PDA

View Full Version : Problems exaggerated by Le Mans.

Gherkin44
15-01-2016, 13:42
This is a little bit of a rant, and some of these points have probably been covered already but w/e. There are some problems with the game that are manageable in most races except 24hrs of Le Mans. I have now driven the race 3 times and each time it's the same.

Headlights
The headlights in the game have always been sub-par but it can be dealt with on most circuits but on Le Mans, where mistakes are easiest to make, and have the most consequences, they really should be better. They aren't bright enough and there are no options to adjust them. At Le Mans, the set up of the lights is a big deal and teams spend a lot of time getting the brightness, angle and distance right. The default lights on PCars barely allow you to see 10ft ahead, which is ridiculous.
"Cut Track"
This is the most annoying thing. Again, it can be dealt with on other circuits, but due to the length of the race and time spent on old tyres compared to other races, its easy to make a mistake and take a bit too much kerb - but my lap time shouldn't be invalidated, and I sure as hell shouldn't be DQ'd for it!
Graphical Performance
Why, at Le Sarthe, but nowhere else, does the framrate tank to <40fps. It's fine at the start of the lap, then on Mulsanne it dips to about 52 before gradually getting worse until the first sector again. I even turned down the graphical settings to the point where I couldn't read the decals from the car ahead, and still the framerate drops. Clearly a technical issue that should be fixed. And again, due to the length of Le Mans and poor lighting at night, it's really jarring to have the framerate all choppy so you can barely make out details smoothly.

Shinzah
15-01-2016, 13:50
"Cut Track"
This is the most annoying thing. Again, it can be dealt with on other circuits, but due to the length of the race and time spent on old tyres compared to other races, its easy to make a mistake and take a bit too much kerb - but my lap time shouldn't be invalidated, and I sure as hell shouldn't be DQ'd for it!

If you run four tires off, you're bound to get a penalty. If you're caught, you get your lap invalidated. Unless you run wide in established safe zones or while lapping that's the rules. It doesn't matter how long the race is or the condition of your tires.

Unfortunately for us, computers don't discriminate and they always know. Which makes things especially punishing. However with new advancements in automated race monitoring technology, what's being experienced in pcars may actually be *ahead* of the curve.

I do agree it can be harsh, but there's also rarely reason to run out off the course limits unless while lapping in an endurance race.

Graphical Performance
Why, at Le Sarthe, but nowhere else, does the framrate tank to <40fps. It's fine at the start of the lap, then on Mulsanne it dips to about 52 before gradually getting worse until the first sector again. I even turned down the graphical settings to the point where I couldn't read the decals from the car ahead, and still the framerate drops. Clearly a technical issue that should be fixed. And again, due to the length of Le Mans and poor lighting at night, it's really jarring to have the framerate all choppy so you can barely make out details smoothly.

Could you tell us your PC specs and settings?

I tend to get better frames at LM than most courses, actually...

Mahjik
15-01-2016, 13:53
There is a performance issue noted at Le Mans. I doubt it will change for pCARS1 so you'll likely just have to deal with it. Only time will tell but SMS is aware of why it happens.

KkDrummer
15-01-2016, 14:35
There is a performance issue noted at Le Mans. I doubt it will change for pCARS1 so you'll likely just have to deal with it. Only time will tell but SMS is aware of why it happens.

yeah...it happens on consoles as well...it is like it's not been optmizied like other tracks...

ARNAGEist
15-01-2016, 14:37
I do agree it can be harsh, but there's also rarely reason to run out off the course limits unless while lapping in an endurance race.
Have you ever been to a 24 hour race? I've been to about 20 and I can tell you it's a lot more likely over a stint in the dark at Le Mans than most other tracks.
I've lost count the no of times I've seen LMP or GT cars miss the Ford Chicanes or Tertre Rouge some the cars have taken off literally.

Mario Andretti (I believe he was quite successful) sums it up nicely "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"

The penalty system is still stupidly harsh:mad:

Shinzah
15-01-2016, 14:54
Have you ever been to a 24 hour race? I've been to about 20 and I can tell you it's a lot more likely over a stint in the dark at Le Mans than most other tracks.
I've lost count the no of times I've seen LMP or GT cars miss the Ford Chicanes or Tertre Rouge some the cars have taken off literally.

Mario Andretti (I believe he was quite successful) sums it up nicely "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"

The penalty system is still stupidly harsh:mad:

Many. And I've gotten used to hearing "Stop Plus 60" over the radio, too.

Drivers say many things about many things, but driving aggressively in an endurance race is far removed from driving aggressively in a sprint format race.

I've seen cars run off too, but far and wide they are usually in circumstances or being driven by Silver rated or lower drivers. Rules are rules, and rules governed by a computer are very uncaring. A more track specific algorithm would be difficult to implement into the calculations, and a more lenient system over all the tracks would start to defeat the purpose of the ruleset. What edge of the sword do you want?