PDA

View Full Version : Query about game save times on xbox one

Robhd
08-01-2016, 12:45
Can i just ask why saving almost anything seems to take ages.. At least on the xbox one if not on the other platforms?

Carrer saves seem to take ages.. A couple of minutes usually and even more annoying is the save times when you go into configure wheel settings... Even if you alter none of your previous wheel settings or calibration, when you press the B button to exit the game saves and it seems to take forever.. Almost like having a Spectrum again...lol!

Can anything be done to speed up the saves as it really is go away and make a cuppa or sit there and lose the will to live?

... Not much of a gripe really!

Ta muchly

Rob

z3r0cool77
08-01-2016, 15:41
Until recently I had a lot of save issues with Pcars as well. Ultimately my xbox had a long freeze trying to save in a certain other racing game and then refused to reboot. Every attempt at restarting the console ended up sitting at a partially loaded home screen for 20 seconds or so then it would shut itself down and try to reset. Over and over and over again. (holding power to reset cache was done frequently as well and I typically kept the console in power save mode so it shuts down completely)

I thought my console was bricked till I found out how to boot the console off of a USB drive with files downloaded from microsoft and reset the console to factory defaults with a fresh OS. This also means everything on the console was deleted but it was worth it. Since the reset everything on my console is running a lot smoother including Pcars. I've only had one hickup when saving settings caused a delay and that can probably be attributed to xbox live. In fact, I only tend to keep 3-4 games installed that I play regularly anyway so I may start doing a fresh reset on my console every few months.

http://www.gadgethelpline.com/how-to-fix-xbox-one-green-screen-of-death/

Page with instructions on USB console reset. Oddly I can't find the same instruction on the actual xbox support pages. They list a similar process but it involves a system diagnostic tool and a lot more hassle. The file used however does come directly from MS. Just remember to unzip the file onto the usb, root folder and all. The page I linked doesn't mention doing so.

beetes_juice
08-01-2016, 16:08
This was getting bad on the xb1 (ever since the new dash update). I'll jump back to the main menu where it trips off a save, hop into a practice session and go out on track, the save icon is still blinking about 45 seconds into my out lap. I do the same thing to turn off the game and would have to wait 3-5 minutes for the save to complete before shutting the game down. Also, happens a lot in career; simulating a practice session to enter qualifying session would take 2-3 minutes of saving.

One thing to take a look at is your saved replays + screenshots. 99% sure they are included in your save. If you have a lot of screenshots and replays this can cause the save to take forever. Also, not confirmed to help saves, but may help to power cycle your xbox prior to playing pcars. Smoother experience.

Little tip with the configure wheel setting save wait:
Enter options and make all your wheel/game changes. When your done, don't back out with the B button. Think its the select button on the controller but bring up the menu that shows Game Options, Driver Network, Garage and click on Game options again. Should bring you to the main game options page. Back out from there. (Hope that makes sense) Also, if you get stuck in those menus due to saving hitting the xbox home button and entering back into the game can fix the freeze.

Serious accomplishment this game is running on both pc + consoles but in the end the consoles are on the limit. Had a blast in my 600+ hours on the xb1 version but does not compare to the overall experience/smoothness of the pc version.

m.2 SSD W10/pcars install.....20-25 seconds from cold boot W10 to exiting the pits @ spa in a 98T is lovely :o

Dan77 DESTROYER
08-01-2016, 16:43
Serious accomplishment this game is running on both pc + consoles but in the end the consoles are on the limit. Had a blast in my 600+ hours on the xb1 version but does not compare to the overall experience/smoothness of the pc version.

m.2 SSD W10/pcars install.....20-25 seconds from cold boot W10 to exiting the pits @ spa in a 98T is lovely :o

I agree this game definatly pushes the console to its limit, I've added pc fans to mine just to keep it running cool when running project cars for the evening or it chucks out some serious heat and starts mucking about.

I'd love to see/play it on a pc, been thinking about getting a pc just for this game plus other racing sims but it's a big layout money wise and I'm a complete noob when it comes to gaming pc's so don't know what I am looking at/for really.
The experience sounds a lot better than on xbone.

kevin kirk
08-01-2016, 16:43
Allways press the back button, the button that use to be the start button on controller, to exit out of menus or any screen that will auto save. There is no wait and back out instantly when you do it that way.

kevin kirk
08-01-2016, 16:48
I think it has 3 lines for the buttons icon identifying it

beetes_juice
08-01-2016, 18:14
I agree this game definatly pushes the console to its limit, I've added pc fans to mine just to keep it running cool when running project cars for the evening or it chucks out some serious heat and starts mucking about.

I'd love to see/play it on a pc, been thinking about getting a pc just for this game plus other racing sims but it's a big layout money wise and I'm a complete noob when it comes to gaming pc's so don't know what I am looking at/for really.
The experience sounds a lot better than on xbone.

Actually bought a Antec intercooler a week after pcars launched. Could be in the coo coo's nest but I swear that thing saved me from all the headaches you read about on here in xb1 forum.

Not to get even more OT but best decision I made last year was to build a dedicated gaming pc (Nov-Dec 15). Just finished it up over the holiday and all I can say is WOW. Build was north of $2000 but 100% worth it in my eyes. (Well now need to add $600 as I preordered the Rift for April :D) Can see this becoming a very nice hobby.

A lot to take in at first but once starting research and whatnot its not to complicated. pcpartpicker.com is a nice place to start just to browse and possibly plan ahead. Great part of that site is it has and uses a compatibility filter so if you add the wrong hardware to the build it will throw an error for people just entering the pc world.

Haven't even played pcars so much on my pc as of yet. Currently, time is spent staring into awe at the graphics of this game called The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Its absurd how good visuals/scenery can be on a machine thats not limited by static hardware (consoles)

Ixoye56
09-01-2016, 23:32
Allways press the back button, the button that use to be the start button on controller, to exit out of menus or any screen that will auto save. There is no wait and back out instantly when you do it that way.

I do the same, quick and easy workaround.

nissan4ever
10-01-2016, 03:18
Are the ones having long save time. Does your console use internal or external hdd? Mine is external & I don't have long save times. Anywhere from half a second, up to 3 seconds basically.

I always use the B Button when I exit various screens in the game.

kevin kirk
10-01-2016, 05:31
I do the same, quick and easy workaround.....well its not exactly a work around, that is the back button.Thats its name. Don't have a start button anymore.

Robhd
10-01-2016, 09:18
Are the ones having long save time. Does your console use internal or external hdd? Mine is external & I don't have long save times. Anywhere from half a second, up to 3 seconds basically.

I always use the B Button when I exit various screens in the game.

I am at the moment just using the internal hard drive.

I am using the thrustmaster tx wheel so am not sure which button on this equates to the controller 'start' button that was mentioned? Pressing the B button to exit is what i am currently doing.

Dan77 DESTROYER
10-01-2016, 10:26

I am using the thrustmaster tx wheel so am not sure which button on this equates to the controller 'start' button that was mentioned? Pressing the B button to exit is what i am currently doing.

It's the little round button underneath the A button

Robhd
10-01-2016, 10:41
Thank you... Will give that a go.

Thanks for the help folks.

nissan4ever
10-01-2016, 12:47

Your console got 500gb internal hdd? If so, it's the terrible/slow hdd. The new 1tb consoles released before the holidays last year have up to 20% faster internal solid state hdd.

wilabidd
10-01-2016, 19:16
I had the same problem with loaded time, saving and to be fare it was the only problem I had with Pcars. Like you I was losing the will to live (even play Pcars), so I bit the bullet unstalled Pcars from by internal HD and installed it on my external HD. Magic the loading and save times are now instant...... BUT and this is were the magic disappears cause I now have a few of bugs, basically I was one of the lucky ones who was not effect by bugs (apart from slow save) now I have a few bug that I didn't see before. So if you can live it, I would hold off.....

kevin kirk
10-01-2016, 22:01
To be fair its not really a slow saving bug if your backing out of screens the wrong way by pushing the wrong button. The B button is not the correct button to back out of screens anymore.

nissan4ever
10-01-2016, 22:31
To be fair its not really a slow saving bug if your backing out of screens the wrong way by pushing the wrong button. The B button is not the correct button to back out of screens anymore.

I only use the B Button & I don't encounter no long save issues. I've used the B Button to back out on a whole bunch of games for years.

kevin kirk
10-01-2016, 22:57
I only use the B Button & I don't encounter no long save issues. I've used the B Button to back out on a whole bunch of games for years.

.....im sure you have even though the new controllers hasn't been out for years for you to have used it on a whole bunch of games for years. I'm just saying the back button on the new xbox controller is the button that used to be the start button. I mean the name of the button now is BACK,its got a different icon and everything. The configuration has it label the back button. I don't know a easier way to explain it to you.

nissan4ever
10-01-2016, 23:21
Even with the Xbox One controller I use B Button to back out of stuff. The 2 buttons you're referring to on the Xbox One controller are called View (old back button) & Menu (old start button). Regardless if I'm using my TX or controller, B Button is what I use to back out of menus/screens on my games, no problem. I've used the B Button on Xbox consoles since the original Xbox to back out of menus/screens.

kevin kirk
11-01-2016, 05:10
dam, egg on my face.I thought it was called the back button. Its the menu button. It just gives you the choice of menu pages. Sorry about that

nissan4ever
11-01-2016, 07:09
dam, egg on my face.

LOL, all good