided me to pickup the 40 inch Philips before Christmas ... mark B here mate and not long to V2 motion !!!

Lol ---- we are so suckered into VR ----- but once you've tried VR with a good setup and its running well Its so so hard to revert back to the way you used to race .

I have the best of 3 screen setup / cockpit and even tried projectors , but none of it comes close to VR for me .
The only down side for me is other sims i played for years like rf2 and GSC are not supported Yet , a variety of sims I feel is always healthy and keeps the kid in me .

Ramjet
08-01-2016, 01:04
LoL :D Yeah Joe that is too true mate ! ... hopefully gsc & rf2 might see VR updates this year !

Off topic but there is some debate over at the OVR forums due to many cpu's including our 2600's do not come upto spec according to "the tool" which is optimised to check single thread performance but I have found the old chip purrs along happily at 4.8ghz and appears to hold its own so I cannot see reason to upgrade just yet.

ps. @mrpix paul just got some updated info from Hess so will message you.

Just now caved in an pre-ordered the Rift - delivery June which seems so far away right now !

John Hargreaves
08-01-2016, 14:49
Yeah, my 3570 also failed that test, but when I compared its performance it was only a few % below the recommended spec. What do you reckon here? Is it just that you need to be guaranteed to knock out a minimum of 180fps in any game or is there more to it than that?

MrPix
08-01-2016, 15:20
Yeah, my 3570 also failed that test, but when I compared its performance it was only a few % below the recommended spec. What do you reckon here? Is it just that you need to be guaranteed to knock out a minimum of 180fps in any game or is there more to it than that?It tested OK in development on a small computer!

ctd
08-01-2016, 15:30
I was a bit late to the party (order placed yesterday) so delivery will be in june for me too.

But I have to address a big thank you to SMS and all you guys and girls that have bought this game. Thanks to you I have a i little saved amount of euros on my PayPal-account that I can use for this purpose (without wife protesting to much). :cool:

Cheers

Joe Moore
08-01-2016, 15:45
It tested OK in development on a small computer!

Lol ---- shit I'm screwed

Ramjet
09-01-2016, 02:20
I hope you're oc'ing the crap outta that Joe... they are tough little nuts ! :D

venquessa
09-01-2016, 16:01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INDKNA7kXoo

ChelseaOilman
09-01-2016, 18:40
It took me 3 days to get over the sticker shock. Since they're not charging your card right away and you can cancel your pre-order if desired, I placed my order this morning. I ran the compatibility test before ordering and it showed my gpu isn't up to spec. I have an Alienware 17 R3 with 980m gpu. If it in fact turns out the 980m is to weak, I'm covered. I have the external gpu box for my Alienware. Just waiting for the new gpus to come out later this year. Not worth it to invest in a 980ti right now. Delivery in June actually works in my favor as I can get it shipped to my summer home in Colorado and save $48 in sales tax. Not sure why they were charging 8% sales tax to ship to my winter home in Texas.

RaceNut
09-01-2016, 22:07
Everything checked out good on my system using the compatibility test. I expected some USB issues but, that's good too.

In regard to new GPU's, I wonder if the manufacturers will actually make their forecast this time; they have had to delay a lot recently.

venquessa
10-01-2016, 12:04
Mine said my processor was too slow. This is really annoying as they are clearly siding with Intel on this which is Corporate spite IMHO. They quote an i5 4590 or something which is a psuedo-quad core 2.5Ghz. My processor is an 8 core 4.5Ghz with the option of 5Ghz turbo mode.

I'll be ignoring that then.

They also claim that my USB 3.0 controllers are not compatible with the rift. I'm sorry, but USB3.0 is USB3.0 if you say you don't support x, y or z implementation of it, then your software is bugged and not worth buying.

Silraed
10-01-2016, 12:12
Mine said my processor was too slow. This is really annoying as they are clearly siding with Intel on this which is Corporate spite IMHO. They quote an i5 4590 or something which is a psuedo-quad core 2.5Ghz. My processor is an 8 core 4.5Ghz with the option of 5Ghz turbo mode.

Their test focuses on single core performance, from what I have seen. AMD have been behind on single core performance since before they started pushing the higher core counts, a higher clock speed doesn't always mean much either.

10-01-2016, 12:29
They quote an i5 4590 or something which is a psuedo-quad core 2.5Ghz.According to specs it's a proper quad core.

Ezuna
10-01-2016, 12:33
Nope...couldn't care less about VR

venquessa
10-01-2016, 12:44
Their test focuses on single core performance, from what I have seen. AMD have been behind on single core performance since before they started pushing the higher core counts, a higher clock speed doesn't always mean much either.

It's really not that simple. There are many things I use my computer for where the AMD 8 cores wipe the floor with the intels. Also in the benchmarks I can find the AMD 9590 is benchmarking against the i7's not the i5's in all but a few tests. Granted those tests are gaming tests, but the margins are reasonable in the sub 10% mostly.

I expect it will work fine on the 9590, it might be 2-5% slower, but to say they only support Intel i5 in my world would be illegal unless they can prove it is the case, to not do so should be considered cooperation, price fixing and market manipulation. But we have a "free market" remember? Where the market is free to screw you.

Silraed
10-01-2016, 13:55
snip

I am not saying the higher end higher core count AMD CPU's are not powerful, they are, but their strength doesn't come from single core efficiency and power. If Oculus have found that the best specs for their hardware at the moment, I say at the moment because hopefully once DX12 really takes off multicore performance in gaming increases, is higher performing individual cores then that is what they are going to recommend to cover themselves. If that means recommending Intel then that is what they will do, I highly doubt there is a conspiracy behind the scenes.

However I don't like the way their hardware test says either "You are good." or "Nope it ain't running.". We will most likely find you can run the Rift software, though possibly with reduced quality, on much lower spec hardware than their test suggests. I am personally not giving much weight to the results of their hardware test.

Joe Moore
10-01-2016, 15:17
Nope...couldn't care less about VR

Ah that's a pity ,,, buuuuyyyyyy lol

Mad Al
10-01-2016, 15:50
It's really not that simple. There are many things I use my computer for where the AMD 8 cores wipe the floor with the intels. Also in the benchmarks I can find the AMD 9590 is benchmarking against the i7's not the i5's in all but a few tests. Granted those tests are gaming tests, but the margins are reasonable in the sub 10% mostly.

I expect it will work fine on the 9590, it might be 2-5% slower, but to say they only support Intel i5 in my world would be illegal unless they can prove it is the case, to not do so should be considered cooperation, price fixing and market manipulation. But we have a "free market" remember? Where the market is free to screw you.

As they talk specifically about single thread performance

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

the i5-4590 rates a fair bit above the FX9590 for single thread - then again so do 27 different i3 CPUs....

Ezuna
11-01-2016, 13:11
Ah that's a pity ,,, buuuuyyyyyy lol

Don't see why it's a pity at all. I have no interest in it, I can afford it, I don't want to spend time on it.

I think you mean 'bye' though don't you? Unless you're encouraging me to 'buy' it?

:p

BigDad
11-01-2016, 13:13
So whats the interest in this thread then?

cluck
11-01-2016, 13:44
must ..... resist ...... mentioning coleslaw .....

(no, I'm not going to go there again and to save the mods a headache, let this be the start and end of it in here!)

ammonthenephite
11-01-2016, 13:45
Don't see why it's a pity at all. I have no interest in it

I guess there are people out there who would rather race a track on a screen rather than teleport there and be in the car themselves, so VR and its vastly superior immersive experience won't be for everyone:D /s

They also claim that my USB 3.0 controllers are not compatible with the rift. I'm sorry, but USB3.0 is USB3.0 if you say you don't support x, y or z implementation of it, then your software is bugged and not worth buying.

USB 3.0's aren't all created equal. Outside of VR I've had numerous issues with 3.0 compatibility with a few big name peripherals. Some just don't like certain drivers that other devices can handle just fine, and vice versa. Its not an Oculus software thing, but more of a lack of complete, across the board standardization of usb 3.0 driver software among the different motherboard manufacturers. Things are improving though, as evidenced by the fact that all my driver conflict issues went away after upgrading to windows 10, so it may not be the big issue it is for very long.

seriously, im gud enough to know how fads like this is just a push to collect some quick cash and then out.
For sure there are a few small companies that would fit into this category, trying to ride the coat tails of Oculus, Valve, and Sony, and given its lack of success the first time VR tried to emerge, I don't blame anyone, especially those who haven't tried it, who call it a 'fad'. But the tech to make it actually implementable (tech that wasn't near good enough in the early 90's) now exists (thanks to the mobile phone market), and a multi-billion dollar investment by multiple large corporations (oculus/facebook, valve, htc, sony, nvidia, amd, samsung, etc) and committment well beyond the all ready 3 years and running time line is hardly a 'fad'. Large, wealthy corporations have seen its potential, and unlike the early 90's, they are now jumping on board.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, and for sure as I mentioned there are a few smaller companies hoping to cash in early on the future of gaming and entertainment, but VR is here, and here to stay. No one is saying it will eliminate the forms of entertainment that came before it, but it will eventually be to tv's and monitors what tv's were to radio. None will ever go away, each will have their place, but vr will certainly come to hold a substantial portion of the market.

Lol ---- we are so suckered into VR ----- but once you've tried VR with a good setup and its running well Its so so hard to revert back to the way you used to race .

Amen to that. For a long time I gamed on my 50" plasma. After a couple years of vr now (dk1 then dk2, soon cv1!) gaming on the plasma now is just incredibly unimmersive and so 'distant' now. It really has ruined me as far as conventional gaming goes. I just can't go from being IN the car, being IN the wwII fighter, actually standing face to face with crying, burning witch zombies, etc., to looking at them through a window on a flat, 2d tv screen, unable to easily and natrually look around.

I've been spoiled by VR, and I wouldn't have it any other way:)

Joe Moore
11-01-2016, 19:35
Don't see why it's a pity at all. I have no interest in it, I can afford it, I don't want to spend time on it.

I think you mean 'bye' though don't you? Unless you're encouraging me to 'buy' it?

:p

I see now you could take it as ( go take a hike :) ) but I was not trying to be rude , maybe I should have put --- buy buy buy buy buy , before there sold out .:tongue-new:

----------------------------
I see there is also a remote included in CV1 , had not noticed this before .

Ramjet
12-01-2016, 02:13
Hey guys these are exciting times :biggrin-new: but the wait is gonna be killer ! :livid: Since pulling the trigger on the deal last Friday I have been watching alot of the Oculus Connect 2 vids from last October that I never bothered with and wow there is some really good stuff there - Michael Abrash and John Carmack in particular were really interesting to listen to if you have time to sit through several hours of talking.

Also few things Palmer has said in various Reddit threads over the last few days is interesting as well. Someone mentioned he heard Oculus was surprised by the number of pre-orders and asked would production be ramped up to accomodate this and Palmers' simple answer was "Yes". This has given me hope that my June ship date could move up by a month or more, taking into account reports oculus are weeding out & deleting many early orders that were duplicates and fraudulent together with others using ship.to type addresses or freight forwarding which they won't accept. Maybe we are all only 3 to 4 months away from this long awaited experience of the first retail Rift ... I am really pumped as it is going to be fantastic :victorious:

Regarding the final price, I was knocked over like many but then I just watched an incredibly good presentation by the two woman (yep gals !) who lead the Oculus engineering design team responsible for the final CV1 and it made me believe we are really paying far less than it is worth, relative to factors such as dev cost and being a brand new hi-tech device.

Please do yourselves a favor if you have not already watched this hour long presentation as it truly makes you appreciate just how much research, planning and experimentation (literally hundreds of prototypes) that went into the making of this exciting new piece of kit. The girls commitment and passion for the project is really palpable in the video. cheers rj :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wml-yZqnQ8U

Let us know your impressions if you do watch this as they certainly are amongst the unsung heroes of this project I thought.

Morgan Henstridge
12-01-2016, 10:38
I was just going to get the CV1 and not bother with the Touch controllers.

Then i watched a video on Oculus Medium. Now I can't wait for damn Touch controllers :)

maxpainpayne
12-01-2016, 11:50

For sure there are a few small companies that would fit into this category, trying to ride the coat tails of Oculus, Valve, and Sony, and given its lack of success the first time VR tried to emerge, I don't blame anyone, especially those who haven't tried it, who call it a 'fad'. But the tech to make it actually implementable (tech that wasn't near good enough in the early 90's) now exists (thanks to the mobile phone market), and a multi-billion dollar investment by multiple large corporations (oculus/facebook, valve, htc, sony, nvidia, amd, samsung, etc) and committment well beyond the all ready 3 years and running time line is hardly a 'fad'. Large, wealthy corporations have seen its potential, and unlike the early 90's, they are now jumping on board.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, and for sure as I mentioned there are a few smaller companies hoping to cash in early on the future of gaming and entertainment, but VR is here, and here to stay. No one is saying it will eliminate the forms of entertainment that came before it, but it will eventually be to tv's and monitors what tv's were to radio. None will ever go away, each will have their place, but vr will certainly come to hold a substantial portion of the market.

generally most games in this gen are too buggy and underdeveloped. as a result, VR will be a complete failure. unlike sitting 10 feet away from a tv set, soon we will be able to have game breaking graphical bugs glitching right in our faces with the new VR headsets. This doesn't make things better and basically I don't think we are ready for this.

what the - is this? and would you want to have these graphic in a VR headset? also this is a graphical image from one of the latest game to date 2015 Fallout 4.

developers need to work more on graphics not VR, and once they finally ironed out the graphics in games would it really be a need for the oculust riff and other VRs? I think not.

remember the initial kinect project for xbox. something that was impressive technology, developers claimed that it would change the world and they shoved it down our throats. guess what, it didn't change the world. why? kinect does not provide consumable entertainment. it only provides a useless brief impressive spectical "xbox on". this is exactly what is going to happen with VR. it will be impressive but typically people are not going to wear blinding goggles all the time while gaming.

Headphones is an example of consumable technology. Because people need headphones in specific times when others around need silence. That makes headphones useful again and again (also cell phones, ring ring ring). kinect and VR does not follow that same theory.

ask yourself:

is VR needed?

is it consumable?

does it cause blindness with continuous usage?

is it a cash grab technology that is designed to die out as soon as it hit the markets?

Preorder 6 months out, haha. Have we not learned yet from the preorder gimmicks?

Sure it may be fun and exciting but I think VR is simply another kinect. useless junk that will soon be required in order to get the best out of sim racing while you should have the same fun with a 60" hdtv 120hz. or 3 24" multiscreen monitors.

John Hargreaves
12-01-2016, 12:29

Some people would make a snarky comment at this point :rolleyes:

maxpainpayne
12-01-2016, 12:38

Seriously, because I know wearing 3d glasses or any unorthodox lenses close to the eyes for long periods of time causes a strain on the eyes. this should be taken seriously imo, not as a snarky comment.

Joe Moore
12-01-2016, 12:40
For years with 3 monitors I would get very sore eyes and bad headaches , I've being using VR for nearly a year and half and never felt better , one side effect that I experienced --- getting hair in my eyes -- from the poorly designed rift head straps and the lens steaming up :)

Another problem with VR you can be so isolated from what's going around you , I have noticed I never use it during the day time , it always night time when nothing happening , this is when I get the urge to race .

maxpainpayne
12-01-2016, 12:50
For years with 3 monitors I would get very sore eyes and bad headaches , I've being using VR for nearly a year and half and never felt better , one side effect that I experienced --- getting hair in my eyes -- from the poorly designed rift head straps and the lens steaming up :)

Another problem with VR you can be so isolated from what's going around you , I have noticed I never use it during the day time , it always night time when nothing happening , this is when I get the urge to race .

well, I have been watching images on a tv or monitor screen for just about 40 years, my eyes have not been sore for using monitors. something don't seem logical about your comment. Did you just say by watching your tv monitors gave you sore eyes and the only cure is to use the VR? Nice try joe Moore, but we got you lol.

12-01-2016, 12:54
Most eye soreness from monitor/screen usage tends to come from having them adjusted badly (which probably about 90% of monitors are). A well adjusted monitor strains your eyes no more than any other surface, unless there's something really wrong with it.

Lewis Puppy
12-01-2016, 12:56

So you could be burglarized, stabbed and murdered and you'd never know it. You'd just be amazed at how real it feels(hurts). :)

Mad Al
12-01-2016, 13:58

Ivor Biggun might disagree... as he bloody well should ;)

TrevorAustin
12-01-2016, 14:42
And that's the deal clincher for me. Aside from the odd dallying with some old FPS classics (eg Quake), there is almost nothing I use my Rift for. If Vive support isn't added then it simply isn't an option for me. Although support will almost certainly be added to pCARS2, my focus at the moment is pCARS and, as such, that leaves me with one choice, Oculus.

Yes ,but keep the DK2 for Pcars one and Vive for PCars2:)

John Hargreaves
12-01-2016, 15:16
Seriously, because I know wearing 3d glasses or any unorthodox lenses close to the eyes for long periods of time causes a strain on the eyes. this should be taken seriously imo, not as a snarky comment.

a) Didn't say your comment was snarky, seems perfectly reasonable to me.

b) When I was a kid they said too much telly would ruin your eyes. Human race not blind yet however.

c) All things in moderation.

d) Try to be more positive, you will be happier.

Joe Moore
12-01-2016, 15:22
well, I have been watching images on a tv or monitor screen for just about 40 years, my eyes have not been sore for using monitors. something don't seem logical about your comment. Did you just say by watching your tv monitors gave you sore eyes and the only cure is to use the VR? Nice try joe Moore, but we got you lol.

Max I've being watching Tv for more than 40 years but i never watched tv the way I use a PC monitor .
When working or playing on the PC my eyes are -- maybe 1 metre from the screens , looking at tv I would be a good distance from it when viewing .
It sound like you haven't tried good VR ?

Nice try Max trying to twist my words , but it's possible you are turning into a negative old grumpy man that has a chip on the shoulder 🤓 Lol ,

I'm sure there are many here that have the same eye soreness when using a monitors over time but watching television has not being a problem because of the distance they view from .

Again I say to you ( using VR / rift feels natural TO ME -- I don't suffer with eye soreness anymore ) .
You have concerns for health issues using VR , just don't buy it Max , but I took a chance and so far it feels sooooooo good I ordered CV1 and will get Vive as well :D

Mad Al
12-01-2016, 15:35
Staring at a single thing for long periods (like a book or monitor) will reduce the rate of blinking, that can cause problems with soreness and fatigue...

So despite what the Doctor may tell you, blink..

maxpainpayne
12-01-2016, 15:40
well hand claps to you too. Thanks for that graceful information. and lol to anyone else who want to make this thread about me instead of the VR. I shall shut my mouth now and let you all continue to walk around wearing your stylish VRs.

12-01-2016, 15:58
Staring at a single thing for long periods (like a book or monitor) will reduce the rate of blinking, that can cause problems with soreness and fatigue...

So despite what the Doctor may tell you, blink..That, and bad settings are indeed the major causes.

John Hargreaves
12-01-2016, 17:26
I'm getting some googly eyes to stick on the front of mine.

Edit, obviously, it's already been done

12-01-2016, 17:47

225222It was done even back before the DK1, when it was constructed with tape. And real ones too, not ms paint ones like on yours. =)

RaceNut
12-01-2016, 18:26
I've been learning quite a bit on the Audio aspect of CV1 and it seems Oculus are the only ones that see spatialized audio as a key component to compelling VR. Sony is working on a simplified audio solution but, the integrated audio DAC is pretty sophisticated. It seems to be shaping up to add a lot to the VR experience - at least with games that utilize it. It does require code-level changes so I don't see it being added to existing titles but, I think it'll be very worth while to use the Oculus headphones in some cases.

Bobobski
12-01-2016, 18:36
Yes, not blinking, bad setup... and:

Not refocusing your eyes regularly enough, hence the 20-20-20 rule: ‘Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds’ – Seriously, do any of these people actually play video games ;)

12-01-2016, 18:37

Not refocusing your eyes regularly enough, hence the 20-20-20 rule: ‘Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds’ – Seriously, do any of these people actually play video games ;)At least the optics in these are supposed to make your eyes focus quite far away, further than a monitor would be. =)

Baj
12-01-2016, 19:11
generally most games in this gen are too buggy and underdeveloped. as a result, VR will be a complete failure. unlike sitting 10 feet away from a tv set, soon we will be able to have game breaking graphical bugs glitching right in our faces with the new VR headsets. This doesn't make things better and basically I don't think we are ready for this.

what the - is this? and would you want to have these graphic in a VR headset? also this is a graphical image from one of the latest game to date 2015 Fallout 4.

developers need to work more on graphics not VR, and once they finally ironed out the graphics in games would it really be a need for the oculust riff and other VRs? I think not.

remember the initial kinect project for xbox. something that was impressive technology, developers claimed that it would change the world and they shoved it down our throats. guess what, it didn't change the world. why? kinect does not provide consumable entertainment. it only provides a useless brief impressive spectical "xbox on". this is exactly what is going to happen with VR. it will be impressive but typically people are not going to wear blinding goggles all the time while gaming.

Headphones is an example of consumable technology. Because people need headphones in specific times when others around need silence. That makes headphones useful again and again (also cell phones, ring ring ring). kinect and VR does not follow that same theory.

ask yourself:

is VR needed?

is it consumable?

is it a cash grab technology that is designed to die out as soon as it hit the markets?

Preorder 6 months out, haha. Have we not learned yet from the preorder gimmicks?

Sure it may be fun and exciting but I think VR is simply another kinect. useless junk that will soon be required in order to get the best out of sim racing while you should have the same fun with a 60" hdtv 120hz. or 3 24" multiscreen monitors.

I take it you have not used a VR headset.

Baj
12-01-2016, 19:16

Just make sure you don't stick them over the ir tracking LEDs in the headset :)

John Hargreaves
12-01-2016, 19:32
At least the optics in these are supposed to make your eyes focus quite far away, further than a monitor would be. =)

Absolutely. The virtual image through the lens will allow your eye's own lens to relax and focus at infinity (or at least the greater distance depicted in the game world), so there's every chance the Rift could be better for your eyes than a conventional monitor.

I saw the pic that Jussi posted above but the one I chose just made me laugh a lot more, even though it was slightly doctored, it illustrated the point clearly, that there is no way any of us will look daft wearing a Rift.

Something tells me once you're in you won't care anyway.

Ramjet
13-01-2016, 12:45
well hand claps to you too. Thanks for that graceful information. and lol to anyone else who want to make this thread about me instead of the VR. I shall shut my mouth now and let you all continue to walk around wearing your stylish VRs.

No disrespect is intended but you come across as really disliking VR and in a sarcastic way. No one denies you to have an opinion and share it but some of your statements are bizarre. Have you spent sufficient time with a variety of good VR titles to form a reasonable impression ? Or did you just have a short trial and due to initial unease or VR sickness gave it up quickly ?

How did you come to the conclusion, as you stated "generally most games in this gen are too buggy and underdeveloped. as a result, VR will be a complete failure". Success is relative, same as failure but thus far VR is achieving more success than failures and the technology is advancing so quickly now it is incredible. Listen to a few very intelligent technological people like Michael Abrash and John Carmack, amongst others to hear the latest information which puts your opinion into perspective.

The current gen of VR is still in the alpha and beta stage and those of us that jumped onboard with the Development Kit were well aware of that - bugs and all. However most if not all AAA titles these days ship with massive bugs awaiting patches, so nothing unusual there. That said, many of the great VR experiences such as pCars, Elite Dangerous and Assetto Corsa worked so well right out of the blocks that they transported us to another world where we instantly knew this IS the future of gaming and especially for the seated experience of racing and flying. Also the genre of platformers is about to undergo a transformation that reportedly feels so natural you will never go back - listen to the guys from Playful, creators of Luckey's Tale, talk about it here www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbiioTWaY2E

The questions you posed :
Is VR needed ? Not really, it's a want not a need, but it is the most immersive & brilliant form of entertainment delivery to come along since the advent of moving pictures. I need it ! :eagerness:

Is it consumable ? No, far too much synthetics & heavy metals, no real protein :disgust: but seriously just take a look at how many dk2's were sold and how early pre orders of cv1 exceeded expectation. The consumer market wants this exciting new tech as quickly as possible and even accepting that cpu, gpu and screen technology needs to catch up before we have the ultimate VR experience, what we can have now is going to be awesome anyway. Anyone, especially those like me who remember the early computer race games of the 80's, will tell you how incredible that first experience of racing Project Cars in a Dk2 was :frog: (or Assetto Corsa, Live for Speed and iRacing).

Does it cause blindness with continuous usage ? I seriously doubt it, but if you gotta go blind it may as well be doing something you love - bit awkward when the wife/girlfriend catches you ! :distant:

Is it a cash grab technology that is designed to die out as soon as it hit the markets ? No definitely not, there is massive investment and ongoing research from diverse sources, industry analysts predict the mobile VR market will expand first and pc market will grow exponentially. Palmer Luckey has explained the price point in a Reddit thread, very well I thought. Looking at it rationally & objectively, it appears we are getting CV1 at an excellent price and according to Palmer they are not making profit on the headset. It is still very early days yet and like all new tech prices will come down over next few years. If you choose to totally disbelieve him then this of course holds no water but he is young and smart enough to know such statements if proven untrue later will bite him hard - I think on this point he is being 99% honest (margin of error).

Preorder 6 months out, haha. Have we not learned yet from the preorder gimmicks ? I would not describe it a a gimmick but the reality of how they chose to market, given they are a new company without international infrastructure or manufacturing capabilities. Fact is that many who pre-ordered are current owners of devkits or have tried VR and others are just keen based on what they have learned over the past couple years. If Oculus were Apple they would not have a pre-order but just make an announcement like with the iPhones and then there would be massive ques outside brick & mortar stores on Day One of release, I rather prefer it this way. Anyway it is fun waiting and anticipating, like the excitement of being a little kid again, waiting for Christmas to come around - for some of us old coots (and young coots too), that is a great feeling that doesn't come by too often. :biggrin-new:

I totally agree though that the new Oculus CV1 is a stylish piece of kit and I cannot wait to get my grubby paws on it :untroubled:

RetroNooB
13-01-2016, 12:56

Not refocusing your eyes regularly enough, hence the 20-20-20 rule: ‘Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds’ – Seriously, do any of these people actually play video games ;)

how many people have a 20+ft living/bed/gaming room tho? lol

Bealdor
13-01-2016, 13:01
how many people have a 20+ft living/bed/gaming room tho? lol

I think we all can agree that most people have windows in said rooms where they can look out of. ;)

13-01-2016, 13:02
how many people have a 20+ft living/bed/gaming room tho? lolMost have a window though. Well, over here it's "everyone has a window", since it's literally illegal to build a room that doesn't, apart from bathrooms and small closets.

That put a serious hamper on my plan to build an underground house to maximize yard space...

RetroNooB
13-01-2016, 13:14
I think we all can agree that most people have windows in said rooms where they can look out of. ;)

nobody said the 20/20/20 rule included getting out of my racerig to go near the window tho! :D

cluck
13-01-2016, 13:22
I can't remember the last time I stopped playing something after 20 minutes just to give my eyes a break :o.

Joe Moore
10-03-2016, 23:16
Top 5 Racing Sims for the Oculus Rift------ http://www.roadtovr.com/top-5-racing-sims-with-oculus-rift-support-virtual-reality/?utm_source=Road+to+VR+Daily+News+Roundup&utm_campaign=c76d6332a1-RtoVR_RSS_Daily_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e2e394ad33-c76d6332a1-168131637-
It's only guys opinion but he's not far off .

if we got shadows working / cockpit brightness sorted / and have the mouse pointer visible, It might hit no1 VR sim experience , I wonder how there progressing , mind you I'd place it at no 3 :) not fifth.

CV1 hopefully will have it sorted .

cluck
11-03-2016, 08:14
So AC and iRacing, which both need the user to faff about with older versions of the Runtime, both looking more primitive than Project CARS and with one of them (AC) providing nothing on the headset except the driver view, come out higher than Project CARS? How does that work? I won't argue with Live For Speed's #1 spot though. It might well be an utterly ancient game but it does work without any faffing around and the VR menus work brilliantly too.

What really helps those other games, I suspect, is that they don't put as much demand on the system resources as pCARS does. It will be interesting to see how pCARS performs once CV1 is out :).

RaceNut
11-03-2016, 13:57
It's good to see an article that actually addresses Sim-racing and VR. I hope that it makes some developers somewhat uncomfortable with either being left out of the discussion or not fairing so well.

I do agree that Pcars should be higher up in the ranking with VR support based on current conditions.

While AC's interiors look really nice, the overall VR graphic performance was letting it down with lighting issues and odd color-palette problems as if being limited to 256 colors (Maybe PPF related), at least on my system. AC's lack of menu support should automatically put it at the back of the line as far as I'm concerned and it sounds as though their revised VR support based on SDK1.0+ won't be much better; such limited VR support should be considered and is likely to hurt any VR ranking in the future if that holds true.

Based on my last experiences with VR and the mentioned titles, I'd put them like this: 1) LFS, 2) iRacing, 3) Pcars, 4) Dirt Rally, 5) Assetto Corsa

The last two could be switched depending on how one prioritizes certain aspects but, each one has some deficiencies in one way or another. It will certainly be interesting to see what develops in the coming months and I hope that AMS and rF2 make it to the VR party.:)

Ramjet
12-03-2016, 00:23
Also secretly hoping RaceRoom Racing Experience brings VR upto date using similar technique to get working as devs of LFS and ETS2 did for their dx9 sims. RR my race sim of choice these days. :tennis:

John Hargreaves
13-03-2016, 14:03
It's getting close now, and the news will likely be leaking out soon. I'm starting this thread so that the Oculus DK2 support thread doesn't get lost under all the excitement.
Anyway, when's yours due? I think mine's scheduled for April delivery. Can't wait.

surtic86
14-03-2016, 07:00
There you have the right thread :)

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?43740-Oculus-Rift-CV1-Discussion&highlight=oculus

John Hargreaves
15-03-2016, 13:20
Man, I'm getting too old for this internet malarky, I'd totally forgotten starting that thread at all.

Still, this one is pCars and CV1, the other is CV1 general discussion. As usual letting my excitement get in the way of any kind of intelligent human behaviour.

John Hargreaves
16-03-2016, 13:18
Project Cars named by Oculus as one of the 30 launch day titles

http://uploadvr.com/these-are-the-30-rift-launch-titles-available-on-day-one/

and a little bit of video coverage here at 14:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD4LF-9ou6E&feature=youtu.be

And a short test of Pcars with the CV1

http://www.slashgear.com/oculus-vr-preview-project-cars-16431805/

Lord Kinbote
16-03-2016, 15:51
From the article on PCars coming to Oculus :
​When Project CARS Game Of The Year Edition launches, all purchasers of the game on Oculus Store will then automatically get upgraded to this version too.

So then what about those of us original WMD members with Oculus DK2's who funded this game, and tested early VR support? :confused:

Does this mean I now after all the above + buying all DLC that I have to buy the game again, because that would be a bunch of BS IMHO. :(

I hope that SMS is going to give us existing customers with VR "keys" to this version as Frontier is doing with Elite Dangerous for it's VR version.

crowtrobot
16-03-2016, 15:54
From the article on PCars coming to Oculus :

So then what about those of us original WMD members with Oculus DK2's who funded, and tested early VR support? :confused:

Does this mean I now after all the above + buying all DLC that I have to buy the game again, because that would be a bunch of BS IMHO. :(

I hope that SMS is going to give us existing customers with VR "keys" to this version as Frontier is doing with Elite Dangerous for it's VR version.
I imagine that the Steam version of pCARS will get the updates, just as the Steam version of Elite is being updated as well. I'm not sure who is doing the press releases for pCARS, but they are pretty bad with their wording. Things like this were very unclear with the original GOTY announcement as well. Why is this constantly an issue?

Lord Kinbote
16-03-2016, 16:02
I imagine that the Steam version of pCARS will get the updates, just as the Steam version of Elite is being updated as well. I'm not sure who is doing the press releases for pCARS, but they are pretty bad with their wording. Things like this were very unclear with the original GOTY announcement as well. Why is this constantly an issue?

Well from what I hear (as Frontier is giving Oculus Store keys for ED for this reason) the Oculus Store version (aka a VR version) is only playable on the Oculus Store.
It sounds like if you are partnered up with Oculus then you have to sell the VR version on their store, so this creates a disconnect...it's all so confusing, so I ask for clarification. :p

Moolers
16-03-2016, 17:01
So are current owners gonna get a "key" for Project Cars on the Oculus store? Any official word?

crowtrobot
16-03-2016, 18:00
Well from what I hear (as Frontier is giving Oculus Store keys for ED for this reason) the Oculus Store version (aka a VR version) is only playable on the Oculus Store.
It sounds like if you are partnered up with Oculus then you have to sell the VR version on their store, so this creates a disconnect...it's all so confusing, so I ask for clarification. :p
From the latest newsletter (emphasis mine):

Before the Oculus launch we will be releasing an updated Elite Dangerous build which will contains support for the latest Oculus SDK, available at no additional charge. All of the existing and future customers that have an Oculus Rift consumer headset will be able to use it.

Any existing and future players who wish to permanently migrate to the Oculus Store will be able to get a free code from the Frontier Store (as they do with Steam keys currently).
That last statement implies to me that those who *want* to have an Elite install in the Oculus Store will be able to do so via generated key from Frontier, but everyone will be receiving the update regardless of what storefront they have bought on. I agree that it would be nice to have some confirmation from SMS that this is the case though.

Malsa
16-03-2016, 18:12
I noticed that shadows were turned off in the Tested video while in the screenshots and video over here they are turned on: http://www.projectcarsgame.com/vr.html

I really hope it was a non-final VR implementation that was being shown at the Oculus event and that we will get shadows in VR for the release or the near future.

SgtTommo
16-03-2016, 18:38
https://twitter.com/projectcarsgame/status/710180981429424128

there is your answer :)

Carstones
16-03-2016, 19:51
The answer is to check the forums though. I'm at the forums now, going back to twitter, then to the forums and unless I stop for a break we have an infinite loop.
I know the current Steam version has some VR support, I'm playing it quite often on my DK2 - question is about possible differences between the oculus store game and the steam game as well as key migration.
I guess they are still sorting out the details, but It would be really nice with a good answer to these two questions:
Will the Steam version be identical to the Oculus store version (except for the Oculus store version having all DLC like the GOTY edition)?
Will there be an option to upgrade or migrate the Steam keys?

Schadows
16-03-2016, 20:27
I highly doubt there will be any possibility to migrate the steam key to an Oculus key.
They are separate stores, with separate owners (and separate share on the game price). It's like having bought a game on GoG an wanting to play it on Steam (not as an external game of course), not possible.

the SLI VR question was probably the part for which the community manager incited to look it up on the forum.

surtic86
17-03-2016, 06:07
The Games are the same. You will also have the same VR Experiance over the Steam or Oculus Store. You don't need the Oculus Store to play VR Games!

NoBrakes
17-03-2016, 11:40
The Games are the same. You will also have the same VR Experiance over the Steam or Oculus Store. You don't need the Oculus Store to play VR Games!

Not really - according to these informations (http://www.projectcarsgame.com/vr.html) the OR store version has all DLCs released so far included and will get a free upgrade to the GOTY edition when this gets released:

When Project CARS launches on the Oculus Store it will come complete with all the On Demand content added so far over the last year in addition to further VR-specific improvements coming to the Oculus version.

​When Project CARS Game Of The Year Edition launches, all purchasers of the game on Oculus Store will then automatically get upgraded to this version too.

surtic86
17-03-2016, 12:07
The Game is the same.... you can also get all DLC then on Steam.

NoBrakes
17-03-2016, 12:33
The Game is the same.... you can also get all DLC then on Steam.

Yes, but not all included for as much as 49$ ...

Bealdor
17-03-2016, 12:52

GOTY Edition... ;)

surtic86
17-03-2016, 13:01

Price does't matter on that Question he had before.

VR in Oculus Store is the same VR in Steam also the SAME Game.

NoBrakes
17-03-2016, 13:26
Price does't matter on that Question he had before.

VR in Oculus Store is the same VR in Steam also the SAME Game.

There will be a special "VR Edition" on Steam with all the DLC content besides the GOTY as well? Never heard about and doesn't make any sense to me ... and is the price for the Steam GOTY still fixed (and 49$, too?)

surtic86
17-03-2016, 13:37
When Project CARS launches on the Oculus Store it will come complete with all the On Demand content added so far over the last year in addition to further VR-specific improvements coming to the Oculus version.

Source: http://www.projectcarsgame.com/vr.html

It's like a Package to push Oculus i think. But they don't split the Game in two Version... one with VR and one with VR..... would be more Work for nothing.

ctd
17-03-2016, 16:31
Source: http://www.projectcarsgame.com/vr.html

It's like a Package to push Oculus i think. But they don't split the Game in two Version... one with VR and one with VR..... would be more Work for nothing.

Also, it would be rather silly of them to talk about Oculus support for the Steam version (like in the Twitter above) if they by that mean support only for the prototype (DK2) and not for the consumer version. I think we can be rest assured that GOTY and current Steamversion both will have support for Oculus consumer version. Everything else would be not serious and not businesslike in my opinion. :)

stephenb
17-03-2016, 21:26
But will their be a period of CV1 exclusivity for the Oculus store version?

Schadows
17-03-2016, 22:22
Like the release of additionnal content on existing platform, the patch for CV support might not be synchonized between Steam and Oculus Store, but it will come shortly after.
And is there something different, code-wise, between a game developed for DK2 and CV1 ?

peregrine7
18-03-2016, 11:58
But will there be a period of CV1 exclusivity for the Oculus store version?

Only as long as it takes for the devs to implement Vive support, there are (as far as I know) no limited licensing deals with PCars and VR. The only reason Rift support has been completed so soon is that Oculus' dev support team have been helping out with the integration.

Also, from twitter, the Oculus store version and Steam version will be identical. The Oculus Store will just be an alternate place to buy the game, but there will be no difference in features. All VR features will be present in the steam version of the game (as they are already, though not OR1.3)

flybikes
19-03-2016, 08:31
VR Equipment like this will never work!

The Oculus Rift ando ter VR equipament will be the biggest fail of all time! ( the second major fail... The first was the 3D
I'm already imagine... "I cannot play this game in oculus rift, because this game is new and requires the oculus 7.3 and my mines are the version 5, so I have to give like 500 euros to have a new version.

Oculus rift will NEVER work... ( you guys can write this on paper). People DONT WANT to use anything in your head...not even a simple light height glasses to see a movie...A SIMPLE GLASSES!!! ...imagine a oculus rift or similar that are like helmets!

It will be cool in the first 2 weeks. Then it's trash...and I'm not talking about nausea effects, the price and other things. Even if they "work" and even if the price dropped to 150 euros.. they will be another fail like 3D glasses....another kinnect...another ps eye and so on: Gadgets.

By the way, a screen so much close to the eyes : RIP to the vision. I hope you guys have a contact of a oculist, because you will need it. It's the worst thing to our eyes, that we can imagine.

rev happy
19-03-2016, 11:28

The Oculus Rift ando ter VR equipament will be the biggest fail of all time! ( the second major fail... The first was the 3D
I'm already imagine... "I cannot play this game in oculus rift, because this game is new and requires the oculus 7.3 and my mines are the version 5, so I have to give like 500 euros to have a new version.

Oculus rift will NEVER work... ( you guys can write this on paper). People DONT WANT to use anything in your head...not even a simple light height glasses to see a movie...A SIMPLE GLASSES!!! ...imagine a oculus rift or similar that are like helmets!

It will be cool in the first 2 weeks. Then it's trash...and I'm not talking about nausea effects, the price and other things. Even if they "work" and even if the price dropped to 150 euros.. they will be another fail like 3D glasses....another kinnect...another ps eye and so on: Gadgets.

By the way, a screen so much close to the eyes : RIP to the vision. I hope you guys have a contact of a oculist, because you will need it. It's the worst thing to our eyes, that we can imagine.

So, can I put you in the maybe, wait and see category? ;)

cluck
19-03-2016, 11:42

By the way, a screen so much close to the eyes : RIP to the vision. I hope you guys have a contact of a oculist, because you will need it. It's the worst thing to our eyes, that we can imagine.No, you're absolutely right, I hated my Oculus DK2 so much that I haven't used it almost every day in pCARS for 18 months :rolleyes:.

Time will tell how successful it is, but given the right software, the right implementation of VR in it and the right hardware, it has the capacity to be truly game changing. I don't care how many screens you put around yourself, how many speakers you set up, nothing - I repeat, NOTHING - comes anywhere near as close as strapping an Oculus on, with a pair of decent headphones, for absolute immersion. What will hurt VR is lazy VR implementation but that will still make the good titles stand out that bit more.

EDIT : Reading your post again, you don't work for a monitor manufacturer do you? Your post comes across as somebody who has a vested interest in a technology failing ;).

Puffpirat
19-03-2016, 12:05
Does one of you guys have an insight on when the shipments will start? Before the 28th of March to coincidence with the Oculus store opening? I ordered my Rift as a guest and can't really access any info. Got my confirmation email 8mins after the preorders opened so hope to be in an early batch :)

Bobobski
19-03-2016, 12:27
Three reasons why VR will not fail:

• It’s not a display technology it’s a natural evolution of HCI
• VR is not just about games
• It’s part of the modern western cultural psyche

Oh, and Bill Gibson predicted it ;)

Silraed
19-03-2016, 12:39
[B]

If this were true then the technology would never have gotten as far as it has, it would have been scrapped because even the slightest chance of damage to eye sight would open any company selling said product to some serious lawsuits.
The lenses in the headsets are there for a reason. They let the eye focus in a natural way.

SgtTommo
19-03-2016, 13:26
Does one of you guys have an insight on when the shipments will start? Before the 28th of March to coincidence with the Oculus store opening? I ordered my Rift as a guest and can't really access any info. Got my confirmation email 8mins after the preorders opened so hope to be in an early batch :)

Sadly nothing tangible yet. They said they would add granular shipping dates but haven't so far. Which sucks.. I can be a march or april date. I'd like to know!

RaceNut
19-03-2016, 13:27
@flybikes, . . . there have been doctors, scientists, military, etc., studying the effects of VR for some time already. Thus far, no major issues have surfaced but: moderation in all things is a wise practice.

As for the long term success of VR, time will tell but, as someone who has been using a DK2 for about 1.5 years already; I'd say VR stands a better chance of long term success than your predictions do. The real mystery is why someone with no interest or faith in VR, the industry, or the technology would come into a VR forum to post in the first place is beyond me but, freedom to do so is a great luxury indeed. Take it from an old guy; Life is short, worry less and enjoy it when & where you can.:D

John Hargreaves
19-03-2016, 15:05

You wouldn't want to make your Oculist miffed

flybikes
19-03-2016, 19:50
So, can I put you in the maybe, wait and see category? ;)

You can write my nickname and today`s date on a paper. When this helmets fail you can come to this forum and say me something. It`s so obvious that this will be a fail that it hurts.

Do you want dates? I give you some:

In the launch they will sell a few for the "geeks".

In about 6 months - The sells will stall.

In about 1,5 years, they will begin to dissapear and this is the point when you can come to this forum, to talk to me again.

in about 2 years, they will become exacly in the same situation as the kinnect and de "cinema" 3d glasses.

In 2,5/3 years the product will vanish from the market and will be forgotten.

Again, EVEN if a price was not an obstacle, this WILL fail. NO ONE, want`s to put nothing in the heads when playing or seeting Tv. The "cinema" glasses that are very normal and lightheight was very very bad for 99,8% of people... now imagine this:

They will sell it? YES... but very very few. They will try the re-launch 2 or 3 times before giving up.

The nich are VERY VERY VERY VERY small. Even the big developers don`t really believe in the product. They are "waiting" to see if they sell... they don`t want to kill money in a product with so many doubts. That`s why you only have basicly little games (like IOS games) for VR`S devices.

And this leads to other point. They will sell occulus, before the software. They not even have any type of pre installed base to sell the product... the 1 or 2 simulators and some ios games means nothing. I believe that Forza and Gran Turismo will be supporters. They will be part of the brand reactivation. I`m already counting with that. It will not be enough.

Oh, and nobody will watch full movies with this obviously. That`s a romantic way to see the product.

flybikes
19-03-2016, 19:59
The real mystery is why someone with no interest or faith in VR, the industry, or the technology would come into a VR forum to post in the first place is beyond me but, freedom to do so is a great luxury indeed. Take it from an old guy; Life is short, worry less and enjoy it when & where you can.:D

Take an advise from someone younger than you with 2 really bigs companys with hundreds of employees: Life is short, so accept the critics to grow up in a inteligent way doing the right choices.

cluck
19-03-2016, 21:50
@flybikes - what I fail to understand is what your problem with VR is. You aren't coming across as somebody who just doesn't like it, you are coming across as someone who woke up one morning and found an Oculus Rift and an HTC Vive had a threesome with your wife.

EDIT : I sort of want to apologise for the above but, at the same time, I don't. I really can't get into the mindset of somebody who has no vested interest in something posting such anger and hate towards it. It is utterly bizarre.

Ramjet
19-03-2016, 23:55

Yeah, sorry but I cannot be so diplomatic ... such gibberish is an example of the marriage of arrogance & ignorance bearing a child ... :disgust:

stupidity

RaceNut
19-03-2016, 23:57
I think he is doing his best to save us all from VR; he actually believes in what he's saying but, it's too bad he didn't do it years ago - before the industry invested billions of dollars into VR. Now it's too late . . . but, wait - it's going to fail anyway so, . . . no worries. :D I wish I had such foresight . . .

@flybikes: you should visit the Oculus forums and share your vision with the Vive fans there , they need to be saved from Room-Scale VR!:tongue-new:

Silraed
20-03-2016, 02:08
NO ONE, want`s to put nothing in the heads when playing

Your argument would seem stronger if you didn't repeatedly make this sweeping generalisation.

Carstones
20-03-2016, 09:17
@flybikes - I'd be disappointed too if I recently invested in an expensive tripple monitor setup with track-IR - but you really should try VR some day - it's actually quite amazing and it makes a great difference for all types of simulation games: race sims, flight simulation, Euro Truck Simulator even.
Not sure why you think it's a problem to put something on your head? When you go riding a motor bike or a race car in real life, you put on a helmet - do you believe race cars and bikes will fail as well?
Yes, you look silly with a VR headset on, but you also look rather silly behind 3 large monitors holding a steering wheel with no actual wheels attached. Besides: Hundreds of thousands of people own the technology and it's not even released yet. 3 major players: Valve, Facebook and Sony invest heavily in this - are they all wrong and you know better?

John Hargreaves
20-03-2016, 10:02
Perhaps when we get the CV20, and we can all actually travel back in time he can go back and get a twelve year old Palmer luckey to take up a different hobby.

Regarding looking silly, it's an odd thing. I called in to see the Vive demo at PC World in Leeds the other day (would have had a go, but the wait was too long) and the guy in the headset was a big guy, 20 stone, and he was bouncing around and giggling like a big baby. All the usual stuff you've seen on youtube videos, only real, right in front of me. Now, to see another adult behaving like that was pretty odd, as he was obviously oblivious to his surroundings. The demo he was playing was the Job sim one, where you pick things up and throw them around and it occurred to me that he was just interacting with what was to him, a whole new world, just like a baby or a toddler might, chewing stuff and throwing toys around.
So that is where we are I think; we're all just VR babies, dropped into this new environment and we have to get to understand it, yet we're not quite sure how.

cluck
20-03-2016, 10:23
Perhaps when we get the CV20, and we can all actually travel back in time he can go back and get a twelve year old Palmer luckey to take up a different hobby.

Regarding looking silly, it's an odd thing. I called in to see the Vive demo at PC World in Leeds the other day (would have had a go, but the wait was too long) and the guy in the headset was a big guy, 20 stone, and he was bouncing around and giggling like a big baby. All the usual stuff you've seen on youtube videos, only real, right in front of me. Now, to see another adult behaving like that was pretty odd, as he was obviously oblivious to his surroundings. The demo he was playing was the Job sim one, where you pick things up and throw them around and it occurred to me that he was just interacting with what was to him, a whole new world, just like a baby or a toddler might, chewing stuff and throwing toys around.
So that is where we are I think; we're all just VR babies, dropped into this new environment and we have to get to understand it, yet we're not quite sure how.Short answer of course is that he was having fun and he didn't care, as I suspect most VR owners and users will (as in, have fun and not care what they look like). It might well be a fad, with a lot of dross, but the cream will rise to the top and stuff like driving sims, flight/space-flight sims are not 'fad' markets, they have been around for decades and will still be around for decades to come. It is in those seated environments where VR can truly shine as a 'virtual reality'. That said, I loved this demo of Half Life from a while ago. Actively holding up a virtual gun and having to reload it the right way, just adds such a sense of depth to the experience, rather than clicking a mouse button

http://youtu.be/-RehCTRrWM0

EDIT : Just to add, VR is not going to replace what we already have, it is a complimentary item. Much the same way as having 3 screens can enhance your driving experience vs 1 screen. Or a better gaming wheel might provide a more realistic experience. At the end of the day, we are all gaming in the comfort of our own homes. We game to escape reality for a period of time, to remind ourselves that life isn't work-work-work. If something comes along that can give me a new and far more visceral gaming experience then damn right I'm going to buy it. Do I need it? No. Do I want it. Yes, most definitely yes.

John Hargreaves
20-03-2016, 13:41
Yeah, the guy was really having fun, like I say in a pure, joyful, baby-like way. I'm sure he wasn't fussed what he looked like, he was 100% in there, good on him. I do think these toddlerVR experiences are unlikely to be the future of VR though, it will have to be the games and experiences with more depth. As Cluck says, flying and driving sims will be perfect in VR, as they have so much more to the experience.

ShimSim
20-03-2016, 16:25
You can write my nickname and today`s date on a paper. When this helmets fail you can come to this forum and say me something. It`s so obvious that this will be a fail that it hurts.

Do you want dates? I give you some:

In the launch they will sell a few for the "geeks".

In about 6 months - The sells will stall.

In about 1,5 years, they will begin to dissapear and this is the point when you can come to this forum, to talk to me again.

in about 2 years, they will become exacly in the same situation as the kinnect and de "cinema" 3d glasses.

In 2,5/3 years the product will vanish from the market and will be forgotten.

Again, EVEN if a price was not an obstacle, this WILL fail. NO ONE, want`s to put nothing in the heads when playing or seeting Tv. The "cinema" glasses that are very normal and lightheight was very very bad for 99,8% of people... now imagine this:

They will sell it? YES... but very very few. They will try the re-launch 2 or 3 times before giving up.

The nich are VERY VERY VERY VERY small. Even the big developers don`t really believe in the product. They are "waiting" to see if they sell... they don`t want to kill money in a product with so many doubts. That`s why you only have basicly little games (like IOS games) for VR`S devices.

And this leads to other point. They will sell occulus, before the software. They not even have any type of pre installed base to sell the product... the 1 or 2 simulators and some ios games means nothing. I believe that Forza and Gran Turismo will be supporters. They will be part of the brand reactivation. I`m already counting with that. It will not be enough.

Oh, and nobody will watch full movies with this obviously. That`s a romantic way to see the product.

Simple question, have you tried any VR headsets? And if so which ones?

flybikes
21-03-2016, 02:11
Simple question, have you tried any VR headsets? And if so which ones?

Yes, I had tried de development kit v2 (DK2), bought with my own money. If I liked or not, it`s not important.

You have to understand the market. This product represents a subsegment, of a subsegment of the market. It`s one of the smallest niches you can find. This is basic marketing. On top of that, if you add all the problems: again, people don`t want to put anything on the head while playing a videogame or seeing a movie. The major critic you can find if you search about the "cinema" glasses (that are nothing really.. a small lightweight plastic), is that it was unconfortable for 99,8% of the people.

When a person do one ativity, they want to be free. They want keep it simpl They don`t want to see a movie and think "I have a thing in my head," or "I have a screen in about 6 cms of my eyes". People don`t want to complicate. You have to understand this.

As I said before, even if the product was very good (I don`t think it is, you basically only have demos of nothing with a LOT of limitations by the system), it is not enough. You can have the BEST product in the world and still not succeed.

Do I like it? Yes. It`s experience and knowledge and all the steps that they made with this right now, it will help in the future to create something else. The same thing for the kinnect, for the ps eye, all the experiences in NASA and so on.

The Sony and so on invested on VR and they should do it! It`s their area. It`s publicity. It`s a way they have to say "I`m in the vanguard of the tecnology". It`s their showreel. Think about some brands of cars. They make some supersport models that don`t give any money... but they add value to the brand.

If on top of that, they have good sales, better.

Silraed
21-03-2016, 03:48
You have to understand the market. This product represents a subsegment, of a subsegment of the market. It`s one of the smallest niches you can find. This is basic marketing. On top of that, if you add all the problems: again, people don`t want to put anything on the head while playing a videogame or seeing a movie. The major critic you can find if you search about the "cinema" glasses (that are nothing really.. a small lightweight plastic), is that it was unconfortable for 99,8% of the people.

When a person do one ativity, they want to be free. They want keep it simpl They don`t want to see a movie and think "I have a thing in my head," or "I have a screen in about 6 cms of my eyes". People don`t want to complicate. You have to understand this.

Sim racing is an incredibly niche market as well, yet wheel manufacturers seem to do all right. But that isn't a very stable comparison I admit.

You also keep speaking for large groups of people with your arguments. It is not a good way to base an argument because you have no way of actually showing that what you say is true. Most people have never even tried a VR headset so right there is a flaw in the "nobody wants it." "nobody likes it." comments.

kidcurry
21-03-2016, 04:18
I have DK2 and I have to say I really cannot go back to using triple monitors. I am one of the lucky ones who can use it right out of the box with no adjustments and can use it for hours with no ill affects at all. I love it when I spin the car, such a rush. The level of reality is like 100% for me compared to using a screen. I have 2 of the Release product on order as well as the Steam VR. Everyone that I have to the house gets a go. Many do seem to have ill affects. Funny some get ill just watching on triple monitors. This is the future of gaming, in my opinion. I have custom motion system and it is so awesome with the DK2.

flybikes
21-03-2016, 05:20
Sim racing is an incredibly niche market as well, yet wheel manufacturers seem to do all right. But that isn't a very stable comparison I admit.

You also keep speaking for large groups of people with your arguments. It is not a good way to base an argument because you have no way of actually showing that what you say is true. Most people have never even tried a VR headset so right there is a flaw in the "nobody wants it." "nobody likes it." comments.

You have a very strongs signs that VR like you know it today, will not have sucess. It`s in your face and you don`t see it.

When I talk about "nobody", I`m talking about the mass population. You and me that like to drive in Project Cars are nothing. The Oculus Rift (talking about that brand), don`t have any base, to become a successful product.

That don`t change the fact, that you and me can enjoy driving with VR devices. I keep watching "3D movies" when I find something new.

SgtTommo
21-03-2016, 07:08
You have a very strongs signs that VR like you know it today, will not have sucess. It`s in your face and you don`t see it.

When I talk about "nobody", I`m talking about the mass population. You and me that like to drive in Project Cars are nothing. The Oculus Rift (talking about that brand), don`t have any base, to become a successful product.

That don`t change the fact, that you and me can enjoy driving with VR devices. I keep watching "3D movies" when I find something new.

Playseats and Race-wheels will all be gone in 2 years, mark my words. It's a subsegment of a subsegment, basic marketing.. oh wait.. It won't.

VR has a solid base to stay and it's even getting people like me back into racing-sims (alongside a few friends). I remember the telephone way back when, such a fad, will never last.

Just to throw a quote in from someone on NeoGAF

One of the scariest experiences I've had was playing Assetto Corsa in VR with my Logitech G27, driving an old open wheel Lotus. Probably one of the tensest and most white knuckle things I've done. Those old racing cars could go almost as fast as our current ones, but without all the safety features. So you accelerate a bit too much... you lose control. You turn a bit too much... you lose control. You break a bit too much... yep... you lose control.

And when you lose control the car goes spinning into a barrier at well over 100 mph and your subconscious mind is going 'oh shit we're going to get injured or killed' no matter what your conscious mind knows.

It's amazing. Racing simulators have never done it for me in the past. I love your Forza Horizons, and your PGR4s and other similarly or more arcadey racing games, but the accurate realistic games, I just didn't see the draw.

VR made me buy an expensive racing wheel and I've not regretted it once. Dirt Rally and Assetto Corsa are incredible (hopefully it won't be long before both have CV1 support). The sense of speed, and the sense of danger in both is unmatched by anything else I've experienced in a racing game. That cliff on the edge of that hairpin bend on a lose gravel surface when you're playing Dirt Rally and trying to drift the car around it, when you experience it, you'll get it.

kidcurry
21-03-2016, 14:38
Agree, vr takes sims to whole new level. 20 more years and we will have the matrix.

cluck
21-03-2016, 14:47
The thing for me is that it has undoubtedly made me a better driver. Not just quicker, but better overall. The ability to glance left and right to see your opponents on the race track is something so natural that you do it before you realise you're doing it.

The one area where you are at an active disadvantage, however, is when the sun is low on the horizon. On a traditional monitor you can at least shield your eyes to some extent. There's no ability to do that (yet) with the first wave of devices. But one day, I hope we will be able to emulate this (skip to 3m24 for the bit I mean, but then watch the whole thing anyway :D)

http://youtu.be/UEuZG37gFdM

RaceNut
21-03-2016, 17:55
Yeah, I've certainly had moments where I reached for my sunglasses in Pcars only to realize that was not going to work well.:)

ctd
21-03-2016, 18:52
There is room for sunglasses inside your Rift Cluck. :cool:

Joe Moore
21-03-2016, 19:02
I have tried sunglasses and they do work :)

kidcurry
21-03-2016, 20:20
My lap times are i second a lap faster at least with dk2, and that is with fuzzy graphics. The next few years should be great when we get to 4k.

Ramjet
21-03-2016, 23:24
LoL :cool: You guys reminded me of this, I also once put my hand up to shield the sunlight from my eyes while wearing the Rift, classic moment of feeling totally stupid but also awesome to have been sunk so much into the immersion :frog:

And Flybike your argument that VR will fail is a classic example of how just a little bit of factual information can be misconstrued to form utterly ridiculous conclusions... much yet to learn has this young Padwan ! :highly_amused:

flybikes
22-03-2016, 05:59
LoL :cool: You guys reminded me of this, I also once put my hand up to shield the sunlight from my eyes while wearing the Rift, classic moment of feeling totally stupid but also awesome to have been sunk so much into the immersion :frog:

And Flybike your argument that VR will fail is a classic example of how just a little bit of factual information can be misconstrued to form utterly ridiculous conclusions... much yet to learn has this young Padwan ! :highly_amused:

Wait and you will see. Enjoy while it last.

RaceNut
22-03-2016, 14:40
Wait and you will see. Enjoy while it last.

Of course, one can say that "one day, our world will end" (however you interpret that). You would be 100% correct, eventually; so you have 100% chance of being proven right.
So let's just end this discussion here and now and state: "You Are 100% Right flybikes!".

Now may we please continue to wallow in our delusional VR tendencies in peace?

Thank You! :)

Carstones
23-03-2016, 00:00
I agree. Flybikes is right. Noone wants to put games on their heads. Period.

Ramjet
23-03-2016, 00:47
Good Grief ... this thread has become a meeting place for Knuckle-Heads Incorporated :stupid:

On a brighter note ~ release day feels sooo close now ... much anticipation :biggrin-new:

RaceNut
23-03-2016, 00:50
I agree. Flybikes is right. Noone wants to put games on their heads. Period.

I think you misunderstand; of course we don't want to put the game on our heads, . . . we want to put our heads in the game. That's the whole point. :)

RaceNut
23-03-2016, 00:56
Good Grief ... this thread has become a meeting place for Knuckle-Heads Incorporated :stupid:

On a brighter note ~ release day feels sooo close now ... much anticipation :biggrin-new:
Yep, it won't be long now before the reports begin to roll in. The KS backer CV1's have started shipping already. I won't have mine until mid to late May but, I'll enjoy the ride until then by learning more about HMD comparisons.

I heard AMD is working with a company that has a working 4k VR display prototype; of course, GPU's are going to have to make quite a leap to keep up.

peregrine7
23-03-2016, 02:13

Leap Orion is supported in FSX + Flyinside now (full handtracking no gloves or anything). Could be handy in PCars!

snakehands
23-03-2016, 05:35

I too worry that VR won't have long lasting mass appeal. Even in the iRacing forum, the reception was lukewarm to say the least. But it's all about content, and there maybe some in the pipeline that really hooks the general population. Probably porn related.

Anyway, my mind was blown by the DK1, then the DK2 and especially by project cars.

Silraed
23-03-2016, 06:03
Even in the iRacing forum, the reception was lukewarm to say the least.

From what I have seen, communities like iRacing have had lukewarm reactions because large parts of these communities already have significant investments in other forms of displays, expensive triple screen setups being the main one.
It is like some iRacing fans will not even give another sim a chance and discredit it right of the bat simply because they feel the need to justify their investment in iRacing.

A lot more people disregard VR because of the perceived limitations the current headsets have, but the technology will evolve and improve over time.

snakehands
23-03-2016, 06:27
From what I have seen, communities like iRacing have had lukewarm reactions because large parts of these communities already have significant investments in other forms of displays, expensive triple screen setups being the main one.
It is like some iRacing fans will not even give another sim a chance and discredit it right of the bat simply because they feel the need to justify their investment in iRacing.

A lot more people disregard VR because of the perceived limitations the current headsets have, but the technology will evolve and improve over time.

Ah yes, the iRacing triple cripples and their hatred of anything not 2D. Let's just hope it all takes off. Can you imagine where we'll be in 5 or 10-years time if it does? Exciting times, unless you're triple crippled Luddite of course.

Fendar
23-03-2016, 10:57
Hi guys!

I will be very interested on what hardware platforms can do what performance (FPS, CPU-Load, GPU-Load) with the CV-Version.
So let your experience out, when get your VR.

I'm saying this only, because I'm planing on upgrading my pc, so it can properly utilize a VR-System properly.
But I can wait - no worries - just waiting for you guys (that already ordered) tell you experiences.

Joe Moore
23-03-2016, 17:42
Nice to see eye tracking will be part of VR future and is not to far away , I'm sure the rift and all Vr headset will go this root in time .

http://youtu.be/F-R7B_0ndQY

VR is here for good :)

Joe Moore
23-03-2016, 20:35
This should help those who is thinking of rebuilding or building their PC for virtual reality.
Really good information here .

http://youtu.be/qQrXlfn7tJA

r0b1n
23-03-2016, 21:27
Yes. I too am curious about two things.
1 - Whether shadows will be enabled on the official VR version. If they're not it's a cheeky move to show the 'vr mockup' promo videos WITH shadows
2 - Whether they will offer a discount/migration to people who have already bought the game. The fact they have indicated that all current DLC will be included in the VR version might suggest they are trying to soften the blow (of people having to buy again)

I'm a long time DK2 user who eventually shelved Pcars because of inconsistent performance so really looking forward to playing again on CV1 (mine should be arriving in the first batch after the Kickstarter backers).

BigDad
24-03-2016, 13:33
Merge

MaximusN
24-03-2016, 13:45
Yes. I too am curious about two things.
1 - Whether shadows will be enabled on the official VR version. If they're not it's a cheeky move to show the 'vr mockup' promo videos WITH shadows
2 - Whether they will offer a discount/migration to people who have already bought the game. The fact they have indicated that all current DLC will be included in the VR version might suggest they are trying to soften the blow (of people having to buy again)

I'm a long time DK2 user who eventually shelved Pcars because of inconsistent performance so really looking forward to playing again on CV1 (mine should be arriving in the first batch after the Kickstarter backers).

And an addition to 1) : If those same shadows will be finally fixed for 3dVision(after 3 years or so ;) )

Sankyo
24-03-2016, 14:03
Merge
Gesundheit.

Puffpirat
24-03-2016, 16:47
Well flybikes says VR will fail, I guess the porn industry thinks otherwise :p

Feel free to delete the video if you think it's inappropriate, it's not explicit though, just funny ;)

snakehands
25-03-2016, 05:24
Well flybikes says VR will fail, I guess the porn industry thinks otherwise :p

Feel free to delete the video if you think it's inappropriate, it's not explicit though, just funny ;)

Does flybikes own triples by any chance?

John Hargreaves
25-03-2016, 16:38
Interesting post from Steven V over on the official Oculus forums:

"Regarding migrating from the Steam version to the Oculus Store version - We're busy working out the final details with NAMCO (they're the publisher so the final call is theirs). We don't know yet how exactly it will work, keeping in mind that the Oculus Store version will include all DLC released so far, but I'm pushing from our end to not expect you to buy the full game again. There may be a requirement that you need to upgrade to the GOTY (or base plus all DLC) on Steam first (so only paying for what you don't already own). We will make an announcement as soon as we have a final decision from the publisher. "

Posts are from today (March 25), near the bottom.
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/28324/project-cars-is-the-best-vr-racing-game-feature-it-for-cv1/p2

From what Steven says, pCars is working pretty well with the CV1.

Joe Moore
25-03-2016, 17:20
Good interview with Andy Tudor and Stephen Viljoen about VR ----podcast :)
Very enjoyable to listen to .
http://www.roadtovr.com/creating-authentic-racing-simulation-project-cars/?utm_source=Road+to+VR+Daily+News+Roundup&utm_campaign=5e83bbd4dd-RtoVR_RSS_Daily_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e2e394ad33-5e83bbd4dd-168131637

John Hargreaves
25-03-2016, 18:38
"Setting foot on the shores of a new continent of discovery and possibilities"

Steven Viljoen, March 2016.

Nice

Baj
26-03-2016, 18:13
So everyone that has bought pcars, had a dk2 and helped test the the game will have to wait for the steam version to be updated or they will have to purchase oculus version of the game. I hope the steam version gets an update before a receive my cv1 otherwise I will be very disappointed :(

cornishbrooksy
26-03-2016, 22:24
So everyone that has bought pcars, had a dk2 and helped test the the game will have to wait for the steam version to be updated or they will have to purchase oculus version of the game. I hope the steam version gets an update before a receive my cv1 otherwise I will be very disappointed :(

Devs already confirmed (cant remember if on FB or IG) that the steam version of the game will be fully updated and no re-purchase is required.

Expect some more news on this on release day.

Aritz
27-03-2016, 07:39
Devs already confirmed (cant remember if on FB or IG) that the steam version of the game will be fully updated and no re-purchase is required.

http://www.projectcarsgame.com/home/project-cars-launching-day-one-on-oculus-rift

In the other hand, I don't like that much this:

I hope my upcoming HTC VIVE will be supported :(

Puffpirat
27-03-2016, 09:32
Well they said "just yet", that's not a complete no :) On the other hand pCARS was the reason I opted for the Rift instead of the Vive in the first place.

On another note yesterday Palmer Luckey himself delivered the first pre-order rift to a luck(e)y customer ;) in alaska, in hawaii shirt and flip-flops haha

The Kickstarter rifts are already shipping. Here's hope that pre-order rifts start shipping after easter :)

Monsthor
27-03-2016, 10:28
So he got a rift, hand-delivered, will it work with 0.8.0.0..? ;) Looking forward to tomorrow

Puffpirat
27-03-2016, 10:33
He didn't even have a PC capable of running the rift at his place, or more like his office where it got delivered :rolleyes: For being such a "historic moment" it was pretty anticlimatic.

They couldn't have chosen a worse weekend, since it's easter and nothing will happen really till tuesday.

Monsthor
27-03-2016, 10:59
"We will be updating the Steam version so that you'll be able to play it properly on your CV1 Rift as well, it's just going to take a little time because all our focus has been on getting it ready and working on Oculus Home..."

Steven Viljoen, March 2016

Not so nice

Edit: Bought it on Steam for VR. Can't play it on Steam, because of VR...

crowtrobot
27-03-2016, 13:04
"We will be updating the Steam version so that you'll be able to play it properly on your CV1 Rift as well, it's just going to take a little time because all our focus has been on getting it ready and working on Oculus Home..."

Steven Viljoen, March 2016

Not so nice

Edit: Bought it on Steam for VR. Can't play it on Steam, because of VR...
So it kind of sounds like the only people that will be able to get the updated Oculus support on release day will be those that are buying pCARS for the first time on Oculus Home, or people re-buying on Home? Not so nice indeed. If that's the case, I can't imagine it will be too long for the Steam version to update, it doesn't make sense from a logistics standpoint to have multiple code branches out at the same time for a game that is still being supported.

Baj
27-03-2016, 15:16

Yes I read that it will be updated for all users but what I'm saying is the people who already have the game and have helped test it have to wait longer than the people who are new to the game and rift experience.

Baj
27-03-2016, 15:21
Yes, us mugs that bought the game for the dk2, helped test the game with VR will have to pay for the game again or wait until they decide to update the steam version.
It seams like pcars and oculus just don't care about the people who helped get them to where they are. It's all about new customers.