PDA

View Full Version : Ride heights do they visually change?

blk95cars
09-01-2016, 06:55
Im looking at the ruf Rt R and the front end is higher than the rear.
I cant change the ride height with xbox1 version.
It doesnt look right, there are others with same ride height imbalance

havocc
09-01-2016, 11:08
I don't think stuff like camber, ride height and wings can be visually seen, but i might be wrong

Siberian Tiger
09-01-2016, 11:16
Nope, those changes are only in Physic not Visual...

It was out of scope on the release... (Needed some new tech)

Photonmonkey
09-01-2016, 11:20
Is that right? I am sure I did some experimenting and could see visual ride height changes? Just like the fact we were told that sparks from the underbelly were not visible in replays and I have seen them watching a replay at Rouen?

Invincible
09-01-2016, 11:26
Ride height changes, if I'm not mistaken. Camber doesn't change visually. Take any street car and check minimum und maximum ride height - I can see a difference there and I don't think it's only my imagination.

Photonmonkey
09-01-2016, 11:38
Ride height changes, if I'm not mistaken. Camber doesn't change visually. Take any street car and check minimum und maximum ride height - I can see a difference there and I don't think it's only my imagination.

Yep, sure I have seen the changes as this is something I look for. Cannot say I have seen changes in camber but even with default set up in replays I can see a different camber in front and rear wheels on some cars so I am sure it is modelled visually even if it is only the default set up.

nono782
09-01-2016, 12:45
About ride height, I can feel a difference in handling but not in top speed.
It should be more aero efficient.
But if there is no visual change, it's possible we keep the same aero.

blk95cars
09-01-2016, 15:31
With cars you can adjust ride height at its lowest settings should look slammed. Ive tried it before and saw no under body sparks like especially on the open wheel cars. Thats like a must lol how did they forget that lol

Photonmonkey
09-01-2016, 19:46
Right just had to test this, took the DLC Megane out for a spin and set the front camber to max and the rear to 0 then watched a replay back paused when stationary so no suspension motion, did the same but reversed the settings, I could see the camber in the replay subtle as you would expect but there! This was after I read a post stating that the camber is pre-baked visually in the game, I think not or am I going slightly PCARS mad!

Photonmonkey
09-01-2016, 20:09
Ok, hands up I think I am seeing things, my bad! that's disappointing, pre-baked camber it is then. Just checked the Formula Renault and no change made any difference to the visual camber angle!

Photonmonkey
10-01-2016, 18:29
Right, I knew I wasn't going mad :) my investigations on a number of cars, as far as I am concerned ride height is visual in replay etc. Also, camber changes ARE also visible in replays on tin tops, try it with the rocket bunny you can definately see the camber changes in replays, however it would appear for some reason the open wheelers (or the ones I tested are pre-baked and camber changes are not visible)

Sampo
10-01-2016, 19:23
About ride height, I can feel a difference in handling but not in top speed.
It should be more aero efficient.
But if there is no visual change, it's possible we keep the same aero.

I remember Casey responding to this kind of question earlier. Can't remember the answer now. It was sound though, I think.

hkraft300
11-01-2016, 08:13
Right just had to test this, took the DLC Megane out for a spin and set the front camber to max and the rear to 0 then watched a replay back paused when stationary so no suspension motion, did the same but reversed the settings, I could see the camber in the replay subtle as you would expect but there! This was after I read a post stating that the camber is pre-baked visually in the game, I think not or am I going slightly PCARS mad!

Instead of replay maybe you could map buttons for look left/right, go to chase can and swing round to take a screenshot?
Replays don't show as much details as in-game/ trackside...

Invincible
11-01-2016, 08:15
Instead of replay maybe you could map buttons for look left/right, go to chase can and swing round to take a screenshot?
Replays don't show as much details as in-game/ trackside...

Or just go into the garage and have a look. Take a road car for the best results.

cluck
11-01-2016, 09:19
Things like camber should be visible in replay in motion because it is all part of the suspension animation. However, no matter what setting you choose for camber (or toe), it will not affect how the car looks whilst stationary - those are indeed pre-baked, as already mentioned earlier in the thread. I was also of the understanding that ride-height was the same, but I must confess to not having looked.

That said, this was the situation at release and I don't recall it being added in one of the patches but I could very well be mistaken (I often am) :).

Plage
11-01-2016, 10:15
Both is definitely displayed in game. See...

Max. height and min. camber
http://i.imgur.com/qer5uKR.jpg

Min height and max. camber
http://i.imgur.com/iGPvSNX.jpg

/edit:

Min. height and min. camber as requested
http://i.imgur.com/0Y4jGpT.jpg

Invincible
11-01-2016, 10:25
Thanks Plage!
So it's proven, ride height DOES show. But for the camber, I think that's the camber that comes trough lowering the car, not trough the camber settings you've made.
Could you please test, if there is a difference between min and max camber @ min ride height? I would like to test it myself, but unfortunately I'm stuck at work.

Photonmonkey
11-01-2016, 10:31
Thanks Plage!
So it's proven, ride height DOES show. But for the camber, I think that's the camber that comes trough lowering the car, not trough the camber settings you've made.
Could you please test, if there is a difference between min and max camber @ min ride height? I would like to test it myself, but unfortunately I'm stuck at work.

As per Plage's screen shots that's camber not ride height changes I did the same on a number of cars and didn't touch ride height, camber is shown in replays at least on non open wheelers :) FACT!

Photonmonkey
11-01-2016, 10:34
I would post screen shots but not at home at moment ;)

Photonmonkey
11-01-2016, 10:53
Things like camber should be visible in replay in motion because it is all part of the suspension animation. However, no matter what setting you choose for camber (or toe), it will not affect how the car looks whilst stationary - those are indeed pre-baked, as already mentioned earlier in the thread. I was also of the understanding that ride-height was the same, but I must confess to not having looked.

That said, this was the situation at release and I don't recall it being added in one of the patches but I could very well be mistaken (I often am) :).

cluck, the tests I did were with no ride height changes just camber, did it with just one wheel at a time so I could be sure it was there and on replay I paused the game with the car either crawling out of the pit lane so no suspension compression or with the cars at rest and for all the tin tops I tested the camber changes were visible, as previously stated try it on a car like the Rocket Bunny going from minimum to max camber at -4.9 it's obvious. The only cars that it didn't seem to affect were the open wheelers. I will try and post some screen shots later unless someone beats me to it.

cluck
11-01-2016, 11:15
Well colour me corrected then (and not for the first time) :D. Like I said, certainly up to release, it was said that camber changes (and ride height too, I thought) were not reflected in the visual car. If that has changed then I was totally unaware it had been patched in but it's cool if it has :).

Plage
11-01-2016, 12:03
Thanks Plage!

I've added a screenshot with min. height and camber to my first post for comparison. As you can see the camber doesn't comes from just lowering the car but represents the changes made in the setup.

blk95cars
12-01-2016, 21:46
I've added a screenshot with min. height and camber to my first post for comparison. As you can see the camber doesn't comes from just lowering the car but represents the changes made in the setup.

Grandturismo days with aggressive camber or ride height was so obvious kind of funny actually.:D

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
12-01-2016, 21:55
IIRC there were some differences in how the suspension animations for various cars were done, and some did indeed have camber taken from the setup but not all.

blk95cars
12-01-2016, 22:02
actually pausing the replays with pics good way to see the differences. thanks for the pics

Casey Ringley
12-01-2016, 22:22
IIRC there were some differences in how the suspension animations for various cars were done, and some did indeed have camber taken from the setup but not all.

Yes, cars with a fully animated suspension don't have camber changing with your setup; it had to be baked in at a single value. Something we're looking to improve on in the next project.

CPU M Rossi
13-01-2016, 00:57
sadly if you max out the ride out on the caper stock car the wheels are off the ground

maxx2504
13-01-2016, 04:28
Hi !

The thing is when you take Assetto Corsa for example you see directly what happen to the car when you change the height or the camber of the wheel in the box in realtime. Thats really awesome :D

Photonmonkey
13-01-2016, 06:50
Yes, cars with a fully animated suspension don't have camber changing with your setup; it had to be baked in at a single value. Something we're looking to improve on in the next project.

I take it by that you mean the open wheelers? As they are the cars I cannot see any camber changes from set up (which would make sense)

hkraft300
13-01-2016, 08:22
I take it by that you mean the open wheelers? As they are the cars I cannot see any camber changes from set up (which would make sense)

Agree
On a closed-wheel car you have the body as a reference and its easy enough to see.
A few degrees of camber would be hard to spot visually on an open wheel car from most camera angles.
Makes little difference driving in-car cameras but for videos and photos maybe its more obvious.

Photonmonkey
13-01-2016, 11:24
Agree
On a closed-wheel car you have the body as a reference and its easy enough to see.
A few degrees of camber would be hard to spot visually on an open wheel car from most camera angles.
Makes little difference driving in-car cameras but for videos and photos maybe its more obvious.

I think what he was saying is that on open wheelers you have all of the suspension struts etc (moving) modelled so it would have been more complicated to incorporate setup changes to the camber in a visual way hence why it is pre-baked. However as the body of the car hides this on the tin tops it's easier to implement and is shown visually...........Or I may be totally wrong ;)

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
13-01-2016, 12:09
Hi !

The thing is when you take Assetto Corsa for example you see directly what happen to the car when you change the height or the camber of the wheel in the box in realtime. Thats really awesome :DIt's nifty, but then again pCARS does it slightly differently in that it assumes you have a competent engineer working for you who sets the car up so that the end result is what you asked, unlike in AC where you're adjusting various "offsets". =)