PDA

View Full Version : Seriously?!? What the heck is going on?

biggbaddwolf
08-01-2016, 17:24
Did a solo race at Ruapuna Park Outer Loop, 25 laps, weather random, 16 cars in the field, including mine. Using the Ariel Atom 500 V8, AI set at 40. I was in the lead, and starting to pass the slowest cars on the track, but on the 7th lap for some reason it put me back in last place..WTH!! The first time I just thought something went haywire, so I restarted the race, and sure enough on the seventh lap I got put back in last place..this is crazy, and IMO pretty much unacceptable!!:mad:

Umer Ahmad
08-01-2016, 17:26
You mean your car got teleported/airlifted and placed behind the guy in last place?

Or the position counter was simply reporting your position incorrectly?

RomKnight
08-01-2016, 17:29
When you're lapping someone it is common that you seem out of order untill the guys in front (but still backmarkers) also end their laps. I'm not sure if you need to pass the finish line again ATM though...

biggbaddwolf
08-01-2016, 18:50
Ok, ran it again, and yes I was getting teleported back into last place, but I happened to notice that if I got off the track just enough to get a "cut track" penalty, then when I crossed the start/finish line that is when it would put me back into last place!!!! So I got to just goofing around, and getting cut track penalties on purpose, and each time it would put me farther behind the last place car!!:mad: I am beginning to believe people now when they say this game is B-R-O-K-E-N, and as much as I loved this game, and have BOUGHT every damn paid car pack etc, I will NOT spend any more money on this game!!!

crowtrobot
08-01-2016, 19:16
Related question to OP: In Quick Race Mode I ran a longer, Multi Class race last night on Catalunya and got lapped by the higher classes. My race ended a lap early when I hit the S/F, is that expected behavior? To be clear, the higher class cars had done 10 laps, I was approaching the S/F on lap 9/10 and when I crossed the line, the race was over, rather than me having to finish the 10th lap.

Is that right?

Tomcul
08-01-2016, 19:28
Turn the ai up a bit higher than 40 for a start least then you won't be catching back markers..

biggbaddwolf
08-01-2016, 19:47
Related question to OP: In Quick Race Mode I ran a longer, Multi Class race last night on Catalunya and got lapped by the higher classes. My race ended a lap early when I hit the S/F, is that expected behavior? To be clear, the higher class cars had done 10 laps, I was approaching the S/F on lap 9/10 and when I crossed the line, the race was over, rather than me having to finish the 10th lap.

Is that right?
Yes I think that is normal, maybe some others know for sure.

biggbaddwolf
08-01-2016, 19:48
Turn the ai up a bit higher than 40 for a start least then you won't be catching back markers..

It has nothing to do with lapping slower traffic...:rolleyes:

bradleyland
08-01-2016, 20:19
Did a solo race at Ruapuna Park Outer Loop, 25 laps, weather random, 16 cars in the field, including mine. Using the Ariel Atom 500 V8, AI set at 40. I was in the lead, and starting to pass the slowest cars on the track, but on the 7th lap for some reason it put me back in last place..WTH!! The first time I just thought something went haywire, so I restarted the race, and sure enough on the seventh lap I got put back in last place..this is crazy, and IMO pretty much unacceptable!!:mad:

Hrm, is this happening to you every time? I'm on PS4, so I set up the same race as you, and my rank was maintained correctly to 12 laps two times in a row. I passed traffic starting on lap 7 and everything just moved along normally as I kept turning laps. I used "Same Class" and "Identical" for the AI cars. I can't think of anything else to test. If it's not happening every time, it might have just been a fluke.

The Atom 500 V8 is a nightmare on that track in the rain btw :D lol

crowtrobot
08-01-2016, 20:21
Hrm, is this happening to you every time? I'm on PS4, so I set up the same race as you, and my rank was maintained correctly to 12 laps two times in a row. I passed traffic starting on lap 7 and everything just moved along normally as I kept turning laps. I used "Same Class" and "Identical" for the AI cars. I can't think of anything else to test. If it's not happening every time, it might have just been a fluke.

I wasn't passing traffic, I was lapped by LMP1s.

bradleyland
08-01-2016, 20:22

Is that right?

Yeah, that's expected behavior. Rank is established by # of laps, then time.

bradleyland
08-01-2016, 20:24
I wasn't passing traffic, I was lapped by LMP1s.

Sorry, I was replying to the OP. Your question is unrelated to what the OP is talking about. His rank is being reset to last place, before the race is event finished.

biggbaddwolf
08-01-2016, 20:27

Did you try running off the track on purpose just to get a cut track penalty, if so did it put you at the back of the pack when you crossed the s/f line?

biggbaddwolf
08-01-2016, 20:28
Did you try running off the track on purpose just to get a cut track penalty, if so did it put you at the back of the pack when you crossed the s/f line?
I even tried the Mugen, and it did the same thing!

Invincible
08-01-2016, 20:31
I had a similar issue once too. In the Kart carerr, my second lap in a race didn't count, so I was placed last suddenly. But I've only had this once and restarting the race fixed it for me. I would like to know if anyone besides biggbaddwolf coult replicate this strange issue on PS4? If so, it should be forwarded to the devs as a clear bug report. I tried to replicate it on PC, but it didn't happen for me. Everything went fine.

biggbaddwolf
08-01-2016, 20:45
I had a similar issue once too. In the Kart carerr, my second lap in a race didn't count, so I was placed last suddenly. But I've only had this once and restarting the race fixed it for me. I would like to know if anyone besides biggbaddwolf coult replicate this strange issue on PS4? If so, it should be forwarded to the devs as a clear bug report. I tried to replicate it on PC, but it didn't happen for me. Everything went fine.
Everything was fine as long as I stayed on the track, but I accidentally got into the grass enough to get a cut track penalty, and that is when it happens...I guess I need to learn to stay on the track...LOL

Invincible
08-01-2016, 21:01
Being ported to last place is a bit harsh as a penalty for going off track, isn't it? :p

biggbaddwolf
08-01-2016, 21:20
Being ported to last place is a bit harsh as a penalty for going off track, isn't it? :p

Yes it is, and each time you do it, it even puts you farther back, or at least it did me. Maybe I am the only one experiencing this problem :confused:

biggbaddwolf
08-01-2016, 21:50
Just what little I have tested Ruapuna seems to be the only track that does it...

bradleyland
08-01-2016, 22:14

Just between you and me, I did more than run off the grass lol. You know the S-curve about half way through a lap? I cut that sucker entirely. I must be doing something wrong. Do you have to lap traffic before you cut the track?

biggbaddwolf
08-01-2016, 22:28
No, you can do it on the first lap, and it will put you all the way back. Maybe I will try to get some video..

RomKnight
08-01-2016, 22:30
All Ruapuna layouts?

bradleyland
08-01-2016, 22:34
I got it to do it! It took several tries, but I just got punted to P13 from P1. I'll upload a video clip shortly.

cmch15
08-01-2016, 23:24
Did either of you complete the race to see where it placed you at the end? I did a 40lap invitational at Ruapuna GP last weekend, in Lmp900. If I remember correctly I was 9th and a lap down. When I looked at the position it was displaying as 12th. However when it came to the results screen and awarding the points it showed me back in 9th.

I think I saved the video, if I still have it I'll post it when I get a chance.

bradleyland
08-01-2016, 23:28
Ok, here's the clip, along with screenshots of the session setup. Fair warning, the audio is really loud in the clip!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bv3dhplz4eb8u1q/AADu_2EhdYKLjDAHSzpnQ6X7a?dl=0

I see what's happening. When you cut the track, the game isn't counting your lap. So for example, if you're on lap 10, when you cross the start/finish line, you stay on lap 10. This causes the game to re-rank you. As mentioned before, your rank is # of laps, then elapsed time. So because you get stuck on lap 10, you get knocked back to where ever you'd have been if you lost a single lap.

FWIW, I had to screw around a lot to get this to work. As you can see by the leaderboard, I didn't have a single clean lap lol. I was driving all over the place, ramming in to people, just generally driving like a knob in order to try and get this to work. Fortunately, this happened on an otherwise clean-ish lap, so you can tell it definitely is triggered by cutting the track; in this case, egregiously!

bradleyland
08-01-2016, 23:30
Did either of you complete the race to see where it placed you at the end? I did a 40lap invitational at Ruapuna GP last weekend, in Lmp900. If I remember correctly I was 9th and a lap down. When I looked at the position it was displaying as 12th. However when it came to the results screen and awarding the points it showed me back in 9th.

I didn't. I wanted to get the clip, so I quit immediately so the entire race would be in the PS4 video buffer (it only keeps 15 minutes).

Umer Ahmad
08-01-2016, 23:44
reported (linked this thread) to developers for further investigation.

Goresh
09-01-2016, 00:00
Based on the above video it sure looks like penalty for cutting the track.

biggbaddwolf
09-01-2016, 00:11

Yes I finished the race...dead last :p

biggbaddwolf
09-01-2016, 00:13

Sometimes you get a quarter of a tire in the grass, and you get the cut track penalty, but it has never booted me back to last place, you just don't get a time for the lap!!:mad:

biggbaddwolf
09-01-2016, 00:14
I have even got a cut track penalty for running up on the rumble strip before...Seems a little too touchy to me, but that is just my opinion.

biggbaddwolf
09-01-2016, 00:19
Ok, here's the clip, along with screenshots of the session setup. Fair warning, the audio is really loud in the clip!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bv3dhplz4eb8u1q/AADu_2EhdYKLjDAHSzpnQ6X7a?dl=0

I see what's happening. When you cut the track, the game isn't counting your lap. So for example, if you're on lap 10, when you cross the start/finish line, you stay on lap 10. This causes the game to re-rank you. As mentioned before, your rank is # of laps, then elapsed time. So because you get stuck on lap 10, you get knocked back to where ever you'd have been if you lost a single lap.

FWIW, I had to screw around a lot to get this to work. As you can see by the leaderboard, I didn't have a single clean lap lol. I was driving all over the place, ramming in to people, just generally driving like a knob in order to try and get this to work. Fortunately, this happened on an otherwise clean-ish lap, so you can tell it definitely is triggered by cutting the track; in this case, egregiously!
Yeah that was cutting across country..LOL It was happening to me if I just got out in the grass a little bit!

nissan4ever
09-01-2016, 00:29
I guess I need to learn to stay on the track...LOL

Yes ;)

bradleyland
09-01-2016, 01:30

The penalty for track cutting is that your lap time is invalidated. I've never seen it flat out drop the lap like this, and I've done my fair share of... Uh... Exploring (ha!) the tracks back when I was learning with the DS4 gamepad.

bradleyland
09-01-2016, 01:31
I have even got a cut track penalty for running up on the rumble strip before...Seems a little too touchy to me, but that is just my opinion.

If you have at least one tire inside the track area, you won't get a cut track penalty. In my experience, you have to run out pretty far in order to get the penalty.

RomKnight
09-01-2016, 13:55
Dubai GP for,a.e., is too tight on T2 as you can't barely touch the rumble strip and your lap time will be invalidated pronto.

biggbaddwolf
09-01-2016, 21:53
Dubai GP for,a.e., is too tight on T2 as you can't barely touch the rumble strip and your lap time will be invalidated pronto.
Yep, and there is a place at Donington, you just barely touch the rumble strip, and get a cut track penalty!

RomKnight
09-01-2016, 22:51
IIRC depends on the session. In race, TT mode cut tracks are more aggressive.

Anyway, i'm sure i got my times invalidated there

Goresh
10-01-2016, 10:41
The penalty for track cutting is that your lap time is invalidated. I've never seen it flat out drop the lap like this, and I've done my fair share of... Uh... Exploring (ha!) the tracks back when I was learning with the DS4 gamepad.

I think in the video, the severity of the cut should warrant the position penalty. I'm not saying that is what is happening in all cases but if the cut is massive, to keep cheating in check, a deterrent as described should be applied.

rw02kr43
11-01-2016, 19:50
I've had the same thing happen on that track. I'll be driving an Audi qutrro or whatever and leading by a good margin. then suddenly I'm last. No one has passed me. I haven't ran off the track. I'm just last. I've actually finished the race before after starting on the pole and never getting passed. Still scored last. This is the only track I've ever had this problem.

biggbaddwolf
12-01-2016, 02:51
I've had the same thing happen on that track. I'll be driving an Audi qutrro or whatever and leading by a good margin. then suddenly I'm last. No one has passed me. I haven't ran off the track. I'm just last. I've actually finished the race before after starting on the pole and never getting passed. Still scored last. This is the only track I've ever had this problem.
Yep Raupuna, or however it is spelled is the only track I have had this problem with...

bradleyland
12-01-2016, 15:53
I think in the video, the severity of the cut should warrant the position penalty. I'm not saying that is what is happening in all cases but if the cut is massive, to keep cheating in check, a deterrent as described should be applied.

Yeah, I agree, but that's kind of off-topic. PCars doesn't apply cut penalties that way, so it can't possibly be the cause of the lost lap.

Goresh
12-01-2016, 16:46
Yeah, I agree, but that's kind of off-topic. PCars doesn't apply cut penalties that way, so it can't possibly be the cause of the lost lap.

Never assume you know all the clever things developers code, I've been editing GTR2 for years and still find new things. I'm not saying I know for sure but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Konan
12-01-2016, 19:59

Had this in formula rookie a couple of days ago...I cut the track (got a "cut track"notification) and when i passed the start/finish line the same lap i was put in last place...not fysically but on the position counter...

Edit:come to think of it,it was an invitational event while in the formula rookie career with the Mercedes 190...i don't remember which circuit though...

bradleyland
12-01-2016, 23:37
Never assume you know all the clever things developers code, I've been editing GTR2 for years and still find new things. I'm not saying I know for sure but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

As a programmer, I'd agree with that ;) However, people are experiencing this issue with minor track cuts. We just don't have video of it.

Goresh
13-01-2016, 10:44
As a programmer, I'd agree with that ;) However, people are experiencing this issue with minor track cuts. We just don't have video of it.

And maybe that is where the error lies. Rather than just applying the penalty to the extreme cuts its mistaking minor cuts and adding the same penalty.