PDA

View Full Version : Formula Renault 3.5 AI

Blunt RS
07-01-2016, 19:14
I searched but couldn't see any threads. Sorry if its been posted before.
Hockenheim GP they struggle to make turn 1 without a pile up and to get around the track. It looks like their their cutting the track and bouncing of the sausage kerbs.
On Donington Park GP they don't seem to be cutting corners or have problems getting around the track.

Mauler_77
07-01-2016, 20:36
I searched but couldn't see any threads. Sorry if its been posted before.
Hockenheim GP they struggle to make turn 1 without a pile up and to get around the track. It looks like their their cutting the track and bouncing of the sausage kerbs.
On Donington Park GP they don't seem to be cutting corners or have problems getting around the track.

There's a few tracks where curbs make them fly. Turn 1 at Oulton is another classic. The certainly seem a bit unstable compared to other cars, having said that, I find them better to drive against than the other open-wheeler AI. A bit less suicidal.

cconti
14-02-2016, 00:38
I just attempted a race at the Chinese Track (forgot the name. IRL is Zuahi I think) it was 90% great fun but the 10% of frustration was too much for me. I dialed in a 25 lap race, but I could barely finish 10 in frustration.

1) Lap 1 4 cars in front of me cut T2 (or T3 if you count T1 as 2 turns) basically straightening the track. No reason whatever for it as they had good distance between them. All 4 wheels on the grass.

2) Cars behind hit me as if we were racing the MX5 cup. IRL that would end up with every car having a broken nose cone and mine probably out of order as well.

3) T5 almost every lap more than half the cars go full on the grass at the exit. I was able to gain 5 positions because of that on the first lap, but I kept seeing groups of cars or individual ones doing the same thing over and over. Even from a distance I could see them plowing the fields.

4) I cannot even count how many passes I got where the car behind me just flat out got on the grass and cut for the pass.

I know AI is not easy to program, but this has been an issue with pCARS since the very beginning. I am talking about when the program started before it went public. I simply do not understand if the developers do not play their own game or they think this behavior is OK.

I understand the occasional pass on the grass if the AI is blocked because I am going to slow, but I always dial the game so that in practice I have a lap time that puts me around P5 or so. I found that to be a good average so that if I start from the back or the middle I have a chance to race for the podium at 92 to 98% depending on the class/track.

I forgot to add the peach of the race. Once again in T2 with a car beside me and my car on the inside, the AI went for the same Apex as I did and banged my wheels. Resulting in a bent steering. While that can happen, it is way to frequent when racing ope wheels in this game. Clearly Open Wheels and Tin Top share the exact same AI which is tuned toward collision rather than the other way.

I like the way pCARS drives, the graphics and even the physics, most of the time (a bit too much snap oversteer but almost all games have that). But the AI is what keeps me from using this game more. The other games AI is not perfect and has many of the same issues, but they are magnified in pCARS. Unfortunately, due to my time zone and my own schedule joining a league is not practical right now. It's really a shame. The AI is the #1 issue I would like to see addressed, especially on open wheelers.