PDA

View Full Version : Fuel question

biggbaddwolf
13-01-2016, 02:55
Just wondering if you guys run default fuel in your cars, or add more or less? Also as the fuel burns off does it affect the handling, speed, etc of the cars?

Umer Ahmad
13-01-2016, 03:49
Yes, fuel does burn off and cars weigh less

Thats IF fuel usage is turned on. If you got a race with fuel usage = off then it (the burn off and weight reduction) is not simulated.

So yeah, dont take a full fuel load for a 6 lap race.

Umer Ahmad
13-01-2016, 03:50
Good reading
http://en.pcars.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Physics

biggbaddwolf
13-01-2016, 04:53
Good reading
http://en.pcars.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Physics
That is some good information..thanks :D

biggbaddwolf
14-01-2016, 04:17
Just did a little test with the Alpine A450 at Watkins Glen short track in free practice. I ran five laps with default fuel setting which is 60 gallons. My fastest lap was 1:05:96. Then I filled it up, which was 75 gallons, and my fastest out of five was 1:05:14. So I ran a bit faster lap with a full fuel load, which kinda surprised me. So I think it don't make a whole lot of difference.

beetes_juice
14-01-2016, 05:17
It makes a difference. Cut it in half, try 30-40, then cut that in half again, 15-20.

If that scenario was in practice you can attribute the time to increased track grip from +laps or just simple practice.

BigDad
14-01-2016, 06:14
Just did a little test with the Alpine A450 at Watkins Glen short track in free practice. I ran five laps with default fuel setting which is 60 gallons. My fastest lap was 1:05:96. Then I filled it up, which was 75 gallons, and my fastest out of five was 1:05:14. So I ran a bit faster lap with a full fuel load, which kinda surprised me. So I think it don't make a whole lot of difference.
Make sure fuel usage is turned on .

Invincible
14-01-2016, 06:20
Also, please take into consideration, that the fuel amount is measured in liter, not gallons. 75 gallons would be 273 Liter. A bit too much, don't you think so? :p

biggbaddwolf
14-01-2016, 07:05
Make sure fuel usage is turned on .
Of course :D

biggbaddwolf
14-01-2016, 07:08
Also, please take into consideration, that the fuel amount is measured in liter, not gallons. 75 gallons would be 273 Liter. A bit too much, don't you think so? :p

Ok well I am in the USA, and I think in gallons instead of liters, but that isn't really the point of my post. The point being I ran a faster lap with a heavier fuel load.

Invincible
14-01-2016, 07:15
Ok well I am in the USA, and I think in gallons instead of liters, but that isn't really the point of my post. The point being I ran a faster lap with a heavier fuel load.

I know, I know. My point was rather that the weight difference between 60 and 75 gallons would be much greater than it is for 60 - 75 liters and that this might compromise your expectations. So the total weight difference would only be around 11 - 12 kg / 24 - 26 lbs - not very much to expect a clear difference in lap times, even in a full bred race car. Varying braking or steer-in points would have a much greater difference here than a few lbs weight loss.

hkraft300
14-01-2016, 08:13
Also car setup for heavy vs light load could make a difference? Practice too as mentioned.

Race teams spend tens of thousands of /€/$ to shave pounds off the race car.
I'd just hire a nutritionist for the drivers ;)

60->75 litres isn't a big difference in weight.
Try some laps at full fuel then try with only ~10 litres on board. That's a big enough margin to show a difference in lap time if you're consistent enough on the limit.

biggbaddwolf
14-01-2016, 15:07
Also car setup for heavy vs light load could make a difference? Practice too as mentioned.

Race teams spend tens of thousands of /€/$ to shave pounds off the race car.
I'd just hire a nutritionist for the drivers ;)

60->75 litres isn't a big difference in weight.
Try some laps at full fuel then try with only ~10 litres on board. That's a big enough margin to show a difference in lap time if you're consistent enough on the limit.
Car set up was default in both cases.

hkraft300
14-01-2016, 15:27
Car set up was default in both cases.

Just an example, I can set my brake pressure slightly higher with a heavier fuel load. As the weight drops through a race I tend to lock up that little bit more.
Noticeable difference on a gamepad without abs.
I'm sure you'd have better feel of weight transition and complaints from the tyres using an ffb wheel.