PDA

View Full Version : An idea for app developers

Linx
11-01-2016, 04:11
I am very happy at the fact that now console owners can use third party apps such as Crew Chief, HUD Dash, Pcars Dash, etc. My main use for them is to watch tire temps and such (plus makes my rig look so much cooler) and I'm sure people are finding these apps very useful. But I'm wondering if any developer can make a side view mirror app. Not sure how difficult this would be as I know nothing about writing code, but I think it would be very useful since we don't really have the ability to use side view mirrors and running a 3 monitor set up would be very costly for console users (is it even possible with Pcars?). It would be nice to be able to use my phone as a side view mirror and tablet for my telemetry. Another thing would be nice is if you could have split screen so that you can have a left and right side view mirror. Or, have a option to switch from right to left. That way you can have two phones, one for left mirror, another for right. Or have an assigned button to switch between the two. I remember at one point, I think it was Gran Turismo 5, you could use your PSP as a rear view mirror. Anyways I think if someone created this app it would be even more useful then the telemetry apps-meaning-people will buy it. But can I get a free download for the idea? Lol

SUBGTRACER
11-01-2016, 05:01
Cool idea ! not sure if its possible but nice thinking all the same :)

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
11-01-2016, 05:05
That would require placing a new virtual camera (or two to get both sides accurately) inside the game world and then getting the game to render and transmit a video stream to the phone (or necessary info for the phone to render a scene replicating it). Nothing of that sort is really even remotely possible with the current system, which really just transmits some simple telemetry data and rough positional information. I'd guess at best you could have use the same sort of thing the crew chief/race engineer/spotter app uses to have an indicator light up when someone is on your left or right side (so for example left side of the screen lights up when someone is on your left, right side lights up when someone is on your right).

But since we're on the subject of apps and ideas:

It is my understanding that the current version of the system sends out RPM, torque and power data (only RPM and torque are needed though). This information could be used to generate torque/power curves for the cars by simply accelerating from very low revs to the rev limiter in a fairly high gear (4th or 5th usually) on the Test Track.

Would any (preferably Windows since I have no way of using a phone for this because my PC isn't on wifi) app developer be interested in something like this? Essentially just generating a simple graph with RPM on the horizontal and bhp and Nm figures on the vertical, then possibly saving it as a PNG for later use. From where I'm looking at this would both be cool and helpful, it'd make figuring out shifting points a bit easier, and would make adjusting restrictors and wastegates for BoP purposes easier.

RomKnight
11-01-2016, 15:46
Nothing that wasn't though of during development.

In any case if multiple screens could be done with the current render tech i'm sure we would've seen proper triple support way before all that.

mr_belowski
11-01-2016, 15:49
The app would have to draw its own 3D rendering of the track and cars, it'd have no way to know (for example) the time of day, the type or the colour of the other cars, and lots of other things. So the best the app could do would be a (relatively) crude drawing of a generic car on a generic track. Something like Helicorsa is possible - an overhead 'radar' view, but is very immersion breaking. Just use Crew Chief ;)

Linx
11-01-2016, 16:22
I use Crew Chief and love it. What about if it was some sort of radar that gives you the general area of the car next to you. Something like in a fps that shows red in the direction of where the shots are coming from. Or like a airplane fighter game that shows arrows around the edges of your screen that show where the enemy aircraft is behind you?

ELAhrairah
15-01-2016, 17:53
rear view cam on my android tablet ... Please let me dream of this wonderfull app until one day maybe someone will wakenme up :D

MikeyTT
15-01-2016, 19:54
That would require placing a new virtual camera (or two to get both sides accurately) inside the game world and then getting the game to render and transmit a video stream to the phone (or necessary info for the phone to render a scene replicating it). Nothing of that sort is really even remotely possible with the current system, which really just transmits some simple telemetry data and rough positional information. I'd guess at best you could have use the same sort of thing the crew chief/race engineer/spotter app uses to have an indicator light up when someone is on your left or right side (so for example left side of the screen lights up when someone is on your left, right side lights up when someone is on your right).

But since we're on the subject of apps and ideas:

It is my understanding that the current version of the system sends out RPM, torque and power data (only RPM and torque are needed though). This information could be used to generate torque/power curves for the cars by simply accelerating from very low revs to the rev limiter in a fairly high gear (4th or 5th usually) on the Test Track.

Would any (preferably Windows since I have no way of using a phone for this because my PC isn't on wifi) app developer be interested in something like this? Essentially just generating a simple graph with RPM on the horizontal and bhp and Nm figures on the vertical, then possibly saving it as a PNG for later use. From where I'm looking at this would both be cool and helpful, it'd make figuring out shifting points a bit easier, and would make adjusting restrictors and wastegates for BoP purposes easier.

Jussi: Maybe you can help determine what the "engine speed" variable actually is. I've had a look and can't figure that one out. Doesn't seem to correlate to anything I can figure out. With that said, what you're after (RPM/torque and calculated BHP) should be easy to create. I have a graph with torque and the "engine speed" now, but I'll look at performing the calculation and stick it in a graph against RPM. Might need some extra thought tho, as it would be difficult to map just torque and rpm, as the main horizontal axis is time currently. Let me see if I can come up with something.