PDA

View Full Version : I go under the cars when I hit them

jaildesigner
12-01-2016, 10:16
This happens to me a lot. When I hit a car from behind, I always make them fly, put them on "two tires" or just overtake them by behind. Even at low speeds.
The only thing that I can think is because that setting in the hardware section (don't remember the name) that I tweak from 4.0 to 7.0 to avoid cars changing size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tZSdHvOysQ

I use to drive with the McLaren GTR but it happens with other cars too

centurian
12-01-2016, 10:41
That centre pedal is a brake .. try using that sometimes and quit ramming 'em :D

12-01-2016, 13:57
When you hit a car at 170 kph and your car is shaped like a ramp with low front what do you expect?

Invincible
12-01-2016, 14:17
When you hit a car at 170 kph and your car is shaped like a ramp with low front what do you expect?

^ This. If you think there is a "Bug" or something wrong with the physics here, just go ahead - rent a wedge-shaped car and hit someone with that speed whilst he is braking and raising his tail...

TurtleCrunchy
12-01-2016, 14:38
I have a solution, try braking.

This isn't BeamNG

bradleyland
12-01-2016, 15:11
Have a close look at your video. You're approaching the hairpin at 180 kph, and the car in front of you is nearly stopped. In the frame before the impact, your wheel is turned, so I can't see the actual speed, but in the last frame I can see the dash, you were doing 164 kph. Just imagine that impact in real life! :)

I'd suggest two things:

1) Save the replay from your races and look critically at the results. The key there is that you should be critical of your driving first, and the game second.

2) Look at some of the PCars lap analyzer tools that are available. Many offer analysis of braking points and corner speeds, which will tell you where you're making mistakes.

ELAhrairah
12-01-2016, 15:14
Guys come on it isn't entirley normal to see this car physics behaviour. I have been experiencing some weird stuff as well when it comes to car physics. Its okay to question ones driving style but can you also try to translate this type of car behaviour to real life and question the discrepancies? Cars in gt classes bump into eachothers rear all the time and you dont see cars flying over the bonnet all the time. Yes it can happen but not in the frequency you see in pcars.

To my opinion there are really some improvents to be made in the way physics was coded. Hopefully they will improve some aspects of it in pcars 2.

Edit: a suggestion came into mind: maybe it would help if they would make the cars "stick" more to the ground. Make them heavier. At the moment they seem to flip over as easily as certain madams at the red lights district of Amsterdam

jaildesigner
12-01-2016, 15:56
Hahaha, I accept, of course, all the laughing at my driving style. Certainly this wasn't the best example of what I'm trying to demonstrate and yes, I hit that car maybe too much. But I can tell you that I can make cars fly with much more less impact strength.

Sometimes is just something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9GGDOUDLhc

I will upload a video when it happens again :)

beetes_juice
12-01-2016, 16:05
Yeah, wouldn't say this is the best example of "going under"

You had a rear-ender going 100+ mph....some weird sh** is going to happen. Brake!!!!

Times I have issues with this are in lower speed turns with open wheel class; especially the 98T (turn 2 @ Brands GP grrrrrr!). Even the slightest bump, the car in front will lift its rear end. This is expected though as the 98T is a ramp + rocket on wheels.

McClusky
12-01-2016, 16:20
Look at this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlbffSYQxi4), different scenario but it does happen in the real world. I believe these cars have plates underneath them (sorry I don't know the "technical" term) so its pretty "smooth" underneath these cars.

Roger Prynne
12-01-2016, 16:32
In all the years I've been playing this game I don't think that has happened to me more than twice.

In your vid, if there wasn't a car in front of you, I don't think you would have made that corner anyway.

And yes it does happen IRL as well.

bradleyland
12-01-2016, 16:34
Guys come on it isn't entirley normal to see this car physics behaviour. I have been experiencing some weird stuff as well when it comes to car physics. Its okay to question ones driving style but can you also try to translate this type of car behaviour to real life and question the discrepancies? Cars in gt classes bump into eachothers rear all the time and you dont see cars flying over the bonnet all the time. Yes it can happen but not in the frequency you see in pcars.

To my opinion there are really some improvents to be made in the way physics was coded. Hopefully they will improve some aspects of it in pcars 2.

Edit: a suggestion came into mind: maybe it would help if they would make the cars "stick" more to the ground. Make them heavier. At the moment they seem to flip over as easily as certain madams at the red lights district of Amsterdam

No, you're right. This isn't normal physics behavior. Normally when you drive in to the back of another car at 170 kph, both cars cease to exist in a single solid form, spewing parts all over the race course, usually causing a full course yellow.

The only bug is in the fact that the developers haven't yet found a way to convey the forces of a 100 MPH crash to people who insist that their simulator isn't simulating very well. The reality is that if you had just driven in to the back of another car at 100 MPH, a car "flying in to the air" would be the expected result; only you wouldn't notice, because you'd be too concerned with things like not burning up in the resulting fire, or wondering whether your retinas just detached, or thanking your lucky stars for the Hans device.

ELAhrairah
12-01-2016, 17:29
No, you're right. This isn't normal physics behavior. Normally when you drive in to the back of another car at 170 kph, both cars cease to exist in a single solid form, spewing parts all over the race course, usually causing a full course yellow.

The only bug is in the fact that the developers haven't yet found a way to convey the forces of a 100 MPH crash to people who insist that their simulator isn't simulating very well. The reality is that if you had just driven in to the back of another car at 100 MPH, a car "flying in to the air" would be the expected result; only you wouldn't notice, because you'd be too concerned with things like not burning up in the resulting fire, or wondering whether your retinas just detached, or thanking your lucky stars for the Hans device.

Ey man stop playing with my balls I'm just saying cars act sometimes werid in project cars single player. :D

I play mostly single player and I have seen cars beeing flipped on their head just because they went over a cerb .

bradleyland
12-01-2016, 18:15
Ey man stop playing with my balls I'm just saying cars act sometimes werid in project cars single player. :D

I play mostly single player and I have seen cars beeing flipped on their head just because they went over a cerb .

The physics aren't perfect — we agree on that much — but what you've provided isn't a good example.

kevin kirk
12-01-2016, 20:03

...the sausage curbs behind the curb will do some nasty things to cars. Wether its the one big one or the 3 small ones at lamans. We seen it in the f3 spa crash in the video I posted on that thread and we seen it in the Prost formula e crash last year. All that plus the big debate last year about the FIA allowing tracks to use them because they launch cars should have corrected your opinion on that subject.

ELAhrairah
13-01-2016, 12:36
...the sausage curbs behind the curb will do some nasty things to cars. Wether its the one big one or the 3 small ones at lamans. We seen it in the f3 spa crash in the video I posted on that thread and we seen it in the Prost formula e crash last year. All that plus the big debate last year about the FIA allowing tracks to use them because they launch cars should have corrected your opinion on that subject.
That was a video of a car in a slide thatgot caught by a cerb so no id did not change my opinion to be honest

jaildesigner
14-01-2016, 20:23
I have a new vid. Still to fast? and it's ok this behaviour?

http://youtu.be/5zpMYLs_pxY

I'm just asking, not trying to troll. Sorry by the quality, I used the phone.

Cheers.

TwilightUA
14-01-2016, 20:57
I think that's still too fast. The first thought that pops up when I watch this video is "well, that's a crash", not "meh... slight bump".

ELAhrairah
14-01-2016, 22:45
I have a new vid. Still to fast? and it's ok this behaviour?

http://youtu.be/5zpMYLs_pxY

I'm just asking, not trying to troll. Sorry by the quality, I used the phone.

Cheers.

I don't care what people say and who places a comment I still stand by my innitial comment: the cars are to "light" and flip over wayyyyyyyy to fast. This is just another example of the so many I experienced at even a lower speed.

I hope this is somewhat changed in Pcars2.

For the rest I find Project cars a hell of a game! I really enjoy it !

vahagn_hayk
14-01-2016, 22:52
Doesn't look like many understand what OP and others are trying to say, IMO physics are off when it comes to collisions, regardless how you turn and twist what people post, too fast, too slow, not braking and etc...collisions and physics are off and way too many weird things going on. Agree with users posting videos, in RL u won't just dig under and lift the vehicle, maybe once in a million chances. Plenty of super car crash compilations on YouTube...to watch what happens when super cars "wedge" style/ body vehicles hit stopping or stopped vehicle(s).

TwilightUA
14-01-2016, 23:58
Doesn't look like many understand what OP and others are trying to say, IMO physics are off when it comes to collisions, regardless how you turn and twist what people post, too fast, too slow, not braking and etc...collisions and physics are off and way too many weird things going on. Agree with users posting videos, in RL u won't just dig under and lift the vehicle, maybe once in a million chances. Plenty of super car crash compilations on YouTube...to watch what happens when super cars "wedge" style/ body vehicles hit stopping or stopped vehicle(s).

No one says that collision physics is correct. There is a large room for improvement. I'm pretty sure there will be no changes for PCars1. But let's be honest, it's not normal to hit a car in front of you that hard, like in videos posted above. I don't remember rear end someone hard enough to take his\her back end of a car off the ground.

thepharcyde
15-01-2016, 19:25
Pretend race cars had a field day on this thread

webuserjonny
16-01-2016, 12:57
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWwGHGZDmEM

resmania
16-01-2016, 13:01

I show this to anyone who complains about pCARS' bad crash physics xD

vahagn_hayk
16-01-2016, 13:12
No one says that collision physics is correct. There is a large room for improvement. I'm pretty sure there will be no changes for PCars1. But let's be honest, it's not normal to hit a car in front of you that hard, like in videos posted above. I don't remember rear end someone hard enough to take his\her back end of a car off the ground.

i don't either, and I know what you are saying. do agree! BUT things and crazy stuff happens in racing, just racing against AI in pcars1 their actions and driving sometimes causes crazy flying, lift offs and other bumpy/ jumpy stuff going on, and while you certainly don't drive into the rear end like that, the physics should not be equal everytime for the car in front to lift off or get thrown into the air, there are so many details if one watches replays and in slow motion, over the road, bumps and kurbs, you can immediately tell something is not right, too much hovering and flying over the road going on or tires sinking into the road / kurbs. but that's what i have noticed, and while not knowing how almost all race cars are like, i can certainly say that R8 does not feel like the real car i drove arouns the track! no matter what the FFB system does or tweak it to and neither did the R8 LMS feel like the real thing, but i am in no way a race driver, just thought the FFB of this game is so "out of whack" could NOT get it tweaked to feel like the real car at all! and asking race drivers, everything and anything is possible, but every hit in the rear of a car in front IS SURELY not a lift off as it is in pcars1 almost 85% of the time.

DreamsKnight
16-01-2016, 13:50
yes surely.

all experts in physics inside here.

a simple counting: gravity is an acceleration of 9,8 m/s. equals to 35,28 km/h.

Third law of Newton: When a first body exerts a force F1 on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force F2 = −F1 on the first body. This means that F1 and F2 are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

first video on youtube i found, but is pretty full of crashing videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6cEuyWlA38

Mad Al
16-01-2016, 16:23
Come on, do it properly....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfxCpqbY59A

DreamsKnight
16-01-2016, 16:54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfxCpqbY59A

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

i want a gif.

Sum Dixon-Ear
16-01-2016, 19:01

jaildesigner
16-01-2016, 22:11

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! This is amazing! And the yellow driver continues like nothing had happened xDDDDD

Goothrey
16-01-2016, 22:41
I did that the other day with the McLaren 12C GT3 as well. It's front does resemble a bit of a wedge.

davekojo
18-01-2016, 03:33

This is a bug. SMS fix it or I'm never playing project cars again... But I'll still post on the forum and complain that the physics are all wrong

Morgan Henstridge
18-01-2016, 04:23
you have to remember that the Mclaren has a very low nose. Combined with the fact that the AI car is braking, so will be in a nose down, rear up attitude, with a lot of the weight transfer to the front, and you are hitting it very hard from behind.

If you were in a car with a flatter front like the SLS GT3, this would be less likely to happen. But as others have already stated, with those closing distances, and indestructible cars, it can never be entirely realistic.

My question to the OP would be, in that situation, what would you like / expect to see happen???

webuserjonny
18-01-2016, 10:09
Maybe patch 9.0 could come complete with a Penny........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOd5YCzEu7Q&feature=youtu.be

Yorkie065
18-01-2016, 10:43
I think replicating real life collision physics are always going to be very difficult. Yes some games may do it better than others but trying to accurately re-create all the forces both cars will go through in an impact like that would be very difficult to do correctly, on top of all the other normal physics calculations the game can do. Basically limited to the power of the system or consoles.

I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if someone has mentioned this, but in real life, body work is designed to bend, break and crumple in such a way so that as much of the impact is absorbed as possible to keep the driver safe. Compare that in Project Cars where our damage model is limited due to licensing, the bodies of the car in the game are much much stiffer, and don't crumple like they would in real life. Also hit boxes would be a cause for the scooping of other cars like it was in development, and they were adjusted on a lot of cars to stop it from happening all the time. Obviously the speed differences here are large, and as the body work doesn't crumble to absorb the impact, the two cars had to go somewhere in terms of direction, which was obviously up over the car behind.

jaildesigner
24-01-2016, 05:57
My question to the OP would be, in that situation, what would you like / expect to see happen???

Hi, sorry for my english but, I would expect anything except lifting to the air. I mean, the AI car could have been pushed to the front, losing direction and maybe forcing him to turn/spin. I'm not a car enthusiast but I'm a game enthusiast. I'm used to collisions like Motorstorm, Burnout, Ridge Racer, Lotus, Out Run, Need for Speed 3DO, etc..

Have you seen my second video? My 'complain' is that cars tend to lift very easy when I just expect a bump.

But this is just chat, remember. I love this game so much that I care to come here to read and post. :)

skells22
24-01-2016, 08:26
did people forgot about the F3 crash in Macau that one car went underneath in a past race at the street track.